(Topic ID: 239045)

Arduino Pinball Controller

By AmokSolderer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you using the APC and what's the reason if not?”

• I'm using APC with MPF 4 votes
      15%
    • I'm programming APC natively 2 votes
      7%
    • I'm waiting for PinMame support 5 votes
      19%
    • I have an APC board, but I still have to populate it 3 votes
      11%
    • I would only use the APC if populated boards were available 13 votes
      48%

(27 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240317_224906 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220326_054355 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220324_115019 (resized).jpg
    0803_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220306_221732 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220225_113217 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220224_102209 (resized).jpg
    afficheur (resized).jpg
    bootok (resized).jpg
    20220225_100158 (resized).jpg
    20220225_100214 (resized).jpg
    20220225_084428 (resized).jpg
    U1wrongPol (resized).jpg
    453DBE7E-8CD8-4CAE-82B9-46E2E87021F9 (resized).jpeg
    32FCCD80-1C7F-4782-84A2-0C0FFE9F3D78 (resized).jpeg
    BA633E7E-D152-46C5-932E-E625D68C0A1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matiou.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from AmokSolderer:

Bontango is doing the PinMame stuff. At the moment we're planning to extract the WAV files from PinMame and put them on an SD Card. Then PinMame can just tell the APC when to play which file. This makes changing sounds an easy job, since you can just change the files. Of course they have to be extracted for every game, but this must only be done once and can be automated.
    Actually we're going to try it this weekend with my Pinbot.

I'm interested! I was planning to do something like that at some point when I was not able to repair my Firepower sound board. However I gave up when I found out sounds where "layered", and successive calls to the same sound address were not producing the same results (it tunes the sound differently, for repetitive background sound as an example, to change the pace).

1 month later
    #230 4 years ago

I did a shaker controller for a friend of mine. It features an Arduino Mini (or Nano) with 16 inputs which are 100V tolerant. That means you can connect any input with a solenoid output or some lines of the switch/lamp matrix of your pinball machine. By this you'd be able to program an event that can be triggered by certain patterns of the lamps, switches or solenoids.

Thanks for sharing this shaker controller design, looks great! Can you directly connect the circuit to an existing switch matrix, to detect switch status without "disturbing" the behavior of the switch matrix ? If yes, I'm super interested! I'm working on implementing in my WCS94 an Arduino to control a shaker and I would like to connect it to its switch matrix... I thought I needed some kind of optocoupler to make sure I wasn't disturbing the pinball logic, but maybe not?

my thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-shaker-in-world-cup-soccer-1994

#235 4 years ago

The switch matrix requires low currents in order not to disturb it.

I'm going to order some BSS123 and give it a try on my WCS94 machine's switch matrix.

1 month later
    #370 3 years ago

I did a shaker controller for a friend of mine. It features an Arduino Mini (or Nano) with 16 inputs which are 100V tolerant.

Hi Frank, could you suggest a through hole equivalent to the BSS123 ? I don't think I'm good enough to solder tiny surface mount components

1 month later
    #399 3 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

I DID IT...
    The Gottlieb System 80B lamp board. I am never hand wiring a board this complex again.
    [quoted image]

Impressive prototype board! Nice!

7 months later
    #481 3 years ago

FYI I'm part of the group purchase organized by ThatOneDude and my plans are to use APC for a System 6 (Firepower), which I guess was never done/tested... I hope it's going to be possible!

2 weeks later
    #507 3 years ago
    Quoted from Edy_Wang:

Hi everyone, new to APC, have a Firepower and wish to rebuild using this board

Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Are you wanting to do the code in C++ or Python? I would suggest using MPF for this instead.

I guess you can also just use lisy to get the pinmame emulation of Firepower, and not code any line...

Soon I will also experiment APC in my Firepower... I'll keep you posted.

#516 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Just to not that Firepower (System6) is not supported (yet) by LISY.
    Had a look to the pinmame code, which is very similar to System7, so implmentation 'should' not be that difficult.
    Let me know when you are ready and I will provide a beta version for your firepower.

Oh sorry I thought it was... I think I found a "game number" for it in the doc so I concluded (a bit quickly) that it was there
    No rush, I will let you know when I get there. Thanks!

Mat

#521 3 years ago

My turn...
    I have a Firepower for which I'm planning to use the APC.
    At first, just with custom code for fun... but I guess ultimately with Lisy/pinMame.

Mat

#531 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

Beta support for System3, 4, 6 and 6A on APC with latest LISY version available!
    https://lisy.dev/version_5x.html
    Tested 'on the bench' only, as I do not own any Williams pinball of this type.
    Handle with care, feedback welcome!

You're fast! Thanks! Will definitely test and give feedback..... but I'm far from being ready here!

#540 3 years ago

Saturday night soldering.............
    Coming along nicely.

PXL_20210207_052619748 (resized).jpgPXL_20210207_052619748 (resized).jpg
    #543 3 years ago

Looks good, now it's just the Molex connectors.

Working on it!

#544 3 years ago

what do you think about posting a short description of your APC setup (which machine you want to use and if you want to use it with MPF, PinMame or C code)? This would give us an overview of how our system is used and what to improve. Additionally you might find people working on the same stuff and could combine your efforts.

Maybe it could be cool to have this info as a key post of this thread (or maybe in the first post)... a summary little table with pinsider names / APC project details.

#550 3 years ago
    Quoted from Apex:

Did you make an error in soldering the board? Shouldn't P7 be a 2x3 socket?

good catch! in fact the "error" was made on my Due... on which I soldered sockets instead of pins... at the end it does not matter much...

PXL_20210210_021819113 (resized).jpgPXL_20210210_021819113 (resized).jpg
    #559 3 years ago

On my side, I'm in the middle of installing the APC in my Firepower... I'm improvising some supports for the board and have to cut some zip ties to reorganize the connectors to reach their locations on the board... But it's going well so far! I'll have an update shortly.

Quick feedback (minor), on the connector layout drawing (APC_Connectors.png), a red cross is missing to indicate the pin to cut on sys7_2J5

#561 3 years ago

The Arduino is programmed and the APC board is finally installed in my Firepower, yes! I have at this point only the minimum harnesses (switches, displays, power), and no Pi.

I'm trying to set up the display by following the instructions in "/DOC/Settings.md". The doc says to go through the options by pressing start until "a single 6 is shown on the player 4 display" (Firepower being a system 6 game, with 6 digit displays). Unfortunately I never get this "6" showing up in the 4th display...

The 4th player display cycles through these values:
    "-0939-"
    "-306--"
    "-01066"
    "0-4---"
    "-00170"
    "-30093"
    "------"
    "------"
    and then back to "-0939-" but never "-----6" or "-----7".

I suspect the issue is related to the 2 blank options ("------"), they might be where the "6" and the "7" should have showed up. Maybe the system tries to display the "6" or the "7" on the missing 7th digit... which results into an empty display...

#567 3 years ago

matiou V00.22 also features System6 display support. It's my first try, so don't expect too much, but please play around a bit and tell me what does work and what doesn't.

Awesome, thanks! Unfortunately I won't be able to test much right now... As you may have seen in the news, Texas is a mess right now. I lost power/heat/water so cannot really play with pinballs... But I'm ok! I will let you know when I can get back to it.

#569 3 years ago

My best wishes for you and your family. Looking forward to hearing from you when the power is back.

Thanks! Power and internet are back since yesterday night. I'll resume the tests soon! (I still have no water, but who needs water to play pinball )

#570 3 years ago

matiou V00.22 also features System6 display support. It's my first try, so don't expect too much, but please play around a bit and tell me what does work and what doesn't.

Ok so I installed 0.22 and now I can see the "6" when browsing the display options... yes!

However the "credit" display is still messed up when i try to go through all the options, it does not show the option index correctly. The "player 4" display seems to work and shows the selected setting value... I managed to blindly go to "save settings" by counting my steps, and it worked (I successfully got a setting file created on the sd card)

#572 3 years ago

What happens exactly, does the credit display show anything at all? If yes does this change when you cycle through the settings?

yes, the credit display is showing some numbers... here is what i get when going through "system" options:

credit / player #4
    ----19 / -----6 display type
    ----65 / -----3 active game
    -3--6- / -----3 nb of balls
    ----5- / -----1 free game
    ----34 / -----2 connect type
    -43--- / -----0 dim inserts
    --5-52 / ----00 speaker volume
    -3---- / ----00 led lamps
    -4--80 / -----0 sol ext board
    ----7- / -----0 debug mode
    --4-25 / ------ restore default
    -73-4- / ------ exit settings

but i guess the most important is that now i can clearly see the selected values, so i'm no longer blocked (i just have to count my steps when going into the options)... thanks for the very quick fix!

#574 3 years ago

I think I found the problem. V00.22 has been updated, please try again.

Yep it's working, I now see the option numbers! Thanks again for a quick fix!

I managed to go further into my tests... and have some issues, but they might be on my side.
    Display test works... Lamp test works but does not turn on all lamps... Solenoids are not triggered... Sound works but super loud...
    I need a bit of time to figure all this out!

#576 3 years ago

Are you using the digital volume control or the old pot on connector 10J4?
    It might be that Williams used another pot value for System6, so try to disconnect 10J4 and use the digital volume control instead.

Continuing my System 6 adventures:
    - I'm now using the digital volume control and it's working well... I'll debug later what was wrong with the pot.
    - The lamps are working well in "single lamp test", turning one by one. However, the lamp index on the display seems wrong (not incrementing well and many lamps are showing the same index)
    - For the solenoids... well I need to troubleshoot a bit more: the F2 fuse blew, I guess the board triggered a locked solenoid.

#579 3 years ago

The testmode of the BaseCode should now support System6 displays, so you could give it another try.

wow you're fast
    yep that fixed it... the lamp index is now incrementing nicely. thanks!

little remark about lamp test, not blocking: in test mode 4, all the lamps turn on, one by one, no problem. in test mode 5, all the lamps turn on except the 8 first (first column of the lamp matrix).

i will test the solenoids tomorrow... right now everybody sleeps in the house, I cannot make noise!

#581 3 years ago

(...) I just changed it.

And it's confirmed working, all lights are now blinking!

Ok now for the solenoids... I did not want to risk to blow the solenoid fuse again, so I decided to test with some LEDs... I built myself a little board with an old 9 pin connector:
    PXL_20210225_042701758 (resized).jpgPXL_20210225_042701758 (resized).jpg

Then I went to "test mode 3" with my board plugged in successively in 2J9, 2J11 and 2J12

My results using this test mode:
    - no LED is staying locked on... good!
    - solenoids 1 to 16 are pulsed correctly (they turn on the matching LED)... good!
    - the special solenoids 17 to 22 (2J12) were not pulsed during the test mode (led stayed off)... maybe normal ?
    - every time solenoids 1 to 8 are pulsed, they're followed by solenoid 12 being pulsed as well... I tried to put "BC_ACselectRelay = 0;" in BaseCode.ino but it did not change anything

#582 3 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

every time solenoids 1 to 8 are pulsed, they're followed by solenoid 12 being pulsed as well... I tried to put "BC_ACselectRelay = 0;" in BaseCode.ino but it did not change anything

Ok I found my mistake! I went to the game settings option and changed the ac relay option to zero and now the test behaves well (no more unwanted pulses on 12). So my only solenoid test issue left is about solenoid 17 and above not being pulsed.

#584 3 years ago

We're 8000km apart and you just located a cold solder joint on my board impressive!
    I fixed the joint arduino/p2 and now my leds are flashing!

#587 3 years ago

Ok, now that I know the APC works thanks to all the tests... Let's go for LISY!

I installed my PI zero on the APC board, with the latest LISY image.
    I did the APC settings (remote mode etc...) and selected my game (Firepower = 16)
    Then... it did not work... I saw the countdown on the display, but no attract mode.
    I turned the machine off and back on, no change... Lisy boots, but no attract mode.
    I turned off, took the LISY sd card to my computer to check if I could find any debug info... I could not find anything, so I decided to add a jumper on the APC at the "lisy debug" position. I also updated the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file to get wifi enabled.
    Then I started the pinball again... and it worked... I could reach the attract mode of Firepower! Yeah!
    (not sure which action above fixed it... or if it just needed to be rebooted one more time)

I inserted a credit and started a game... successfully! (no sound at this point, but that's normal, I did not set any sound file yet)
    However... the displays are not working very well.
    In attract mode the player displays show "003300" "007333" "006-10" "001--6" (see picture below). They should all show "----00". However, every 2 seconds, display #1 shows the high score correctly "550000".
    When I play I get what I think is the correct score in display #1... But when I touch a target or score something, display #1 becomes again "003300" for a short time, before displaying the score again.
    PXL_20210227_045123229 (resized).jpgPXL_20210227_045123229 (resized).jpg

Not sure if it helps, but in the LISY debug log, regarding displays, I see:

[141.952817][0.000341] LISY_Mini: Client supports 5 displays
    [141.953330][0.000513] Display no: 0 has type: 1 (BCD7, BCD Code for 7 Segment Displays without comma) with 4 segments
    [141.953835][0.000505] Display no: 1 has type: 1 (BCD7, BCD Code for 7 Segment Displays without comma) with 6 segments
    [141.954339][0.000504] Display no: 2 has type: 1 (BCD7, BCD Code for 7 Segment Displays without comma) with 6 segments
    [141.954855][0.000516] Display no: 3 has type: 1 (BCD7, BCD Code for 7 Segment Displays without comma) with 6 segments
    [141.955369][0.000514] Display no: 4 has type: 1 (BCD7, BCD Code for 7 Segment Displays without comma) with 6 segments

Is it normal to see this reference to "BCD Code for 7 segment displays" if my displays have only 6 ?

#590 3 years ago

Here's a display log during attract mode:
    https://pastebin.com/Y7YH4L8c

during attract mode my actual displays alternatively show:
    Player1: 003300
    Player2: 007333
    Player3: 006-10
    Player4: 001--6
    Credits: 00
    Balls: 00
    and (briefly)
    Player1: 550000
    Player2: 000000
    Player3: ----00
    Player4: 00000
    Credits: 02
    Balls: 00

#592 3 years ago

Thanks for the LISY update! Unfortunately not better for the displays on my side... see new log here: https://pastebin.com/BVCeDZnR

My displays still show "003300", "007333" etc...

#594 3 years ago

Yeah! That was it, thanks!!!!
    I did even better, "debug:off" and "sound:board", this way no error message at all. And all 5 displays work well!
    Now I need to work on my sounds!

#596 3 years ago

That's the main drawback of the old displays, you're not able to read the messages.

If (one day) I move to alpha display, I guess I'll lose compatibility with my old MPU board ?

Do you have the original sound board? Then we could try to make it work. I'd only need a sound debug log for that.

Yes I have the sound board.
    Here is a quick gameplay log, for you to get an idea:
    https://pastebin.com/Sk54nQBV

In the meantime, I'll start working on the APC sounds, as I want to be able to customize things...

#600 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

matiou if you’re going to try the APC sound hardware with files on the SD card, definitely use the link given in post #541

Thanks Jeff, yes I'm using it! For the conversion I wrote a script calling the perl AudioSave.pl multiple times, so not really tedious. The longest part is to match the sound files from the archive with their pinmame address. I matched half of them so far.

#604 3 years ago

to convert a folder full of wav files into snd files on a Windows computer:
    - install ActivePerl, needed to run "AudioSave.pl" on Windows (https://www.activestate.com/products/perl/downloads/)
    - copy in your wav folder "AudioSave.pl"
    - create a new text file you name "wav2snd.bat" in the same folder, containing the code found here: https://pastebin.com/yu7HFTwp

double click your new batch script "wav2snd.bat"
    it will:
    - delete any "Data.wav" or "Data.bin" you might have in the folder
    - create a subfolder "snd_files"
    - convert each wav file into a snd file and put it in the subfolder

#607 3 years ago

the Player 3 display will show the number of the missing sound.

So this feature was not working for me...
    I found a little bug in the "USB_GenerateFilename" function which was preventing it from detecting I had a 6 digit display.
    I also found out it was not displaying correctly sounds with index >99 and Firepower has plenty.
    Now it's working well, and it's going to help a lot finding my missing sounds!
    I also created a Firepower pinmame exception to ignore the useless "sound commands" (7f, ff) following the tutorial.

"USB_GenerateFilename" code fix:
    https://pastebin.com/ApxPtuwz

#609 3 years ago

Sure I could! I let Frank decide how he wants to handle this type of contribution...

#611 3 years ago

Well, this is meant to be a community project after all, so a pull request would probably be the best way to handle this. It might make sense to wait until your EX_Firepower is also working and include it into the pull request.

Agreed... and if I'm the only one working on System 6, no rush anyway.

#612 3 years ago

I made progress on the EX_Firepower (ignoring sounds and handling sound series), but I'm not done yet. I'm still trying to figure out some of the sound commands... there seem to be some rules I don't completely get yet (like one command triggering more than one sound being played)

#613 3 years ago

AmokSolderer few questions for you (I guess others can reply to!):
    - when I'm in pinmame mode, is there a way to reach the regular game adjustments (the adjustments described in the pinball machine manual, not the APC options)
    - can the Arduino be plugged to the programming computer all the time ? no issues when the pinball is powered up, restarting etc..? is the only precaution needed to press "reset high score" before launching a code upload ?

#615 3 years ago

However, we learned that PinMame treats the Advance key differently for some system generations, so if Advance doesn't work for you as described, then Ralf has to do some Lisy magic first to make it work for System6 also.

So I confirm it does not seem to work... And you are right, I checked VPinMame and the diagnostic keys are a bit different than the physical ones. bontango do you think I can generate a nvram file on my PC using Visual Pinball, and then copy this file onto the LISY sd card? (I would need to set Firepower as free play and would like as well the possibility to deactivate the background sound, to help with my sound debugging)

Basically yes, the Arduino has a polyfuse which will trigger if the current on the USB port should get too large.

I'm using a legit Arduino, so I hope it holds. But I was a bit worried when I saw that, when the pinball is off, the raspberry tries to start up using the 5V supplied to the Arduino.

#618 3 years ago

Quick Firepower status... I sorted all the sounds and wrote the exceptions (sound series, background sound and random sounds). The result is pretty good!

But it's not perfect... I still have some issues with some commands sent in a row, where the APC interpretation is not like the real thing.

Example when the 1st ball of multiball is released, 3 sounds are played:
    [209.124840][0.074352] LISY_W sound_handler: board:0 0x67 (103) -> speech "Fire one"
    [209.138148][0.002133] LISY_W sound_handler: board:0 0x68 (104) -> explosion sound
    [209.768849][0.608636] LISY_W sound_handler: board:0 0x6b (107) -> launch sound

But the sounds are sent too fast after each other and the launch sound is covering everything, you cannot here the "Fire one". I'm wondering if some of the commands sent before these (weird addresses not related to a sound) contain some sort of special timing information for the sound board. Maybe I should try to play with the "priority" parameter when playing some of these sounds ?

#621 3 years ago
    Quoted from bontango:

I updated the advanced button handling, can you please check?
    http://www.flipperkeller.de/lisy/lisy_update_APC.tgz

working! thanks!
    (I had to put lisy in rw mode for the settings to save)

#628 3 years ago

Little Firepower update...

After a non-pinball week, I spent a bit of time today playing with the APC in pinmame mode. I'm still not able to figure out the multiball startup... The initial countdown is a lot quicker than it is on the real game and the timing of the ball release sounds is off... so it does not feel right at all. I verified with Visual Pinball and here it's working well, so I guess it's not a pinmame issue.

You wrote that there're some weird commands being sent before these sounds are being played. You can enter a whole series of sound commands into PinMame, so it should be possible for you to find out whether these weird commands have any influence on the way these 3 sound are being played.
    If we know what to do then we can use the AfterSound feature of the APC to implement the sequencing. If the AfterSound variable is not zero then the sound player will call the routine AfterSound is pointing to when the current sound has run out.

I narrowed it down to only one code (0x3f) for which I could not find a meaning, and it is called few times during the multiball startup... maybe some kind of delay. Not sure. (no apparent effect when played in pinmame sound command mode)

All this AfterSound and priority stuff is explained in the APC SW reference, in case you're interested.
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/blob/master/DOC/Software/APC_SW_reference.pdf

So if a command is received to play a sound "B" with priority 50 when a sound "A" is already playing with a priority of 60, the song "B" will be ignored and never played ?

#630 3 years ago

The next step is to install Visual PinMame and check whether the Rollergames is running correctly, but I'd expect that to be the case.

It's quite easy to check using the "ball control" mode, allowing you to move the ball around manually with the mouse. I can get to my multiball sequence in few seconds

So what does it mean? Basically it means that these problems are caused by PinMame, but how?

Could it be due to linux pinmame being outdated compared to windows pinmame ? All my "verifications" with Visual Pinball are using latest versions of the windows version... when I look at the change log, there was quite some work done on the sound topic in the past year.

Is this code only being sent during multiball or all the time? Basically it sets all 5 data lines to high, so I'd expect it to reset the data lines after each command, just like the 0x7f in System7.

No, this 0x3f is specifically sent few times during this sequence (and at other times as well, but not constantly). On system 6, 0x7f is also used to reset the data lines after each command.

Is the first sound only played during multiball? Then you could just generate a sound file which contains the whole multiball sequence and play it with a higher priority. Then the correct timing is determined by your file and the priority prevents it from being stopped by the subsequent sound commands.

Yes that could work, great idea. I'll try it out!

But this would be just a workaround and of course we'd like to understand why PinMame is sending such weird sound commands, so if any of you guys knows something that might help us, please give us a hint.

the problem would be to base an APC workaround on some commands that may not be sent in a future "fixed" version of pinmame...

1 month later
    #645 2 years ago

Hey AmokSolderer ! I've been away from my Firepower for almost 2 months... Some life stuff got in the way
    I'll get back to it soon. And yes, I have some exceptions but I'm not fully ready yet... I was still working on this multiball thing which was not triggered well.

Maybe you can at least include in the release the little bug I found in a previous post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller/page/13#post-6165101

1 week later
    #647 2 years ago

So...... finally I got some time this week-end to play with my Firepower.
    I got to a point where it's "kind of" ok

You'll find below my "PinMameExceptions.ino" containing special rules to manage the sounds of Firepower.
    https://pastebin.com/JsumwNPa

The part I could not make sound perfectly is the multiball starting sequence (the big achievement on this game!). The countdown is too fast and the "fire 1", "2", "3" sounds, supposed to be synchronized with the ball releases, is not great. As you suggested I created one sound containing the sequence, but the timing is a bit off. All this may be due to an issue with pinmame... I guess I should try pinmame + the real sound board to confirm.

The other little issue I have (not related to sound) is the "lane change" feature. When pressing the right flipper, the highlighted lanes don't always change, and this can be very frustrating. The lane change works something like 80% of the time.

#650 2 years ago

I changed your EX_Firepower accordingly.
    Please check if it still works.

I used your latest 0.22 github code and things work fine! Thanks!

You should be able to synchronize this by tuning the 'throttle' value of Firepower in lisyminigames.csv.

No, the global timing is good... This is just an issue with the multiball countdown effect (where score displays are used to show a count down, which was pretty innovative at the time). Maybe this part is not emulated well in this pinmame version.

That's weird. Have you checked whether the switch is reported correctly in Lisy's switch debug log?

I will check... but for sure it's not a mechanical switch issue. I verified and the switch is responding well 100% of the time.

#652 2 years ago

However, if PinMame fails you can still do it by yourself. The PinMameExceptions offer much more than just sound manipulation (...)

Oh yes I see... That could be quite powerful!

But in fact I decided to start writing my own code from scratch! I'm going to try to implement the Firepower rules into a new Firepower.ino and then add extra. There is a "deluxe rom" version of Firepower floating around with extra rulesets... It could be interesting to implement those with APC.

Depending on my other activities, it will take me something between 2 weeks and 2 years

Quick question, not sure if it was discussed here yet or no... Which IDE are you using to code ? The Arduino IDE works ok but I wanted to try to use vscode and I have difficulties to build the APC code with it... Any advice ?

#655 2 years ago

You might consider to start from the Base Code, then you wouldn't have to start completely from scratch.

Of course! I got started with the base code... Quite some progress already today! Fun!

Quick question... About bumpers and slingshots... are they handled like everything else (some main loop in my code should detected the relevant switch and trigger the matching solenoid) or is there some kind of interrupt to set up for these ?

I'm using Eclipse with the Arduino plug-in from Jantje

Thanks, I'll try it out.

#658 2 years ago

You can find the slingshots and the Bumper in the game_main of the BlackKnight.ino. Case 65, 66 and 67 are the corresponding switches.

Oh yes thanks... I was using the scoring switches of the bumpers instead of the special switches (with indexes > 64)... now it works better!

#662 2 years ago

Still working on my Firepower code for APC... And I enjoy it At this point I'm creating classes to make my ruleset-code cleaner and easier to manage. I love the boot duration when using native Arduino code............. 2 seconds

Quick questions for you AmokSolderer, about blinking lamps in APC...........
    - If I don't know the status of a lamp (on, off or blinking) and i want to turn it off.. do i have to call RemoveBlinkLamp() AND TurnOffLamp() ? or is TurnOffLamp() enough ?

#666 2 years ago

I've released the new SW and updated the documentation. Take a look at the changelog for details
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/blob/master/DOC/Changes.md

awesome!

On my side I'm starting to work on the attract mode for Firepower... I would need the capability to address lamps 1 to 8 in the patterns... (they are playfield inserts). Could you please help with this ? (it's not urgent at all!)

#668 2 years ago

Can you confirm that there're 8 lamps in the backbox of the Firepower which all belong to column 8?

Yes I confirm, you are right!

#670 2 years ago

Making good progress on Firepower... I believe rules are 100% implemented now... I still have to add attract mode, sound, multiball display animation.
    But..... the pinball power supply board just died... I guess I have to pause the project a little bit to fix it. Maybe the 40 year old electronic did not like the many power on/off cycles due to debugging.

#671 2 years ago

I've added System Setting 10 to SW branch V00.23
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/blob/V00.23/DOC/Settings.md
    If you switch this setting to 1 (Column 8 ) then your backbox lamps should be unaffected by LampPattern, but all playfield lamps should work with it.

sweet, thanks! I'll test that as soon as my power supply is fixed.

#673 2 years ago

I have parts on order to fix my power supply.
    Thanks ThatOneDude , you're right I'll make sure to have a spare (the one you linked is missing the big capacitor though)

@amoksolderer, in the meantime, do you think I can use a 5VDC power supply to power the APC board (it seems only the 5VDC side of my power supply is down)

#681 2 years ago

I fixed my system 6 power supply... now back in business! yeah!

I've added System Setting 10 to SW branch V00.23
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/blob/V00.23/DOC/Settings.md
    If you switch this setting to 1 (Column 8 ) then your backbox lamps should be unaffected by LampPattern, but all playfield lamps should work with it.

I just tried this and.... unfortunately putting the settings to "1" is messing up the lamp assignments... both in pinmame mode and in native mode, the game lamp indexes are shifted... and so it's not the right lamps that are turned on and off on the playfield (during both attract mode and gameplay). Or maybe i'm doing something wrong ?

#683 2 years ago

No, it was my bad. Please try again.
    I hope we don't need too many iterations. The problem is that the weather here is too good for coding at the moment, so this is my kind of garden work.

Thanks, I'll try tonight... And as I said earlier, this is for my Firepower attract mode, not critical at all! Enjoy the weather!

#685 2 years ago

No, it was my bad. Please try again.
    I hope we don't need too many iterations. The problem is that the weather here is too good for coding at the moment, so this is my kind of garden work.

Looks good now! Thanks!

2 months later
    #724 2 years ago

Hi all! After a 2 month break, I'm back to my Firepower custom coding!

I'm struggling with a bug right now, maybe AmokSolderer you can help me... In certain conditions, some lamps don't blink after a call to AddBlinkLamp()... I'm not sure why. Any idea what could cause this ? Or any idea how to troubleshoot what is going wrong ?

#725 2 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

In certain conditions, some lamps don't blink after a call to AddBlinkLamp()...

Replying to myself as I finally fixed it At the end of a game, I was going into attract mode when some lights were still blinking, and I guess it was messing up some timers. Now at the end of a game, before going to attract mode, I have a loop doing a RemoveBlinkLamp() on all 64 lamps, and it fixed my issue.

#728 2 years ago

You might want to enable the debug mode in the System Settings

Thanks! Yes, I'm using the debug mode extensively to "serial print" troubleshooting messages... especially because my displays are numerical only, so I cannot really use them to pass information. However, I have not paid attention to the timer counter in the credit display... Maybe it does not work because my code overrides the number which is displayed here... not sure, but I'll have a look and let you know.

#733 2 years ago

No problem there as the debug mode will always overwrite the normal display content.
    If it doesn't work with the updated 0.23 code from yesterday then I have to recheck it.

I confirm it's working for my system 6.... and very helpful, thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matiou.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller?tu=matiou and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.