(Topic ID: 239045)

Arduino Pinball Controller

By AmokSolderer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you using the APC and what's the reason if not?”

• I'm using APC with MPF 4 votes
      15%
    • I'm programming APC natively 2 votes
      7%
    • I'm waiting for PinMame support 5 votes
      19%
    • I have an APC board, but I still have to populate it 3 votes
      11%
    • I would only use the APC if populated boards were available 13 votes
      48%

(27 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240317_224906 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220326_054355 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220324_115019 (resized).jpg
    0803_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220306_221732 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220225_113217 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220224_102209 (resized).jpg
    afficheur (resized).jpg
    bootok (resized).jpg
    20220225_100158 (resized).jpg
    20220225_100214 (resized).jpg
    20220225_084428 (resized).jpg
    U1wrongPol (resized).jpg
    453DBE7E-8CD8-4CAE-82B9-46E2E87021F9 (resized).jpeg
    32FCCD80-1C7F-4782-84A2-0C0FFE9F3D78 (resized).jpeg
    BA633E7E-D152-46C5-932E-E625D68C0A1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorgar007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#743 2 years ago

I just learned about this project. Where can I learn the latest state of things? It seems someone is selling populated boards?

End goal: I would like to maaaaybe try and write some code changes to Transporter. Mostly for learning purposes.

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You are aware this board would need the current ruleset completely implemented, correct? (unless someone has already done it). It doesn't patch into the existing software at all, it replaces it.

Semi aware yes. Dont understand the whole scope yet or how people are getting to a starting point with some old code.

#747 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Yeah it's basically writing an entire new game from scratch, reimplementing the code in the new framework(s) that the arduino controller supports.
    not that it can't be done, but it's not as simple as just changing a few things. Someone probably already has written framework that can be modified to suit.

I'm excited for a clean slate.. assuming the framework is intuitive enough and all of the game mechanics are easy enough to access. Could be fun!

#753 2 years ago

While I learn about APC, I've been trying to rip the audio files from Transporter. Had limited success with the M1 path.. couldn't find any of the voices, just music. Just found all of the voices with pinmame, success!

1 week later
    #754 2 years ago

AmokSolderer - is there a way to easily switch your Rollergames MPF demo to mirror what you're sending to the hardware segment display, to the virtual segment display?

4 months later
    #821 2 years ago

Is it possible to do the initial test on system 11 with only 1j17 and display segments 2 plugged in, or is it a must to plug in the switches as well? (I'm waiting on jumper connectors in the mail).

The game fires up and prints some garbage display, which makes me wonder if Transporter has a special display going on. The game has some strange animations that make interesting use of the displays.

Edit: I missed the note on the APC initial tests page about adjusting the display settings. I'll test that and report back

1 week later
    #824 2 years ago
    Quoted from AmokSolderer:

The switch connectors are just necessary to change the display settings.
    But, the connectors J1, J2 and J3 are mandatory for the display and I'd not recommend to try it without them.

Finally made my jumpers today. Plugged in all recommended cables. When I turn the game on, both displays show garbage in all characters, then the display goes off. It doesn't seem to want to enter the settings menu.

Any troubleshooting steps out there for this kind of startup?

#826 2 years ago

Thanks AmokSolderer

Good news manually changing APC_defaults helped. The display was saying NO SD CARD FOUND | APC REV 00,22. After putting an SD card in, it recognizes the card and also reports NO HIGHSCORES NO GAMESETTINGS.

I'm thinking I missed a step or loaded the software incorrectly? I copied all .ino files (APS, BaseCode, BlackKnight, Pinbot, PinMameExceptions, Tutorial, USBControl) and Sound.h to the folder when loading the APC firmware. Note I still can't enter into settings using the machine's buttons.

#829 2 years ago

Unfortunately nothing. The board doesn't seem to be recognizing the advance button. Tested the connection at the board during the button press and contact closure is working fine (pins 2+3) on 1J4. Also cleaned the board flux (I neglected to do this earlier). Fresh out of ideas.

20220225_084428 (resized).jpg20220225_084428 (resized).jpg
    #831 2 years ago

Is this the right direction for RR1? I think I have RR7 and RR8 mixed up. RR7 may be backwards as well. Could this cause the issue?

20220225_100158 (resized).jpg20220225_100158 (resized).jpg20220225_100214 (resized).jpg20220225_100214 (resized).jpg
    #833 2 years ago

Oops! I knew it was too good to be true, getting this soldered up right the first time.

Will repair this and report back.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gorgar007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller?tu=gorgar007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.