(Topic ID: 239045)

Arduino Pinball Controller

By AmokSolderer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you using the APC and what's the reason if not?”

• I'm using APC with MPF 4 votes
      15%
    • I'm programming APC natively 2 votes
      7%
    • I'm waiting for PinMame support 5 votes
      19%
    • I have an APC board, but I still have to populate it 3 votes
      11%
    • I would only use the APC if populated boards were available 13 votes
      48%

(27 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240317_224906 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220326_054355 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220324_115019 (resized).jpg
    0803_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220306_221732 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220225_113217 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220224_102209 (resized).jpg
    afficheur (resized).jpg
    bootok (resized).jpg
    20220225_100158 (resized).jpg
    20220225_100214 (resized).jpg
    20220225_084428 (resized).jpg
    U1wrongPol (resized).jpg
    453DBE7E-8CD8-4CAE-82B9-46E2E87021F9 (resized).jpeg
    32FCCD80-1C7F-4782-84A2-0C0FFE9F3D78 (resized).jpeg
    BA633E7E-D152-46C5-932E-E625D68C0A1F (resized).jpeg
    There are 959 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.
    #701 2 years ago
    Quoted from AmokSolderer:

I know Lisy can run MPF, but I don't know what it would take to make this setup work with the APC, too.
    It is on our to-do list, but up to now nobody seemed to need it.
    bontango Ralf, do you have an idea how much effort would be required to do this?

I wouldn't be running MPF on the LISY board, why use a Raspi when you have a Core i5? My MPF game requires a full PC.

I'm planning on using the LISY board strictly for System 1 games, so I don't have to rewrite them in MPF.

#702 2 years ago

Any chance someone has a board that is completely built that they would like to sell? I picked up a High Speed project this week and I am interested in making some custom rules with MPF. I originally contacted Snux about buying his board and he directed me to this thread. Unfortunately I do not have the tools or the knowledge for SMD soldering.

#703 2 years ago

The APC-GTB boardset survived 2 full days of nearly constant play with no failures.

I picked up Pharaoh and Space Shuttle playfields. Pharaoh is complete and ready to drop in so that moves Williams way up on my list.

I'm also interested if there are any Williams PCBs around. Palmer, nice chatting with you.

#704 2 years ago

There are a lot of people who have asked me for spare boards. Is there enough interest for another run?

#705 2 years ago

I’d be in if there was another run.

#706 2 years ago

For a complete kit, i am here!

#707 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

There are a lot of people who have asked me for spare boards. Is there enough interest for another run?

YES

Add me in

#708 2 years ago
    Quoted from papacalozerss:

For a complete kit, i am here!

#709 2 years ago

I'd like to get a board too: if someone's doing a run, let me know.

#710 2 years ago

OK, so I posted this because of all of the PMs I was getting recently. I would be happy to help someone with getting an order done, but I don't think I have time to do it myself right now.

#711 2 years ago

Looks like it would be problematic right now anyway. Just for kicks, I tried to do a board reorder, and I see this now:
    ["C55887","C5983"]out of stock
    Not sure if they will be back in stock.

#712 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

OK, so I posted this because of all of the PMs I was getting recently. I would be happy to help someone with getting an order done, but I don't think I have time to do it myself right now.

I just had a run of PIN2DMD boards done, and can get a quote for APC boards. Can you give me an idea of the number of people that showed interest?

#713 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I just had a run of PIN2DMD boards done, and can get a quote for APC boards. Can you give me an idea of the number of people that showed interest?

I think I've gotten requests from around 10 people so far since I ran out of extra boards. Not sure I kept the message threads, so probably just advertise here, and you will get a bunch of them.

#714 2 years ago

IRF7316 is not currently available. Is this APM4953 a compatible replacement? Click on images for full datasheet.

1810061025_Infineon-Technologies-IRF7316TRPBF_C55887.pdf1810061025_Infineon-Technologies-IRF7316TRPBF_C55887.pdf

1810171024_Guangdong-Hottech-APM4953_C181099.pdf1810171024_Guangdong-Hottech-APM4953_C181099.pdf

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I think I've gotten requests from around 10 people so far since I ran out of extra boards. Not sure I kept the message threads, so probably just advertise here, and you will get a bunch of them.

I would be interested in a board, too.

#716 2 years ago

I'm in for a board!

#717 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

IRF7316 is not currently available. Is this APM4953 a compatible replacement? Click on images for full datasheet.

Looks good. Do they have a replacement for the 74hct273?

#718 2 years ago

Maybe this part for the 74hct273? C513294

#719 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Looks good. Do they have a replacement for the 74hct273?

Thanks. IRF7316 was the only one reported to have availability problem.

#720 2 years ago

That's a problem right now, parts availability varies day-to-day it seems. Now ULN2803A is no longer available.

I was told I need to order 2,000 and can have them in my inventory for future orders, LOL. Everyone in for $6,000?

#721 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

So, I have 4 other people wanting a board. That's all 5. For those interested, that's $25/board shipped to me, populated with the SMD parts.

I'm getting quotes with the SMD parts alone costing that much. Do people still want boards that are currently running about $50/ea?

It's not a good time for manufacturing these it seems.

#722 2 years ago

That sucks. Yeah, we might have to wait for some more stability before doing an order.

#723 2 years ago

Who knows when the situation improves though. Some quick checks and estimates, I think the cost of the board would be $165 - $175. If you're interested at this price, PM me and I'll see if there's enough interest to pursue it.

$50 (SM populated board)
    $30 (Due)
    $70 (through hole parts)
    $15 (shipping to you)
    -----
    $165

#724 2 years ago

Hi all! After a 2 month break, I'm back to my Firepower custom coding!

I'm struggling with a bug right now, maybe AmokSolderer you can help me... In certain conditions, some lamps don't blink after a call to AddBlinkLamp()... I'm not sure why. Any idea what could cause this ? Or any idea how to troubleshoot what is going wrong ?

#725 2 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

In certain conditions, some lamps don't blink after a call to AddBlinkLamp()...

Replying to myself as I finally fixed it At the end of a game, I was going into attract mode when some lights were still blinking, and I guess it was messing up some timers. Now at the end of a game, before going to attract mode, I have a loop doing a RemoveBlinkLamp() on all 64 lamps, and it fixed my issue.

#726 2 years ago

^ Nice work!

#727 2 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

I guess it was messing up some timers.

Yeah, this can lead to very nasty problems. Therefore it's absolutely mandatory to keep track of the timers in use.

You might want to enable the debug mode in the System Settings. This will show the number of active timers in the credit display (at least up to 9). Up to now this function was not working with numerical displays, but I did a quick fix in the 0.23 branch to make it work. However, I had no time to test it, so handle with care.

Activating the debug mode has another effect which might come in handy for you: It activates the USB communication for your game. That means you're able to see error messages on the Serial Monitor of your Arduino IDE. Furthermore you can use the Serial.print() commands inside your game code to write to the Serial Monitor - very nice for debugging.
    Anothers effect of the debug mode is that the game will stop when an error occurs after turning off all solenoids and lamps, but you can change that in the ErrorHandler() in APC.ino

#728 2 years ago

You might want to enable the debug mode in the System Settings

Thanks! Yes, I'm using the debug mode extensively to "serial print" troubleshooting messages... especially because my displays are numerical only, so I cannot really use them to pass information. However, I have not paid attention to the timer counter in the credit display... Maybe it does not work because my code overrides the number which is displayed here... not sure, but I'll have a look and let you know.

#729 2 years ago
    Quoted from matiou:

Maybe it does not work because my code overrides the number which is displayed here

No problem there as the debug mode will always overwrite the normal display content.
    If it doesn't work with the updated 0.23 code from yesterday then I have to recheck it.

#730 2 years ago

Hello

Does anyone know why the system11 LED display here https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/tree/master/DOC/Hardware/Sys11a_Display are system11a only ?
    Thx

#731 2 years ago

The name is a bit misleading. The design also works in System11b machines.
    Here's a link to a website a friend of mine did about an older version of this display:

http://baumfalk.net/Displays/sys11_1_en.html

#732 2 years ago

I ordered some APC boards and parts. Not all have been reserved yet, so if you want one, it's $120 + $15 shipping.

The board comes with the SMD parts installed, but you need to install the through-hole parts yourself, and you provide your own Arduino DUE.

For those that inquired about wanting a fully complete board, if I have any left over, I may complete and sell ready-to-go ones at a higher price.

#733 2 years ago

No problem there as the debug mode will always overwrite the normal display content.
    If it doesn't work with the updated 0.23 code from yesterday then I have to recheck it.

I confirm it's working for my system 6.... and very helpful, thanks!

#734 2 years ago

Good news: I picked up a Gottlieb Cleopatra! Great candidate to convert to APC, MPU has slight acid damage and an Asteroid Annie ROM (???), small transformer is missing so I need to rework the power system. Not going to hand build another GTB lamp driver board... however the original driver board is intact. Thinking about making an adapter board to interface with the APC.

Bad news: Now I have to design and code a display interface for Gottlieb System 1.

#735 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Good news: I picked up a Gottlieb Cleopatra! Great candidate to convert to APC, .....

Have you looked at LISY1 boards? I put one in Charlies Angels and it performs nicely.

#736 2 years ago
    Quoted from SYS6:

Have you looked at LISY1 boards? I put one in Charlies Angels and it performs nicely.

I'm enjoying rolling my own versions of the APC. I'm more interested in tinkering and homebrew games rather than just getting a game running.

#737 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I would buy one!

#738 2 years ago
    Quoted from bimm25i:

I would buy one!

Talk to HighVoltage

#739 2 years ago

The boards I ordered are currently in shipment: they've landed in the US, so shouldn't be long now. The DUE boards are scheduled to arrive this week. I have already received all the through hole parts.

I've had quite a few inquiries, so if you want one, I suggest contacting me to pay now. That's the only way to reserve one. That's also a "heads up" to the others that PM'd me that they're interested.

1 week later
    #741 2 years ago

Looks like the DUE I ordered for my board doesn't have headers. Was wondering if it would be a problem just to solder it to the board. What inconveniences will that create?

#742 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looks like the DUE I ordered for my board doesn't have headers. Was wondering if it would be a problem just to solder it to the board. What inconveniences will that create?

I would solder the headers on. Same pain in the ass of soldering it to the board, but you can remove it afterwards. I've fried arduino boards before, and I would always opt to be able to easily replace it.

#743 2 years ago

I just learned about this project. Where can I learn the latest state of things? It seems someone is selling populated boards?

End goal: I would like to maaaaybe try and write some code changes to Transporter. Mostly for learning purposes.

#744 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

End goal: I would like to maaaaybe try and write some code changes to Transporter. Mostly for learning purposes.

You are aware this board would need the current ruleset completely implemented, correct? (unless someone has already done it). It doesn't patch into the existing software at all, it replaces it.

#745 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You are aware this board would need the current ruleset completely implemented, correct? (unless someone has already done it). It doesn't patch into the existing software at all, it replaces it.

Semi aware yes. Dont understand the whole scope yet or how people are getting to a starting point with some old code.

#746 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Semi aware yes. Dont understand the whole scope yet or how people are getting to a starting point with some old code.

Yeah it's basically writing an entire new game from scratch, reimplementing the code in the new framework(s) that the arduino controller supports.

not that it can't be done, but it's not as simple as just changing a few things. Someone probably already has written framework that can be modified to suit.

#747 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Yeah it's basically writing an entire new game from scratch, reimplementing the code in the new framework(s) that the arduino controller supports.
    not that it can't be done, but it's not as simple as just changing a few things. Someone probably already has written framework that can be modified to suit.

I'm excited for a clean slate.. assuming the framework is intuitive enough and all of the game mechanics are easy enough to access. Could be fun!

#748 2 years ago

hi,
    There is an alternative approach you could ofcourse program the arduino from scratch using the arduino ide. I was orginally going to use this board and convert my existing code that I had for a gottlieb flying carpet. However i decided that the cobrapin pinball controller was for me. I then transfer the code to the cobrapin pinball controller using the stm32duino ide works very well .Of course the key will be knowing what pins on the arduino connect to the external connectors for the cobrapin the designer gave me all the info i needed. If you search for gottlieb flying carpet cobrapin you can see what i have done. My code could be made available if needed.

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Well, since V0.22 there is another way to do it, as the APC SW features a new PinMame exceptions system. This can be used to add some own game code while your game is basically running in PinMame.

There's a video which shows what I did to my Jungle Lord:

A short documentation can be found on my PinMame-Howto page
    https://github.com/AmokSolderer/APC/blob/master/DOC/PinMame_howto.md#programming-exceptions

#750 2 years ago

Yeah I thought I saw that previously in the thread - acting like a game genie in a way.

For your linked example do you cancel the 3 second thing for the shooter lane switch if someone manages to not get the switch activated - that shooter lane switches' trust level really screws up some software like 9 ball's - they trust it over the trough switches.

You should be able to fix the bouncing in by adjusting the eject arm and/or the trough metal as that shouldn't really happen.

For small patches hooking in is ok but for large wholesale changes nothing beats having the whole thing laid out in source, either the original or a rewritten one. The hardest part of a complete rewrite for simpler games is getting the display/sound choreography correct. It really depends on what gorgar007 wants to change on Transporter.

There are 959 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-pinball-controller/page/15?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.