19 days ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by ThatOneDude
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

137065603_2913835285607806_2941339789169142971_n (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.30.37 AM (resized).jpg
    dominos-tracker (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.43.20 AM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.44.09 AM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.44.43 PM (resized).jpg

#1 19 days ago

Ok, this is the list I have so far
    1. waveman x 3
    2. Cheddar
    3. truemagoo102
    4. grangeomatic
    5. mwiz
    6. polishedball x 2
    7. Me x 3
    8. bigfoot53 x 2
    9. matiou
    10. potf77
    11. apex
    12. tranquilize
    13. compy x 2

That's 20 of the boards with the SMD parts populated.

Now, who would want to be part of a group buy for through hole parts?

Also, let me know if I need to make this a separate thread.

Through Hole Parts
    1. polishedball
    2. bigfoot53 x 2
    3. mwiz
    4. grangeomatic
    5. cheddar
    6. matiou
    7. potf77
    8. apex

Looks like 9 sets of through hole parts. I'm ok with setting this up, but if someone else can find a better price, I'm ok with that as well.
    Please let me know if you want to get in on the parts order(or want to organize that part).

#2 19 days ago

Please let me know if you want to change anything above. My plan:
    1. Wait until the end of the week for stragglers
    2. Get an email confirmation from everyone of what they want and an agreement that they understand that this is an experimental board, I'm not held responsible for any damages and that I'm just facilitating a group purchase.
    3. Get the cash
    4. Make the orders
    5. Divvy up the boards and mail them to you.

Now, I see that there are two things I can do for shipping. The quickest is a flat rate USPS box. I can pick up a stack of these, pack them and drop them off at the post office. Quick, but slightly more expensive. Otherwise, I'll need to source a box of the right size, and then get postage figured out. That might add an extra day or so. So, let me know your thoughts on shipping at the same time.

#3 19 days ago

I say go with the flat rate box, and yes the above is correct for what I am interested in. Will you take Paypal as friends and family? Thanks for putting this together.

#4 19 days ago

Thanks for organizing this. I’m in for the board and the through hole parts, as mentioned above.
    Regarding shipping, I’d say do whatever is easiest for you. An extra day, or a few extra dollars is not a deal breaker for me, so go with simplicity at this point.

I can do PayPal or Venmo, whichever you’d prefer.

Jeff

#5 19 days ago

Thanks for organizing this!

* The overall plan sounds great.
    * Shipping: whatever is easiest for you. The flatrate box seems like a good option.
    * At the 15-board pricing ($15?), I'd be up for 3 boards. LMK.
    * I have a bunch of the through hole parts already, so I won't join for the group buy of through hole parts.

#6 19 days ago

Thanks for all the time and leg work getting this setup.

Flat rate box works for me and will save you the hassle of a custom box etc, I can do Paypal as friends and family if that works for you?

#7 18 days ago

Looks like Digikey is backordered on different parts. *sigh*
    So, let me add the two up, and we'll see what it comes out to.

#8 18 days ago

Has anyone checked out what Great plains electronics has ?
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp
    They seem to carry items geared more toward pinball and arcade

Never mind i see that they dont have quite a lot of the needed parts.

#9 17 days ago

I'm in for a board as well... with through hole components if possible. PM sent.

Mat

#10 14 days ago

Ok, we're at 14x for the boards, 7x for the through hole parts. I guess this is last call.

#11 14 days ago

If you want we can announce this on the Mission Pinball Twitter. Might reach some people which are not on here. What do you think?

#12 14 days ago

I'm ok with it on the board side of things. Properly handling the through hole parts is starting to feel overwhelming, since it's not just ordering and remailing, but rather divvying up parts, labeling them and getting them into sets for people. I can do it, but there may be a delay while I work out any issues. Plus, some people want a Due, some don't, etc.
    But, we can cross that bridge when we get to it. jabdoa go ahead and let others know.

#13 12 days ago

I haven't seen any more movement here. Last call. Tomorrow, I'll start sending PMs with my contact info and we'll gear up for the buy.

#14 10 days ago

Today is the day. I'll recheck the through hole component prices, post those here, then start sending PMs with payment info.

#15 10 days ago

Wow, that's pretty cool. Wish I had more skills in the design/coding area.

#16 10 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Wish I had more skills in the design/coding area.

Grab an old playfield and starting playing with Mission Pinball Framework. It's not overly hard to get going. A lot of it can be configured strictly with configuration files.
    EDIT:
    Specifically, I would recommend looking for a Sys3-6 playfield. Most of the parts are fairly cheap and easily sourced. Not a lot of switches/lamps to be concerned with, but still some interesting designs to work from. One of my projects is a barewood Flash PF that was going to be a Stranger Things theme until Stern beat me to it. Now, it's waiting in the wings until I finish my Strange Science recreation. The only problem there is that that beast has 90(!) lamps in an SCR configuration, so I have to do something non-standard there(I'm looking at making a bunch of white only serial lamp boards and plugging them into a Fadecandy).

#17 10 days ago

Updated Princing:
    15x
    ----
    $15.45/board

20x(not a lot of price drop and I would need at 4 more boards ordered to get to this price)
    ----
    $14.24/board

========
    Based on that, unless I get a few more orders before I start PMing people, I'm going with an order of 15.

Through Hole Parts (to be updated shortly)
    ---------------------

#18 10 days ago

For some reason pinside isn't letting me update the last message.
    Through Hole Parts
    ---------------------
    Based on 9x orders

With Due
    93.45/each

Without Due
    55.65/each

I have to order from both Digikey and Mouser for the orders.
    Now, I have checked at aliexpress, and I see that you can pick up Due's for $14-15 shipped. I've never had a problem ordering from companies there, and gotten a substantial discount in the past. But I'm not going to take the chance on a whole order being screwy. Also, some people indicated that they may have a Due or clone knocking around.
    My suggestion at this time is that we do the order without the Due, and you source one for yourselves. It will be cheaper per person. They are widely available on Amazon, ebay, aliexpress, etc.

This leaves you with the following parts to source(that I know of, based on the BOM from github):
    - Arduino Due
    - Micro SD card w/ adapter
    - Raspberry Pi Zero(optional for those who want to run LISY and/or Pinmame)

I'll wait an hour or so to see if there is any feedback. If not, I'll start shooting out PMs to everyone with my contact info, some verbiage to email back to me indicating that you understand that this is a group purchase and I'm not offering a warranty or anything on these parts and I'm not responsible if you fry your machines, and finally the paypal/venmo info. Once I've gotten all of the replies and payments back, I'll send in the orders.

Note: if someone decides to back out or add to the order at this point, I'll either have to refigure the parts costs. I'm not going to cover the costs of spare boards. I'd prefer not to do this.
    Eh, one last note. For the through hole parts, it's all or nothing. Whichever way the Due decision goes, I would really, really prefer that everyone go with it. I don't want to have to remember who gets what, only amounts of parts per order.

#19 9 days ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

The only problem there is that that beast has 90(!) lamps in an SCR configuration, so I have to do something non-standard there(I'm looking at making a bunch of white only serial lamp boards and plugging them into a Fadecandy).

You can buy WS2811 chips from China. Each of them can drive three LEDs (any color). Those are about 10-15 bucks for 100pcs. That 30 chips would be sufficient but you can also only partially populate them. Fully supported in MPF.

#20 9 days ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

You can buy WS2811 chips from China. Each of them can drive three LEDs (any color). Those are about 10-15 bucks for 100pcs. That 30 chips would be sufficient but you can also only partially populate them. Fully supported in MPF.

That's precisely my plan, actually.

#21 9 days ago

Yesterday was a challenge at work, so I'll send the PMs over the weekend.

#22 8 days ago

I think leaving the Due out of the group order is the way to go. It will make your life easier, you already have a lot of work taking care of the rest. And people can source it on their own (it's even on Amazon) and decide if they want a real one or a clone.

#23 8 days ago

Any room left?

#24 8 days ago
    Quoted from matiou:

I think leaving the Due out of the group order is the way to go. It will make your life easier, you already have a lot of work taking care of the rest. And people can source it on their own (it's even on Amazon) and decide if they want a real one or a clone.

Agreed

#25 8 days ago
    Quoted from Apex:

Any room left?

Yes, I am wrapping up the order now. I also PM'd you, but I need a number of boards and/or parts kits from you. Let me know in the next hour, and I'll recalculate the totals.

#26 7 days ago

So, any other orders or someone want to increase their board order? Have 3 to deal with to get to 20.

#27 7 days ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

So, any other orders or someone want to increase their board order? Have 3 to deal with to get to 20.

If nobody jumps in, my company, 86Pixels will fill the order void to get these done. Just let me know.

#28 7 days ago

I'll take a populated board. I have the other parts, so just the board.

#29 7 days ago
    Quoted from Compy:

If nobody jumps in, my company, 86Pixels will fill the order void to get these done. Just let me know.

Ok, sounds good. With tranquilize chiming in, that's two board. Thanks!

So, I'm going to cap this at 20. Since compy has graciously offered to take up the slack, I'll send out PMs today and we can get this ball rolling.

#30 7 days ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Ok, sounds good. With tranquilize chiming in, that's two board. Thanks!
    So, I'm going to cap this at 20. Since compy has graciously offered to take up the slack, I'll send out PMs today and we can get this ball rolling.

Looking forward to it. Thanks amigo!

#31 7 days ago

Well, what I was hoping would not happen has happened. One person has backed out. I'm not inclined to try and refactor everything at this point, so I guess I'll have a spare board and parts kits for sale at the end.

#32 7 days ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Well, what I was hoping would not happen has happened. One person has backed out. I'm not inclined to try and refactor everything at this point, so I guess I'll have a spare board and parts kits for sale at the end.

I'll paypal you if you want.

#33 6 days ago

Still waiting on one payment, but I went ahead and ordered everything this morning. So, anchors away!

#34 6 days ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Still waiting on one payment, but I went ahead and ordered everything this morning. So, anchors away!

woohoo!

#35 6 days ago

And now we have payment for all of the parts. Still need to quote one shipment to Canada, but that will happen during shipping.
    Just saw that the PCBs are already being laid out and are in production. They are a fast crew there.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.44.43 PM (resized).jpg
    #36 5 days ago

In case you are as excited as I am.

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.44.09 AM (resized).jpg
    #37 5 days ago

Sweet, jlcpcb doesn't mess around

#38 4 days ago

Update

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.43.20 AM (resized).jpg
    #39 4 days ago

that's a pretty precise live update!

better than domino's

dominos-tracker (resized).png
    #40 4 days ago

So cool!

#41 3 days ago

Got the Mouser parts in. Never did a populated board from jlcpcb before, so I'm not sure if this means that we are nearing the end of the full production or just the PCBs.

137065603_2913835285607806_2941339789169142971_n (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.30.37 AM (resized).jpg
    #42 3 days ago

It's just the PCBs. They expect to finish SMT assembly on 1/18/2021. So, given my previous experience, I expect to receive the boards next week some time.
    EDIT: Pardon me. I meant a week after the boards ship. So, probably the last week of January or the first week of February.

#43 2 days ago

Per the original APC thread, there are several holes which were mistakenly not drilled and plated. I believe that they can drill and salvage the boards, but I want amoksolderer 's opinion first. If they have to remake them, it might kick back the schedule by a few days.

#44 2 days ago

I told them to drill the holes without plating them. From the looks of it, the grounding should be ok from the top and bottom pads.

#45 23 hours ago

The boards should be shipping today or tomorrow. There was some weirdness, probably due to the redrill operation, so I'm hoping everything went ok.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    JURASSIC PARK PREMIUM Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 33.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 50.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 15.00
    $ 85.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Silverball Swag
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside