(Topic ID: 235272)

Arduino P2,P3,P4 RGB DMD cascade 2 x 32 x 64

By legtod2

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BadBoard (resized).jpg
    image1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

I wouldn't use Arduino its very slow (unless some new powerful version has been recently released) Use a teensy(dev board) or one of the very powerful nxp arm micro controllers for far more powerful / capable micro controllers (but not the silly 400mhz speed ones no one needs that much power to drive a basic led display). Or even a raspberry pi with the rgb rpi lib (all led driver work has been done for you) You get the wifi for free with the raspberry pi route

#10 5 years ago

Yeah the RGB DMD board is designed to have a teensy plugged into it (if its the one i think your referring to)

#12 5 years ago

from all the features you mentioned sounds like you would need your own custom firmware to implement them? pin2dmd firmware is not public and you would be stuck with its default features. Unless you have a computer sat in the middle.

#15 5 years ago

Buy directly from alibaba/aliexpress not from adafruit unless you want to pay x10 the price. Its very cheap directly from china. You just gotta wait. Usually come within 4 weeks but can have shipped quicker if your desperate for em.

#22 5 years ago

teensy handles all the uart interrupts for you and will call a function onced its received a uart packet. There are some great example on sending uart data on there main website.

#26 5 years ago

Cheap and fast dont go together when it comes to shipping. If you cant wait you will have to pay more!!

Also order few more then you neef they can often come faulty.

#36 5 years ago

just power it all from one 5v rail via your psu, usb should just be for data you don't wanna power much from it.

#38 5 years ago

teensys are great little devices for people learning hardware.

#43 5 years ago

Converting just a normal image / video to 128x32 res usually looks pretty crap without a lot if touch ups. Almost all pinball dmd artwork is handrawn or created using special tools for low res displays. If you want good looking animations probably exporting from pinMame is your best bet.

1 month later
    #51 5 years ago

thats flux from a repair, most likley repaired boards. Which seller did you use? Iv ordered thousands of these things never seen a completely dead one Thats very unlucky

#54 5 years ago

Try this company as have bought from in past without issue.

Led Display Solution | Module | Control System
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cdgt99Zr

1 week later
    #60 5 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

I got burned buying products from AliExpress.com. I purchased two P2 panels with expectations there may be problems with one but the other may work. Unfortunately both were defective.
    I attempted to use the web site to disbute the issue. The net result was no refund or offer of technical support of any kind.
    From a trouble shooting perspective I utilized input from two different sites attempting to use a teensy 3.5 and arduino mega to get the panels to work. I could not get them to work.
    Going forward my humble opinion is to avoid this vendor. Somewhere along the way you will be burned.

There is nothing wrong with AliExpress it self there are some great sellers on there sounds like you just found a bad egg

Before saying the panels are bad you really need to make sure your setup is good! ie have a confirmed working board running good on it first. Otherwise it might not be the boards that are bad

Iv tired quite a few and had very good success and eventually settled on one who i order thousands of the thing from. These panels are only made in china you literally cant buy them any where else (adafruit does not count they just buy from china and then x10 the price!!!)

Keep trying you will find a good seller

1 week later
    #63 5 years ago

I wouldn't give up on the whole of aliexpress over one bad seller.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-p2p3p4-rgb-dmd-cascade-2-x-32-x-64-?tu=russdx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.