(Topic ID: 235272)

Arduino P2,P3,P4 RGB DMD cascade 2 x 32 x 64

By legtod2

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BadBoard (resized).jpg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

thats flux from a repair, most likley repaired boards. Which seller did you use? Iv ordered thousands of these things never seen a completely dead one Thats very unlucky

#52 5 years ago

Russdx

I used AliExpress, Ordered the P2.5 CoreMan panels. I am assuming both of these 2 boards were botched repairs.

#53 5 years ago

I opened a dispute on the AliExpress Web site, really all I want are two working boards.
    The web site steers you mostly to get a refund as opposed to vendor sending a working boards in its place.

I'll see what happens, but I expect I will just end up with two dead boards and another hard lesson in life.

Sigh.

#54 5 years ago

Try this company as have bought from in past without issue.

Led Display Solution | Module | Control System
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cdgt99Zr

#55 5 years ago

I suspect that the panels are fine. I often see these types of repairs on panels I've ordered. They are usually burn-in tested before shipping. The only problem I've ever had are damaged/missing LEDs from rough shipment. It's my guess that your problem lies elsewhere.

#56 5 years ago

Which chipset is installed on these board ? ICN2038S ? The latest version is not supported by smartmatrix !

#57 5 years ago

Lucky1,

The best I can magnify it shows Chip One ICN20378P or ICN2037BP

#58 5 years ago

Try sending three clock pulses for each Latch, but according with datasheet, ICN2037 is compatible with standard shift registers used in LED panels. For technical compatibility issues, check my post in the Smartmatrix forum I did a long time ago.

https://community.pixelmatix.com/t/new-p2-1-32-scan-64-64-led-panel-with-different-ic-chip-controller/281

In addition, the latest driver chip, the FM6126, is also not compatible with the standard (it requires also three clock pulses by Latch). Modifying the Smartmatrix source code to add support for these chips may seem complex, but in reality it is not, you just have to add some more data to the DMA buffer and it works perfectly.

1 week later
    #59 5 years ago

I got burned buying products from AliExpress.com. I purchased two P2 panels with expectations there may be problems with one but the other may work. Unfortunately both were defective.
    I attempted to use the web site to disbute the issue. The net result was no refund or offer of technical support of any kind.
    From a trouble shooting perspective I utilized input from two different sites attempting to use a teensy 3.5 and arduino mega to get the panels to work. I could not get them to work.
    Going forward my humble opinion is to avoid this vendor. Somewhere along the way you will be burned.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

I got burned buying products from AliExpress.com. I purchased two P2 panels with expectations there may be problems with one but the other may work. Unfortunately both were defective.
    I attempted to use the web site to disbute the issue. The net result was no refund or offer of technical support of any kind.
    From a trouble shooting perspective I utilized input from two different sites attempting to use a teensy 3.5 and arduino mega to get the panels to work. I could not get them to work.
    Going forward my humble opinion is to avoid this vendor. Somewhere along the way you will be burned.

There is nothing wrong with AliExpress it self there are some great sellers on there sounds like you just found a bad egg

Before saying the panels are bad you really need to make sure your setup is good! ie have a confirmed working board running good on it first. Otherwise it might not be the boards that are bad

Iv tired quite a few and had very good success and eventually settled on one who i order thousands of the thing from. These panels are only made in china you literally cant buy them any where else (adafruit does not count they just buy from china and then x10 the price!!!)

Keep trying you will find a good seller

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Maybe send them over to dpannell . He can test them for you.

1 week later
    #62 5 years ago

Back in business with working panels. Did my first test with one panel using my arduino Mega.

Its was plug and play working like a charm. Need to test all my stuff with the teensy and cascade the two panels together but that should be easy.

Now time to move on to building my gifs and replay them from the teensy to the panels.

My adventure with aliexpress is over. They would not refund money for the defective panels and they would not offer tech support.
    I will chalk this experience up as a lesson in life. Thankfully I had not made any type of substancial purchase otherwise the lesson would be harder to swallow.

#63 5 years ago

I wouldn't give up on the whole of aliexpress over one bad seller.

1 week later
    #64 5 years ago

I have been experimenting farther. At present I have the teensy 3.5 and the smartshield V4 connected. This made the octopus of wires between the RGB panels and teensy much more managable. Two 32x64 2.5 RGB panels are cascaded together to provide my 32 x 128 panel.

I have a collection of gifs from multiple DMD games that I had to allow my to demonstration the device in action. Each gif is approx 20 - 40 sec in duration.

Next I used the animategif.ino program from the smartshield library and put my own spin on what I wanted my panels to do.

The original program simply cycled thru the SD card's gifs folder to play all of the gifs randomly and play the peice for 10 seconds.
    I set it to accept serial port message which gifs to play or what frames of messages I want to display. For example play gif recording 1 or play extra ball message or display current score. This will allow the device to act as a score board display.

In the end the teensy could be connected to a pi or other device that has wifi to receive messages as a topper box. The vision was this topper box could be used at tourneys to promote messages, scores, announcements, etc. It could also function as an add on external DMD display that could be plugged into by an arduino/teensy homebrew project.

I will post a link to youtube demonstrating the capabilities.

1 week later
    #65 4 years ago

Here is a youtube video of my teeny powering the two 32x64 RGB displays

#66 4 years ago

Now all I need to do is record my own special gif sequences for attact mode, Extra ball, game over, Skill shots made, idle game, transitions, etc.

Then just call the frame or gif that I want, and wham bam, thank you mamm, its done.

2 years later
    #67 2 years ago

Its been a while and I have decided to reuse my teensy and DMD in my CE3K Cobrapin project.

I just need to interface to MPF. This should be fun.

1 week later
    #68 2 years ago

what a cool idea, i love Teensy Boards

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arduino-p2p3p4-rgb-dmd-cascade-2-x-32-x-64-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.