image_(resized).jpg
Babou_(resized).png
0121161453b_HDR_(resized).jpg
0121161453_HDR_(resized).jpg
12417710_1041505515913129_2222408403649413023_n_(resized).jpg
Sploosh.jpg
Ubuntu3.png
Playfield.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sk8ball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Started a blog for our Archer pinball project (code-name Die no Sores vs Monster trucks) here. Check back for news and updated videos soon!

http://pinballreviews.com/archerblog.htm

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow! This is great, love it when people come up with innovative yet simple ideas.
One suggestion, when the rocket launcher is down, a shot to the captive ball sends the trapped ball into a post. This post could be swapped for a standup target to add another scoring feature.

Thank you. Keep in mind though that video is old. The RL is equipped with optos to keep track of how many balls and whether or not it's been hit.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Very cool looks like a layout john t wld do with a mix of congo and jd .

The left up/down ramp through the jets was definitely inspired by Congo (Not Roadshow lol) And the up the middle (Shooting range target which is still being made) to feed the upper left and right flippers is a take on DM's ACMAG shot. The right ramp has been redesigned to be faster since that old whitewood video was made .

#53 8 years ago

Will try to get some updated footage with the new right ramp soon. Waiting on Hank to dig out his Super 8!

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I had to keep watching the add-a-ball video to figure out what was happening. There's a lot going on to setup that shot. I understand the "manual" feature, but what about returning balls at the end of the game. There must me some type of automatic ejection feature that's not shown in the video.

The RL when down has a top piece (not seen in this old vid) which can divert from the VUK to the left orbit. The top piece also prevents any airball from landing in there. If absolutely needed a release post could be added to the left side to unload the balls but at this time I see no reason to implement that.

#61 8 years ago

pew pew pew!

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm not sure I understand. I guess my question is what happens if an a ball is loaded into the rocket launcher but not earned during the game. Wouldn't the ball remain there at the start of the next game?

Yes. It is not much different than leaving a locked ball in TZ or Addams. The game will compensate with a virtual lock for the other player(s). But we are toying with the idea of rocket stealing option during a multi-player game but that won't carry over game to game.

1 week later
#82 8 years ago

Shot map!

archershotmap.jpgarchershotmap.jpg
3 weeks later
#100 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

yea.. whitewood looks good, but the real question is.. Are the vents painted in the back of the cabinet? Because that's a sure sign of a quality build
Did you ever say what platform you're using?

Production has halted while the transformer windings get chrome plating. PROC platform.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Can the third flipper sneak a shot through the pops and hit that target on the left wall? Looks almost impossible but maybe the path is juuuust wide enough?

It is possible but very tough. That target is meant to be hit through the left spinner alley. The upper right flipper can hit the car chase loop, Woodhouse target, inner left loop somehow and you can bank the captive ball and vari-target off the upper left flipper.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

vanospheres for the win!
seriously though, this is amazing. you've really done a great job of capturing and incorporating the show into the game. great job sir!!

this could work great when the player is cradling the ball and/or when no switches have been hit for say 15 seconds or more (when the game goes into a ball search mode) with archer shouting "Lana!" progressively louder and louder (and ending with "I'm just saying" when the ball is found or a switch is hit by the player

There are already some great quotes in there when you leave the ball sitting in the shooter lane too long. Don't wanna spoil all the surprises

#110 8 years ago

That's a bit of a drive so it better be damn fun by then if we are

1 week later
#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

May he enjoy fetching rugs in heaven.

And eating spiderwebs. And fetching sand to be rubbed in his eyes...

#132 8 years ago

Looks like it's time to re-paint the backboard as well!

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

So side targets are 2x and middle is 3x of shooting range value built up by the pops. I'm assuming this scoring will be similar to the thing shot in TAF?
Also you wrote that these will light 2x and 3x playfield. Are you planning to make those easily qualified and have them as a more regular feature of the game? Do you think the multiplied playfields will have a short time span (like 5 seconds) to get just enough time to collect a JP value at the vari from the feed? Or more something on a longer timer...

There are 4 areas on the range target that can be hit. Left outer, right outer, inner circle and bullseye each with their own lighting. Generic use will be to collect range bonus 1x outer, 2x inner, 3x bullseye. More feature oriented will be having to complete all 4 sections during certain missions and also having to hit the bullseye for the main multiball super jackpot. The playfield multiplier when qualified will either be 2x for the inner circle and 3x for bulls. And 1x for tanking

#139 8 years ago

Congula Light!

3 weeks later
#147 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

With each post, I want it more

Phrasing?

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Minus 10k points every time you fail to plunge the ball out of the shooter lane.

Funny you mention that. There is a medal achievement system in place much like Star Trek called the dubious achievement awards. Plunging to the outlane, inlane-outlane drain, woodhouse target to right outlane. Trying to figure out some others. Not sure what to do with them yet maybe -1 bonus x

3 weeks later
#177 8 years ago

Not much this month. Been out of town and waiting on some metal parts to be ready from the welder. Did throw together some shooting range artwork...

barry.jpgbarry.jpg

archerlong.jpgarcherlong.jpg

#181 8 years ago

Shot some video while bug testing.

2 weeks later
#217 8 years ago

Shatz target action!

shatztarget.jpgshatztarget.jpg

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from kaboom:

Or is it an idea thats 2years old
DSC_0111.JPG

No... it's an idea that's 28 years old

monte.jpgmonte.jpg

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Holy cow I was JUST going to ask if it was like the targets on Monte Carlo.
But it looks like the Archer pins' targets are a lot harder to "shatz" than they were on Monte Carlo, which must be the point!

Yes it is a bit harder but it does serve a purpose. The left outlane was too big so rather than making a huge inlane like Congo does I added the target. The game's software already recognizes alley passes (Shatzing) so it will be tied to that. Shatzpot!

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Forgive my ignorance; what is a schatz target?

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

So I saw someone online post a comment online about this project, saying that it looks cool.
Then there was a huge onslaught of negative comments about how the person doing this has no life and should be doing better things than working on a pinball machine for himself.

Sounds like my parents!

2 weeks later
#268 8 years ago

Quick blog update this month. "Dangerzone" rotating beacon flasher prototype:

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Look at the video, particularly the close-up shot from 10-12 seconds in. You can clearly see the LEDs through the flasher cover turning on and off. Not spinning.

Yes, 6 leds in a circular pattern controlled by the p-roc

4 weeks later
#284 8 years ago

Other than them being further along code-wise no

4 weeks later
#289 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's bad ass man, really clever idea for a video mode that feels right.
Suggestion: would it be possible to light up the drums if you hit them right? Would be a really helpful visual cue on where to focus and how to adjust.

I suggested that and got my head bitten off lol

2 weeks later
#304 8 years ago

Blog updated! Latest play footage posted:

http://pinballreviews.com/archerblog.htm

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love Archer. It's a great theme. But I have to admit, I kind of wish it was dinos and monster trucks, only because that would mean a much better chance of this getting made some day.

If Spooky wants to make DvMT we're all ears

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Someone will contact Keith. And don't call him Shirley!

Only if I do a movie theme about gladiators! Maybe after Ash vs Evil dead conversion kit Gary and Jack will start calling

#334 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Putting in this much creative effort and work to not make any money on it seems... wrong.
Why is the pin I want the most the one I can't have?

Being a pinball designer is a dream job of mine. It's tough but a labor of love

2 weeks later
#354 8 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Would Keith or Randy be opposed to me posting up the ~20 presentation from 12:30 on Saturday? I got a chance to thank Keith for bringing the machine, but don't know if I got to say thanks to Randy in person, so thanks Randy.

Yep that's fine if anyone finds it interesting Next time hopefully we have more time to prepare and can show pics of the build process.

1 week later
#362 8 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Initially throught it was an amazing art package - and sound - you'd been able to create for this game. Now I realise it is off a TV show, yeah. Why not - super agent is a great theme and the artwork is awesome.
I really like that this game shows a some new ideas to "core pinball". Flow, shot patterns and mechanics. I have been wondering why Stern have not tried to shake things a little bit. And done something like locating a ramp out where the orbit shot usually is to see at options that brings along. Like this.
Question. Does the right orbit and right inner loop shots always feed the upper left flipper? And what about shots to the centre ramp that goes left. Or will some shots drool out of the lane behind the flipper?
I was also thinking that the upper left flipper could come in play via the post in modes and such on a direct shot from the right flipper->spinner->post->upper left flipper. Or maybe as a race via the inlane like Thing Flips.
Good luck on this.

Yes, right orbit, inner loop always feed upper left flipper. Shooting range target is about 60-40 left flipper feeds to right flipper feeds.
Check out the up post in action as you describe at the 3:23 mark

3 months later
#364 7 years ago

Mini blog update. Archer will be at Pin a Go Go '16!

Updates since last update:
Multi player game support
ball save
2x & 3x playfield scoring during Rocket Launcher multiball
Center mission start up/down ramp now functional
Rocket Launcher rotating beacon installed
Flipper Animation abort
Left ramp wireform installed

latest footage:

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from L8vid:

An understatement!
Archer's control codebase was rewritten in Python (from C) using PyProcGameHD Framework.
After 4 weeks of coding (and learning Python) it's almost hands-off playable, but a bit more work to do.
Thanks to rosh and mocean for helping me get it up and running.
-r

Sorry I skipped the boring stuff Now fix that rocket launcher sound effect already!

2 weeks later
#375 7 years ago

Archer is back home from PAGG 16! Rocket launcher motor crapped out so I installed a new one today and recorded some better test footage than the earlier May update.

#379 7 years ago

Not at all. Plenty of room.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#383 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Right on, just noticed in each video you hold it.

The original idea was after 4 loops the upper flipper hold circuit would disable and the loops would be worth 2x loop jackpots. But we settled on the up-post coming up and hitting the opposing loop to start the looping jackpots.

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I agree with all of this, would love to see this as a Spooky game. As an AMH owner, and waiting on my RZ, I'd love to add Archer as well. Look great next to my six foot tall cardboard Archer cutout that is already in my game room. Available at Amazon if anyone else is looking for one.

Oh man, Archer and Lana carboard cutout "siders" sounds like a great idea!

4 weeks later
#393 7 years ago

Guess we have to start working on it again

3 months later
#396 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any other action on this game ?

Archer has been on vacation since Arcade Expo. Finally getting some time to bang away on it again. Updating the video blog with some rule basics that are in the game at this point. Will continue to add to it as we go.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sk8ball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/archer-home-brew-pinball-machine-blog?tu=sk8ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.