image_(resized).jpg
Babou_(resized).png
0121161453b_HDR_(resized).jpg
0121161453_HDR_(resized).jpg
12417710_1041505515913129_2222408403649413023_n_(resized).jpg
Sploosh.jpg
Ubuntu3.png
Playfield.jpg
There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

Then there was a huge onslaught of negative comments about how the person doing this has no life and should be doing better things than working on a pinball machine for himself.

Seriously, what sort of fu**tard would say stuff like that.

rd

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

because he produces quality work ..

Heh, I laughed.

Stern's stuff is so vanilla and boring. All they have going for them is the licenses. It's almost like it's the same thing all the time with fresh paint.

I see some real innovation and novel approaches here.

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Heh, I laughed.
Stern's stuff is so vanilla and boring. All they have going for them is the licenses. It's almost like it's the same thing all the time with fresh paint.

...the paint isnt really even that fresh recently

#254 8 years ago

This looks amazing!

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Heh, I laughed.

It's easy to be innovative when there's not a whole factory of workers and distributors whose livelihood depends on you shipping games.

Does Archer look badass? Absolutely! If this thing gets produced, I'll be finding a way to buy it.

Until then though, is it really too much to have one thread on here that isn't filled with people bitching about Stern? Wishful thinking I'm sure.

#256 8 years ago

Archer's display server now runs under Ubuntu too! (as well as Windows.)
Ubuntu3.pngUbuntu3.png

#257 8 years ago

I switched over to using "lubuntu" (Light Ubuntu) on CCC. Current ubuntu but without a 3d accelerated desktop and lots of other fluff stripped out (boots faster too). Don't need all that other junk when you're just running a pin. Install & setup is basically the same, FYI.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I switched over to using "lubuntu" (Light Ubuntu) on CCC. Current ubuntu but without a 3d accelerated desktop and lots of other fluff stripped out (boots faster too). Don't need all that other junk when you're just running a pin. Install & setup is basically the same, FYI.

Don't need all that other stuff while using a computer either.

Too bad Microsoft will never learn that and Linux will never have as much software support as Windows, though.

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Started a blog for our Archer pinball project (code-name Die no Sores vs Monster trucks) here. Check back for news and updated videos soon!
http://pinballreviews.com/archerblog.htm

I can't wait to see this in the flesh!

Sploosh.jpgSploosh.jpg

#260 8 years ago

When you complete the wizard mode, time for some K-Log!

#261 8 years ago

First off, awesome work by both Elwins.

I was thinking that Warning -> Warning -> Tilt could be Lana -> Lana! -> Dangerzone... Then I started to google for clips and I found this gem:

http://www.dangerzone.me/

You could use a different sequence depending on the ball... so much to do there.

#262 8 years ago

Zen studios put out Archer table :
https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=6066

Not as cool of course

#263 8 years ago

Not as cool, but I'm thinking they just got their hands on some pinball-specific callouts they never knew they'd get.

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Zen studios put out Archer table :
https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=6066
Not as cool of course

Not trying to rain on any parade, just for info.

#265 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

» YouTube video
Not trying to rain on any parade, just for info.

Cool with some neat ideas in there. Bummer it isn't real though.

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

It's easy to be innovative when there's not a whole factory of workers and distributors whose livelihood depends on you shipping games.
Does Archer look badass? Absolutely! If this thing gets produced, I'll be finding a way to buy it.
Until then though, is it really too much to have one thread on here that isn't filled with people bitching about Stern? Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Conversely not being innovative can cost those workers and distributors jobs. Is it safe to be stagnant?

I'm itching to buy more pinball machines and nothing from Stern excites me. Nothing. Especially when I do more research here.

Considering my post count I really don't think I do all that much bitching about Stern but if you see a lot of bitching about Stern in general there may be something to it.

I was making a point that this table shows more innovation with less resources available. I don't know if that is quite as easy as you make it seem. If that were the logical correlation a one person team would revolutionize the industry. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Conversely not being innovative can cost those workers and distributors jobs. Is it safe to be stagnant?
I'm itching to buy more pinball machines and nothing from Stern excites me. Nothing. Especially when I do more research here.
Considering my post count I really don't think I do all that much bitching about Stern but if you see a lot of bitching about Stern in general there may be something to it.
I was making a point that this table shows more innovation with less resources available. I don't know if that is quite as easy as you make it seem. If that were the logical correlation a one person team would revolutionize the industry. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

i wanna buy this archer pin!!!

1 week later
#268 8 years ago

Quick blog update this month. "Dangerzone" rotating beacon flasher prototype:

#269 8 years ago

Those are great! Could you share how they work?

#270 8 years ago

Looks like its just a bunch of LEDs and different angles and timing the flashing to give it the appearance of a rotatory. Still looks great.

#271 8 years ago

very cool feature, this game is the ultimate tease, please find a way to get it built for the masses

#272 8 years ago

Amazingly genius!!!!

#273 8 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Quick blog update this month. "Dangerzone" rotating beacon flasher prototype:
» YouTube video

So cool! Reminds me of the Naked Gun title sequence:

#274 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

So cool! Reminds me of the Naked Gun title sequence:
» YouTube video

Naked Gun and Airplane are 2 classically hilarious movies!!

#275 8 years ago

I would love to know how you did the rotating beacon and would look great in my Road Show.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I would love to know how you did the rotating beacon and would look great in my Road Show.

My guess is he's using a closely spaced led strip and cycling through them. It is def cycling rather than truly spinning. Could also have an led strip wrapped around twice to fill in the gaps and they are cycled out of the strip order but ordered by the physical location. That's how I would create that effect. He has the ability to create his own light show to support this so it won't drop into other games unless you include a controller that activates off the original signal.

#277 8 years ago

the rotating beacon, to my understanding, is 'real' not virtual. that is, it's actually turning. Using a speedometer cable to drive a flasher bulb around. that's why it's so smooth.

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

the rotating beacon, to my understanding, is 'real' not virtual. that is, it's actually turning. Using a speedometer cable to drive a flasher bulb around. that's why it's so smooth.

Look at the video, particularly the close-up shot from 10-12 seconds in. You can clearly see the LEDs through the flasher cover turning on and off. Not spinning.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Look at the video, particularly the close-up shot from 10-12 seconds in. You can clearly see the LEDs through the flasher cover turning on and off. Not spinning.

Yes, 6 leds in a circular pattern controlled by the p-roc

#280 8 years ago

I would think you could make a complete bulb that has everything in it to do a "rotary" beacon but the next problem is that its a flasher and if you put it in a different machine it's just not going to work right because the game is set up for a flasher not a rotary.

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

maybe on wizard blocks...lol

#282 8 years ago

F14 would be insane with all of the flasher domes rotating at the same time as the top beacons......

3 weeks later
#283 8 years ago

Out of curiosity, has the PinballFX Archer table had any affect (or is it effect?) on your design at all, sk8ball?

#284 8 years ago

Other than them being further along code-wise no

#285 8 years ago

A little 2 ball multiball like Gollum..

"Benoit"..
"BALLS! Hehe"

3 weeks later
#286 8 years ago

Archer's video mode:

#287 8 years ago

That was pretty amazing!

#288 8 years ago

That's bad ass man, really clever idea for a video mode that feels right.

Suggestion: would it be possible to light up the drums if you hit them right? Would be a really helpful visual cue on where to focus and how to adjust.

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's bad ass man, really clever idea for a video mode that feels right.
Suggestion: would it be possible to light up the drums if you hit them right? Would be a really helpful visual cue on where to focus and how to adjust.

I suggested that and got my head bitten off lol

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Let them know who's boss, Keith ...

rd

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

It's a pinball machine, not a videogame dammit!

#292 8 years ago

HA HA - greatest mode seen ever! Hope it had different songs available?

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

HA HA - greatest mode seen ever! Hope it had different songs available?

I'd like to see someone try to flip fast enough to keep up with Chris Adler ....

rd

#294 8 years ago

Seriously, that is just awesome.

#295 8 years ago

Great looking pin and a beautiful layout. Surpised nobody suggested that you try to produce these. I'd buy one to put beside my FGY, which is disguised as a Shrek. Shhhh, don't tell.

#296 8 years ago

Fantastic! Geddy said the guy who does best gets to replace Neil on the R45 tour!

Maybe Neil will take up pinball in his retirement!

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from L8vid:

It's a pinball machine, not a videogame dammit!

You lose that moral high ground when you put a video mode in your pinball machine!

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You lose that moral high ground when you put a video mode in your pinball machine!

Never put both words "moral" and "pinball" in the same post! (oops I did it again! )

#299 8 years ago

Pinball is corrupting the morals of the youth!

#300 8 years ago

This is an awesome project! Layout looks great and sounds pretty damn cool as well. Thanks for sharing your work with us!

There are 497 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/archer-home-brew-pinball-machine-blog/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.