(Topic ID: 97933)

"Smart Color" Under Cabinet Kit in stock! Black Friday!

By ArcadeUpkeep

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ArcadeUpkeep
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

Only a couple left and they may be spoken for already, going fast!

#52 7 years ago

ill be keen get judge dredd demolition man and terminator 2 thanks

#53 7 years ago

All the beta test kits are now spoken for, thank you to all the testers and I look forward to seeing the results!

3 weeks later
#54 7 years ago

Ok I must be the first Beta tester to receive my kit. Below is a video of the kit in my T2. So here is my review.

Part one, the kit in general:

The LED's are nice and bright and you really notice them, no problem there. The kits interactive nature is amazing works really well in general. The product was packaged well and was free from any damage. The install was a snap it took about 20 minutes and that's with hot gluing the wires and LED's in several places (a must if you ask me). Creates a really beautiful lightshow that totally immerses you in the game. A must for your favourite titles.

Part two, the kit relating specifically to T2:

Pros:
- I loved how the LED's flashed blue for one ramp shot and red for the other
- loved the red when the cannon was loaded and aiming, could have used a secondary colour like purple
- I really liked the light show at the end when you drain your last ball and all the flashers are going off

Cons:
- I didn't really like the solid blue in attract mode, too plane and doesn't really attract you. Would have liked to see other colours fade in and out slowly or medium
- I found the kit didn't go off (flash) enough during gameplay
- I also found too much red in the kit, the red was very over powering, would have liked to see a lot more purple
- When the cannon was loaded it just flashed red, I would have liked to see it flash red and purple since there is so much single red flashing in the game.
- the overall colour scheme was good, red for pops, red for one ramp blue for the other, green for kickout holes. I would have liked to see more mixture of the colours.
- My pops seemed to have lost power after install? I could be wrong, maybe I pulled on something when I was pulling the playfield up and down
- and this one was my biggest disappointment/pet peeve. The kit doesn't go off (flash) AT ALL during Payback Time, and that is (I guess) the main wizard mode if you can call it that. That was a BIG letdown for me to get to Payback Time and no kit

Overall this kit adds a really cool effect and although it is quite expensive (cost me $130 with conversion and boarder tax) it is a must for your favourite games.

Video below ( watch in 1080p HD )

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok I must be the first Beta tester to receive my kit. Below is a video of the kit in my T2. So here is my review.

Thanks for the review QuarterGrabber! I'm glad you like the kit overall and as for the cons you listed that's one of the main reasons I made this kit. You aren't stuck with what you have! Let me know what you're looking for and I can re-code your kit to do exactly that. All you need to do is exchange the "Smart Chip" on the kits main board and it will do exactly what you're looking for, for free.

I sent a few kits out with attract mode lights that faded between colors and some didn't like it so I generally default to a solid color unless told otherwise. If you let me know what you'd be looking for (what colors, fade, flash, random, etc.) I can do that for you.

Adding purple into the cannon is a good idea, maybe a red background with a purple strobe would look cool. And I'll punch up the white flashing when the cannon is shot.

Let me know if you have any other ideas (other colors to pull some of the red out of it?) and I can get a new chip right out to you, and since it's free I don't think you'll have to pay customs right?

Brandon

#57 7 years ago

Hi

Do you have a kit for addams family gold?

#58 7 years ago

Well, yes and no actually. Yes in that the Bally/Williams version of the kit will work on Addams Family and Addams Family Gold but no because the beta test boards are all gone and the production boards aren't ready yet.

The Stern version should be ready soon and the Bally/Williams will be in a few weeks. I will post back here when they're in stock and they'll be on the website as well.

www.arcadeupkeep.com

2 weeks later
#59 7 years ago

Just a quick note about the beta test board in my Fish Tales.

Great packaging, great instructions except one small detail. Be sure to mark which lead is 1,2,3,4 before installing the board in the backbox. The numbers are on the board itself, but I couldn't read them after I had it installed, so had to pull it out to read them before attaching the alligator clips to the transistors.

It's all working great, but I'm going to need to hot glue the lights on the bottom before I bother doing a video. They stayed stuck for about a week while I worked out a kink, but keep falling down now. I'd recommend people just hot glue them on the older games. The sticky tape seems plenty sticky, you can see where it pulled pieces of the particle board off the bottom, but just didn't hold. I even cleaned the bottom with alcohol and let it dry before putting them on so gave it a good shot. The hot glue should be a nice guarantee even if you think it will be fine on yours.

The attract mode on Fish Tales looks like any other under cabinet lighting unless it does something that I haven't noticed yet (have been swamped at work). Not knocking it, and I didn't expect anything else so I am fine with that. Where the fun begins is when you start a game and start hitting anything that causes a flasher to go off. You should have heard my 9 year old son's reaction when the game started flashing. It was just funny and is definitely a huge light show. I've received several wow comments from the few visitors that have seen it so far.

Playing the game with the flashing cabinet lights cued to gameplay is just fun. It is not a subtle thing, you definitely can see the cabinet flashes while playing and the spectactors will definitely see it. I think it adds to the fun especially when multiple flashers are going off close together in different colors. Really lets the multi colored LEDs and the mod show off.

I think the mod is done great and adds a lot of flash and fun to the game. If you're tricking out everything else on your game and want some extra flash you are going to be thrilled with this!

I'm debating whether I want these for an entire row of machines or just a select few. It may be a bit much if everyone was playing six games side by side with this mod, but then again it may just be that much more fun.

Greg

1 month later
#60 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I think the mod is done great and adds a lot of flash and fun to the game. If you're tricking out everything else on your game and want some extra flash you are going to be thrilled with this!

Thanks SilverballNut!

Here's a video of the kit he's talking about!

I also have a video of our kit installed on an Iron Man Vault! Fading red/yellow attract mode, in game sequences and a never before possible end of game flasher show!

They are on sale now at www.arcadeupkeep.com with special Black Friday pricing!

#61 6 years ago

These look great. I see that AC/DC (premium) is not listed as "approved". Was wondering what the experience would be like on my machine? Is it still worthwhile? If so, which chipset would one get?
Thanks!

#62 6 years ago

If it isn't listed as approved that just means we haven't had enough time on the machine to really perfect it. But it will have the attract mode lights, flashers during the game, color matched and everything to the machine. Also, once you install it in your machine and give it a try you can let us know what you like or think should be different and we will program the kit to your liking for free. That's how the Iron Man Vault kit worked, listed above, and it has a ton of custom work in it.

If you decide you do want it just click on "available titles" then order the set at the bottom that says "stern smart color kit" and note the game in the comments section, you can also let us know if you have any specific ideas for it and we can incorporate that for you. You won't be disappointed in it!

Thanks,
Brandon

#63 6 years ago

Great! One my of others' suggestions and input are integrated, do I swap chips or can I upgrade code on mine?
Lots of ideas surely for this game. And I'm sure many AC/DC owners would love this add-on

#64 6 years ago

You would swap the chip with the new one. I would send you the new chip and you send back the old one, that way you aren't without it for any period.

#65 6 years ago

Lastly: what's in the Bonus Pack at checkout? I see it costs extra, but can not tell what is in it.
Thanks!

#66 6 years ago

I'm not sure why that would be showing up at check out but the "bonus pack" is for if you want to switch your kit to another machine (instead of buying a whole new kit) the bonus pack gives you new LEDs so you don't have to try to re-stick the old ones and the new smart chip for your new game.

Essentially if you trade your game on another one you just buy the "bonus pack" for the new game and you get everything you need for your Smart Color kit to be brand new for the new machine.

All of the options are listed on the Under Cabinet page if I wasn't clear enough here.

#67 6 years ago

Check out this video of our Smart Color kit on Star Trek Pro! Both pro and premium/LE versions available at www.arcadeupkeep.com

Fading attract mode colors, crazy in game sequences and custom color pallets made just for Star Trek, not to mention variable color pop bumper effects and much more.

#68 6 years ago

I almost bought one of these yesterday. Heard about them from a fellow pinsider before seeing this post. Unfortunately I wanted one for my Metallica Pro, which isn't currently available it seems. Hopefully in the future as I think this is a rather neat idea.

Keep up the good work

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Unfortunately I wanted one for my Metallica Pro, which isn't currently available it seems.

We don't currently have an "approved" kit for Matallica but the kit is infinitely upgrade-able through a simple and free chip swap so I'm sure we could make it do whatever you'd like!

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I almost bought one of these yesterday. Heard about them from a fellow pinsider before seeing this post. Unfortunately I wanted one for my Metallica Pro, which isn't currently available it seems. Hopefully in the future as I think this is a rather neat idea.
Keep up the good work

Do it! Brandon delivers the goods. You won't be disappointed. I love seeing my pins color fading in their attract modes. The guy is great with communication too.

#71 6 years ago

Tron LE ?

#72 6 years ago

Thanks Grinder901!

With any luck TRON will be on the way shortly!

#73 6 years ago

Any chance in the future for DE machines? Specifically Star Wars?

#74 6 years ago

Wait until you guys see the Addams Family kit!
The kits deliver and Brandon is great to work with.

1 month later
#75 6 years ago

@ArcadeUpkeep: Installed my kit in AC/DC Luci. Looks great, and looking forward to seeing an update specifically tailored to this machine. Happy to provide feedback as I use it, if it may be helpful.

#76 6 years ago

got one for my imve, it rocks, awesome upgrade

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from scp:

Happy to provide feedback as I use it, if it may be helpful.

Feedback is always appreciated! And if you have any ideas you'd like to see please let us know, we can update your kit to make it happen!

Brandon

#78 6 years ago

Brandon, still want that board we talked about for my IM kit also can you resend the photo of the flipper acrylic you are designing for me?

#79 6 years ago

I'll get you the board as soon as I have them again. And I'm reprinting the covers with a few changes, I'll email you a pic in a minute!

1 week later
#80 6 years ago

Any chance of Judge Dredd coming up soon?

#81 6 years ago

Honestly I doubt it. I don't have access to a JD to work on one and no one has volunteered one yet. If you're interested in volunteering your machine to be the first let me know and we can talk! It really doesn't take much effort on your part.

Thanks

#82 6 years ago

In the process of fixing her up but I will touch base with you again once that's all done for sure

#83 6 years ago

Sounds good, I like that game, should be able to come up with a pretty cool kit for it.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside