Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by nerbflong
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chest (resized).jpg
    2018-05-22 19.12.42 (resized).jpg
    2018-01-19 18.49.17 (resized).jpg
    2017-12-03 17.46.53 (resized).jpg
    2017-12-01 17.43.12 (resized).jpg
    PB250284 (resized).JPG
    PB250283 (resized).JPG
    2017-12-01 17.43.59 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-01 19.05.42 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-01 19.05.56 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-01 19.05.35 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-28 19.29.02 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-28 19.26.51 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-28 19.26.10 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-28 19.25.09 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-27 19.13.12 (resized).jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Full disclosure! The game room is 90% done at this point. I was just too lazy and busy to document it as I was going.

Mid 2016 I decided to put my home up for sale. I had run out of room for games! Well, that's not the only reason I wanted to move but a big factor certainly. Everyone needs more space.

I started the fun of prepping the house to put it on the market.. Which involved clearing out some of the bedrooms of games. 24 machines at the time and I loaned out 8 of them to friends and 1 to my sister. Foolish me thought it wouldn't be long.. Hah! 1 and a half years later I finally got most of them back.

My home sold fairly quick and I had to scramble to find a new (to me) home and do the fun move thing. Bleh.

The fun part of all this? The house I bought was 1/2 the size! Haha, what was I thinking?!? 30 year newer home with 1.6 acres versus .5 acres and now I'm on the river

Hence the game room construction.

Phase 1: Revamp the existing basement into a game room.

I won't go into much detail about this phase, it was done in a hurry as I wanted to get most of the games inside quick! A lot of retroing wires and such. I really made a mess of the mechanical room! I had to hurry I wanted to get the bulk of the games out of the garage into the basement!

Phase 2:
    So lets start this off with the addition! The best option to add on to the house was to extend out the side.

The big digThe big dig

Here's where the addition is going. The house at the time was 26x40. The addition is 26x32. Luckily the cleanout for the sewer hook up was on the outside of the house. That worked in my favor so I didn't have to cut into concrete for tying into existing basement plumbing. Yay!

Sewer lineSewer line
    Excavators did a great job with the whole dig and didn't damage anything!

Footings and walls pouredFootings and walls poured

Footers and walls poured. Fun stuff! The space is starting to become defined now.

Arcade 2nd bathroomArcade 2nd bathroom

Every arcade/game room should have 2 bathrooms. Here's the plumbing before the floor is poured.

Foam!Foam!

Frostwall insulation. Every little bit helps!

The big cutThe big cut

I wanted the game room to be as big as possible as 1 large space, so instead of just cutting out a opening, I cut most of the house open at the basement. Scary!

Nothing like seeing your house missing a wall and standing up still. Hah!

I didn't get more pics of this unfortunately. The concrete was cut out in 3x3 foot sections and the excavator pulled them out and buried them under the future back patio is going.

To be continued.. I'll trying to keep updating every few days.

#2 6 years ago

Always love everything Gameroom!

Following!!

#3 6 years ago

Following

#4 6 years ago

Looks good so far!

#5 6 years ago

Livin' the dream right there!

#6 6 years ago

Following

#7 6 years ago

Very cool, like the best episode of this old house! lol

#8 6 years ago

Get 'er done!!

#9 6 years ago

Love a good basement add-on. Will follow with interest.

#10 6 years ago

By the river? Any flooding risk?

#11 6 years ago

I’d love to expand my basement, I’m interested in seeing how this turned out.

#12 6 years ago

Subscribed. I love these threads.

#13 6 years ago

It's 90% done for most of us that's 110% lol

#14 6 years ago

My favorite kind of thread! Thanks for sharing, we want more!!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

By the river? Any flooding risk?

I'm actually about 200 feet from the river and quite a bit higher so no worries.

Quoted from gmkalos:

It's 90% done for most of us that's 110% lol

Hah! This last 10% is killing me. It feels like 90% to get that last 10%

Lumber!Lumber!
    So this is what I woke to one morning. What a great thing to see! Morning wood.

Misc framing pics

2017-09-27 19.13.12 (resized).jpg2017-09-27 19.13.12 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-27 19.12.12 (resized).jpg2017-09-27 19.12.12 (resized).jpg
    2017-09-28 19.25.09 (resized).jpg2017-09-28 19.25.09 (resized).jpg

2017-09-28 19.26.10 (resized).jpg2017-09-28 19.26.10 (resized).jpg

2017-09-28 19.26.51 (resized).jpg2017-09-28 19.26.51 (resized).jpg

2017-09-28 19.29.02 (resized).jpg2017-09-28 19.29.02 (resized).jpg

Exciting to see the walls going up!! Stay tuned!

#16 6 years ago

haha.. You said "morning wood". Huh uh huh uh huh...

#17 6 years ago

How many machines you expect to move in there? Looks like you needed to make it twice that size.

#18 6 years ago

Come on man - you trick us by getting our interest up yesterday and then take advantage of it to show off your morning wood today lol

#19 6 years ago

Looks like you have a lot of wood behind you too.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How many machines you expect to move in there? Looks like you needed to make it twice that size.

Existing basement game room is about 600 sq feet. I crammed 20 machines in there. Tight but playable. With the added 850 sq feet I should be able to have 44 machines with decent space for moving around.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Come on man - you trick us by getting our interest up yesterday and then take advantage of it to show off your morning wood today lol

Haha Click bait!

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Looks like you have a lot of wood behind you too.

Woods all the way to the river. I love it!

#21 6 years ago

Looks fantastic, you need a batpole to slide discreetly into the gameroom from upstairs! lol

#22 6 years ago

Wow amazing!

#23 6 years ago

Oh, THIS is why [REDACTED] isn't done yet? Looks awesome, Dave.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, THIS is why [REDACTED] isn't done yet? Looks awesome, Dave.

Haha. I was coloring Game of Thrones for most of this project. The other unnamed after GoT is done, almost. Yay!

#25 6 years ago

Is this gr gonna be a wild looking gr or like another finished basement?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is this gr gonna be a wild looking gr or like another finished basement?

Sadly it will mostly be your typical basement finish. I don't think anyone could compete with your colorful amazing well lit game room!

So on to more boring, less colorful stuff:

Fun bad lighting for these pics. House roughed in at this point, basement opened up and a temp wall built to block off existing game room.

2017-11-01 19.05.42 (resized).jpg2017-11-01 19.05.42 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-01 19.05.56 (resized).jpg2017-11-01 19.05.56 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-01 19.05.35 (resized).jpg2017-11-01 19.05.35 (resized).jpg

The fun part begins for me. Wiring! Woohoo!

Cat6 everywhere, HDMI to TV locations, coax and audio for inceiling speakers.
    2017-12-01 17.43.59 (resized).jpg2017-12-01 17.43.59 (resized).jpg
    Romax dedicated outlets everywhere too!

I didn't take many pictures of this, crap. But here you can see the chaos in the mechanical room. Fun stuff!

PB250283 (resized).JPGPB250283 (resized).JPG

PB250284 (resized).JPGPB250284 (resized).JPG

I'm controlling all the lights and outlets with a Crestron automation system, along with the ceiling fans,TVs and audio of course.

My last house was starved for power. I always feared popping breakers if too many games were played at the same time. Not this game room, its wired!

#27 6 years ago

Looks like you need your own power station

#28 6 years ago

Looks like you did foam board on the walls, but not all of them? If I build again, I'd do foam board, then 2x4 over that. I think 2" is about what you typically need for a northern climate to prevent condensation on the wall (the temperature that would allow condensation is then inside the foam). When I was finishing the basement (new build, but basement finished a couple of years later), I read quite a few articles stating that the typical basement insulation is really done incorrectly (2x4, framing and insulated, like mine)...but it's the code. I eventually went with a 'smart' vapor barrier, and some sections of walls were sprayed w/2" foam. I've even seen a home with an external 2" foam panels around the entire house, with a thick cover around it in to prevent any water/bug penetration. Then the concrete never gets really cold. If I build again, I'd definitely do it differently.

Now..back to pinball - excellent addition for more pins!!

#29 6 years ago

2 inches closed cell foam on concrete then batt to fill in gap. Closed cell is expensive! Open cell foam on 2x6 wood walls.

Stacks of drywall!!

2017-12-01 17.43.12 (resized).jpg2017-12-01 17.43.12 (resized).jpg

Drywall up and then bam, carpet and paint! (oh yeah, trim)

2017-12-03 17.46.53 (resized).jpg2017-12-03 17.46.53 (resized).jpg

Next up is finishing the electrical, moving games over and figuring out where everything is going. Its close now. I'll have to shoot a video soon.
    2018-01-19 18.49.17 (resized).jpg2018-01-19 18.49.17 (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

It's awesome man, knowing the quality of the build and just seeing that many outlets on the walls is so appeasing! If I ever build one I'm going full 80's color wheel racing v stripes and mirrored everything lol

#31 6 years ago

When I finished the 1500 sq ft. partial basement, 2 drywall guys showed up at 8:00, and were done by 3:00. Great job too and at a decent price. Rather amazing and included the ceiling too. Spanish lace was the next day. Sometimes it pays to have a pro do it rather than DIY.

Your basement looks great!

1 month later
    #32 5 years ago

Okay, I got a little busy with things and forgot about updating this thread!

Arcade is mostly done now and you can see a terrible video here:

Pardon the poor video recording, audio of the camera lens doing what ever the heck its doing and a cat deciding that then was the time she wanted attention. Hah.

The video shows how my arcade is fully automated with Crestron for turning on and lighting. There are 14 zones of lighting, each dimmable and set via the touchscreens. There are 32 separately wired 110 outlets controlled so when the system is off, each game or TV is off the grid. Less to worry about in a storm.

Not so exciting arcade wise with lighting, no black light carpet or lights, or leds. I had a lot of that with the last game room and preferred to keep it simple (lol) this time in way of lighting. Less glare on the glass!

#33 5 years ago

Damn nice...lots of space there

#34 5 years ago

Dang. NICE job.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

...The video shows how my arcade is fully automated with Crestron for turning on and lighting. There are 14 zones of lighting, each dimmable and set via the touchscreens. There are 32 separately wired 110 outlets controlled so when the system is off, each game or TV is off the grid...

The Johnny Mnemonic pinball talking at powerup in the video is a perfect touch, I hope you did that on purpose!

I just use a SmartThings for home automation. Boy, that Crestron is rather slick looking.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

The Johnny Mnemonic pinball talking at powerup in the video is a perfect touch, I hope you did that on purpose!
    I just use a SmartThings for home automation. Boy, that Crestron is rather slick looking.

I ripped the sounds from the rom and play them via the sound system in the game room

Smartthings is a great alternative for automating. I'm just old school and prefer hard wired over wireless stuff.

#37 5 years ago

What is that power-on switch with the lighted buttons and needle, etc. Is it actually an industrial controller or just made to look like it?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

What is that power-on switch with the lighted buttons and needle, etc. Is it actually an industrial controller or just made to look like it?

Totally want one.

#39 5 years ago

Love seeing this stuff. Super cool.

#41 5 years ago

Well done! Nice collection also!

"...claw machine, of course..."

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

That is actually an industrial control panel I found on ebay, rewired it to 12 volt LEDS and connected the switches to inputs on the Crestron system to automate it. Its programmed to be done in sequence too so if you get it wrong you have to start over again.

Quoted from DaMoib:

Well done! Nice collection also!
    "...claw machine, of course..."

Haha, its a kid favorite. It gets almost nonstop play with kids. And adults

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

Okay, I got a little busy with things and forgot about updating this thread!
    Arcade is mostly done now and you can see a terrible video here:
    » YouTube video
    Pardon the poor video recording, audio of the camera lens doing what ever the heck its doing and a cat deciding that then was the time she wanted attention. Hah.
    The video shows how my arcade is fully automated with Crestron for turning on and lighting. There are 14 zones of lighting, each dimmable and set via the touchscreens. There are 32 separately wired 110 outlets controlled so when the system is off, each game or TV is off the grid. Less to worry about in a storm.
    Not so exciting arcade wise with lighting, no black light carpet or lights, or leds. I had a lot of that with the last game room and preferred to keep it simple (lol) this time in way of lighting. Less glare on the glass!

This is really awesome! Did you have the Crestron stuff done by a company’s or did you do it yourself? About 10 years ago I started doing a couple of home theatres a year, and I was appalled at how poor the API and dev environment were. Setting up via Z-wave took about 1/8 of the time and was just as reliable.

#44 5 years ago

The space looks awesome Dave! Plenty of room to play, nice amount of seating. Very cool.

Would love to see a nice picture of your arcade sign at the bottom of the stairs, too.

#45 5 years ago

Awesome basement, and great game selection too. Thanks for the video walkthrough, made me laugh though that the cat was like 'Damn, pay attention to me - meow meow'. The only question is, where's the beer fridge?

#46 5 years ago

Love the basement! So jealous. Love the Moon Patrol too. One of my favorites from back in the day.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is really awesome! Did you have the Crestron stuff done by a company’s or did you do it yourself? About 10 years ago I started doing a couple of home theatres a year, and I was appalled at how poor the API and dev environment were. Setting up via Z-wave took about 1/8 of the time and was just as reliable.

All the audio/video/110/Crestron is done by me. I've had Crestron in my previous home for 10 years. I bottom feed off ebay for the cheap stuff and work with that. I admit the programming is... ah, intense, but it is very very flexible. I usually use SimplWindows but now and again write a C module for the house code. My current home is 99% controlled by crestron with lighting, HVAC (dual zone), audio, tvs and such.

Quoted from epthegeek:

The space looks awesome Dave! Plenty of room to play, nice amount of seating. Very cool.

Would love to see a nice picture of your arcade sign at the bottom of the stairs, too.

Glad you guys like it Lots of space, and since I'm outta dough, that empty space will be a pool table for a bit.

Sign:
    2018-05-22 19.12.42 (resized).jpg2018-05-22 19.12.42 (resized).jpg

Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Awesome basement, and great game selection too. Thanks for the video walkthrough, made me laugh though that the cat was like 'Damn, pay attention to me - meow meow'. The only question is, where's the beer fridge?

Fridge is off camera in a sep room. And yes, luckily the cat lets me play in her game room.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

All the audio/video/110/Crestron is done by me. I've had Crestron in my previous home for 10 years. I bottom feed off ebay for the cheap stuff and work with that. I admit the programming is... ah, intense, but it is very very flexible. I usually use SimplWindows but now and again write a C module for the house code. My current home is 99% controlled by crestron with lighting, HVAC (dual zone), audio, tvs and such.

Glad you guys like it Lots of space, and since I'm outta dough, that empty space will be a pool table for a bit.
    Sign:

Fridge is off camera in a sep room. And yes, luckily the cat lets me play in her game room.

Good for you - I get frustrated and put the automation in our house to the side but this has given me some fire! Did you have that sign made? Very nice

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good for you - I get frustrated and put the automation in our house to the side but this has given me some fire! Did you have that sign made? Very nice

You need to get back on with the automation! It's such fun!

And yes, Ivan on Klov made that sign for me years ago. Its amazing!

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

You need to get back on with the automation! It's such fun!
    And yes, Ivan on Klov made that sign for me years ago. Its amazing!

I’ve got a big work order to build a LED curtain for my music group so that comes first but I promise I will get back on the horse! Haha

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcadehome-addtion-build-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.