(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mysteryencoder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1034 2 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Has anyone figured out how to add tables to the Toy Shock editions

Looked into it, don't have a PCB... but think it should be possible.

#1037 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Think it’s made for Windows but seen someone post a workaround for Mac on the Facebook group.

There was a version for OSX but that was 3.0, it's now suggested to use the windows version; unfortunately there were bugs in the v3.0 that aren't really going to work out for OSX users so it's not advertised on the site now.

Eventually, we'll push a V4.0 OSX version after V4.0 drops.

#1043 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darkstar1234:

I’m not here to shit in anyone’s cereal or be “Mr. Negative”, but these really are marketed to the naive. I could write a whole essay on how KMart these machines are.
    Anyway. I made a video a few weeks ago…again, I’m not here to be a downer, rather to express to people “you can really do much much better”. As far as a cabinet if you go purpose over fashion, you’ll be much more pleased.

There are a few things wrong with your video.

First, Stating that people are profiting off of work people are doing for free; You show an Arcade1up cabinet while saying this which is completely inaccurate, they paid for licensing and Zen legally owns the licenses to those tables and developed the games. Sure other pre-built vpin might be doing this but that's not the case for the thread you've decided to post this video in. I wouldn't consider it to be "A complete rip off" it's like saying because you can build a Pi with a thousand roms an officially licensed cab is a complete rip-off because it costs a bit more. In fact, there are ethical issues with the "free" tables people are creating due to the fact it's based on licensed IP and it's amazing that the IP holders haven't stepped in and gotten angry in any way about it, the more attention this hobby gets the more likely it is to happen despite the already "forbidden" tables.

Second, Not everyone wants to build their own and learn about VP X/etc. Some people just want to play and are willing to pay for the convenience of doing so. In my opinion, going with a build-it route vs buying an Arcade1up is more expensive not just monetarily but time-wise I'd have to spend just getting solenoids working, getting button encoders, doing all of those things that are not only already done for me but also all already integrated.

This is why I choose to modify it in the way I did and keeping with the principle of making things as easy as possible to do it, because there shouldn't be a barrier for entry where you have to learn every little thing and have an electrical engineering degree just to get some feedback going (overexaggerating there) but that's how intimidating it is for some people.

You say they're marketed to the naive, you are the naive. There's a market for these for people like me, I absolutely have the talent to build one and even improve upon the interface for ease of use purposes but I'll still take the A1up over putting the effort into it because the screen was already chosen for me, the feedback was already implemented for me, the DMD was already put in for me, the wood was already cut, the graphics were already applied, most of all the software is commercially built specifically for it and works great.

Your feedback wasn't asked for and propping crap up with a diarrhea medication isn't how I want my cab to look when people come over and play with me.

Quoted from kool1:

It's very bad - I had mine for a few months and sold it.
    Very unfortunate as the cabinet itself is beautiful. They should have charged $100 more and put a decent PCB in there to run the games properly.

If you're referring to AFM(Williams Tables) then yeah, they weren't great in the beginning supposedly the firmware update corrected some of it. However, I don't really play those so I'm not 100% sure.

I've really enjoyed my table, and with what I've done with it I enjoy it even more as do my kids. To each their own, if you want a 'professional' vpin experience build like the guy above said, if you're just looking for something quick and entry-level to get your feet wet it does its job and it's fun to play with the kids and family.

Unless you're trying to run 1080p on Williams I don't notice a ton of flipper latency, though I'm biased because this is my first VPIN and I never played a lot of Pinball prior to this. I will say it was much more responsive than the toyshock.

Quoted from arcademojo:

Welcome to Pinside MysteryEncoder. You've done great work with these.

Glad to be here, just wanted to comment on someone asking about Toyshock; thanks.

#1046 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdroc:

I'd have to say that on Williams games it's REALLY bad for the most part and flipper lag making those games unplayable is the reason I'm selling one of my 2 A1up's (I have one at work that will stay because it's just a fun quick distraction). The Marvel/SW games are really pretty good. There's still lag, but they're fun and definitely playable.
    If, like me (at home), your thought was to have a way to kind of play a few Williams games you don't have at home, you'll be pretty disappointed. If, on the other hand, like me (at work) you just want to have some fun with the SW/Marvel/Zen games and separate the experience from physical pinball, I think you'll find it worth the cost.

I think these tables are very much intended for the casual player, but I am curious if you updated Williams and still saw the same latency?

Quoted from kool1:

I am referring to the AFM-Williams yes, I was not interested in digital Star Wars or Marvel games.
    If you don't play real pinball or good vpin, it's probably fine for a casual player. That said, these same games play so much better on even a basic PC with Steam it's hard to recommend these machines. Believe me, I talked myself into buying one and I regretted it almost immediately.

That's unfortunate, do you believe the latency is due to the switches behind the buttons themselves or the actual software? I'm only asking because the software is pretty instantaneous in terms of the response so the only other things I can think of are the switches behind the buttons, or the refresh rate of the screen causing an issue. As a lot of people are used to a much faster refresh rate when it comes to PC gaming or even standard T.V. viewing these days and it's not impossible for there to be input latency between the time you press a button and see the action in the game.

Have you updated your AFM-Williams tables to the updated version they released and still noticed it was bad? In testing PBA I've thought there's some flipper latency.... but again I feel the same latency applied to Williams tables and thought that's just kinda how those operated.

I think part of my issue is I really have nothing to compare it to, so I just figure whatever I get is what I should expect in terms of flipper latency.

#1048 2 years ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I think it's a combination of software and hardware. Hardware is barely adequate but I understand the update made it better.
    Still - if you play a lot of real pinball, you will hate this, I guarantee it.

I have played a bit of real pinball, but again; I'm not into the "simulation" tables I prefer the arcadey ones where I don't feel that same latency (Starwars, Marvel or the Zen Tables) lol.

Do you notice the same flipper lag/latency on Starwars/Marvel stock tables or only on the Williams ones?

Also, "Hardware is barely adequate" in terms of RAM (1GB) shared between CPU/GPU yeah they could've done better and at a minimum gone 2GB there but with the stripped-down android eco system, it can still perform decently well. With it driving two displays they should've gone higher and possibly with a better rockchip SoC.

But for what their goals were (720p, driving dual displays) I think the hardware is fairly adequate it's a decent processor, the issue is the game is poorly optimized in my personal opinion (Game developers suck at optimization) but not only that the Android eco system has a ton of bloat in it that really doesn't need to be there they could've avoided just running a Linux distro and having Zen port the app to Linux despite the development cost being higher.

2 weeks later
    #1068 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Should one update their Attack From Mars STOCK software from Arcade1up to the 9/14/21 STOCK as per https://arcade1up.com/pages/software-updates page (which has reportedly the Whitewater fix)? Or will that mess up using A1Pinner3.1? Or are the fixes in the official Arcade1up 9/14/21 update just updates to the pin software itself, so covered already depending on the apk file?
    If I'm understanding correctly, using the arcade1up pinball_wms_20210830.zip file (downloadable from their site), just updates Whitewater? Or if one already STARTS with an AfM pin, then go ahead and update from arcade1up because the WMS.apk pins are there anyway?

A1Pinner installs the same update, installing the update after installing A1Pinner will put you back to stock. "WMS.apk" is all that has really changed in this update, and they reflash the entire cabinet to install it.

A1Pinner if you use the WMS.apk install option and obtain the WMS.apk from the link on the team-encoder website, you'll have the updated version installed without reflashing the entire cabinet and will not lose high-scores like you would with their solution.

Quoted from Rick432:

Are these updated config files still necessary for proper solenoid functioning on all the tables as per the post from 61 days ago?
    If so, anyone know where someone could get the updated config files?
    (unless these "updated config files" are merely just the MVL, WMS, SWP apks)
    (or from this post 3 months ago from arcademojo which I picked up

Configuration files are specifically for Zen Pinball, they do not impact/effect MVP (Marvel),WMS(Williams),SWP(Starwars) pinball games that are stock to the cabinet.

Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

The cfg files are txt files for each game that are all nearly identical to each other, other than filename. Oversimplification, but: It contains info on what quadrant of the playfield contains the solenoids, to trigger the haptics. Not all tables work, but a good 80-90% of them will.
    ChicagoGuy - As to the APKs, I just got a PM this morning asking to re-up, will do so tonight. Are you still looking for these as well?
    I'm pretty sure I have a bulk directory of CFGs, will upload them as well...

While the cfg files are text files, what happens is very similar to how DOFLinx works on PC pinball stuff. The game ties a name to each object rather than quadrant, the code installed on the pinball machine that allows controls to work for Zen Pinball does more than just allowing controls to work and actually injects itself into areas where collision occurs on the table between the ball and an object on the virtual table.

When this collision occurs the code takes the name of the object the ball is colliding with and sends it to additional code that's running in the background responsible for triggering a solenoid, then the configuration file is used to determine based on which name of the object was hit what solenoid should be fired thus allowing for further immersion because you can dictate a object on the left side of the field should trigger the left solenoid.

TL;DR version: The configuration files control what solenoid to fire and contain names of objects and are only for Zen Pinball tables and none of the 30 stock tables.

#1071 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

I'm not finding a link for WMS.apk on the team-encoder website, just the link to A1Pinnerv3.1 https://www.team-encoder.com/A1Pinner

You'll need to dig a few links deeper, we don't directly link to it. There is however a YouTube video that links to it within the A1Pinner V3.1 release page that's linked on the page you've specified.

Quoted from Rick432:

But I suppose, if not worried about retaining high scores, since this is for an INITIAL install on a new AfM, I could simply update via STOCK, then use A1Pinnerv3.1 to export (DUMP) the WMS tables, making my OWN updated WMS.apk, which I would reflash A1Pinnerv3.1, installing the DUMPED WMS.apk (and MVL and SWP apks) to get to where I want to be.

Redundant,
    Flashing the update then dumping the file, then reinstalling the file is doing nothing. You're just replacing the file with the file that's already there at that point.

A1Pinner does not reflash the cab in any way, it simply installs more into it or replaces the original given the update has not already been applied with the updated version, the way to think of it is like updating apps on your phone vs factory resetting your entire phone. What Arcade1up does is technically like a full factory reset with some newer versions of preloaded apps, where this just updates apps and installs some new ones.

It's a bit more complex than that because of some of what it does to hook onto the controls to determine if you're pressing both white buttons to re-enter the launcher, and to get Zen Pinball working but yeah.

Quoted from Rick432:

for adding Zen, with the configs (generically written but titled for each Zen game to give at least a decent chance of solenoid function, and included with A1Pinnerv3.1).

Configs are small, just upload all of em don't pick and choose on those.

2 months later
    #1100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Barely owned for a couple of months and now blue screened..
    Will have to search for a fix, but I probably wouldn't buy again anyway.

PCB overheated, common problem with the first generation of them. Contact arcade1up they'll give you some fuss about being out of warranty and still send you a replacement PCB. I highly recommend keeping the PCB out of the metal case as that thing just adds to the problem at the moment the way it was designed.

https://arcade1up.freshdesk.com/support/login

#1104 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Ultimately if I have to pay for one, I will, I want it back up and running then I just need to reload everything. Aluminum case off for sure. Thanks for your input I was pretty irritated when a friend of mine played it and I've been bragging about how cool it was and it literally died in the middle of him playing.

They won't make you pay for it, it's a manufacturing fault in the original PCBs and they just won't admit to it.

#1106 1 year ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

Been a big concern of mine. I had gotten one of these in the beginning and nervous to lose it down the road when they’re no longer being produced. Definitely going to take the advice here and pull it from the case.

There's good and bad news if we ever hit that point, starting with the good... we could technically replace the PCB entirely since we know how the software works and could do it relatively cheaply with an after market board that runs like $30-80 USD so still cheaper than a PC and we'd lose no functionality, in fact probably gaining the ability to run the AFM/Williams tables at 1080p with a decent frame rate.

The bad is ofc having to buy a new board, and the worse is that no Linux kernel currently supports the method I would want to use to drive the dual-display; basically, I'm saying if we ever got to a point they were no longer producing hardware and we needed an "Open-Source" alternative it's doable and should be relatively possible to make it a drop-in replacement as well.

The main limiting factor with doing this currently has mostly been not wanting to deal with LVDS output, a board that allows attaching to the other stock cables is relatively simple outside of needing a different external power source unless the current one was converted as well; it's something I've been thinking a lot about.

Any drop-in replacement like that I'd want to open-source the hardware schematic for as well (It'd probably be a "hat" that snaps onto an existing board to allow for plug and play) so that someone could just go to a manufacturer and produce it without someone supporting it.

3 weeks later
    #1128 1 year ago

"Hash Verification Failed" - it's an integrity check and it uses a 'hash' to do this unless you're using the versions of the APKs expected and they are fully intact they will not work, meaning the versions which are linked on the youtube video which is linked to on the team-encoder site are those that should be used.

Any others and the Hash verification will fail, preventing you from loading it because it's not the APK it expects or it's been damaged/corrupted in your download or transfer process.

2 weeks later
    #1147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Smack:

How many tables have you tested out? I am curious how well these play. A friend has one of these so I am going to set her up with it soon and give it a test drive. Sounded like there were issues with ST:TNG and another table, but aside from that do they function well? Can you nudge with the buttons on the cab? Hopefully Pinball Arcade will get full hardware support soon.

STTNG works, Ghostbusters had ball lag in 1080p but it's playable. You can't nudge via buttons on the cab, it uses the built-in gyro for nudge.

#1163 1 year ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

Yup, that was the first way I tried with all the tables, as I value playability over graphic quality. When I made the switch, it was odd to see that most tables play better in 1080p.

It's possible you have a 'bug' with the A1pinner stuff where for whatever reason it'll say you're in 1080p when you're actually in 720p; I never fixed it but it led to people believing that AFM tables were running in 1080p without lag confusing everyone.

#1167 1 year ago
    Quoted from jmdumas:

Anyone else having bad flipper lag on the TPA tables? Missing shots because of lag is driving me insane, most TPA tables are borderline unplayable. I totally understand big tables like Ghostbusters not working properly but the PCB should be able to run the simpler ones right?
    SW/Marvel/AFM stock tables play fine. Zen is hit or miss but most are enjoyable.
    So, any tips on improving flipper lag in TPA?

Are you playing in 1080p? Make sure graphics are turned lower on PBA.

#1169 1 year ago
    Quoted from jmdumas:

Hey thanks for replying!
    No, I'm doing 720p. With all the overheating issues, I'm not taking any chances.
    So I take it you and your team don't experience any lag on TPA? Could it be the amount of memory taken on the PCB by too many tables? Something like not having enough free cache or swap?

Depending on the table, I don't see lag. But it's possible that the PCB is heating up causing it to throttle if you haven't decased or done any additional cooling there's a number of factors to be perfectly honest with you. These tables at times are just too finicky and the chip isn't extremely powerful or well optimized for what it's being used for at the moment.

2 weeks later
    #1174 1 year ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

I've got a Williams cab from the first batch release and a SW cab from the May 4th deal. Initially, many Williams tables were laggy, with some being absolutely unplayable. After the latest patch, some issues were addressed, but the games still have noticeable lag when compared to the SW and Marvel games. Now this lag might be attributed to my run of cab, as I also have issues with major lag on PA tables on the latest ME software, where many users seem to not have this issue at all. As for my SW cab running the A1up software, zero lag on any table.
    My Williams cab is currently running ME's software, so has all the A1up game packs as well as Zen and PA. Out of all the games, I found myself playing the Marvel games the most, especially Fear Itself.

If you run in 1080p, it's laggy on those tables. If you run in 720p it's generally decent. In the next version I'll have to clean up some of the "HD" code to verify that the table is not running in 1080p despite advertising that it's not as there was a bug in earlier versions where it would sometimes believe it was in 1080p or not when the opposite was true.

1 week later
    #1178 1 year ago
    Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I just upgraded mine to use a 27"monitor with the arcade1up board and the geekworm lvds to hdmi board. Only problem is the monitor intermittently blanks out for a few seconds at a time. The Geekworm wiki site claims its an unstable signal from lvds output and to set output as "FREE RUN" which I don't think is possible. Any solution? Thanks! FYI it's the Marvel version and it's the geekworm board version in the attached photo. I have none of the config pins jumped and not sure if I should. Standard Acer monitor with 2 hdmi inputs, one dvi and is about 5 years old. [quoted image]

https://www.team-encoder.com/pinscreenfix

4 weeks later
    #1189 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kderrick:

Thanks for that. Very informative video. I only added TPA games that I wanted and there is a ton of space left so I will most likely buy a bunch of Marvel games to add to Zen. [quoted image]

PBA, and Zen use separate storage. Zen can be stored on a USB stick technically in the 3.9 update.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mysteryencoder.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-?tu=mysteryencoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.