(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't know if Zen would or not. That's not the point. I picked an easy censoring target, that's no less ridiculous than the things someone else said they HAVE censored. I'm not going to support a company that does that crap, so I can definitely say I'm out on all of the Arcade1UP 'pins' if the Williams one retains that.

That is ridiculous. You are saying that the ONLY reason you won’t support them is because they’re careful not to jeopardize their ESRB rating, and risk getting their software pulled from kid-friendly consoles? But otherwise you were 100% on board....

Don’t get me wrong, there’s lots of things in this world worth standing up for or against on principle but that’s a strange one to feel so strongly about

#152 4 years ago
    1A91118C-8556-4BE2-A37C-34F7E4ADA2AE (resized).jpeg1A91118C-8556-4BE2-A37C-34F7E4ADA2AE (resized).jpeg400AD32E-0042-4594-BAB9-745742A2049C (resized).jpeg400AD32E-0042-4594-BAB9-745742A2049C (resized).jpegB0AF7C42-103C-4407-83E5-7C28ED8E16DB (resized).jpegB0AF7C42-103C-4407-83E5-7C28ED8E16DB (resized).jpeg
    #153 4 years ago

Thanks for the photos, they look pretty good. I'm interested to see how they play and at what price they come in at.

#154 4 years ago

If it’s as easy to jailbreak as their arcade machine, that thing will be awesome !

#155 4 years ago

Is it just the angle of the shot, or is the monitor the wrong shape for a DMD?

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Is it just the angle of the shot, or is the monitor the wrong shape for a DMD?

It’s a short rectangle thing, odd size yes

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

If it’s as easy to jailbreak as their arcade machine, that thing will be awesome !

Can you do much after you jailbreak the arcade 1up's though? I didn't think you could add any additional games and thought it was really to just access the menu. I know most went the Raspberry PI or Pandora route instead of messing with the factory boards however I haven't been following the modding threads that much so I am sure things could have changed since I last read about them a few months ago.

#158 4 years ago

Now these ones actually feel like a pinball, I’m impressed.

Pinball Arcade must be annoyed first zen takes there licence So they go and partner with a toy company, then zen go and partner with what appears to be a better company! Lol

#159 4 years ago

Is that white column the optional riser?

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Is that white column the optional riser?

Lmfao

#161 4 years ago

This is fantastic news. This will 100% bring more people into the hobby and have a long term impact, similar to virtual pinball (which is what drew me back in).

I have only seen one parallel like this brining young folks into a hobby traditionally occupied by adults. That was the summer of 2003 when Finding Nemo was released. The new blood and life it breathed into the aquarium trade cannot be understated. There were tons of new people that flocked into the hobby for their kids, and it turned out that kids parents enjoyed the hobby much more than their kids and many new reef tanks were sold. There were a lot of dead fish, but there was a huge spike in the industry in 2003/2004, and the tail from that boost lasted for year. I am expecting these 3/4 scale pins to drive demand for the real thing.

Its just a hobby, but I enjoy it. The more people in it, the more options I have and the more potential buddies I make.

finding-nemo-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpgfinding-nemo-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    #162 4 years ago

Not sure if this will be a type of gateway drug to get more people buying real pinball machines, but I can say for certain that I wouldn't be in this hobby without the Pinball Arcade iPad app.. So really if they can have a decent playing virtual pin for ~$500, I can't see why anyone would think thats a bad thing.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Not sure if this will be a type of gateway drug to get more people buying real pinball machines, but I can say for certain that I wouldn't be in this hobby without the Pinball Arcade iPad app.. So really if they can have a decent playing virtual pin for ~$500, I can't see why anyone would think thats a bad thing.

I agree and it looks pretty darn good as well so won’t be such a cheap looking eyesore amongst real machines/games.

#164 4 years ago

Is quite a big jump from a $500 toy to a $5000 real machine hehe

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I'm sure it will be a gateway drug for some people, but not a massive boom. The Arcade1Up cabinets seem to be selling pretty well overall, anecdotally all of the people I know who have bought those just keep buying more instead of moving into collecting real arcade cabinets. For what it's worth I don't blame them, the 1Up cabinets are essentially plug and play with little to no maintenance.

#166 4 years ago

CES opens to the public today. Hopefully a pinsider or two can give some gameplay impressions.

#167 4 years ago

It puts the ripoff prices of NIBs nowadays into very, very sharp relief.

#168 4 years ago

Think of it this way. You could save $250 by buying one of these instead of a topper for your Stern Star Wars.

#169 4 years ago

These are interesting depending on how you can mod it. If it can be setup to play all fx3 games and maybe put a monitor in that backbox I'd be in...

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Except you can go from one of these to a used sub-$2000 pin. Plenty of great playing machines around or under that price point. So then it'd be less of a jump.

#171 4 years ago

More people getting into pinball doesn't mean they need to buy a machine. Growth could mean more people playing on location, increased attendance at shows, added players in tournaments, etc. So those saying that it is a big jump going to a real game need to remember that pinball growth came come in many ways.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Han shot first. On that I think we all can agree.

Yes! But even more, in the original theatrical version Han was actually the ONLY one to shoot. He basically blew Greedo away before Greedo even had the chance to fire his blaster. Makes sense really, you don't stay alive in the kinds of places Han hangs out in, unless you're willing to be ruthless when forced to. Or unless you have Jedi powers!

#173 4 years ago

Im excited for these. I built myself a 32" playfield virtual cabinet a few years ago. It totally gave me the bug. I bought a South Park in 2018, and then 6 months later I bought a Simpsons Pinball Party.

Virtual is a completely different experience, but having multiple games in a one cabinet is awesome. A plug and play solution like this should do well IMO. Im excited to hear more about the build quality and performance. Ill assume its better than my budget cabinet i built from old TVs and old PCs i had laying around. But really looking forward to seeing what people have to say and the price point.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I don't think gateway pin means that they will immediately buy a NIB game or even buy a game. If anything it might draw up interest in the low end market, or at the very least drums up more support for games on route. Being "into pinball" doesn't always mean that you have to own a game.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

More people getting into pinball doesn't mean they need to buy a machine. Growth could mean more people playing on location, increased attendance at shows, added players in tournaments, etc. So those saying that it is a big jump going to a real game need to remember that pinball growth came come in many ways.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

I don't think gateway pin means that they will immediately buy a NIB game or even buy a game. If anything it might draw up interest in the low end market, or at the very least drums up more support for games on route. Being "into pinball" doesn't always mean that you have to own a game.

Remember where all the cheap dumped pins came from? Operators!!! More people dropping Coin in location games will bring more op games. That will eventually bring more used games to the market.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

The Arcade1Up cabinets seem to be selling pretty well overall, anecdotally all of the people I know who have bought those just keep buying more instead of moving into collecting real arcade cabinets.

I own one and belong to the Facebook group and while they're not running out to buy a full size arcade machine they are modding the crap out of them with new control panels, backbox lighting and replace the crappy native board with Raspberry Pi's and such. I spent $100 for a new spinner when I bought the Arcade1up for $150. So there is a movement towards "better" after the initial purchase.

I think is definitely going to drive people to real pinball. Heck, that's what got me into this hobby... I started with looking at shuffleboard for my rec room, stumbled across virtual pins and almost bought/built one. Then I played real pinball for the first time in many years and was hooked.

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Seeing that they have a Universal themed cab and only 3 Universal themed games (as of now).....I suspect the Star Wars and Bally / Williams cabs may be limited to 3 games also (even though they have released more than that already). That would be a bummer.

if you include the three Jurassic Park tables on Zen, wouldnt it be 6 Universal tables?

#178 4 years ago

and by the way, I'm one of those folks who got pulled into "real" pinball by way of building a VPX table using a full size Bally cab

I'll be buying a real pinball machine this year (hopefully a Wedgehead)

#179 4 years ago

The size doesn't seem terrible. The guy standing to the side of it claims to be 6'2", and the guy playing is even taller.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 2.01.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-07 at 2.01.33 PM (resized).png
    #180 4 years ago

Nice to see them recess the playfield screen to give it more depth feeling.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

The size doesn't seem terrible. The guy standing to the side of it claims to be 6'2", and the guy playing is even taller.[quoted image]

Nice! This is exactly what I wanted to see. Size/height comparisons!

Sitting on a stool and pinball literally won't work....so this kinda needs to be closer to full scale.

#182 4 years ago

My screenshot came from this video

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Same thing for me. I started playing Pinball Arcade 6 years ago, and it opened my eyes to the existence of rules and strategy and just how awesome pinball could be. There were zero locations to play at near my house at that time. Whenever we would go on vacation I would research the Pinside map and try to find some physical machines to play. The best was a trip to California, driving up the coast from LA to San Francisco. We must have hit 10 different locations in 1 week. I started searching Craigslist for used machines and jumped when one near me became available.

If I had more room at home I would definitely own more than 1 pin.

p.s. Free Gold Watch in San Francisco is the best!

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Looks pretty cool. The guy playing in the video said the haptic feedback is good, no delay. Price point of $450 - $650.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Can you do much after you jailbreak the arcade 1up's though? I didn't think you could add any additional games and thought it was really to just access the menu. I know most went the Raspberry PI or Pandora route instead of messing with the factory boards however I haven't been following the modding threads that much so I am sure things could have changed since I last read about them a few months ago.

The problem isn't about adding games, which is doable (it runs on Mame, Moo or Retroarch and can be replaced with an open version). The problem is the storage memory that’s only 100mb which is why running a Pi makes more sense.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I really like the sit down Star Wars. Putting him on my shopping list !

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Looks pretty cool. The guy playing in the video said the haptic feedback is good, no delay. Price point of $450 - $650.

I hope the "DMD" screen is just proto...that aspect ratio squishing everything looks like shit.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Thanks for posting that! The height definitely looks acceptable.

Rep in the video said he couldn't give a price, ballpark from $450-650.

6'2" rep hits him at the shoulder, so 59" also seems accurate!

Screenshot_20200107-142521_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200107-142521_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200107-142501_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200107-142501_YouTube (resized).jpg
    #189 4 years ago
    Quoted from spaldingclan:

if you include the three Jurassic Park tables on Zen, wouldnt it be 6 Universal tables?

Yep...that's what I mentioned on a later post when I realized the Jurassic movies were Universal.

#190 4 years ago

Looks great! Will just come down to price, and if I can add more games.
    I'll put it in my bathroom.

I think this will make a few people realize the REAL AFM etc are available new for sale right now and find a way to buy it. Big price jump but this can only be good for pinball.

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Think of it this way. You could save $250 by buying one of these instead of a topper for your Stern Star Wars.

You could just put this on top of your Star Wars. Looks better

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

Looks great! Will just come down to price, and if I can add more games.
    I'll put it in my bathroom.
    I think this will make a few people realize the REAL AFM etc are available new for sale right now and find a way to buy it. Big price jump but this can only be good for pinball.

I do think these have a chance of getting people to buy real machines down the line. It's a little different from the arcade cabinets as I think the 1up arcade cabs are much closer to the real thing than virtual pinball is. Now, buying pinball machines is kind of crazy in general so I'm not sure how many will actually buy the real thing, but I'm pretty sure it won't be zero.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

I do think these have a chance of getting people to buy real machines down the line. It's a little different from the arcade cabinets as I think the 1up arcade cabs are much closer to the real thing than virtual pinball is. Now, buying pinball machines is kind of crazy in general so I'm not sure how many will actually buy the real thing, but I'm pretty sure it won't be zero.

I have a co-worker that never even seen a pinball machine before. He only knew about pinball from what he played on his Apple tablet. He now owns 5 real pins. So I think this will get more into real pins. I am probably going to get one. Just not sure if I want first Gen or not. I have some 1up cabs and they have vastly improved from 1st gen cabs.

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Yep...that's what I mentioned on a later post when I realized the Jurassic movies were Universal.

The universal classics pack, moster pack, and jurrassic park that's 8 tables i think.

#195 4 years ago

The real question is...

Can I mount a $750 Stern Star Wars Topper on this?

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yes! But even more, in the original theatrical version Han was actually the ONLY one to shoot. He basically blew Greedo away before Greedo even had the chance to fire his blaster. Makes sense really, you don't stay alive in the kinds of places Han hangs out in, unless you're willing to be ruthless when forced to. Or unless you have Jedi powers!

It was a classic western trope. And that is why it worked so well.
    No shame in shooting first if you setup that the baddie deserved it.

Hell... The duke even offed a guy in at least one movie(possibly more), and they made a point to address that in the movie.
    That movie was El Dorado. And yes... There is some stuff that people would cringe at today, and call racist... And while the movie at times feels old and creaky(becasue the two male leads were past their prime), its still a good film.

But, at the end of the film. The duke rolls up in a wagon and blasts the main thug(main hired hand) and before that guy dies, he says something to the effect you never gave me a chance. And the duke replies "No you were too dangerous to".

So... No shame in shooting first. In my oppinion the alteration of that scene, really makes the first star wars so much worse. And each change they've done, made it worse and worse.
    I don't mind all the stupid additions. But, that one I hate. I hope they'll release a han shot first blu ray edition one day. I know it'll never happen.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

It was a classic western trope. And that is why it worked so well.
    No shame in shooting first if you setup that the baddie deserved it.
    Hell... The duke even offed a guy in at least one movie(possibly more), and they made a point to address that in the movie.
    That movie was El Dorado. And yes... There is some stuff that people would cringe at today, and call racist... And while the movie at times feels old and creaky(becasue the two male leads were past their prime), its still a good film.
    But, at the end of the film. The duke rolls up in a wagon and blasts the main thug(main hired hand) and before that guy dies, he says something to the effect you never gave me a chance. And the duke replies "No you were too dangerous to".
    So... No shame in shooting first. In my oppinion the alteration of that scene, really makes the first star wars so much worse. And each change they've done, made it worse and worse.
    I don't mind all the stupid additions. But, that one I hate. I hope they'll release a han shot first blu ray edition one day. I know it'll never happen.

I’m waiting for the Disney+ version Of El Dorado, where after John Wayne blast the thug and before he dies, the bad guy says “Macclunkey”

#198 4 years ago

Just watched the video.. he mentioned, good sound quality, liked the haptic feedback and the screen had good viewing angles. Williams will have 10 tables included. Will have an accelerometer for nudging. Looks like this is going to be a good toy.

Wish list:
    - get a plunger on their (probably creates some packaging inefficiencies. (I guess given they picked AFM artwork you could argue not to have a plunger)

- square off that head to be more Williams like. Not sure why they need to have rounded off on the back. (But maybe it keeps it

Curious to see what it feels like to nudge. I can picture some of you guys slap saving this thing across a room.

I may get one of these if they keep it sub 500. There normal cab is $299. Should be possible.

#199 4 years ago

NBA JAM live. sweet

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Just watched the video.. he mentioned, good sound quality, liked the haptic feedback and the screen had good viewing angles. Williams will have 10 tables included. Will have an accelerometer for nudging. Looks like this is going to be a good toy.
    Wish list:
    - get a plunger on their (probably creates some packaging inefficiencies. (I guess given they picked AFM artwork you could argue not to have a plunger)
    - square off that head to be more Williams like. Not sure why they need to have rounded off on the back. (But maybe it keeps it
    Curious to see what it feels like to nudge. I can picture some of you guys slap saving this thing across a room.
    I may get one of these if they keep it sub 500. There normal cab is $299. Should be possible.

No need for a plunger. Just make it AFM, MM and MB I'd buy that!!

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/4?hl=pinmasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.