(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 25.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, I got chewed out by their VP for basically asking why wouldn't they offer the ability. I pointed out software is more lucrative than hardware. And I got accused of not knowing anything about business...
    OKay... Maybe... But, I wouldn't insult people who buy your products.
    And I know something as I can actually afford to buy most of their products and have bought 8 of their cabs... Let alone numerous pinball machines... But, hey... What do I know.
    If that is how they interact with someone... I might not purchase anything from them again... I probably will... But, if they can't take some online posts and just attack and lash out. WOW, how do they react when there is a real issue.
    Edit... One last thing I do know. Easier to keep a client than to gain a new one. And if most peoples homes are more like mine. Then they're running out of space. So... You will have limited returns on the recurring customers, cos we're running out of room. But, sure.What do I know. So their business model... Going to need to change. Sure they'll expand. But, guess what. Most of the people who see my house. They like a few of things, but most do not want their house cluttered with mini cabs and pins. A few sure. But, most people just want streamlined normal entertainment areas. We're the freaks who like this stuff.

If you want to see them get really pissy, ask why some of the art and call outs on the B/W games they released is censored.

For some reason that's a super sensitive issue to them.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

If you want to see them get really pissy, ask why some of the art and call outs on the B/W games they released is censored.
    For some reason that's a super sensitive issue to them.

That's zen, and its for bs reasons so they don't get classified as over E or something stupid for the ratings.
    It's silly because they remove cleavage on figures that you'll never see during gameplay. And take away cigarettes and other things. But, on road show they also take out the ball falling on the construction worker for the shoot again animation. Really silly and stupid I agree.
    But, different company. This was the a1up VP insulting me... I might not be a VP. I might work 2 jobs. But, I do own my own business. I own my house, my car, have healthcare, and can afford nice things. And I do make more than most people(I earn though). No need to insult people. Especially people who buy your product that is unnecessary.
    You will never wake up and say I really do need an A1up cab. You may want one, but never need one.
    Also, if it was my business I wouldn't put out bad pcb and rom files of games. I'd play test them and make sure whatever changes we did to them didn't break them.
    Not that hard to debug old arcade games. Just needed to play through them. And actually I believe the rampage still has some screen clipping that never got sorted out.

I mean... If they ever do get to Elvira and the Party Monsters or Scared Stiff... You know they're going to probably going to remove all the I'm experiencing multiple jackpots... A kid won't get that joke. They might find it silly, but they won't get it.
    So yeah... I don't get the imposed censorship that Zen does. Makes no sense to me. But, hey they got the rights. And it also costs more to butcher those games then to leave them alone. I would try to sneak them through the rating and if it got higher, I'd resubmit with changes. There should be a resubmital process. There is with film.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Why is it the legs look bigger than the machine?

Wouldn't it be funny if they sold a riser for the pins, like the riser sold for their 3/4 size video cabinets. But perhaps I should not give them any ideas about that, or they will sell a dinky game, with longer legs as an expensive add-on.

Had the same reaction, striking how odd the game looks, with nearly normal legs, and a miniature cabinet. Hope the height of the game is normal, or nearly so.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

That's zen, and its for bs reasons so they don't get classified as over E or something stupid for the ratings.
    So yeah... I don't get the imposed censorship that Zen does. Makes no sense to me. But, hey they got the rights. And it also costs more to butcher those games then to leave them alone. I would try to sneak them through the rating and if it got higher, I'd resubmit with changes. There should be a resubmital process. There is with film.

It’s one thing if doesn’t make sense to you, but it’s not “bs”.

It’s called responsible business practice. When you have respect for your license holders (like Disney) and want to maintain a business relationship with them, you need to dot every I and cross every T. Zen doesn’t write the ESRB ratings. The ratings may have some stupidity associated with them, but it’s not stupid of Zen to be careful.

Disney is probably not going to want to do sustained business with someone would “try to sneak them through”

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from No_Pickles:

It’s one thing if doesn’t make sense to you, but it’s not “bs”.
    It’s called responsible business practice. When you have respect for your license holders (like Disney) and want to maintain a business relationship with them, you need to dot every I and cross every T. Zen doesn’t write the ESRB ratings. The ratings may have some stupidity associated with them, but it’s not stupid of Zen to be careful.
    Disney is probably not going to want to do sustained business with someone would “try to sneak them through”

Its not sneaking something through. These pinball machines have been out in the public eye for decades. The need to get rid of the cleavage on cyclone when we're talking about 3-5 pixels of detail. Is BS and silly. Most laymen would not enough notice the difference.
    The cigarettes I actually understand about that. I think that one is silly, but understandable.

Lastly, I think ratings boards themselves are in fact bs.
    They are rife with corruption and can be used a as tool to keep independent organizations out of an industry. The film industry for example does use the MPAA as a means to keep low budget films out of the theaters. Lots of articles, documentaries, and books talk about it. Even Mr Kaufman at Troma discusses how his films get unfairly maligned.

And how is it sneaking when you present it to the board for rating, and will see how it gets rated.
    Then you make changes to it. Based on their recommendations(which are more arbitrary and generally vary from panel to panel.

For comics there was the comics code, and it was so stifling that they decided to hell with it, and started to publish without it. And guess what it led to the resurgence in comic books as an artform.

So while I am not against censorship per say(I believe in self censorship), but I am wary of most of those bodies. And again. No sneaking no treachery. Submit. See where the chips lie. Then if you need make changes and resubmit. It happens in films all the time.

Because, I am a purist. I don't like changes to the original IP. Whether it be songs, movies, comics, art, or tv shows. Present the originals unadulterated and altered. That is what I will always prefer.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from No_Pickles:

When you have respect for your license holders (like Disney) and want to maintain a business relationship with them, you need to dot every I and cross every T. Zen doesn’t write the ESRB ratings. The ratings may have some stupidity associated with them, but it’s not stupid of Zen to be careful.

Also they want to keep their 'E' rating for parents who filter which games their kids can have before buying.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Also they want to keep their 'E' rating for parents who filter which games their kids can have before buying.

I get that. and I think its possible to do both without the overboard censorship.

#108 4 years ago

Again, I know its a different governing(not in the fed or state government but in the industry as these are self imposed bodies) body. But the south park creators discussed the sex scene in team america and how they loaded it up with some of the most disgusting things they could think of and made it many, many times longer than they desired it to be. that way they would trim it, and resubmit it to the ratings board, so that way the board would think they got their way and their trims.

Other stories are of directors, just resubmitting and never making a single cut, and getting their desired rating.
    Rating boards are silly and dumb, and completely across the board with how they conduct their ratings.
    I don't know about video games. But, if people are involved then yes I believe that they are just as flawed as any other board.

You want to know the best rating board.
    Yourself. Read the book, play the game, watch the movie, tv show, listen to the song before you let your child. You decide. Because, I stand with Frank Zappa, John Denver, and Dee Snider. Its silly and dumb.

And FYI... Frank Zappa's last album got a parental advisory sticker slapped on out of malice. They rated that album, because they could not rate his back catalog. Guess what. His last album, was instrumental. So... How did that require or deserve a parental advisory sticker.

Hmmmm... Yep... Ratings boards... Not needed... And more often BS!

#109 4 years ago

We're sitting here …talking about graphics. I mean, listen, we're talking about graphics. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We're talking about graphics. Not a game. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game. We're talking about graphics, man.

#110 4 years ago

Looks like the other title is based on Zen’s “Universal Classics” table pack with Jaws, Back To The Future and E.T. But, I also see an Attack From Mars model next to it...nice!! If they released an Attack From Mars model with ~10 Bally Williams games and minimal lag for around $500, I’ll be all over it!

-Doug
    32826C3C-767F-4DB8-85DD-2242B1A7F06A (resized).jpeg32826C3C-767F-4DB8-85DD-2242B1A7F06A (resized).jpeg

#111 4 years ago

At 500 I might be in too. Little compact pinball. Force feedback could be the tie breaker for me. Hey that's cheaper than a Pinball topper!

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

One of the four player is what a lot of people want... game list may be unexpected though.

I’ll take a guess. Konami Simpsons, X-Men & DE Captain America....all IPs owned by Disney now, so I could see these being a combo...even tho it’s pretty weird.

#113 4 years ago

Would be so amazing for my basement toy displays of they make one with Monster Bash artwork!!!!!

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ll take a guess. Konami Simpsons, X-Men & DE Captain America....all IPs owned by Disney now, so I could see these being a combo...even tho it’s pretty weird.

A Konami multi cab would be dope!!!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

And how is it sneaking

I was just quoting your previous post.

I understand your point of view, but I have enough confidence in how Zen studios does business that I trust they are being careful for a good reason.

I have no insider knowledge and could be wrong.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from No_Pickles:

I was just quoting your previous post.
    I understand your point of view, but I have enough confidence in how Zen studios does business that I trust they are being careful for a good reason.
    I have no insider knowledge and could be wrong.

Well sneaking was a poor choice of words on my part. I meant more. Submit and see what happens. Yes, it probably costs money to re-submit to the board. But, having a person make those alterations costs money as well.
    Again. My stance is one based on purity.

When I buy an old movie or something of similar ilk and I find it's been censored I'm not happy. I'd tell that to George Lucas. Han shot first.
    On that I think we all can agree.

#117 4 years ago

Yah - also prob not a big deal to yank the Android guts out, upgrade the display, and get a full pc in this cab for a full 3/4 Zen pinball setup.

The cab is great looking and frankly 3/4 size pin cabinets are few to choose from. Unless you custom build.

#118 4 years ago

Minimal flipper lag still is a deal breaker. I expect the flipper bat to flip precisely when I hit the button. I don’t want to learn how to compensate for a broken game, I just want it to work.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Minimal flipper lag still is a deal breaker. I expect the flipper bat to flip precisely when I hit the button. I don’t want to learn how to compensate for a broken game, I just want it to work.

I think you’ll be disappointed.

#120 4 years ago

No doubt. Will be an easy pass for me.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

No doubt. Will be an easy pass for me.

I would imagine. You got a great collection. We'll see how the flipper lag is... One thing that you need to do is to be able to rapid flip to gain control or juggle flip... Or whatever you call it. Most Vpins you can't do the same type of flipping to gain control as you do on a real machine.
    Still lets wait and see what the bundles are and how they perform.
    I will say though. If its an Attack from Mars MM and MB bundle... since I have plans on buying an Attack or MM this year and already own a MBr I'm probably not that interested in that bundle. And I'm only interested in the actual bally williams bundles. But, again. Lets wait and see.

But, for 500-600... I wait a month or two, and I can buy a real pin for that price. Nothing great... But, a real pin is a real pin.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, I got chewed out by their VP for basically asking why wouldn't they offer the ability. I pointed out software is more lucrative than hardware. And I got accused of not knowing anything about business...
    OKay... Maybe... But, I wouldn't insult people who buy your products.

Hey, when the VP of a company cops an attitude, it just so happens what I actually hear is “please pirate my shit kk thx” lulz

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Hey, when the VP of a company cops an attitude, it just so happens what I actually hear is “please pirate my shit kk thx” lulz

Funny thing. I actually like their product and say mostly good things about it. But, now... Really don't want to support them, and if I notice an issue(which lets be honest they have had a lot of them, they have lots of excuses, but again I don't care about those) I don't think I'll be as understanding.
    Its fine. My game room could use more pinballs and less home 3/4 cabs.
    In fact I'm thinking perhaps maybe I'll get my father that Rocky and Bullwinkle cab sooner than later for his house.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol no, nba jam

#125 4 years ago

Seeing that they have a Universal themed cab and only 3 Universal themed games (as of now).....I suspect the Star Wars and Bally / Williams cabs may be limited to 3 games also (even though they have released more than that already). That would be a bummer.

#126 4 years ago

They are saying there will be 4 pinball machines with about 10 games on each 1

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

They are saying there will be 4 pinball machines with about 10 games on each 1

That is what I was originally expecting also, but seeing the Universal themed cab throws that off. ......but now I see that Jurassic Park / Jurassic World is also Universal. So they may also throw those 3 games on there.

Adding the 3 Alien games on there would make a nice 9 game "Movie" themed cab, but that is owned by Disney now I believe.

#128 4 years ago

If it plays well with force feedback I might get one for the garage. But my VP already runs all zen as well as VP games and it is 3 display on a Gottlieb widebody sized cabinet. It will really come down to how fluid the motion is and how well the force feedback system works.

#129 4 years ago

Must be the new thing, Local bowling alley just put these in a few months back.

4B8AFF5A-F507-40B0-B27A-90AF7AF35000 (resized).jpeg4B8AFF5A-F507-40B0-B27A-90AF7AF35000 (resized).jpeg6D1D3510-1AEC-4E91-8319-0D9A05F27BFB (resized).jpeg6D1D3510-1AEC-4E91-8319-0D9A05F27BFB (resized).jpeg74847B8D-31BB-4AF5-8D5B-DC94DEDBCD32 (resized).jpeg74847B8D-31BB-4AF5-8D5B-DC94DEDBCD32 (resized).jpeg93AB832F-587B-45B4-9444-4BAA44CCBE0E (resized).jpeg93AB832F-587B-45B4-9444-4BAA44CCBE0E (resized).jpeg
    #130 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Must be the new thing, Local bowling alley just put these in a few months back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that an actual dmd on the top glass or lcd to look like a dmd?

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Is that an actual dmd on the top glass or lcd to look like a dmd?

Looks like lcd to me

#132 4 years ago

These are labeled PINBALL CLUB. Must be a different company than Arcade1UP using the licenses.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Must be the new thing, Local bowling alley just put these in a few months back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Must be the new thing, Local bowling alley just put these in a few months back.

That is the first coin-op Vpin I have seen. Clearly those are running FX software.

Did you try playing them? Where they fun and well made?

Looks better than the shoebox with legs in the arcade1up photos, but obviously not cheap.

These guys will sell you a 3monitor Vpin (VPX?) with a coin door for $3499.
    http://pittsburghvirtualpinball.com/product/virtual-pinball-machine

The VPcab website says they are working on a coin-op version. Seems like a good compromise for folks like Dave and Busters who are afraid of real pinball.

#134 4 years ago

Retro Ralph did a livestream about the leaks last night. What was not a typical pinball crowd seemed very excited about these virtual pins in the chat. I'm guessing these are going to sell quite well. As to whether these will be considered a "gateway" drug to real pins is probably unlikely.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Can you explain? I've got someone blocked and no idea who it is. Already removed like 6 or 7 people from my block lists, I'm not about to go through the other 40 or so..lol. Need a temporary "show all posts " feature...

Copy page URL - Open new Incognito/Private tab, paste in URL - instant 'see all posts' feature

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Retro Ralph did a livestream about the leaks last night. What was not a typical pinball crowd seemed very excited about these virtual pins in the chat. I'm guessing these are going to sell quite well. As to whether these will be considered a "gateway" drug to real pins is probably unlikely.

I could definitely see these becoming a "gateway" pin for the hobby. It's an affordable way to test the waters, yeah not everyone wants or has the cash for the real deal but I could definitely see these adding new people to our hobby. I've seen a lot of new interest for arcades lately and I wonder If Arcade1up helped with that.

#137 4 years ago

I have my doubts that virtual pins are some gateway to full size pins that cost 10x more that require a lot of maintenance. I see them as just another toy for those interested in arcade games but not full on pinheads. I'm not a big virtual pinball buy but these could be cool, especially if you can get them cheap. Problem is going to be the same as regular pins - space. Even at smaller size these are going to take up a decent amount of space.

#138 4 years ago

I tried the full sized professionally built virtual cabs on display at the York show. Hated them. I will absolutely play pinball on my controller with a computer or on my phone, but there is something about virtual cabs that doesn't feel right to me.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I've seen a lot of new interest for arcades lately and I wonder If Arcade1up helped with that.

I'd say the 1UPs are the result of the new interest in arcades, not vice versa.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

It's silly because they remove cleavage on figures that you'll never see during gameplay. And take away cigarettes and other things. But, on road show they also take out the ball falling on the construction worker for the shoot again animation. Really silly and stupid I agree.

Definitely would not buy anything for 500 bucks that was censored, or at least didn't have a toggle option. That's ludicrous. I never got around to checking out Zen's versions of the PA tables, because I find their physics a bit wonky for my liking (like the flippers are always massively overpowered, and the ball is made of lead, and anything rubber is just a dead stop.)...good to know there's absolutely no reason to now!

I don't mind if they only want to create 'family friendly' content, but at the point you're just copying other people's crap and reselling it....either do it right, or not at all.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I'd say the 1UPs are the result of the new interest in arcades, not vice versa.

All the twenty-somethings I work with are friggen FASCINATED with anything eighties. They love hearing my stories. Kinda cool actually.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Definitely would not buy anything for 500 bucks that was censored, or at least didn't have a toggle option. That's ludicrous. I never got around to checking out Zen's versions of the PA tables, because I find their physics a bit wonky for my liking (like the flippers are always massively overpowered, and the ball is made of lead, and anything rubber is just a dead stop.)...good to know there's absolutely no reason to now!
    I don't mind if they only want to create 'family friendly' content, but at the point you're just copying other people's crap and reselling it....either do it right, or not at all.

The problem comes with video game rating systems. Pinball didn't have to worry about ratings, but now that they are in video game form the programmers and publishers have to comply with video game rating standards. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

#143 4 years ago

Quoted from flynnibus:Copy page URL - Open new Incognito/Private tab, paste in URL - instant 'see all posts' feature

Thanks, boss. Really smart. Unlike me.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

The problem comes with video game rating systems. Pinball didn't have to worry about ratings, but now that they are in video game form the programmers and publishers have to comply with video game rating standards. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

IDGA single F. The only thing that MATTERS is *results* not reasons. Am I going to play a Cactus Canyon that all the guns have been removed from? Hell. No.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

IDGA single F. The only thing that MATTERS is *results* not reasons. Am I going to play a Cactus Canyon that all the guns have been removed from? Hell. No.

That is fair, and I don't know why the would have to remove the guns, they were included in The Pinball Arcade.

I'm with you and find it odd that they would have to remove anything, it seems like it would be more work than it is worth.

#146 4 years ago

Pinball Arcade didnt bring any new interest to Pinball...

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Pinball Arcade didn't bring any new interest to Pinball...

I was going to point out that at least half of the people here that joined in the last couple of years got their start playing pinball arcade.
    With that said anyone thinking these thing won't bring in new blood to the hobby is crazy.

#148 4 years ago

https://www.ign.com/articles/2020/01/06/arcade1up-introduces-online-enabled-nba-jam-cabinet-burger-time-special-edition-and-more

Stated in this article it says about Williams tables. If the AFM pictured is true I'll more then likely pic one up to give it a try.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

That is fair, and I don't know why the would have to remove the guns, they were included in The Pinball Arcade.
    I'm with you and find it odd that they would have to remove anything, it seems like it would be more work than it is worth.

I don't know if Zen would or not. That's not the point. I picked an easy censoring target, that's no less ridiculous than the things someone else said they HAVE censored. I'm not going to support a company that does that crap, so I can definitely say I'm out on all of the Arcade1UP 'pins' if the Williams one retains that.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I was going to point out that at least half of the people here that joined in the last couple of years got their start playing pinball arcade.

I agree...I don't know about half but I have read the same thing from at least a dozen or more people.

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.