(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 25.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

If 1up can commoditize virtual pinball for sub $1000 (I’m guessing $699) this will be incredible. The screenshot clearly shows it runs Zen with WiFi. So you can buy any zen table.
    This will be a must buy for sure. And no doubt people will mod the cabinet for improved displays etc...[quoted image]

If this is the case then this will be a must buy for me. Those games are what got me started on pinball. Been playing those titles for years and just purchased my 1st real pin about a month ago. Nothing can come close to the real thing.

#53 4 years ago

So $500 to $700.
    $500 would be a great price the way it is.
    At $700 I would want it to be just a tad bit bigger with 32" playfield screen.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And gone again, or link busted.

At least I got another screen grab. LOL

#57 4 years ago

It didn't say anything useful. Except that it's a joint project between Zen and 1up. Which likely means they are on top of making it a Zen platform, and the hardware should be good enough.

#58 4 years ago

If no lag, me wants!

#59 4 years ago

Remember Pinball FX is a Freemium game, so not exactly $700. Probably comes free with one table and you pay $10 to unlock sets of 3 titles, etc. like the PC version, hence the WiFi.

Nicer than ToyShock, but the scale... It looks like standard legs bolted on a shoe box!

Unfortunately, FX is mostly fantasy pins, and few B/W titles that we already had on TPA. ZEN Studios, PLEASE work on reproducing something we don't already have on TPA!!

#60 4 years ago

Def be interested in transferring the guts to a reg cab/larger monitor.

#61 4 years ago

I wonder if you can download non Zen/FX games.

#62 4 years ago

Maybe this connects to a cloud gaming service like the google Stadia or Xcloud, and you stream the game running on their server. That would keep the hardware price WAY down but the flipper lag would stink.

#63 4 years ago

This is kind of what I hoped the toyshock would be.... Toyshock was a hot mess... But, to be honest. Its fun at family gatherings and easy enough to lug around.
    This is something I wouldn't mind in my actual game room... Provided I can keep adding games to the cab... Which I think it could and with the Bally/Williams license.
    Could be cool... But, I'm a bit reticent. As Ian Hunter would say once bitten twice shy.

#64 4 years ago

Am I alone in thinking real pinball tables >>> Pinball FX tables >>> digital re-creations of real pinball tables? I guess what I am getting at is that the Pinball FX tables are good enough to make this a great product. I bought a VP Cabs Vertigo because I thought it was the best way to experience the awesome Pinball FX library. I don't play digital versions of real pins because they suck.

The make/break is flipper button lag. The Vertigo is great. If this can be as good as that, I'll feel like a fool paying $4000 for the Vertigo (more of a fool, though it is my wife's favorite).

#65 4 years ago

Zen has done a nice job with the Williams tables.... but whatever they do here I hope they do NOT copy the app freemium model... it is just a mess... get coins, get tickets... unlock stuff...... ugh. I guess it’s good if you like to going but the reality is zen on the Xbox is much cleaner. Tables look better as well. If they can get the guts of the Xbox one in this thing it will be really good.

Maybe have an option for shorter legs so it can be tabletop. It does look a bit strange.

#66 4 years ago

Just touched down in Vegas. I’ll get pics and gameplay of the games pretty excited for these games!

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Am I alone in thinking real pinball tables >>> Pinball FX tables >>> digital re-creations of real pinball tables?

Plenty of people enjoy their fantasy pins. I love their fantasy South Park and Butters pins, and bought a few others that were meh after a while, but my main focus is to get time on pins I don't own to learn them for competition prep. Just not enough time in the day for the rest.

#68 4 years ago

So toyshock has Farsight, 1up has Zen, is ATgames gonna use VPX?? Supposedly all three companies are gonna be showing their virtual pins at CES this upcoming week. 2020 is gonna be a good year for 3/4 scale virtual arcade fans/modders

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

So toyshock has Farsight, 1up has Zen, is ATgames gonna use VPX?? Supposedly all three companies are gonna be showing their virtual pins at CES this upcoming week. 2020 is gonna be a good year for 3/4 scale virtual arcade fans/modders

Wait...what?????

Didn't know about the Atgames rumor!

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Didn’t know about Atgames either.

#71 4 years ago

Personally I like the idea of choice. Just take the score displays for example. I still like the rack that Toy Shock has the old school displays. But they have would have to keep the games at classic level. They do need to up their games to reduce the lag though. I’d would rather have one game set for classic titles and another setup for DMD games.

#72 4 years ago

It's still virtual pinball and still just isn't anywhere close to the real thing. Sorry, but it's not even in the same universe.

I had a vertigo and liked it; but why take up a pin slot for this? Just play the Virtual Pinball on your PS4/Switch/PC/Xbox/Iphone, and leave the slot and the $$ to buy a real pin.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wait...what?????
    Didn't know about the Atgames rumor!

Can you explain? I've got someone blocked and no idea who it is. Already removed like 6 or 7 people from my block lists, I'm not about to go through the other 40 or so..lol. Need a temporary "show all posts " feature...

#74 4 years ago

I recently built a virtual mame/pin combo for my kids. I used a really low end AMD APU which was around $180 with motherboard and ram. the onboard GPU can easily run any of the williams titles at 1920x1200 at 60FPS with very little input lag. I'm using a zero delay usb encoder and sanwa buttons with a Freescale developer board with accelerometer for nudging.

If this is priced around $700 they should easily be able to get enough horsepower to run pinball fx3 bally/willliams titles smoothly and with near imperceptible input lag.

However, I'm guessing they are going to use an embedded android board like an ODROID to keep the cost low and for simplicity.

What is most important is going to be the type of display that they use. If they use an IPS panel with a matte finish, it's not going to look that great with diminished contrast and colors. I ended up removing the anti-reflecting layer of the monitor before installing it in my machine. Makes a huge difference.
    F52DA5AE-C76E-4D90-858B-9C9171731DF5 (resized).JPGF52DA5AE-C76E-4D90-858B-9C9171731DF5 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpgIMG_0138 (resized).jpg

#75 4 years ago

If this doesn't suck and we can mod it. I can see buying of of these and putting it in a bigger/non-cheap cabinet and a larger monitor.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

If this doesn't suck and we can mod it. I can see buying of of these and putting it in a bigger/non-cheap cabinet and a larger monitor.

True, I have an extra Williams cab laying around but don't want to go through all the hassle of learning how to build my own. If this plays good enough I would however try to swap it in my extra cab with larger monitors.

#77 4 years ago

Cheaper than a Stern SW topper!?

#78 4 years ago

With atgames history, I’d stay far away :/

#79 4 years ago

Here is a good video talking about what he was told by a Arcade1up rep. The WiFi is for updates not games. Each cab they come out with will have 10 games.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lithonion:

Here is a good video talking about what he was told by a Arcade1up rep. The WiFi is for updates not games. Each cab they come out with will have 10 games.

Which to me means not worth the money or the space in my collection. Only got the space for one vpin. And this has/had potential. We'll see what the future holds. But, really there is a lot of worrying issues about quality with ac1ups. They've gotten better, but I think for true pinheads its best to save your money. Get a fun beater pin and play the heck out of it.

#81 4 years ago

Anyone want a jump start on building a virtual pin? Here you go. On Facebook

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Which to me means not worth the money or the space in my collection. Only got the space for one vpin. And this has/had potential. We'll see what the future holds. But, really there is a lot of worrying issues about quality with ac1ups. They've gotten better, but I think for true pinheads its best to save your money. Get a fun beater pin and play the heck out of it.

The issue may be licensing related. If the manufacturer wants to put Star Wars artwork all over the cabinet then there may be a restriction for offering only non Star Wars (or Disney) games on it.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The issue may be licensing related. If the manufacturer wants to put Star Wars artwork all over the cabinet then there may be a restriction for offering only non Star Wars (or Disney) games on it.

Okay. But, finite space. But, then again lots of x-boxs with gears of war skins and other skins. So its the same concept.
    They would be wise to treat their vpin setup as a console.
    More money in software than hardware.
    And arcade1up is going to find since its easier to keep a customer than make a new one. That all their customers will be running out of space.
    I don't mind dedicated arcade cabs. Those are different from a vpin, they also take up less space. It makes more since for an arcade cab to be dedicated controls and buttons.
    Pinball, not so much. So this is just a huge doorstop.

#84 4 years ago

Booth is pretty early stages but I didn’t see a pin yet. However they have a ton of new games...

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Booth is pretty early stages but I didn’t see a pin yet. However they have a ton of new games...

Well, what are the new games? I’ve heard rumors of pole position, a shooter and possible track and field.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Well, what are the new games? I’ve heard rumors of pole position, a shooter and possible track and field.

Didn’t see any of that..

Two new four player, a couple unexpected, a new track ball, and a last year game they took feedback on and made the main game.

One of the four player is what a lot of people want... game list may be unexpected though.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Didn’t see any of that..
    Two new four player, a couple unexpected, a new track ball, and a last year game they took feedback on and made the main game.
    One of the four player is what a lot of people want... game list may be unexpected though.

I'd take a Tempest as the main game. With a vertical monitor and Tempest Tubes.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Upgraded the spinner on my Atari 12-in-1 and it made Tempest awesome. At least I was able to salvage it a year later with the new spinner, because the original one was horribad

I'd be stoked for a cool virtual pin that was affordable. I don't think I'd get a huge lineup, but one, mayyyyybe two if they were awesome. I did pickup the Arcade1up Star Wars which was surprisingly awesome, so I'm holding out hope they can do pinball right. Just a small amount of hope though

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Not temptest. Think food

#91 4 years ago

I would be happy with a bare bones model that allowed me to put in or connect my own Xbox One X console (which I have every Pinball FX, Pinball FX2 and Pinball FX3 game on). So what they would be selling me would basically just be the 3/4 scale pinball machine (shaped) controller and display to play my Xbox's Pinball FX with / on. I might be in on that for $300 to $500.

If it's only a small selection of games (which I am expecting), it's probably a pass for me.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I would be happy with a bare bones model that allowed me to put in or connect my own Xbox One X console (which I have every Pinball FX, Pinball FX2 and Pinball FX3 game on). So what they would be selling me would basically just be the 3/4 scale pinball machine (shaped) controller and display to play my Xbox's Pinball FX with / on. I might be in on that for $300 to $500.
    If it's only a small selection of games (which I am expecting), it's probably a pass for me.

It most certainly will be. Arcade1ups business mode is sell “packs” of similar titles in different cabinets on a regular release schedule. This machine most definitely wont be able to load additional titles without modding.

#93 4 years ago

10 PinballFX games for 500 bucks is not nearly enough, especially if they're all Star Wars tables. Ugh.

Time to hax0r!

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I sure these will get modded to do that...

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I sure these will get modded to do that...

Hmmmm. Maybe. I can't really see it happening without official support though. How would one get the Pinball FX programs running on the Xbox (or PlayStation) to spit out a split signal to different displays (for the playfield and DMD displays) or the cabinets nudging sensors to be detected without the Pinball FX program on the consoles being patched to support those things?

Will people mod these with PC type add-ons...yes. Will they be modded to work with any consoles....I doubt it. I think the consoles and the pinball programs for them are just to closed off and specialized for that without their official support.

#96 4 years ago

Bummed to see the direction this has taken.

So if one wants to build a fully equipped 3/4 pinball machine, it doesn’t seem like we have very good options at this point

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Well, I got chewed out by their VP for basically asking why wouldn't they offer the ability. I pointed out software is more lucrative than hardware. And I got accused of not knowing anything about business...

OKay... Maybe... But, I wouldn't insult people who buy your products.
    And I know something as I can actually afford to buy most of their products and have bought 8 of their cabs... Let alone numerous pinball machines... But, hey... What do I know.

If that is how they interact with someone... I might not purchase anything from them again... I probably will... But, if they can't take some online posts and just attack and lash out. WOW, how do they react when there is a real issue.

Edit... One last thing I do know. Easier to keep a client than to gain a new one. And if most peoples homes are more like mine. Then they're running out of space. So... You will have limited returns on the recurring customers, cos we're running out of room. But, sure.What do I know. So their business model... Going to need to change. Sure they'll expand. But, guess what. Most of the people who see my house. They like a few of things, but most do not want their house cluttered with mini cabs and pins. A few sure. But, most people just want streamlined normal entertainment areas. We're the freaks who like this stuff.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

WOW, how do they react when there is a real issue.

From what I see on Craigslist, there's no need to. There's about a billion parts for all models, at least in Dallas, available easily and cheaply for just about everything other than the Star Wars vector game, which is nowhere to be found around here lol....I was really hoping someone was going to unload one from christmas on the cheap...no luck so far.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This will 100% bring new blood into the hobby.

It will 100% turn people off to the hobby. Zero chance this isn't garbage.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shabazz18:

It will 100% turn people off to the hobby. Zero chance this isn't garbage.

I'm hoping one day one of these things won't be garbage.
    But, what I really would prefer. A commercial version of a vpin. Where its made for bars. I'd buy one for my home. Think about it. Put it in a bar. Less maintenance(less, crap breaks on computers and electronics too), and the ability for casual people to play potentially hundreds of games. You could even do a few modes of billing on it.
    Bill per game. Or by timed. If timed game you could allow the people to choose a different game and keep swapping until they ran out of time. When time ran out you could give them a grace period like, wait until their current ball drains.

The toyshock one was garbage. And the idea of having a vpin loaded with only 10 so so games taking up almost as much space as an actual cab... Yeah... I think I rather have a beater game instead of a vpin. even a beater would look better, and have as we in the hobby like to say kinetic satisfaction. Which all VPins lack.

I play a good deal of virtual pinball. But, for me the satisfaction comes from a slightly different place. I like dmd games because at least I can enjoy the animations, and I like to learn the rules, and complete the modes. But, I have never, ever completed a shot and been wowed by it. And that is something that I think you only can get with a real metal ball.

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/2?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.