(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.
    #1001 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Hi, sinlimo, welcome! You'll need the APKs for all three tables in addition to the v3.1 software... Let me know if you're unable to find them online, cheers and welcome aboard!

Thanks so much jonnyqtrek, most appreciated! I was able to find the three APK's (I just hope their current as the Williams update made White Water playable). Do you know if I put the APK's in the v3.1 folder it will be able to find them? When I ran the v3.1 initially it didn't even give me the option to go look for (and load)APK's.

#1002 2 years ago

So are any of the 1up pins moddable to accept the full range of Zen tables? I just stumbled on this thread and was considering it, but not strongly due to the limits on number of tables accessible, but it appears people smarter than I subverted this?

#1003 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Sorry, folks, forgot to follow up on these last night...
    Jon, maybe I'm misunderstanding... My recollection is that the APKs ARE the actual firmware files...? If memory serves, these were the files that A1Up had on their site, which basically were flashed onto the cabs to completely replace the existing firmware with the new version, i.e. they were the complete firmware and not just patches to the existing firmware, so you would use those APKs to flash back to stock.

Oh really? Awesome! Thank you very much!

#1004 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

So are any of the 1up pins moddable to accept the full range of Zen tables? I just stumbled on this thread and was considering it, but not strongly due to the limits on number of tables accessible, but it appears people smarter than I subverted this?

You can put the full range of android zen app tables on there, though apparently some don't work with the launcher (and I'm not sure if you can use the launch button instead?)

I bought a bunch of tables off of the android app and have them on my cab now. Its amazing!

#1005 2 years ago
    Quoted from sinlimo:

Thanks so much jonnyqtrek, most appreciated! I was able to find the three APK's (I just hope their current as the Williams update made White Water playable). Do you know if I put the APK's in the v3.1 folder it will be able to find them? When I ran the v3.1 initially it didn't even give me the option to go look for (and load)APK's.

Yes, you put the APKs in the same folder as 3.1 and it will find them automatically.

#1006 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonlondon:

Yes, you put the APKs in the same folder as 3.1 and it will find them automatically.

Wooot! It worked perfectly, thank you jonlondon!

#1007 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonlondon:

You can put the full range of android zen app tables on there, though apparently some don't work with the launcher (and I'm not sure if you can use the launch button instead?)
    I bought a bunch of tables off of the android app and have them on my cab now. Its amazing!

Can you point to the thread or instructions on how to do this? I have the Zen Android tables on my tablet and would love to get these into my cab. I do have the 21 additional tables installed.

#1008 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Can you point to the thread or instructions on how to do this? I have the Zen Android tables on my tablet and would love to get these into my cab. I do have the 21 additional tables installed.

This is a good starting point: https://www.team-encoder.com/node/7

...and there are also some nice walkthroughs on YouTube... Look for videos by Kongs-R-Us, he's got some nice ones, cheers and good luck!

#1009 2 years ago

Any update on the Pinball Arcade integration? If they get that going I am totally gonna get one of these.

#1010 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Any update on the Pinball Arcade integration? If they get that going I am totally gonna get one of these.

update (resized).jpgupdate (resized).jpg

This is the most recent update, cheers! Fingers crossed!

#1011 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

[quoted image]
    This is the most recent update, cheers! Fingers crossed!

Awesome!

#1012 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonlondon:

I'll start researching this immediately. Seems like only Star Wars, Marvel (II?), and RFM, are only ones available. Less concerned about aesthetics but any hardware concerns? Latest generation equally hackable?

Thanks for the advice!

Added over 2 years ago:

Addendum:
    Didn't expect the kids to want the Attack From Mars cabinet over Marvel/Star Wars! Tracking one down...

1 week later
    #1013 2 years ago

Trouble in A1PinnerV3.1 Paradise!

Hello there. New to the community and digital pinball. So excited to meet more knowledgeable fans. I have 1up Star Wars and love it...so much so I was trying to add more tables via A1Pinner3.1. I have the right usb cable reco'd by Mystery Encoder and downloaded the 3 APK files via a link from a well-known youtube vid on the topic.

Everything worked smooth until I tried to dump the apks onto my machine. the SWP.apk works and the menu is loaded on my 1up. But I cannot get the A1Pinner3.1 to recognize the WMS.apk and MVP.apk even though they are in the A1Pinner3.1 folder next to the successful SWP.apk. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I deleted everything on my laptop and tried again with same results. When I get to Step 3 to Dump the Tables, the Williams and Marvel dumps give me a "ERROR 550 Can't check for file existence" message...but the Star Wars apk dumps on no problem.

I do see a message pop up and vanish fast on the second step in A1Pinner3.1 but all seems to work otherwise. I have attached a screen grab of that error. Basically it says "Hash could not be confirmed."

No matter how easy the brilliant Mystery Encoder team has tried to make this for tech dummies like me, I still failed! Any thoughts here?

hasherror (resized).pnghasherror (resized).png
    #1014 2 years ago

Alrighty…so I’m a MacOS user but figured out how to run a PC in admin. All worked fine. Thank you Mystery Encoder team!

1 week later
    #1015 2 years ago

Before I post on FB Marketplace - anyone nearby looking for a modded (all 30 games) a1up? I have both Star Wars and Williams and would be happy to sell either one - I don't have any preference which goes and which stays. Just looking to get what I paid for it ($650, back before the price increase). Fees to pinside if sold, will put formal ad up if no immediate takers on here.

#1016 2 years ago

I have the star wars machine and just did the update. Everything went as I hoped and now I have all 30 tables. My one question is, is it normal for the Williams tables to have such bad flipper lag? I was looking forward to playing those but with that lag, they are difficult to play.

#1017 2 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I have the star wars machine and just did the update. Everything went as I hoped and now I have all 30 tables. My one question is, is it normal for the Williams tables to have such bad flipper lag? I was looking forward to playing those but with that lag, they are difficult to play.

No it's not...

That's odd. I'm assuming you used the most updated Williams APK and not the stock one for some reason, yes?

Are you getting lag on all of the Williams tables or mainly on White Water?

#1018 2 years ago

I saw they are releasing Indiana Jones for the Williams pinball app. Anyone hear if they are planning on doing a cabinet with Indiana Jones art? I would be a buyer of that one for sure, already have a spot in my basement picked out where a full sized machine doesn’t quite fit…

#1019 2 years ago

Pinball Tables are $599 at BestBuy under Daily Deals. This is a 24 hour sale. They have all 3 models.

#1020 2 years ago

I just discovered the arcade 1up pinball machines. I've been trying to read through this thread, it is my understanding I can purchase the SW one (I'm a big fan) and also load the Williams games? I own several physical machines but want a reasonably priced virtual for some variety. With minimal effort in doing PC/mod type work.

#1021 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

I just discovered the arcade 1up pinball machines. I've been trying to read through this thread, it is my understanding I can purchase the SW one (I'm a big fan) and also load the Williams games? I own several physical machines but want a reasonably priced virtual for some variety. With minimal effort in doing PC/mod type work.

Yes

#1022 2 years ago

Awesome, order placed at Best Buy, $470 with taxes..used up some rewards points!

#1023 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

No it's not...
    That's odd. I'm assuming you used the most updated Williams APK and not the stock one for some reason, yes?
    Are you getting lag on all of the Williams tables or mainly on White Water?

I realized it was because I converted to 1080p, when I rolled it back it was better, but not as good as Star Wars and Marvel. The lag is on all the Williams tables, not just White Water.

#1024 2 years ago

Am I wrong for replacing the stock plexi glass with plate glass instead of tempered glass? I think the tempered glass is overkill for that size and thickness of glass. No children with large heavy objects will come near it. It does make a difference in how it looks, it's one of those mods that is a no brainer. If you are like me and like to live dangerously, the plate glass cost me $20.

#1025 2 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I realized it was because I converted to 1080p, when I rolled it back it was better, but not as good as Star Wars and Marvel. The lag is on all the Williams tables, not just White Water.

Ahhhh 1080p, yes. That'll do it, apologies for not asking.

There are several other uses who went the non-temprered plate glass route as well, and they've reported no problems either, cheers!

#1026 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

You can load all three games tables for a total of 30 tables. Plus another 30 pr 40 tables not released through 1up.

#1027 2 years ago

https://deals.consolekits.com/

Here’s a webpage that scrubs the internet for Arcade1up deals. This was setup by a popular YouTuber.

#1028 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

Here is a link for you. You can fit a total of 97 tables on the game.
    https://www.team-encoder.com/A1Pinner?fbclid=IwAR2tXoAH6D656Xv7h30lBjAMgFXdvMlCtaQGHm8sdZj1tKMZpxgYdc9Ax3k

#1029 2 years ago

...97 in addition to the 30 A1up stock tables, yes? (Cheers!)

Man, my fingers are so very crossed for success with Mystery Encoder working on getting Pinball Arcade installed and working as well... It seems like, at last update, the stock hardware was a mighty limitation to this happening, but let's hope!

#1030 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

...97 in addition to the 30 A1up stock tables, yes? (Cheers!)
    Man, my fingers are so very crossed for success with Mystery Encoder working on getting Pinball Arcade installed and working as well... It seems like, at last update, the stock hardware was a mighty limitation to this happening, but let's hope!

97 total. That's including the 30.

#1031 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Perhaps I'm missing something...? I've got the 30 A1Up stocks, plus 30 of the Zen installed on mine, working fine... and there's still room on the card for more...?

#1032 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

My addled brain had me thinking 30 Williams + 30 Marvel + 30 SW, forgetting that the magic # of 30 was divided amongst the 3, and not 30 each. HEHEH Sorry about that... Long day...

#1033 2 years ago

Has anyone figured out how to add tables to the Toy Shock editions

#1034 2 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Has anyone figured out how to add tables to the Toy Shock editions

Looked into it, don't have a PCB... but think it should be possible.

#1035 2 years ago

When adding the additional pinball games to the arcade 1up can you use a Macbook? The A1Pinner doesn't seem to open with a macbook.

#1036 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

When adding the additional pinball games to the arcade 1up can you use a Macbook? The A1Pinner doesn't seem to open with a macbook.

Think it’s made for Windows but seen someone post a workaround for Mac on the Facebook group.

#1037 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Think it’s made for Windows but seen someone post a workaround for Mac on the Facebook group.

There was a version for OSX but that was 3.0, it's now suggested to use the windows version; unfortunately there were bugs in the v3.0 that aren't really going to work out for OSX users so it's not advertised on the site now.

Eventually, we'll push a V4.0 OSX version after V4.0 drops.

#1038 2 years ago

could someone shoot me the link for the discontinued tables please?
    Thanks!

#1039 2 years ago
    Quoted from MysteryEncoder:

There was a version for OSX but that was 3.0, it's now suggested to use the windows version; unfortunately there were bugs in the v3.0 that aren't really going to work out for OSX users so it's not advertised on the site now.
    Eventually, we'll push a V4.0 OSX version after V4.0 drops.

Welcome to Pinside MysteryEncoder. You've done great work with these.

#1040 2 years ago

I really want to grab one of these, but I'm super sensitive to flipper lag. How bad is it on these?

#1041 2 years ago

I’m not here to shit in anyone’s cereal or be “Mr. Negative”, but these really are marketed to the naive. I could write a whole essay on how KMart these machines are.

Anyway. I made a video a few weeks ago…again, I’m not here to be a downer, rather to express to people “you can really do much much better”. As far as a cabinet if you go purpose over fashion, you’ll be much more pleased.

#1042 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

I really want to grab one of these, but I'm super sensitive to flipper lag. How bad is it on these?

It's very bad - I had mine for a few months and sold it.

Very unfortunate as the cabinet itself is beautiful. They should have charged $100 more and put a decent PCB in there to run the games properly.

#1043 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darkstar1234:

I’m not here to shit in anyone’s cereal or be “Mr. Negative”, but these really are marketed to the naive. I could write a whole essay on how KMart these machines are.
    Anyway. I made a video a few weeks ago…again, I’m not here to be a downer, rather to express to people “you can really do much much better”. As far as a cabinet if you go purpose over fashion, you’ll be much more pleased.

There are a few things wrong with your video.

First, Stating that people are profiting off of work people are doing for free; You show an Arcade1up cabinet while saying this which is completely inaccurate, they paid for licensing and Zen legally owns the licenses to those tables and developed the games. Sure other pre-built vpin might be doing this but that's not the case for the thread you've decided to post this video in. I wouldn't consider it to be "A complete rip off" it's like saying because you can build a Pi with a thousand roms an officially licensed cab is a complete rip-off because it costs a bit more. In fact, there are ethical issues with the "free" tables people are creating due to the fact it's based on licensed IP and it's amazing that the IP holders haven't stepped in and gotten angry in any way about it, the more attention this hobby gets the more likely it is to happen despite the already "forbidden" tables.

Second, Not everyone wants to build their own and learn about VP X/etc. Some people just want to play and are willing to pay for the convenience of doing so. In my opinion, going with a build-it route vs buying an Arcade1up is more expensive not just monetarily but time-wise I'd have to spend just getting solenoids working, getting button encoders, doing all of those things that are not only already done for me but also all already integrated.

This is why I choose to modify it in the way I did and keeping with the principle of making things as easy as possible to do it, because there shouldn't be a barrier for entry where you have to learn every little thing and have an electrical engineering degree just to get some feedback going (overexaggerating there) but that's how intimidating it is for some people.

You say they're marketed to the naive, you are the naive. There's a market for these for people like me, I absolutely have the talent to build one and even improve upon the interface for ease of use purposes but I'll still take the A1up over putting the effort into it because the screen was already chosen for me, the feedback was already implemented for me, the DMD was already put in for me, the wood was already cut, the graphics were already applied, most of all the software is commercially built specifically for it and works great.

Your feedback wasn't asked for and propping crap up with a diarrhea medication isn't how I want my cab to look when people come over and play with me.

Quoted from kool1:

It's very bad - I had mine for a few months and sold it.
    Very unfortunate as the cabinet itself is beautiful. They should have charged $100 more and put a decent PCB in there to run the games properly.

If you're referring to AFM(Williams Tables) then yeah, they weren't great in the beginning supposedly the firmware update corrected some of it. However, I don't really play those so I'm not 100% sure.

I've really enjoyed my table, and with what I've done with it I enjoy it even more as do my kids. To each their own, if you want a 'professional' vpin experience build like the guy above said, if you're just looking for something quick and entry-level to get your feet wet it does its job and it's fun to play with the kids and family.

Unless you're trying to run 1080p on Williams I don't notice a ton of flipper latency, though I'm biased because this is my first VPIN and I never played a lot of Pinball prior to this. I will say it was much more responsive than the toyshock.

Quoted from arcademojo:

Welcome to Pinside MysteryEncoder. You've done great work with these.

Glad to be here, just wanted to comment on someone asking about Toyshock; thanks.

#1044 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

I'd have to say that on Williams games it's REALLY bad for the most part and flipper lag making those games unplayable is the reason I'm selling one of my 2 A1up's (I have one at work that will stay because it's just a fun quick distraction). The Marvel/SW games are really pretty good. There's still lag, but they're fun and definitely playable.

If, like me (at home), your thought was to have a way to kind of play a few Williams games you don't have at home, you'll be pretty disappointed. If, on the other hand, like me (at work) you just want to have some fun with the SW/Marvel/Zen games and separate the experience from physical pinball, I think you'll find it worth the cost.

#1045 2 years ago

If you're referring to AFM(Williams Tables) then yeah, they weren't great in the beginning supposedly the firmware update corrected some of it. However, I don't really play those so I'm not 100% sure.
    I've really enjoyed my table, and with what I've done with it I enjoy it even more as do my kids. To each their own, if you want a 'professional' vpin experience build like the guy above said, if you're just looking for something quick and entry-level to get your feet wet it does its job and it's fun to play with the kids and family.
    Unless you're trying to run 1080p on Williams I don't notice a ton of flipper latency, though I'm biased because this is my first VPIN and I never played a lot of Pinball prior to this. I will say it was much more responsive than the toyshock.

I am referring to the AFM-Williams yes, I was not interested in digital Star Wars or Marvel games.

If you don't play real pinball or good vpin, it's probably fine for a casual player. That said, these same games play so much better on even a basic PC with Steam it's hard to recommend these machines. Believe me, I talked myself into buying one and I regretted it almost immediately.

#1046 2 years ago
    Quoted from jdroc:

I'd have to say that on Williams games it's REALLY bad for the most part and flipper lag making those games unplayable is the reason I'm selling one of my 2 A1up's (I have one at work that will stay because it's just a fun quick distraction). The Marvel/SW games are really pretty good. There's still lag, but they're fun and definitely playable.
    If, like me (at home), your thought was to have a way to kind of play a few Williams games you don't have at home, you'll be pretty disappointed. If, on the other hand, like me (at work) you just want to have some fun with the SW/Marvel/Zen games and separate the experience from physical pinball, I think you'll find it worth the cost.

I think these tables are very much intended for the casual player, but I am curious if you updated Williams and still saw the same latency?

Quoted from kool1:

I am referring to the AFM-Williams yes, I was not interested in digital Star Wars or Marvel games.
    If you don't play real pinball or good vpin, it's probably fine for a casual player. That said, these same games play so much better on even a basic PC with Steam it's hard to recommend these machines. Believe me, I talked myself into buying one and I regretted it almost immediately.

That's unfortunate, do you believe the latency is due to the switches behind the buttons themselves or the actual software? I'm only asking because the software is pretty instantaneous in terms of the response so the only other things I can think of are the switches behind the buttons, or the refresh rate of the screen causing an issue. As a lot of people are used to a much faster refresh rate when it comes to PC gaming or even standard T.V. viewing these days and it's not impossible for there to be input latency between the time you press a button and see the action in the game.

Have you updated your AFM-Williams tables to the updated version they released and still noticed it was bad? In testing PBA I've thought there's some flipper latency.... but again I feel the same latency applied to Williams tables and thought that's just kinda how those operated.

I think part of my issue is I really have nothing to compare it to, so I just figure whatever I get is what I should expect in terms of flipper latency.

#1047 2 years ago

I think these tables are very much intended for the casual player, but I am curious if you updated Williams and still saw the same latency?

That's unfortunate, do you believe the latency is due to the switches behind the buttons themselves or the actual software? I'm only asking because the software is pretty instantaneous in terms of the response so the only other things I can think of are the switches behind the buttons, or the refresh rate of the screen causing an issue. As a lot of people are used to a much faster refresh rate when it comes to PC gaming or even standard T.V. viewing these days and it's not impossible for there to be input latency between the time you press a button and see the action in the game.
    Have you updated your AFM-Williams tables to the updated version they released and still noticed it was bad? In testing PBA I've thought there's some flipper latency.... but again I feel the same latency applied to Williams tables and thought that's just kinda how those operated.
    I think part of my issue is I really have nothing to compare it to, so I just figure whatever I get is what I should expect in terms of flipper latency.

I think it's a combination of software and hardware. Hardware is barely adequate but I understand the update made it better.

Still - if you play a lot of real pinball, you will hate this, I guarantee it.

#1048 2 years ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I think it's a combination of software and hardware. Hardware is barely adequate but I understand the update made it better.
    Still - if you play a lot of real pinball, you will hate this, I guarantee it.

I have played a bit of real pinball, but again; I'm not into the "simulation" tables I prefer the arcadey ones where I don't feel that same latency (Starwars, Marvel or the Zen Tables) lol.

Do you notice the same flipper lag/latency on Starwars/Marvel stock tables or only on the Williams ones?

Also, "Hardware is barely adequate" in terms of RAM (1GB) shared between CPU/GPU yeah they could've done better and at a minimum gone 2GB there but with the stripped-down android eco system, it can still perform decently well. With it driving two displays they should've gone higher and possibly with a better rockchip SoC.

But for what their goals were (720p, driving dual displays) I think the hardware is fairly adequate it's a decent processor, the issue is the game is poorly optimized in my personal opinion (Game developers suck at optimization) but not only that the Android eco system has a ton of bloat in it that really doesn't need to be there they could've avoided just running a Linux distro and having Zen port the app to Linux despite the development cost being higher.

#1049 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

So, the stock firmware had significant lag on Whitewater, but the other Williams table were fine, at least for a casual player. Updating to the newest firmware resolved the lag issues on Whitewater. As to the other tables, I never really noticed initial lag, so it's possible that it's even less laggy now than it was when I got it.

That being said, I think it's definitely a question of your own sensitivity. If you're super-sensitive, as you describe, this may not be for you.

Do I regret buying it? Speaking only for myself, no, not for an instant. I went in knowing that this was an entry-level machine, and at the price point I paid I couldn't have been happier. And then with MysteryEncoder basically blowing open the capabilities of the limited hardware on his time and sharing it with others, I have absoLUTEly no regrets.

In fact, SINCE getting this machine, I've now started learning VPX and have been configuring VPVR, but (again, speaking for myself) I don't know that I would have gone down this road without the entry-level machine as kind of a gateway lure, which my kids and I love playing on. Is it for everyone? No, but there's still a pretty happy community that's still pleased that we have it. Physical Pin -> A1Up -> desktop VPX -> VPVR... maybe a DIY second VPin will still be down the road for me.

And btw, for those who have a modded A1Up, feel free to jump into our scoring group for some fun and friendly "competition": https://www.facebook.com/groups/579686043114109

Thanks, all!

#1050 2 years ago

...oh, and for fellow modding owners, this glimpse was posted a day or three ago. Cheers and thanks for the efforts, M.E...!

Screenshot_20220131-074236_Discord (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-074236_Discord (resized).jpg

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.