(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 25.
    #901 2 years ago

Nice, did manage to install some purchased Zen tables thanks to that tutorial, didn't even think to check the media manager in bluestacks, d'oh.

Works pretty well, only installed a handful of tables, and only tried Doom and Jurassic World. Doom has noticeable flipper lag in 1080p, plays fine in 720p. Jurassic World seems to play fine in 1080p. So you have to get real used to setting switching.

And because the table files are so small, a lot under 30mb(some as much as 50mb), you should be able to install almost everything you would want since there's 1-2 gigs of free space you have to work with after installing the 30 table mod.

There is also, surprisingly, solenoid support, but no nudging.

I am amazed this guy actually managed to do this, I thought I would have to do an expensive mod to accomplish the same.

#902 2 years ago

How to all the tables look when you first boot up the machine. Do they just appears as more icons next to the other 1UP packages?

#903 2 years ago
    Quoted from STLOkie:

How to all the tables look when you first boot up the machine. Do they just appears as more icons next to the other 1UP packages?

You basically get four options, the first three take you to the Star Wars, Marvel, and Williams tables that originally came with each physical machine, the last takes you to the Zen games. When you click on it you go to a menu that looks like what Zen Pinball looks on your phone, since that's basically what you have, the android version of Zen Pinball on your 1up cab. You can't buy stuff directly from there though, you need to install bluestacks on your pc(which is a android emulator) to download zen, purchase the tables, then convert them. The menu navigation for the Zen tables isn't ideal, but it is what it is.

Also worth noting is the plunger doesn't work and the DMD is not on the backglass, it's on larger display, for the "Secret" Zen tables.

#904 2 years ago

Actually on further playing there is plunger support, but that and the solenoids seem inconsistent in 1080p mode. It looks like you want to play the tables in 720p mode. Honestly, it's obvious these tables are scaled down for a good reason, I might leave it at 720p for everything at this point as it's not worth the headache.

#905 2 years ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Actually on further playing there is plunger support, but that and the solenoids seem inconsistent in 1080p mode. It looks like you want to play the tables in 720p mode. Honestly, it's obvious these tables are scaled down for a good reason, I might leave it at 720p for everything at this point as it's not worth the headache.

Not having tried it yet myself, I was relieved to read that we can install but opt to continue in 720p... for no other reason than any concerns over response-time issues, cheers...

#906 2 years ago

Glad I've been procrastinating on doing this but I'm not looking forward to having to drag my PC down the basement to do it.

#907 2 years ago

Just brought my machine back from my rental home today and finished using this new installer. Awesomely easy! While the Zen addition is great, I'm betting that there will be a few more updates, such as moving the DMD off the pf and onto the upper screen. So, if moving a cpu next to your pin is going to be a major pain, you may want to hold off just a bit longer to see what updates may come.

Of the Star Wars and Marvel tables I've played, they all play really smooth! The Williams update makes the problematic games much more playable, but AFM and MM are still much more polished and responsive than WH20 and NGG, which seem to still have some minor lag and choppiness.

My major gripe still exists, though, with that insanely annoying flipper-to-rest sound. Aside from this, I see this machine staying at my house for a while now.

Thanks to everyone who made this happen as well as those on Pinside who have been keeping us all up-to-date!

#908 2 years ago

Why bring your cpu to the pin when your pin can come to the cpu!

FE79261A-BE96-40C2-A031-01E93DEB662E (resized).jpegFE79261A-BE96-40C2-A031-01E93DEB662E (resized).jpeg
    #909 2 years ago

Okay, after two hours I finished added 15 tables. outSTANDing. Totally worth it.

I had used the V1 install previously. I found that when I tried to go from V1 to v3 using the original laptop that I used for V1 installation, there was some sort of driver issue, and things fell apart.

I tried using a different laptop, started from scratch and then it worked very smoothly.

I'm going full 720 at this point. It looks good enough for the amount of money I spent on it, and I agree with stubborngamer in that several of the games don't handle 1080p well. I tried 1080p for all of 90 seconds before I set it on 720 for good.

For the Zen tables, I haven't been able to get the plunger to work at all... I'd be curious to hear which tables you were able to get it to work on, even if only intermittently? (That being said, the lack of plunger in this zen build is far, far from a deal breaker.)

#910 2 years ago

Yeah I went a little nuts and threw close to 20 tables in there, partially because I didn't want to keep re-adding, partially incase they do some sort of update one day that makes the bought tables not work. Helps that the android tables are so much cheaper than most other versions of the games.

As mentioned before I had issues where the plunger, and solenoids didn't work, but since I switched back to 720p it seems to work almost all the time. I think maybe once on Jurassic World the plunger didn't work. It's finicky though, since the tables weren't built for the machine, on Infinity Quest every multiball was laggy for instance.

Having said that, I haven't really played it really that much, some of the tables I bought I didn't touch, in general I'd say most things plays great, but everything doesn't play flawlessly.

#911 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Okay, after two hours I finished added 15 tables. outSTANDing. Totally worth it.
    I had used the V1 install previously. I found that when I tried to go from V1 to v3 using the original laptop that I used for V1 installation, there was some sort of driver issue, and things fell apart.
    I tried using a different laptop, started from scratch and then it worked very smoothly.
    I'm going full 720 at this point. It looks good enough for the amount of money I spent on it, and I agree with stubborngamer in that several of the games don't handle 1080p well. I tried 1080p for all of 90 seconds before I set it on 720 for good.
    For the Zen tables, I haven't been able to get the plunger to work at all... I'd be curious to hear which tables you were able to get it to work on, even if only intermittently? (That being said, the lack of plunger in this zen build is far, far from a deal breaker.)

I have about 15 zen tables and all function with the plunger, however, it can get glitchy from time to time (such as a slight pull immediately activates and ejects a full plunge). Did you set up the .cfg file for each table, as I know this enables some solenoid action, but maybe the plunger as well?

#912 2 years ago

So, I put a lot of time on the machine last night and am now a huge fan of A1Up's SW and Marvel stock tables. From what all I played, they play smooth and responsive, with only the slightest of flipper lag. I think if I had purchased one of these tables initially, it wouldn't have left me with such a bad taste as did the Williams package.

Goings back to the William's package, there's still some tables that struggle, The Getaway was the most notable for me, where it's pretty laggy (even with all special visual settings turned off). The plunger issue also still exists on TOTAN, where it's way too powerful for that skill shot (I also found that those skill shot targets don't always award the shot when made). NGG and WH20 play much better now, but NGG still has some odd ball movements from time to time. As a whole package, though, these tables are much less polished in comparison to the other A1Up packages, and I hope they get more refinement with future updates (although, I'm doubtful that will happen due to A1Up's track record with continual updates). Regardless, each table is now playable, for the most part, so thanks to A1Up for making that happen!

As for the "secret" Zen tables, this is an awesome addition. It is still buggy, occasionally crashes, and navigating the menus takes time to get used to, but this is off to a great start. Looking forward to what's to come on this!

As for my gripe about that dang flipper-to-rest sound, now that I've spent much more time tweaking settings, I've upped the music and sfx volume which now drowns out that annoying sound, yet ball colliding sounds and other important physics effects can still be heard prominently.

#913 2 years ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

Did you set up the .cfg file for each table, as I know this enables some solenoid action, but maybe the plunger as well?

I did the setup only in that I copied the stock CIT.cfg multiple times and renamed them to the short name and installed... I didn't actually modify any of the values within. (Is that something I should look into?) The solenoids seem to work fine, but the plunger so far only worked inconsistently in Family Guy, though to be fair, I didn't test all of the Zen tables extensively... Cheers!

#914 2 years ago

That cfg file only controls the solenoids. Might be some issue having to do with how much cpu the individual tables need, or maybe certain tables just are coded differently and are buggy because the baller installer didn't account for something. I think when jurassic world's plunger didn't work the modes weren't triggering. Maybe the space we are using for the tables needs to he used for other things. Don't have answers just speculation.

#915 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I did the setup only in that I copied the stock CIT.cfg multiple times and renamed them to the short name and installed... I didn't actually modify any of the values within. (Is that something I should look into?) The solenoids seem to work fine, but the plunger so far only worked inconsistently in Family Guy, though to be fair, I didn't test all of the Zen tables extensively... Cheers!

That’s the extent of what I did, and I’m assuming you’ve booted the zen front-end more than once? I had some issues with several front-ends on first boot, which cleared up when restarted. If your issue persists, you can always dump your scores and try a fresh load.

#916 2 years ago

Just read this on another site.
    "The removed tables from OLD VERSIONs of zen pinball still work, if you were LUCKY enough to have them. Just have to use mysterencoders PATCHER."

#917 2 years ago
    #918 2 years ago

Which Micro USB cable do we need to plug into the PCB as I just tried ten different micro usb cables I have and none of them fit in there and I'm about ready to smash something? No idea how none of mine will fit. Can someone send me a link to exactly what you use? Thanks.

#919 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deyanks98:

Which Micro USB cable do we need to plug into the PCB as I just tried ten different micro usb cables I have and none of them fit in there and I'm about ready to smash something? No idea how none of mine will fit. Can someone send me a link to exactly what you use? Thanks.

I had to bend my front housing down. If you have a short tip microusb cord it wouldn't seat correctly. Once I bent down the front lip it seemed to plug in and seat better.

#921 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jon9508:

I had to bend my front housing down. If you have a short tip microusb cord it wouldn't seat correctly. Once I bent down the front lip it seemed to plug in and seat better.

Thanks I was looking at that and I probably have to do the same with mine.

#922 2 years ago

Heh, those cfg files are just the equivalent of copying the same file and renaming.

The micro usb doesn't go in as easily as you'd like, but usually just takes some jimmying to get it in. I didn't have to bend anything.

#923 2 years ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Heh, those cfg files are just the equivalent of copying the same file and renaming.
    The micro usb doesn't go in as easily as you'd like, but usually just takes some jimmying to get it in. I didn't have to bend anything.

Could you post a picture in here of the cable you use so I can verify the end is the same as what I'm using? Thanks.

#924 2 years ago

The Onn brand 6 footer from Wal Mart worked fine for me. It was around $5-$6.

#925 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deyanks98:

Could you post a picture in here of the cable you use so I can verify the end is the same as what I'm using? Thanks.

I am not at home right now but what I post wouldn't look much different than what you see in a google search. Maybe you are using a usb c, which new android phones use, which wouldn't fit, I have a bunch of mini usb from when that was more the norm for phones. Mini usb should be a standard size. And as I said, it doesn't easily slide in, it takes some doing. And the shorter side should be facing up.

#926 2 years ago

It's micro-USB, not mini-, no? Micro is the trapezoid, Mini is the top hat?

#927 2 years ago

Micro on right (resized).pngMicro on right (resized).png

I think you need the connector on the right.

#928 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

[quoted image]
    I think you need the connector on the right.

Yes agreed and that’s what I’ve been using. Maybe I just need to give it some more force then I have been. I’ll try it again when I get home from work.

#929 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deyanks98:

Yes agreed and that’s what I’ve been using. Maybe I just need to give it some more force then I have been. I’ll try it again when I get home from work.

Mine was a bitch to get in as well, just take your time, don't need to be breaking something trying to jam it in.

#930 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Mine was a bitch to get in as well, just take your time, don't need to be breaking something trying to jam it in.

I bought a new cable and everything worked like a charm.

#931 2 years ago

Question when we switvh to 1080P if we power the pin off does it then go back to 720P when it boots up next time? Also what tables do you guys recommend out of the Star Wars and Marvel ones?

#932 2 years ago

Oh sorry, not sure why I said mini usb.

Looks like Jurassic World just plain has a not working plunger, even though Jurassic Mayhem does, as I said, there's bound to be some weirdness.

Quoted from Deyanks98:

Question when we switvh to 1080P if we power the pin off does it then go back to 720P when it boots up next time? Also what tables do you guys recommend out of the Star Wars and Marvel ones?

It remembers all the settings, high scores, views you may have accidentally switched to in the secret tables, etc.

I think Star Wars Starfighter is the best Star Wars table.

For Marvel, Infinity Quest is great, though I did encounter laggy multiballs, though it's possible I was playing in 1080p when it lagged and I didn't realize.

Deadpool is fun, World War Hulk is cool even though I hate the mini playfield.

#933 2 years ago

I'll be getting the Bethesda pack. DOOM is pretty bad ass.

#934 2 years ago

I really hope mystery encoder finds a way to get the Williams Pinball (zen) app installed as a second secret table... Would be nice to get those last few Williams on here too...

#935 2 years ago

If anyone is looking for all of the extra tables. The packs are out there in the wild.

#936 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jon9508:

If anyone is looking for all of the extra tables. The packs are out there in the wild.

Ended up re-buying them. Gotta support the devs/Zen Studios. The tables are cheaper than my daily take away coffee.

#937 2 years ago

Yes I am happy to buy every table I can buy, the discontinued tables on the other hand like maybe the best table of them all that soccer table on the other hand.

#938 2 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Ended up re-buying them. Gotta support the devs/Zen Studios. The tables are cheaper than my daily take away coffee.

Same here... And like stubborngamer still trying to find those discontinued ones The hunt continues!

btw, did you see that Bee Kong is interviewing the purported mystery encoder tonight? Livestream.

#939 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Same here... And like stubborngamer still trying to find those discontinued ones The hunt continues!
    btw, did you see that Bee Kong is interviewing the purported mystery encoder tonight? Livestream.

Link sent for discontinued tables.

#940 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jon9508:

Many, kind thanks!

#941 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jon9508:

Can I get that link also? Thanks

#942 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Link actually died... Mediafire took it down. Jon9508 Thanks for trying, though!

#943 2 years ago

Lot of info in the interview about 1 hr in... (Still ongoing at time of post)

1) Solenoid improvements are first to come up.
    2) DMD functionality being worked on.
    3) Addl 1.4 Gb of space on the PCB that could potentially be accessed in the future
    4) Williams: maybe? Would make a new front end rather than incorporate the app wholesale because of the microtransaction system in that app.

Priorities:
    1) Solenoids, 2) DMD functionality, 3) Pinball Arcade

#944 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm listening to that, getting Pinball Arcade and more Williams is incredible(seems like something he's sure he can do), while freeing up the space so that you don't have to delete things. I bought this when I heard about the 30 table mod, and was happy with my purchase, assumed that getting any more tables would involve a complicated mod. Now it's just getting ridiculous with how great these tables are turning into without having to do a costly mod.

#945 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Sending shortly, check your messages (with thanks this round to a Joseph H)

#946 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Sending shortly, check your messages (with thanks this round to a Joseph H)

Could I grab that link as well for the discontinued tables? Looking for Plants Vs Zombies.

On a different note, after a ton of playing around and testing, I found that the zen upgrade made my G-sensor ghost-nudges much more prominent on Williams tables (and attributes to why I believed NGG was still playing bad). Oddly, SW and Marvel weren't effected at all. Anyways, for those concerned about switching back to a stock setup, this can be done with ease when using A1Up's update file. I had to switch back so I could access the test menu so I could see how my G-sensor was responding when idle, where every few seconds it would light red for a micro-second, indicating my accelerometer is going bad.

#947 2 years ago

Sending shortly, LilRocky !

btw, perhaps I'm switching functions in my mind, but is calibration of the accelerometer one of the functions in the settings? Could this alleviate/mitigate the issue at hand?

#948 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Sending shortly, LilRocky !
    btw, perhaps I'm switching functions in my mind, but is calibration of the accelerometer one of the functions in the settings? Could this alleviate/mitigate the issue at hand?

I greatly appreciate the link!

So the adjustment from the quick menu that's included in the new update doesn't allow calibration, but allows a sensitivity adjustment. I tried messing with this and it did help if I dropped the sensitivity really low, but then you had to slam the machine if you wanted to intentionally nudge it. I was aware of the issue when I first purchased the machine back in May, but was so pissed about the coding issues when speaking with A1Up, that I forgot to follow up with the nudging problem and just put it in a rental home and forgot about it. Now that I got the machine back and have been putting a lot of time on it, the ghost-nudging makes some games awfully unplayable. A1Up's awesome customer service has gotten back to me about this issue, though, so anyone experiencing nudging problems should definitely reach out to their customer service department.

#949 2 years ago

If a little birdy could point me the way to the Street Fighter pin it would be appreciated. Have soccer and the South Park pins already. I think that's the last one where I'd feel "done" until mr mystery gets us access to more tables.

Haven't noticed much ghost nudging, though I don't play the Williams tables much, not because I don't love real pinball, but I played all those tables to death when Pinball Arcade still had the licenses. Now having said that, the nudging in this game is ridiculous, some impossible saves, and a fair amount of clipping.

#950 2 years ago

I actually experienced it quite a bit on Williams... The ball would be sitting on the flipper, then I'd hear what sounded like a construction vehicle shifting gears, and the ball would hop around on the flipper like a pat of cold butter on a hot stove. Took a while to figure out that ghost nudging was what was happening. At this point, I've just decided to convince myself that the ball is sentient and gets bored staying still.

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.