(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,214 posts
  • 220 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20231101_122144_Gallery (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    80CCE496-6D56-428A-A246-AED60ADE2672 (resized).jpeg
    4B6DA679-317D-4218-92B8-0E52DCA82A5A (resized).jpeg
    50A25EF2-1BE7-42B6-9AAE-378466156326 (resized).jpeg
    SmartSelectImage_2022-07-12-01-18-34 (resized).png
    20220602_232413 (resized).jpg
    20220531_223029 (resized).jpg
    20220531_222612 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231559 (resized).jpg
    20220530_231303 (resized).jpg
    20220530_214951 (resized).jpg
    zendmd (resized).png
    settings (resized).jpg
    PINBALLARcade (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 25.
    #701 2 years ago

Hmmm...

6A66087A-39F1-4D38-AB78-016AD53C4975 (resized).png6A66087A-39F1-4D38-AB78-016AD53C4975 (resized).png
    #702 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Why on earth would anyone pay 600 for a laggy virtual pin? Just because it’s in a mini cab? You could play smoother vp on a pc or game system if you’re not willing to shell out the cash for a real vp. To each his or her own I guess.

Because it is cheaper than most toppers.

Seriously, if they are able to improve the lag - this thing is a bargain. Once they are gone... they will likely be gone. Who knows if A1Up will do another run.

#703 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Because it is cheaper than most toppers.
    Seriously, if they are able to improve the lag - this thing is a bargain. Once they are gone... they will likely be gone. Who knows if A1Up will do another run.

I get trying to find a bargain, especially in today’s inflated market. However, cheap is cheap and it’s laggy due to not having enough hp. So you’re paying for a mini vp cab that you will probably have to mod and spend more money on.

#704 2 years ago

Available again at Best Buy...........Joey

#705 2 years ago

if your serious with the virtual pinball hobby then the AtGames Pinball is the best for the money. so many options with AtGames then the A1up. I have a custom built Virtual machine .if I was going to purchase a A1Up it would only be a Show Piece and not for playing. or a good starter machine for kids. Star Wars is Nice . the Attack from Mars is Meh and overrated. virtual Pin can be price costly if you build or have one built. for the money AtGames is on the right path. Iam holding off to get a AtGames pinball . hoping they come out with a more updated machine with DMD and bigger screens . built in PC.. I know the cost would be up there . I would shell out $2,000 if they came out with something great! playing VPX tables is so great. the physics are just as good as to the real machines..

#706 2 years ago

I spent a little time playing both my Arcade 1up Marvel and Attack From Mars games side by side tonight. From a depth standpoint and gameplay standpoint, the Marvel games trump the Williams games on the AFM. Marvel has less lag, smoother animation, deeper rule sets, and it definitely benefits from all of its games being designed as digital games. The AFM game is fun but as a few of us have mentioned before, Whitewater is unplayable. I emailed A1up about it and there response was to turn off ball trails and added animations. I did both and it’s still unplayable. The rest of the games play well with just a touch of lag but they are easy enough to adapt to. Zen and A1up did the best they could recreating the classic Williams games to a 2D screen and keeping things to a budget but it takes a minute to get used real games that have depth being displayed on a flat plane.

All in all I don’t regret either purchase. They don’t hold a candle to my Metallica Pro but I can’t afford a real MM or AFM so having them both on a digital platform is pretty cool. Is there room for improvement, sure. Is $600 a decent price for these? You bet.

#707 2 years ago

Just found out these exist when I saw an AFM on FB marketplace. They still have lag? I’m out.

Buying a pinball game with flipper lag would be like buying a Big Buck Hunter with trigger lag. No fun.

#708 2 years ago

I borrowed Arcademojo's photo to show the difference between what you see on the AFM 1UP vs. what you see in VP (desktop version here but cabinet looks the same except for backglass & DMD moved to proper screens). AFM 1UP on left, VPX on the right. I much prefer the VP graphics.

That being said, $600 is a bargain for a pinball simulator in a cabinet with some force feedback. A DIY VP system is north of $2K, and more like $3k with bells and whistles. Not to mention the time investment.

The 1UP is great for the price and the time savings.

side by side (resized).JPGside by side (resized).JPG

#709 2 years ago

I am surprised people like the Star Wars version, as the tables seemed terrible when I played them on my phone. Zen has a bad habit of making you have to spell really long words. After considering the 1up pinball tables, bad reviews convinced me to get the Quest 2. Which has VR pinball tables and a LOT more cool experiences. This from a 1 REAL pinball owner. I will get another real pinball machine at some point, but I have a very small basement.

#710 2 years ago

The Darth Vader game is a blast...maybe no pinball is fun when on a phone...?

#711 2 years ago

I set my AFM up today. I don't regret my purchase. It fits in the smallest space I had left in my tiny arcade room and it goes with my pins theme wise. I also like having some of the classic titles in one machine just to play around with. It isn't perfect but, it is still pretty cool. I've spent more on mods before so I don't have any buyers remorse.

64418560135__42626E48-3F0A-4D02-9611-D301BE562D2A (resized).jpg64418560135__42626E48-3F0A-4D02-9611-D301BE562D2A (resized).jpg
    #712 2 years ago

This came across my news feed today. Looks promising for those of us with the AFM game

#713 2 years ago

I see someone beat me too it. Zen has released their patch to Arcade1up for the AFM.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #714 2 years ago

When Arcade1up finally makes it available it will be listed here.

https://arcade1up.com/pages/software-updates

#715 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

When Arcade1up finally makes it available it will be listed here.
    https://arcade1up.com/pages/software-updates

Whaa hoo!, now maybe we can play Whitewater.

#716 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Whaa hoo!, now maybe we can play Whitewater.

This patch will pretty much make it or break it for the game. Fixing White Water should be the number 1 thing. #2 would be flipper lag. Not that I think it's as bad as some claim it is.

#717 2 years ago

Need to fix flipper lag, flipper speed, and flipper strength.

#718 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

This patch will pretty much make it or break it for the game. Fixing White Water should be the number 1 thing. #2 would be flipper lag. Not that I think it's as bad as some claim it is.

I agree... it will either be a novelty or a real game.

#719 2 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Need to fix flipper lag, flipper speed, and flipper strength.

Flippers look decent though?

In all seriousness, I hope this is a fix to peoples issues, I will buy in a heartbeat, if I should not have already. I think Arcade1 sees they can make some good $$$$ with this game, so hopefully that means they are making the effort worth it.

#720 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Flippers look decent though?
    In all seriousness, I hope this is a fix to peoples issues, I will buy in a heartbeat, if I should not have already. I think Arcade1 sees they can make some good $$$$ with this game, so hopefully that means they are making the effort worth it.

I only bought because I needed something to play at my up north condo. If the update isn’t sufficient I guess I’ll have to bring a couple machines up and leave the cars in the driveway.

#721 2 years ago

I've put considerable time now on the A1Up AFM machine along with each included table and am pretty shocked with the physics differences on each table, or maybe it's just variable lag that I notice. Yes, WhiteWater is a major problem, but I've also noticed that NGG suffers some similar, but slightly less noticeable issues, making it a pain to enjoyably play. It seems that AFM and MM were the main focus when this machine was being made, as those two games are very polished and play beautifully, but the other tables are more hit and miss. While I'm happy there's an update coming, I'm really questioning how many of my particular issues will be addressed, especially that ridiculous flipper-to-rest sound. Anyways, I finally decided to just put this in a rental homes and write the machine off, as I'm sure guests will enjoy playing it. After patches are released, this may make its way back to my home at some point.

On a side note, I did look into converting this into a mini VP, but good god the price of CPU components have sky-rocketed.

#722 2 years ago

Just picked up an AFM Arcade 1UP pinball machine. As has been mentioned in the thread, there are some issues with some of the tables but am hopeful a patch may help address those. All and all, however I'm impressed with the build quality and what they delivered at the price point. Fun diversion for the game room, scratches the itch for playing some of the better bally/williams games....and hey lets not forget......still 1/2 the price of a new Stern Topper! lol Looking forward to what the next versions improve on.

#723 2 years ago

I Don't think Flipper lag can be fixed unless you change out the main display no patch will fix that issue.

#724 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I Don't think Flipper lag can be fixed unless you change out the main display

Depends on the cause of the lag. Some of the tables included have minimal lag, so it points away from a hardware issue.

#725 2 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Depends on the cause of the lag. Some of the tables included have minimal lag, so it points away from a hardware issue.

Lag is display related.

#726 2 years ago

Throw a 5ms low latency display in & trust me lag will be minimal.

#727 2 years ago

I just went through lightly, then heavily modding one of these, since I couldnt deal with the flipper lag and wanted more tables.

1) started off with the stock Arcade1UP AFM
    2) Replaced the CPU unit with a Windows PC - needed a ldvs adapater board. (ebay.com link: itm)
    3) added a 21.5" lcd monitor for backglass (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVL2D2S/)

This all worked well. Used pinup popper to install VPX and games played great! NO perceptible lag with the stock 24" display.

4) replaced the 24" playfield monitor with a 1080p 31.5" monitor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FC6B1JM)

This took some cabinet mods to support it, but it just barely fits and looks great.

I still need to get a piece of tempered glass, but everything is up and running and total cost for everything (not including the PC, since I already had that laying around), was right at $1.1K. Figure maybe $500 for a PC and its a nice little Virtual pin for the game room.

Of course, it was a lot of work...certainly not plug 'n play

#728 2 years ago
    Quoted from noysboy:

I just went through lightly, then heavily modding one of these, since I couldnt deal with the flipper lag and wanted more tables.
    1) started off with the stock Arcade1UP AFM
    2) Replaced the CPU unit with a Windows PC - needed a ldvs adapater board. (ebay.com link: itm)
    3) added a 21.5" lcd monitor for backglass (amazon.com link »)
    This all worked well. Used pinup popper to install VPX and games played great! NO perceptible lag with the stock 24" display.
    4) replaced the 24" playfield monitor with a 1080p 31.5" monitor (amazon.com link »)
    This took some cabinet mods to support it, but it just barely fits and looks great.
    I still need to get a piece of tempered glass, but everything is up and running and total cost for everything (not including the PC, since I already had that laying around), was right at $1.1K. Figure maybe $500 for a PC and its a nice little Virtual pin for the game room.
    Of course, it was a lot of work...certainly not plug 'n play

Can you show pictures of how you got the monitors mounted?

#729 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Can you show pictures of how you got the monitors mounted?

Sorry, I dont have any pics, but just used double-sided tape. Its all hidden and its a tight fit for the playfield monitor (had to be de-cased).

1 month later
    #730 2 years ago

New prices going through the roof!!!! Marvel and Star Wars $799.99 and AFM $849.99

#731 2 years ago
    #732 2 years ago

Will 250 bucks make it less flipper lag?
    Still hoping for an update on the flipper lag and WW problems. Any word yet?

#733 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Will 250 bucks make it less flipper lag?
    Still hoping for an update on the flipper lag and WW problems. Any word yet?

No word yet. I'm hoping the price increase means they are updating the new ones. But no ones knows yet. These prices just dropped today.

#735 2 years ago

I placed an order yesterday for AFM, with a 10%-off-one-item MyBestBuy offer... When I checked my order status today and went back to the item page, I had to double-check to make sure that I hadn't paid a lot more than I had thought... Was both relieved and horrified to find that the price had jumped by over $200 overnight...

...and then I found this thread. Is there an owner's club thread for each of the Arcade1Up virtual pins? Or is this pretty much the correct forum to land in, in that regard?

#736 2 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I placed an order yesterday for AFM, with a 10%-off-one-item MyBestBuy offer... When I checked my order status today and went back to the item page, I had to double-check to make sure that I hadn't paid a lot more than I had thought... Was both relieved and horrified to find that the price had jumped by over $200 overnight...
    ...and then I found this thread. Is there an owner's club thread for each of the Arcade1Up virtual pins? Or is this pretty much the correct forum to land in, in that regard?

This is pretty much it. The thread is for all 3 Arcade1up pins and any future ones made.

1 week later
    #737 2 years ago

There is a fix coming. I mentioned to them about Whitewater being unplayable and Junkyard with the extremely weak flippers which are unable to make ramp shots. Let me know if anyone can play Whitewater and Junkyard.

Screenshot_20210727-153706_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210727-153706_Gmail (resized).jpg
    #738 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rshackxd:

There is a fix coming. I mentioned to them about Whitewater being unplayable and Junkyard with the extremely weak flippers which are unable to make ramp shots. Let me know if anyone can play Whitewater and Junkyard. [quoted image]

If you look back on this page, this same message was said 57 days ago. The post notes that a patch was already created 2 months ago. I wouldn't hold your breath on this.

#739 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

New prices going through the roof!!!! Marvel and Star Wars $799.99 and AFM $849.99
    [quoted image]

Yeah I saw that! WTF lol. My buddy played mine and loved it so much he went to order one and that’s when we noticed the price went up!! Crazy!! Glad I got mine at the $599. I really like it for what it is.

#740 2 years ago

Has anyone else seen this Arcade1up mod? Pretty cool having all the other games. I wonder how hard it was to do and how much was spent….probably too much to justify.

#741 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gallatinfly:

Has anyone else seen this Arcade1up mod? Pretty cool having all the other games. I wonder how hard it was to do and how much was spent….probably too much to justify.

It’s definitely more complicated than a mame switchover. My issue lately is the cost of cpu parts, otherwise I would have done the switch on mine. The smoother you want your gameplay to be, the beefier build you’ll need.

#742 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gallatinfly:

Scroll up a bit to my post on this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/15#post-6318985

It not super expensive (compared to other virtual pins...and pinball in general). Im really enjoying the virtual-only tables like Harry Potter and Stranger Things (I have a Stern Stranger Things Pro and the Virtual table is original and very good).

#743 2 years ago
    Quoted from noysboy:

Scroll up a bit to my post on this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/15#post-6318985
    It not super expensive (compared to other virtual pins...and pinball in general). Im really enjoying the virtual-only tables like Harry Potter and Stranger Things (I have a Stern Stranger Things Pro and the Virtual table is original and very good).

Very cool and lots of great info, thank you!

#744 2 years ago

In this wildpark, this deer is waiting for the visitors when the come by, for food.

Screenshot_20210220_185601_com.android.gallery3d.jpgScreenshot_20210220_185601_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    #745 2 years ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

In this wildpark, this deer is waiting for the visitors when the come by, for food.[quoted image]

Um...ok. And this has to do with A1U/Pinball how?...

#746 2 years ago
    Quoted from playklax01:

Cute deer.

#747 2 years ago
    Quoted from playklax01:

Even this deer is bullshit about the flipper lag in Whitewater.

#748 2 years ago

oh. ha found it, wanted to post that in another thread hmm. thought something went wrong because it didn't show up.

i'm sorry about the lag in whitewater though. hope it will be fixed

#749 2 years ago

Fix the lag or the deer gets it!

#750 2 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Fix the lag or the deer gets it!

oh my god no, i'll try

There are 1,214 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade1up-pinball-star-wars-virtual-pinball-machine-/page/15?hl=gallatinfly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.