(Topic ID: 258782)

Arcade1UP Pinball Virtual Pinball - Star Wars, Marvel and Attack From Mars.

By arcademojo

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 982 posts
  • 187 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by jonnyqtrek
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ep20_al_cheers (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-231040_Discord (resized).jpg
    DDF1EE89-7265-4902-B6CF-A3A0A73EEF03 (resized).jpeg
    20211030_181433 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-223854_Discord (resized).jpg
    Micro on right (resized).png
    FE79261A-BE96-40C2-A031-01E93DEB662E (resized).jpeg
    065E512A-6E83-4100-ABAD-671B9093D8D2 (resized).jpeg
    20211005_211436 (resized).jpg
    9EFA565B-AA51-4471-8909-2D2D21A08969 (resized).jpeg
    USB Driver - A1UP (resized).png
    725EFCCE-15E7-45DB-89EF-65708B80BA0C (resized).jpeg
    413ACB52-4815-468B-9434-679529B9C165 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1891 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1890 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1888 (resized).jpg

There are 982 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 20.
    #651 6 months ago

It’s here... I’ll post a YouTube video review later this evening. I’ve already got the Marvel version which is cool but the fact that I can play some real games is what drew me to this one.

04AD49AA-2AEA-438F-AE52-A2E475D534B4 (resized).jpeg2B877D93-AB6B-4CF4-9308-D03917B097B4 (resized).jpeg58E362B9-FF7A-46E6-BA55-F0A619301F5B (resized).jpegCD2295EC-C8B7-4D34-B05B-E964FAF3B63D (resized).jpeg
    #652 6 months ago

I like the shiny chrome on these things.

#653 6 months ago

Fun project - really impressed with the build quality! You can't go wrong with the price - isn't that what you would pay just for a set of new AFM decals?

AFM1 (resized).jpgAFM2 (resized).png
    #654 6 months ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

The little one is loving it!
    White Water is unplayable due to lag, but honestly, the rest of the games were fine. The build quality surpassed my expectations by a long margin - feels solid & looks amazing.
    The four solenoids do an admirable job & add to the ‘realism’. The 23.8” playfield sounds like it would be too small, but again, it looks bigger than that when playing on it.
    If the screen was 1080p & this was upgradable (to add more games), then I would’ve scored it 9/10. As it is, it’s a solid 7.5/10.
    PS: I’ve reached out to their PR/Marketing team regarding future upgrades/features & fixes like fixing White Water via a patch, internet connectivity & being able to purchase / add more content (sussing out if they are planning an App Store setup to buy more content). No reply so far.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I also noticed that WhiteWater is unplayable. The rest aren’t to bad and are very playable

#655 6 months ago

Someone had a good game. Not a killer game but still pretty good.

95CEE036-E45C-4E86-9E3F-46D66322F026 (resized).jpeg
    #656 6 months ago

Got the email from Best Buy, pickup today!
    Will post picks and first impressions tomorrow.
    Weird, my Amex still says pending. Maybe they dont charge it till pickup?

#657 6 months ago

I picked up an AFM cab yesterday from BB. Great build quality, aesthetics, and sound.

Plexi needs to be replaced with glass as it has noticable horizontal lines.

Whitewater is unplayable as everyone else has spoke too and ghost nudging is a huge problem. It isn't noticable while during flow play, but if you are a trap up player like myself - it is a huge headache to have the ball jump around when you're trying to make a certain shot.

The buttons don't feel right. It's my first time playing an Arcade1up machine so not sure if this us standard. I'm going to replace with pinball flipper buttons and see if that helps.

Not a bad little machine to start with. I can't wait to throw an old pc in there and fix some of these problems.

#658 6 months ago
    Quoted from GuiitarMan:

I picked up an AFM cab yesterday from BB. Great build quality, aesthetics, and sound.
    Plexi needs to be replaced with glass as it has noticable horizontal lines.
    Whitewater is unplayable as everyone else has spoke too and ghost nudging is a huge problem. It isn't noticable while during flow play, but if you are a trap up player like myself - it is a huge headache to have the ball jump around when you're trying to make a certain shot.
    The buttons don't feel right. It's my first time playing an Arcade1up machine so not sure if this us standard. I'm going to replace with pinball flipper buttons and see if that helps.
    Not a bad little machine to start with. I can't wait to throw an old pc in there and fix some of these problems.

The ghost nudge is fixed by resetting the connection on the one board. Sorry forget the name of it though.

#659 6 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The ghost nudge is fixed by resetting the connection on the one board. Sorry forget the name of it though.

Are you saying to open up the cabinet and re seat all of the connections? If so, that’s easy enough

#660 6 months ago
    Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Are you saying to open up the cabinet and re seat all of the connections? If so, that’s easy enough

I thought you had to unscrew the accelerometer board, 2 inch square green board, and then reseat it. I just unplugged it because it was causing awful lag. I was able to reach it from the removable back panel. Haven't tried reseating the board or plugging it back in.

#661 6 months ago

Picked up mine last night. Flipper lag is terrible.

#662 6 months ago

One of the Arcade1Up folks was kind enough to let me play one of the “display only” early prototypes at CES in January 2020. Flipper lag was bad, but had hoped they would address before production.

But: for the price, would guess it’s acceptable trade-off for some people.

As a comparison, I have a home built virtual pin. Was “high-end” 4 years ago (full force feedback, pinDMD, etc), but also had some lag and couldn’t smoothly handle PUP Packs or the highest res modern tables.

Recently upgraded with a 120 Hz 4K monitor, new PC, and a Nvidia 3080 graphic card. Holy cow what a difference. Zero lag. Incredible graphics. Obviously it’s still virtual and not everyone’s thing. which I don’t mind as table #8 in my collection; nice to be able to play the other 60 plus pins I don’t have room for. And some of the virtual only’s are a ton of fun…Harry Potter, Stranger Things, Pizza Time.

That said: you could get 20 or so Arcade 1Up tables for what I have into my custom build. For 1/20th the price, I’m sure many people can live with many trade-offs and have a grt time wl one of these.

#663 6 months ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

I thought you had to unscrew the accelerometer board, 2 inch square green board, and then reseat it. I just unplugged it because it was causing awful lag. I was able to reach it from the removable back panel. Haven't tried reseating the board or plugging it back in.

Pretty sure that's the board they were talking about. Someone else posted about recalibrating the plunger helped get some of the flipper lag out.

#664 6 months ago

I’m curious if one could upgrade the brain to raspberry pi, upgraded buttons, and a powered sub and really bring them to life. I think the screen is 1080p but the hardware doesn’t support it. Be cool to download all of the Zen games on a better unit

#665 6 months ago

I was hoping that they would have learned something from the Toyshock fiasco. Most of the games on the cabinet were unplayable. I have some hope that Arcade1up will be able to find a solution for the lag. That said... the game is still much better than the Haunted House-Toy Shock game from a couple of years ago.

My impression
    The cabinet looks nice
    Build quality is pretty solid
    The display is neither sharp or saturated.
    Definite flipper lag.
    all considered... not a bad price

#666 6 months ago

Picked a Star Wars on up last week. Still in the box. How is this one compared to AFM?

84E80ED6-953A-4061-8AF4-AE596B335628 (resized).jpeg
    #667 6 months ago

I picked up Attack from Mars and while it is very cool I am disappointed in the flipper lag and graphics, I have a Toyshock and thought the Arcade 1up would be way ahead of the Toyshock in playability and graphics but I am not so sure. I hope Arcade 1up at least comes out with an update to fix the flipper lag and of course Whitewater. At the end of the day for the money it is what it is.

#668 6 months ago

I just built my Williams model today and hoping someone here can chime-in if they're experiencing the issue described below, because I can't find any posts with a similar problem.

Anyways, when releasing the flipper button, about a second later I will hear an artificial flipper sound. This is the not the internal solenoid sound, as this activates simultaneously with flipper presses, but the artificial sound is rather a delayed sound from the main speakers that activates when a flipper button is let go. It occurs on every table and is driving me crazy. I shot a message to A1Up's customer support but if there's no fix to this, this machine is going back to Best Buy.

Here's a list of other issues which don't bother me as much:

- WH20 is unplayable, but this was expected. However, I had thought this would have been addressed on this later run of cabs.
    - Hurricane has odd sounds, similar to the artificial flipper button sounds, that occur randomly throughout the game and even into the match sequence. It sounds like it's trying to imitate some sort of metal clashing sound, but I'm not familiar enough with Hurricane to know what effect it's trying to mimic, but I'm pretty sure it's not doing its job correctly.
    - Right flipper button is crazy sensitive and activates randomly during play due to me just hovering my finger lightly on it (I'm sure this is an easy adjustment if I decide to open the cab). As it stands, I have to play with my right fingers completely off the button.
    - Flipper lag varies game to game
    - Nudging has major lag, making it un-effective for most ball saves.
    - DMD has the imitated appearance of an LED segment DMD, where you can make out the rectangle formations of each LED block. This is not an issue, but just something I found really odd.

I had a VP many years ago, as well as have owned majority of the pins on this machine at one point or other, so am familiar with the drastic differences between a VP and the real thing, but I'm really disappointed with this A1Up model. I've enjoyed many of their other products, but this feels way too rushed and unpolished.

#669 6 months ago

Messing with the machine a lot more, I think the sound I’m hearing is their imitation of what it sounds like for a flipper to disengage.... anyways, luckily this can be muted through the physics volume adjustment.

On another note, I added images of the dmd display, as my earlier post mentioned it looking blocky in segments. On closer inspection you would think I had a vertical and horizontal line going out on my dmd, but being this is just a small monitor, not really sure what’s going on here.

D938C064-9FE5-4A00-A03D-DE2305B718E0 (resized).jpegDB07ED73-B8D9-4753-92ED-845B6CD91514 (resized).jpeg
    #670 6 months ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

Messing with the machine a lot more, I think the sound I’m hearing is their imitation of what it sounds like for a flipper to disengage.... anyways, luckily this can be muted through the physics volume adjustment.
    On another note, I added images of the dmd display, as my earlier post mentioned it looking blocky in segments. On closer inspection you would think I had a vertical and horizontal line going out on my dmd, but being this is just a small monitor, not really sure what’s going on here.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That’s how the DMD is. I have the AFM and the Marvel 1up games and they are both the same in that aspect

#671 6 months ago

That’s how the DMD is. I have the AFM and the Marvel 1up games and they are both the same in that aspect

Thanks for letting me know. The odd part is that I had reset that back box hdmi cable with the game running and an error occurred where the pf image shot onto that back box display. However, the image was nice and bright throughout without any dim lines, so I believe the dim lines have something to do with their programming for the dmd image.

#672 6 months ago

So did anyone notice.....WH2O is unplayable.....AND the only game with a credit dot.... .....!!!!...ohh pinball........Joey

#673 6 months ago
    8F0FA930-76A9-4369-A4CE-DBE7C9082A33 (resized).jpegA038D057-2499-409D-BFEA-5E2819251E87 (resized).jpeg
    #674 6 months ago

A1Up did get back to me with a lengthy response to all of my issues, which I do respect and appreciate. They suggest that users try disabling the ball trail for White Water to work better, so I'll give that a shot when I get home (one thing I didn't mention before is that WH20 does have a credit dot error on it, which I think is pretty funny). They also replied with the same info that others have reported on the accelerometer, or what they call the G-sensor PCBA, to have it tightly screwed and re-seat its connection. On a final comment, their response on the DMD read the following:

"For the lines on the smaller DMD screen -- from speaking with our development team it appears your DMD screen is functioning as it should. In order to emulate the retro look and feel of original pinball machines from back in the day, we are using an LCD screen to recreate the visual feel of a DMD (Dot-Matrix-Display). The dot grid pattern you are seeing are part of the emulation of the original dot matrix displays and the crosshairs are part of the design."

My only guess is that the DMD they were trying to emulate had some line segments going out and they thought this was normal.

#675 6 months ago

Seems the AFM pin is either a love it or hate it. Overall, is it worth $600. Does Bestbuy have a good return policy?

#676 6 months ago

I have a couple people wanting the Williams version and are concerned with the lag on White Water.

Hopefully #LilRocky has good luck and reports back.

#678 6 months ago

^^^^^Get rid of that pesky screen tear...on sale now...!!!...........Joey

#679 6 months ago

Best Buy has a good return policy on this, which I started just to see if possible and I was one step away from printing a UPS slip where they’d come to my home and pick it up. I’m still back and forth on whether I want to send it back, as tweaking things here and there is making it slightly better, where I’d eventually just gut this and put in a PC.

I did turn off ball trails and the graphic-effects upgrade (small visual extras, like the dragon moving and screaming on MM), and this has noticeably lessened lag on all machines including WH2O. However, WH2O is still far from good. It’s somewhat playable in its current state, but that’s with me getting very used to the choppy ball motion and using early flips when predicting ball paths.

Another minor gripe that I didn’t mention before is with the plunger’s detection. For games with skill shots based on plunger strength, it’s either too weak or ridiculously powerful, not matter what visual I’m getting with the plunger pull. I’ve yet to hit the closest target on TOTAN’s skill shot due to a light plunge. And, yes, I’ve configured the plunger in settings more times than I can count.

The response given to me from A1Up had no indication of a patch or update, and keep in mind that there is no wifi on this machine.

I still can’t get over the “pinball effects” sounds, though, and am shocked this doesn’t bother anyone else. I’m probably going to shoot a video at some point to show just how ridiculous the return-to-rest flipper sound is.

On another note, I’ve come across a few bugs here and there with games locking up when going in and out of settings mid-game, but that’s probably because I’m going overboard with fine tuning.

All-in-all, if I had known all this before, I would have waited to purchase until all the issues get smoothed out. Keep in mind that I’m shutting off, or silencing, features to just make games enjoyable to play.

#680 6 months ago

I completely get what your saying....I too made white water playable(somewhat)....I’ve been in the hobby 7 yrs or so....tournament’s the whole 9...own 4.....for $600....this is the best pinball money I’ve spent....Thank You to Bruce K....I’ve gotten to play half these machines.....but the other half would have taken me another 7 yrs.....best $600 I’ve spent in awhile.........Joey

#681 6 months ago
    48D171D9-9130-459F-8042-848CFA065946 (resized).jpeg
    #682 6 months ago

If you had the ZEN version of this on XBOX, which plays perfectly, would you still buy?

#683 6 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

If you had the ZEN version of this on XBOX, which plays perfectly, would you still buy?

For it to be in the garage while people are waiting to play horse shoes or corn hole YES.....the money we spend for what WeGet...!!!.....YES.....this Is worth it....!!!.......Joey

#684 6 months ago

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0mNDmqjiipPIwBfsXRaMjCXVA

This is a temp link to show the return sound of the flippers as well as the really odd sounds in hurricane that I referred to in an earlier post. I shut off all sounds/music except for the “physics” and solenoids. The sad part is everything else in the physics sounds really good and level, but then you get this loud flipper-return sound that just overpowers everything.

#685 6 months ago

I hear you bro.....But...it ain’t that bad considering what you get for $600.....NO...???!!!......Joey

#686 6 months ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I hear you bro.....But...it ain’t that bad considering what you get for $600.....NO...???!!!......Joey

I think for a finished product, 600 is awesome for an entry-level virtual pin, but this needs work. Maybe A1Up is also emulating the current pinball NIB market with releasing un-polished code out the gate.

#687 6 months ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

I think for a finished product, 600 is awesome for an entry-level virtual pin, but this needs work. Maybe A1Up is also emulating the current pinball NIB market with releasing un-polished code out the gate.

I just don’t think there is a way to patch it. It doesn’t have a WiFi connection, and i didn’t see any type of port that could be used to update the software. Also... to my knowledge.... Arcade1up has never issued a software update for any game they have sold. I could be wrong... but I don’t know of any.

I think any fix will require some sort of firmware add on... and I think that is pretty unlikely.

#688 6 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I just don’t think there is a way to patch it. It doesn’t have a WiFi connection, and i didn’t see any type of port that could be used to update the software. Also... to my knowledge.... Arcade1up has never issued a software update for any game they have sold. I could be wrong... but I don’t know of any.
    I think any fix will require some sort of firmware add on... and I think that is pretty unlikely.

I would say 1up’s stance is what it is and they have no intentions of updating it. They gave us a pretty cool platform that can be modded fairly easily. I believe the display is 1080p but the computer hardware only supports 720p. If someone could figure out how to get a PC or Rasberry Pi in it and hooked up I bet it would be pretty amazing

#689 6 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

This is my concern as well and may ultimately be the reason I return it. I just got done replying to A1Up's Email with an additional question of will updates for this ever be possible, so to iron out current issues. I'll update as I hear back.

As for other A1Up machines that had updates, I know NBA Jam had a patch early in its release, but not sure about the other WiFi games.

#690 6 months ago

I just got some pretty awesome news from A1Up about updates and, yes, this machine along with other non-WiFi machines are updateable through a micro-usb port. Here's a list of other non-WiFi machines that went through updates along with added games:

https://arcade1up.com/pages/software-updates

This is part of what A1Up wrote me back with:

"Thank you for your reply and your understanding! I thank you for your feedback concerning the game play on the White Water table after the ball trails were turned off. The product team is looking into the reports and ask that you please be patient. Once more information is available, we are will update our community. Please stay tuned!

For units that do not have WIFI capability -- we normally have updaters that you can apply to your unit using a PC."

While this isn't a confirmation that an update will happen, it definitely shows that the possibility is there. Here's hoping that they also get rid of that annoying flipper rest sound!

#691 6 months ago

It's been stated on one of the A1up facebook pages that ZEN is working on an update for the game. They want to make one update that covers as much of the issues as possible instead of a bunch of little updates. They are upgradeable as with all the other A1up games with a micro drive.

#692 6 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

It's been stated on one of the A1up facebook pages that ZEN is working on an update for the game. They want to make one update that covers as much of the issues as possible instead of a bunch of little updates. They are upgradeable as with all the other A1up games with a micro drive.

This is all good news! If they can make some real improvements the game is worth $600.

#693 6 months ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:This is my concern as well and may ultimately be the reason I return it. I just got done replying to A1Up's Email with an additional question of will updates for this ever be possible, so to iron out current issues. I'll update as I hear back.
    As for other A1Up machines that had updates, I know NBA Jam had a patch early in its release, but not sure about the other WiFi games.

Ahhh ok... I have an NBA Jam. I need to look into that.

Quoted from LilRocky:

I just got some pretty awesome news from A1Up about updates and, yes, this machine along with other non-WiFi machines are updateable through a micro-usb port. Here's a list of other non-WiFi machines that went through updates along with added games:
    https://arcade1up.com/pages/software-updates
    This is part of what A1Up wrote me back with:
    "Thank you for your reply and your understanding! I thank you for your feedback concerning the game play on the White Water table after the ball trails were turned off. The product team is looking into the reports and ask that you please be patient. Once more information is available, we are will update our community. Please stay tuned!

For units that do not have WIFI capability -- we normally have updaters that you can apply to your unit using a PC."
    While this isn't a confirmation that an update will happen, it definitely shows that the possibility is there. Here's hoping that they also get rid of that annoying flipper rest sound!

Great! They are looking into it. If they are able to make it work as intended I think these machines could be pretty valuable in the future. Even with the flaws I am planning on keeping mine.

#694 6 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Great! They are looking into it. If they are able to make it work as intended I think these machines could be pretty valuable in the future. Even with the flaws I am planning on keeping mine.

I submitted a ticket as well. We have both Marvel and AFM. While the Marvel machine has some lag, the AFM is much worse. Hopefully they can get these dialed in a little better and really have something cool

#695 6 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I submitted a ticket as well. We have both Marvel and AFM. While the Marvel machine has some lag, the AFM is much worse. Hopefully they can get these dialed in a little better and really have something cool

This is why I am so on the fence. Some love, some not so much. The fact ZEN might improve it is promising. Id pay $1000 for this now it it performed like the xbox version. Id hate to buy it, knowing its iffy and having the xbox nearby. Im worried I would never play it..

Any chance the 2 can be combined? Vertical screen, with xbox power? Id buy a used xbox and replace the stock cpu if it can be done.

#696 6 months ago

Why anyone in this day and age is ok spending $600 on something like this that is not even 1080p let alone 4k is beyond me.

Sure it's all cool but the computer in it is garbage, makes games unplayable, and doesn't support full hd? Let alone have wifi or Blu tooth... Are we in 2005?

I was reeeeally close to snagging one of these until i read about them.

Waste of money imho. But, at that price it's attractive to ppl that dont really care about the above mentioned shortcomings.

#697 6 months ago

Should I open mine or return it? It's sitting here. I have a tiny arcade with 4 pins and a multicade. I have room for this mini AFM so I snagged one. Now, based on what I am reading in here I'm second guessing my purchase.

#698 6 months ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Should I open mine or return it? It's sitting here. I have a tiny arcade with 4 pins and a multicade. I have room for this mini AFM so I snagged one. Now, based on what I am reading in here I'm second guessing my purchase.

Id open and play if you already have it. Sounds like an easy return if you dont like it.

#699 6 months ago

Glad to hear that Arcade1Up and Zen are working on updates! Thanks LilRocky and NC_Pin

Published our review of the AFM machine: https://ausretrogamer.com/arcade1up-attack-from-mars-pinball-review/

The little one still loves playing it, which warms my heart (she also loves playing our real machines, especially TWD!)

Arcade1Up-Attack-From-Mars-Pinball-lil-ausretrogamer (resized).jpg
    #700 6 months ago

Why on earth would anyone pay 600 for a laggy virtual pin? Just because it’s in a mini cab? You could play smoother vp on a pc or game system if you’re not willing to shell out the cash for a real vp. To each his or her own I guess.

There are 982 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside