58 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

259A557E-11AD-4D17-A408-649F0E5B5D00 (resized).jpeg
Galaga (resized).png

#1 58 days ago

I have a Galaga and was wondering if there are any pinsiders that can and do re-flash these game chips? Specifically I was wondering if other games could be added to the original chips or if they can just be re-flashed with the 2 games that came with it Galaga and Galaxian?

If someone can do this please post here or PM me with price and what can be done.

Russ

Galaga (resized).png
#2 58 days ago

https://arcademodup.com/
Is your friend here.....
GL

#3 58 days ago

Careful with that guy...I am pretty sure he is the same guy that owns Gameroom Solutions. Their customer service was significantly lacking when I bought one of their setups a couple years ago. To the point that I will not do business with them again.

#4 58 days ago

Any pinsiders do this?

Quoted from cougtv:

Is your friend here...

Thanks have sent them an email to see what is involved in the process. They may not be open.

#5 58 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Careful with that guy...I am pretty sure he is the same guy that owns Gameroom Solutions. Their customer service was significantly lacking when I bought one of their setups a couple years ago. To the point that I will not do business with them again.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping someone on the site can do this as I'm not sure many businesses are even open.

#6 58 days ago

I looked at the site and to answer your question..

1) I'm going to say no on the re-flash. Most of these devices I have opened were not re-flashable in the field.

2) On the website listed above it lists a Raspberry Pi setup and adapter. So you are basically throwing away the existing "MPU" and substituting a "PC on a board" with video adapter.

#7 58 days ago

If you want more/different games, then take out the original PCB and throw in a Raspberry Pi.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/59#post-5469064

#8 58 days ago

I went the Raspberry Pi setup on my bartop arcade from Gameroom Solutions, and there are some caveats that should be shared. This is not a project for someone who has no Pi experience or high technical aptitude. I feel I am fairly technologically advanced, but setting up and modding retropi onto a new Pi was a real pain in the ass for me. Or maybe I am just getting old. Mapping the buttons correctly and getting certain emulated games to work with the correct buttons was also somewhat frustrating. I learned the hard way to make an image backup before you try to make anything else work, because I bricked mine a few times until I figured it all out. If the image Arcademodup is using is the same or similar to the Gameroom Solutions image they include on their bartop kits, their installation guide was seriously lacking. Again, I am going off their previous offerings...perhaps they have been able to streamline their arcade 1up mods to be a bit more plug and play. I would consult Youtube and see if there are some independent reviews before diving in for yourself.

#9 58 days ago

I’ve never heard of these being re-flashed; only people modding them.

I used a Pandora’s box and video converter. It’s much easier then a raspberry pi, and you can use all the original buttons and switches, except the volume switch. I just set it at a comfortable level and left it.

Pm me if you want a link for the YouTube video I followed.

#10 58 days ago

Look up Berry Berry Sneaky on FB. He has a service (on ebay) where he will reflash the A1UP chip with the fast fire version of Galaga and Galaxian (and perhaps some other games included as well)

#11 58 days ago

I just did the arcade mod up to our final fight with my kids as a STEM project. Easy to do. Couple pointers though, I grounded the display to the metal case, not the board. I was getting horizontal “static” from the ground. I also went out a had to buy 10-24 2” bolts as the stock ones were too short. Need to figure out the PS emulator side though. It’s not responding to controls.

259A557E-11AD-4D17-A408-649F0E5B5D00 (resized).jpeg
#12 58 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Look up Berry Berry Sneaky on FB. He has a service (on ebay) where he will reflash the A1UP chip with the fast fire version of Galaga and Galaxian (and perhaps some other games included as well)

Here's a current link to the service he provides:

ebay.com link » Arcade1up Galaga Fast Fire Upgrade Service Flash To Latest Software Rapid Shoot

#13 58 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Quoted from parsonsaj:

Here's a current link to the service he provides:

Have either of you dealt with this guy personally or have knowledge of results, reliability, or safe to deal with? I think I saw his ad on ebay but if pinside has not taught me anything it is to ask questions before I jump in.

Thanks guys anymore you may know would be appreciated.

#14 58 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I went the Raspberry Pi setup on my bartop arcade from Gameroom Solutions, and there are some caveats that should be shared. This is not a project for someone who has no Pi experience or high technical aptitude. I feel I am fairly technologically advanced, but setting up and modding retropi onto a new Pi was a real pain in the ass for me. Or maybe I am just getting old. Mapping the buttons correctly and getting certain emulated games to work with the correct buttons was also somewhat frustrating. I learned the hard way to make an image backup before you try to make anything else work, because I bricked mine a few times until I figured it all out. If the image Arcademodup is using is the same or similar to the Gameroom Solutions image they include on their bartop kits, their installation guide was seriously lacking. Again, I am going off their previous offerings...perhaps they have been able to streamline their arcade 1up mods to be a bit more plug and play. I would consult Youtube and see if there are some independent reviews before diving in for yourself.

It's not bad at all if you use a prebuilt image. Arcade Punks is a good site to peruse...

#15 58 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

Have either of you dealt with this guy personally or have knowledge of results, reliability, or safe to deal with? I think I saw his ad on ebay but if pinside has not taught me anything it is to ask questions before I jump in.
Thanks guys anymore you may know would be appreciated.

I have an order in process with him currently. He is very highly spoken of within the Arcade1UP modding community, though. He is very responsive to emails sent to either his Facebook or eBay account. He does have the ability to make other modifications to the Galaga chip but he doesn't advertise those, you have to ask...

#16 58 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I have an order in process with him currently. He is very highly spoken of within the Arcade1UP modding community, though. He is very responsive to emails sent to either his Facebook or eBay account. He does have the ability to make other modifications to the Galaga chip but he doesn't advertise those, you have to ask...

I think I'll seek him out then and maybe see how yours comes out. Thanks for the info it was what I needed to hear.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 34.94
Playfield - Plastics
Plastic 9 for Pin-Bot Out of stock
Pinball-Mods.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 12.00
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.00
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside