(Topic ID: 76191)

How do I reduce Backbox Reflection on glass?

By PurpleTophat

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinRob
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EBBox 004.jpg
Shine Eliminator 002.jpg
Shine Eliminator 001.jpg
IMG_4017.JPG
IMG_4016-843.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just installed a Backbox LED kit from Arcade Upkeep. I love the way it looks, but the reflection on the glass isn't any better than it was, and it was really bad. I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be better, but I figured it couldn't get any worse.

Any suggestions about how to reduce the reflection? It makes the whole upper section of the playfield hard to see. People who come over always comment about it. Would a piece of dark scrim over the LED board help? How about blacking out every other LED on the board with a sharpie or something? Anyone ever succeeded in this?

#2 10 years ago

Here are some pics:

IMG_4016-843.JPGIMG_4016-843.JPG IMG_4017.JPGIMG_4017.JPG
#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don't have to put an LED in every socket. Some people hardly even use 1/4th. Try reducing them.

Good call, but this LED board doesn't have the round bigger LEDs in it. It's these little flat square LEDs. Not sure I'll be able to pull any of them out. I'll have a look.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I also got an email right back from Arcade Upkeep on the subject and he suggested that some black electrical tape over some of the LEDs would be a good (non-permanent) approach. I went ahead and taped over 3/4 of the LEDs and it's a TON better. There's still glare there, but nothing like it was. Also the backbox is plenty lit up.

It's better than it's ever been, being that you can actually see the upper 2 ramps now, but I may tweak it a bit further. I was intrigued by the window tint idea. I may pick up a piece of that and see how it looks over the LED board, but behind the translite.

All in all, much improved, but still there. Of course, I like to keep the house lights down low whenever I'm playing.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Actually, I don't actually understand why you'd buy this kit, just to cover the LEDs. I must be missing something, what's the upside to having it?

Well, I got the kit for only $40 on Black Friday, so I figured why not try it? I do really like the way the it lights up the whole backbox, whereas the fluorescent tube seemed a lot dimmer at the top and bottom. Honestly, now that 3/4 of the LEDs are covered by tape, it still looks better than the fluoro tube and the glare seems to also be less than it had.

I don't know. Might keep it, might go back to the tube. That's the thing with any mod, you gotta be able to remove it without any sign that it was ever there. Probably over the weekend I'll put the tube back in and try to determine which really looks better and produces less glare. I can always throw the LED kit up on ebay if I decide I don't want it.

Quoted from tracelifter:

Order some 1/16" thick ABS thermoplastic and make a 12 x 24 Shine Guard, the 6" isn't deep enough.
http://www.parts-express.com/abs-textured-plastic-sheet-1-16-thick-x-12-x-24--265-940
Eliminates 100% of the backbox and DMD glare.

Neat! Unfortunately, in my current living situation I have no space to make something like that. Very cool though! I'd love to see it in person.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Perhaps this may be of some use to you. I've never tried it but have heard that it does help from others.
http://pinballsidemirrors.com/products/backbox-reflectors/stern-back-box-reflector/

This looks really interesting. Has anyone tried it???

Quoted from PinRob:

This is what you need to stop the glare from the translite / backbox.
http://www.jayspinball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=188

This one looks REALLY interesting because of the pictures, but $130 seems a bit steep. Anyone know what the difference is between these two?

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

bentplastic.com has them glare guards.

The DMD isn't the problem though. It's the Translite. If they made a big one like Tracelifter made, then it might be worth trying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-upkeep-backbox-led-kit?tu=PurpleTophat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.