image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi folks
I have been looking for a replacement crt arcade monitor for my neo geo. there are about 8 monitors for sale from a bowling alley that shut down. The size of my neo geo monitor is the same as the bowling alley ones. I just want to make sure there is nothing special about bowling alley monitors. There are pics of them on kijiji Ontario crt monitor
Thanks!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hi folks
I have been looking for a replacement crt arcade monitor for my neo geo. there are about 8 monitors for sale from a bowling alley that shut down. The size of my neo geo monitor is the same as the bowling alley ones. I just want to make sure there is nothing special about bowling alley monitors. There are pics of them on kijiji Ontario crt monitor
Thanks!

Post the pics so we can see what type of monitors they are

#3 6 years ago

Neo geo needs a cga resolution monitor (15 khz) that has rgb + sync connections. Does your Neo geo still have the isolation transformer?

You will need a chassis model number from the bowling monitors to check compatibility. Keep in mind the monitor mounting configuration can be different.

#4 6 years ago

Best pics o have off kijiji

IMG_0476 (resized).JPGIMG_0476 (resized).JPG

IMG_0480 (resized).JPGIMG_0480 (resized).JPG

IMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPG

IMG_0482 (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (resized).JPG

IMG_0483 (resized).JPGIMG_0483 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

my Neo Geo does have the isolation transformer
trying to check the model number but the person selling is not at the bowling alley
I was told there are 4 working, ..was told "the screen has shrunk on 2 of them" ..probably just needs adjusting?
for 50 bucks, might be worth the 1-1/2 hr drive.

#6 6 years ago

Pictures are pretty blurry, but that chassis looks a lot like a k4900. Is your Neo Geo a 25" or a 19"?

#7 6 years ago

Mine is 26"

#8 6 years ago

I've personally never heard of a Neo Geo using a 26" so I'm not going to be of any use. I've had 4 Neo Geo's and they all had a 25". I have a friend with a 19" in theirs and I have another friend who has a cabaret one with 13".

#9 6 years ago

Remember that CRT TVs are quoted with visible area, not area of the tube itself ... usually. I would bet that 26" monitor is actually a 25". I would assume pretty much any monitor would work in a Neo-Geo.

#10 6 years ago

Thx guys , your right , I had measured from corner to corner -- looks more like 25"

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I was told there are 4 working, ..was told "the screen has shrunk on 2 of them" ..probably just needs adjusting?
for 50 bucks, might be worth the 1-1/2 hr drive.

or it could be the start of vertical collapse

I dont see the video connectors in any of those pictures so if they are VGA monitors, you'd have to get a gonbes video converter to make it work in your NeoGeo. If they are K4900's then it'd be plug and play.

Side note, in Canada they measure the Tube. In the US they measure the viewable area. That's why its a 26" for him and a 25" for us . CRT TVs would have both measurements on the box and typing that makes me feel old. :/

#12 6 years ago

This thread reminds me I need to get a backup monitor just in case

My neo 2 slot is a 25 inch

Love my cab lots of great games an memories of playing them as a kid

#13 6 years ago

definitely try to find a 25" Wells Gardner k7000. Easy to work with and they can be found fairly easily. There are many different old CRT tvs that can actually be converted to a k7000 even.

#14 6 years ago

going to try calling the bowling alley again and ask for the model..
I also thought of the fact the bowling alley would have these monitors on for extended periods of time..ill ask burn in question as well

#15 6 years ago

RCA - model A63ABG20X

#16 6 years ago

That's the tube #, not the monitor model. The ones pictured are well Gardner k4900 monitors.

#17 6 years ago

Yes , I just realized that...that's what I thought. (Tv s that are also for sale) ..ill ask again

#18 6 years ago

That's pretty damn impressive you could identify those monitors

#19 6 years ago

Just told this is the info off the back of the monitor. Didn't want to keep pushing and mention, to my knowledge, RCA never made arcade monitors. Was given another number..25K5506 apparently off the chassis

#20 6 years ago

This is a handy website for figuring out which monitor chassis you have.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/monitor.html

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That's pretty damn impressive you could identify those monitors

When you stare at them long enough you begin to memorize the colors and layouts. I think I could do a g07 chassis cap kit blindfolded at this point.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just told this is the info off the back of the monitor. Didn't want to keep pushing and mention, to my knowledge, RCA never made arcade monitors. Was given another number..25K5506 apparently off the chassis

Never seen one in person, but that is the 25" version of the popular wells gardner k4900 hence the similarities. It is a medium resolution chassis and won't work with a stock neo geo. You will have to upscale the video signal. That is also a shelf mount monitor which will not work in a neo geo. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. What happened to the original monitor?

#23 6 years ago

Thx for the advice. Passed.
Monitor trashed on mine busted neck etc..

#24 6 years ago

You guys saved me a lot of wasted money and time. Cheers!

#25 6 years ago

Here is the current state of my monitor. Can this be fixed? I'll do it.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#26 6 years ago

All the pins are present , none broken just bent

#27 6 years ago

If the glass or nipple is not broken, the you can simply place the CRT socket on the tube as long as you line up the pins. The plastic housing on the ends of the neck only served to insure how the neck board goes on. After time, they become brittle and break.

If, when you power it up, you get blue lightning inside the tube, the vacuum is lost and the tube is toast.

#28 6 years ago

Of course, straightening the pins may result in fracturing the neck and you will loose the vacuum.

#29 6 years ago

Ok...can I fire up the monitor ( test) before I begin to re-seat?

#30 6 years ago

No!

It is not safe to power it up without the neck board properly seated to the picture tube itself.

#31 6 years ago

Reseated the pins and fired up the game. Some success but how do I fix the verticle lines?

#32 6 years ago

clean the cart edge connectors. Looks like you're missing red.

#33 6 years ago

Reset cartridge and looks much better. how do I adjust to make the image crisper?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

The focus is on the flyback. I am away from my shop right now, but I'll be back in a little bit to take a photo for you.

#35 6 years ago

There are basically 2 knobs where the flyback is on the chassis (a red wire comes out of the flyback and goes up to the anode cap)
TYPICALLY the top one is focus and the bottom one is screen (some people call it brightness but thats not really accurate)
they are usually labeled. Once you get focus close you should use the monitor adjust board for fine tuning.

judging by the bottom left it looks like you might have some convergence issues too.

#37 6 years ago

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

#38 6 years ago

I texted my neighbour to come over to help me fine tune the monitor. I'm thrilled you folks helped me breathe new life into my monitor. Is there some sort of adhesive I can use to secure the neck board? Cactus Jack: without your advice, I would of turned on the monitor without the pins seated. Got to love the Internet.

#39 6 years ago

The manufacturer would use a blob of silicone to secure the crt socket to the neck. Unless you are really rough with your game, you shouldn't need anything to hold things in place. But, if it does seem to keep sagging due to the weight of the neck board, you can run a bead of silicone across the top which can be easily cut away if needed.

Apply the silicone AFTER securing the neck board on to the tube.

#40 6 years ago

Convergence issue fixed...I think

#41 6 years ago

That's a good idea Jack. Still struggling with the focus

#42 6 years ago

#43 6 years ago

Why does it take 20 minutes before the monitor brightens properly? Can this be fixed?

#44 6 years ago

Model 25k8191

#45 6 years ago

I followed the cap wire to these adjustments...am I on the right track?

#46 6 years ago

Made udjustment here no change..

#47 6 years ago

top one is focus. if your monitor takes a while to get to max bright it likely needs a cap kit

#48 6 years ago

Still did not cure...

#49 6 years ago

Make sure you are being very cautions poking around with the monitor. They carry extremely high voltage that can seriously hurt!

#50 6 years ago

Not a focus issue. As mentioned, the shift in colors not lining up is a convergence issue. Not an easy thing to tackle via messages.

Convergence can be an issue of what direction the game is facing in regards to the compass (NSEW). But normally, someone has screwed with the purity magnets or dislodged the fixed positioning of the yoke.

If you take an in focus, straight down photo from the top showing the purity magnets ( the rotational fins located between the neck yoke coils and the neck board.) We might be able to advise some correction. But it more than likely will never be perfect.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-monitor-question?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.