• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JBK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

I know this question is probably better suited for somewhere like the KLOV however I know a lot of people on here also collect arcade games so figured I would check first. I got a call from a friend who has a sitdown pac-man machine and when they turn on the machine the screen is a little blurry/fuzzy but after 15 minutes or so it looks fine. They have owned the machine for a long time and it just started to act this way recently. They know I collect pinball machines and asked if I could go over and check it out. Being the friend that I am I said OK but it's been a while since I messed with any arcade games. I seem to recall a few of my games in the past behaving this way but I always ended up selling them before fixing them.

So I was looking for some suggestions/advice as to what the issue could be. I haven't seen the machine in person yet and will likely go over in the next few weeks. I wasn't sure if this is something a cap kit would fix or not. When I had arcade games I never messed with the monitors that much because I know they can be dangerous with the high voltage. I'll search around the web and see what I can find on the issue however figured if someone knew or had a good idea what the issue might be that would save me a lot of time.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I wasn't sure if this is something a cap kit would fix or not.

9 times out of 10 that's the answer.

#3 5 years ago

If not a cap kit then reflowing solder on the chassis or in some cases the fly back is starting to go bad

#4 5 years ago

Make sure the flyback is not showing signs of cracking.

#5 5 years ago

It depends on the monitor. But this sounds like caps and/or a bad flyback. If the image is out of focus and he adjusts it so that it is in focus and then it drifts out of focus I would say the flyback is bad for sure. Depending on which monitor is in the game would determine what to do. E.g. if it's an Electrohome G07 then it would need a full rebuild with caps and flyback and a handful of other parts no matter what. If it's a K4900 or 4600 it's likely to just need caps. Hard to say for sure without seeing it. Some pics of the image and the monitor itself would be helpful.

#6 5 years ago

start with cap kit, then flyback if needed. If it’s g07 monitor do both at same time.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses that is why I posted beforehand so I could have a gameplan when I check it out. I'll get details as to the model of the monitor and take some pics/videos of the monitor issue. They are not a collector and it's the only arcade game they have. They had it for years and said it just started to act up recently. They don't know how to make adjustments so it's nothing they caused. Seemed a little strange how once it is on for 10-15 minutes the issue goes away but I'll get a better idea once I see it in person.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Seemed a little strange how once it is on for 10-15 minutes the issue goes away but I'll get a better idea once I see it in person.

Not really unusual actually, things warm up, old dried out caps get their act together finally etc. I highly doubt it's the flyback, cap kit would definitely be the first order of business.

#9 5 years ago

Wow this thread gives me hope, I’m gonna post some of my arcade questions too! I made an account on KLOV but for some reason even after getting vouched for I can’t post so I gave up. I love Pinside too much anyway.

#10 5 years ago

A arcade section on Pinside would be great
maybe Robin could set up a sub forum

#11 5 years ago

Yeah, if KLOV has a pinball section then why not?

#12 5 years ago

Hi Fellas
Don’t want to hijack the thread but a quick question on the same subject. Have a upright Pac-Man. Monitor is ok but was wondering what kind of investment I would need to make to convert to led? Worth it?? Always liked the “appearance” of a crt in videos than an led or lcd. Thank you

G

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas
Don’t want to hijack the thread but a quick question on the same subject. Have a upright Pac-Man. Monitor is ok but was wondering what kind of investment I would need to make to convert to led? Worth it?? Always liked the “appearance” of a crt in videos than an led or lcd. Thank you
G

Worth it? In what sense? It will look awful and people who enjoy old games will hate it and privately think you're some kind of monster.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas
G

Stay with the crt. Make sure cap, hot, fly, are new. Resolver all connections. It'll last a long time.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

A arcade section on Pinside would be great
maybe Robin could set up a sub forum

Quoted from Leeb18509:

Yeah, if KLOV has a pinball section then why not?

That already exists and is where I made this post:
pasted (resized).pngpasted (resized).png

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Worth it? In what sense? It will look awful and people who enjoy old games will hate it and privately think you're some kind of monster.

Monster. Come on Aurich you can do better lol. But seriously I agree. The new solid state monitors just done do it for me in these older games. Only reason I would consider is that the existing monitor has some burn in. If I could purchase a new or newer monitor without the burn in I would be set. Any suggestions for a source for such an animal? Thank you all!!

#17 5 years ago

New CRTs aren't the easiest to come by, you gotta just sorta keep an eye out for replacements that are burn in free if that's the concern. They're out there, but you mostly stumble on them.

#18 5 years ago

Definitely cap the monitor then adjust. Should solve the issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-monitor-question-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.