(Topic ID: 144373)

Pinball Tournament: what games should we use?

By chuckwurt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by soren
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“what two games should I add to TWD and GOT for a tournament?”

• WH20 38 votes
    25%
  • Corvette 16 votes
    11%
  • WW 30 votes
    20%
  • RBION 19 votes
    13%
  • Frankenstein 6 votes
    4%
  • FH 38 votes
    25%
  • Who Dunnit 4 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 151 votes by 77 Pinsiders)

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I am running a tournament at the Arcade Legacy: Bar Edition in Cincinnati, OH on December 16th. This will be a tournament with a 4 game bank. Two games will be TWD, and GOT. The owner of the bar gave me the option of selecting the other two games from the pinball machines he has available at his arcade. See Poll above. What games would you choose to complete this 4 pack for the tournament?

WH20
Corvette
TAF
WW
RBION
Frankenstein
FH
Who Dunnit

#2 8 years ago

Is the option of turning the games on tournament mode available or do they have to be played as they sit? Because I'd say Who Dunnit is the best option when in tournament mode, but when on stock settings it's the worst option.

#3 8 years ago

I can have them setup however. If it has a tournament setting, I can make it happen.

#4 8 years ago

Curious about who dunnit. I've only played it on TPA. Good tourney game? What's basic strategy?

#5 8 years ago

Who Dunnit is stayed away from because there's gambling of points, which I guess can be turned off but then you might have a worthless shot on the PF....don't rememner ever trying mine in T-mode.

Whirlwind for sure...classic tourney game. You can leave the center post rubber on,or take it off, or take the post out alltogther.
Wh20 is good, but times can be very long.
I think RBION can be SUPER brutal in tourney, but Lawlor layout close to Whirwind, eventhough they don't play anything alike.

#6 8 years ago

Tournament mode Who Dunnit alternates roulette between wins and losses (starting with a loss). The amount bet can still cause big swings for better or worse.

I hate in Frankenstein that the skillshot is easy for the first 3 seconds then it becomes random. It's not any big swing in points but benefits players who can step up the game right after their opponent and don't have to wait for a tilt bob to calm down.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I hate in Frankenstein ...

I just hate Frankenstein
But then again games like Frank & Corvette sometimes are good choices because people on average have played them a lot less than a lot of the titles listed. Another reason RBION is a good choice.

#8 8 years ago

Just another point, this will probably a lot of inexperienced players. If a lot of people even show up. Haha

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Curious about WHO dunnit. I've only played it on TPA. Good tourney game? What's basic strategy?

Multiballllllllll. Basement multiball! The Roof! Penthouse Multiball! Bet all your points on an enormous roulette spin or two and luck your way into the high score table with some double digit billions score of nonsense!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just another point, this will probably a lot of inexperienced players. If a lot of people even show up. Haha

Well then maybe the classics are a good idea then.
I say go with FT & TAF

You got 2 new Sterns in there, counter balance it with these.

#11 8 years ago

I would also avoid Who Dunnit. Too random and the betting is a bit unfair.

Whirlwind is a perfect game to use. I used to own one and it is extremely brutal, but fair. It will definitely keep the tournament moving quickly.

Also, I would go with white water as the second game. Fun, tough game with good objectives.

You want to provide fun games, but you also dont want the tournament going 12+ hours.

#12 8 years ago

Betting is not unfair in tournament mode. It goes loss, win, loss, win and continues this way. A little randomness but overall pretty fair. They've used it in major tournaments. Since its not a lot of experienced players, time shouldn't be the major deciding factor here. It needs to be fun. Is whirlwind fun to the random pinball player who isn't very good? I'd argue it sometimes isn't depending on set up. Want to stay away from the games being so hard and need to focus on fun. I'd argue whodunnit is one of the more fun games for the casual crowd.

#13 8 years ago

Completely agree. I want games that are gonna make these peeps wanna come back the next month and learn the games more. I would like this to catch in as a solid monthly tournament.

#14 8 years ago

JM, Mr. High Score Big Baller.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

JM, Mr. High Score Big Baller.

Haha. Lucky more like it.

#16 8 years ago

Everyone calling Who Dunnit a luck-fest should check out the PPO and Pinburgh broadcasts. The game was used in finals in both of those and worked out terrificly.

I'd shy away from using TAF, because new players will be unhappy with how brutal it is, and experienced players will be unhappy with how boring of a game it is.

Ripley's and Who Dunnit certainly make for the most interesting play of the bunch, the other games are mostly one-trick ponies, however Ripley's and Who Dunnit have plenty of different things to do. Only problem with Ripley's that make me eh about it are the stupidly high value of the skillshot and the Asia mode.

#17 8 years ago

Not that it matters to us mere humans but didn't Cayle exploit some rare bug to disable the target bank which led to Elevator Madness mayhem? That's not going to happen here but I don't know about "terrific".

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just another point, this will probably a lot of inexperienced players.

Then I'd say TAF & FH for their straightforward rules and cool toys.

#19 8 years ago

You're biggest problem here is you have no EM's included. They will always balance the play field. Then again, they all should be EM's. LOL

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Not that it matters to us mere humans but didn't Cayle exploit some rare bug to disable the target bank which led to Elevator Madness mayhem? That's not going to happen here but I don't know about "terrific".

It wasn't an exploit the game was not working properly. The target bank was supposed to raise back up but it never did.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Tournament mode WHO dunnit alternates roulette between wins and losses (starting with a loss). The amount bet can still cause big swings for better or worse.

Per player or over all in the game?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Start penthouses party and then hammer the middle.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Per player or over all in the game?

Per player. The set order of the roulette provides a risk reward of a player to give up some points by playing the first one and taking a loss, but setting themselves up for the opportunity to take a big reward from the second.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Start penthouses party and then hammer the middle.

Penthouse party is a timed mode, and does that intentionally. It's certainly lucrative but is in no way an exploit or a bug.

#24 8 years ago

No ball save on FH and WW.
WHO dunnit was pulled from Pinburgh finals, I thought because it was playing so long, but maybe the 3bank.
I vote Ripleys and Corvette, just cause they aren't in tourneys that often, and pretty fun.

#25 8 years ago

WW home rom has ball save

#26 8 years ago

The WhoDunnit bug is repeatable and severe. It's on the IFPA banned list for events we run directly, but YMMV.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The WhoDunnit bug is repeatable and severe. It's on the IFPA banned list for events we run directly, but YMMV.

Do you know if that bug is related to why WhoDunnit was removed from Pinburgh Finals? Because after using it through all the PPO and all the earlier finals rounds it seems strange that Doug would have a sudden change of heart on that (although after watching two 20 bil+ games he'd probably have had a change of heart on it for another reason).

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

interesting. I just assumed it was a malfunction that let the players hit the elevator over and over again.

#29 8 years ago

There is a very specific way to get the bank to stay down. I believe Cayle posted saying it was tied to roof multiball. That's about all I want to know about since I like the game and don't want it to be ruined.

But for low level tournaments it would be totally okay, what was witnessed was amazing as two world class players dominated it and it happened to got into bug mode. It never happened at PPO, at least from what I saw. Last I knew Karl was messing around with different versions of code and found one that was moderately better.

For IFPA I totally get banning the game, but for your local monthly I wouldn't really take that into consideration.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Do you know if that bug is related to why WhoDunnit was removed from Pinburgh Finals? Because after using it through all the PPO and all the earlier finals rounds it seems strange that Doug would have a sudden change of heart on that (although after watching two 20 bil+ games he'd probably have had a change of heart on it for another reason).

It's absolutely related. It wasn't about Doug having a change of heart, it was about finally realizing it wasn't a mechanical issue. Even in the earlier Pinburgh rounds it was deemed a mechanical issue and play continued.

As they realized it wasn't actually something mechanical related to the up/down bank, and was a software related malfunction that could be exploited, that's when you saw the game wheeled off to the Dead List(tm).

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from harmon1728:

For IFPA I totally get banning the game, but for your local monthly I wouldn't really take that into consideration.

Totally agree with Alex on this. If your local tavern has a Who Dunnit . . . or a Getaway . . . or a Terminator 2 . . . or a No Good Gofers . . . or a TOTAN . . . feel free to play on.

The games on are banned list are strictly for higher level tournaments where it's far more likely the exploits/issues can pop up.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Totally agree with Alex on this. If your local tavern has a WHO dunnit . . . or a Getaway . . . or a Terminator 2 . . . or a No Good Gofers . . . or a TOTAN . . . feel free to play on.
The games on are banned list are strictly for higher level tournaments where it's far more likely the exploits/issues can pop up.

Not T2!! haha I am afraid to ask. What is the bug on that one?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I know for sure there's one where someone hits a jackpot and it plays the animation and such, but doesn't score a jackpot. I'm pretty sure there's also one that puts some at something like "255 targets to multiball", but I could be wrong about that one.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

http://papa.org/2012/08/03/papa-14-finals/

Watch the video and read the comments down the page.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Arnold sucks at math, and scoring things that are hit.

#36 8 years ago

My go-to game notes location: http://papa.org/learning-center/director-resources/directors/game-notes/

Terminator 2

Williams – 1991

Tournament Issues: Terminator 2 software contains bugs that can potentially be devastating to a competitive game. Known bugs include: 255 drop target hits to multiball, and a multiball bug that may occur when a ball is locked with zero seconds left on the timer causing a string of odd behavior from the game.

Setup Notes: Directors are encouraged to leave the center post in Terminator 2. Difficulty should be adjusted by widening outlanes and adjusting sling sensitivity.

Lock Stealing: No
Preferred Software Revision:
Reasonable Competition Game: No – Software Bugs

#37 8 years ago

To the OP: I'd go with FH and Corvette to have some variety. You've already got two Sterns. And your two Sterns play completely different than RBION, I don't like Stern-aments.

If you're playing multi-player matches, there's also a scoring bug on WH2O where player 4 gets credit in their bonus for the accumulated performance of players 1-3.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

If you're playing multi-player matches, there's also a scoring bug on WH2O where player 4 gets credit in their bonus for the accumulated performance of players 1-3.

So the better players 1-3 do the more bonus player 4 gets? Anyway to change the settings to fix that? Whitewater is probably going to be one of the games.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'm pretty sure there's also one that puts some at something like "255 targets to multiball

Jesus talk about chopping wood. Haha

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Jesus talk about chopping wood. Haha

The moment you've been waiting for, final match for the trophy, down 100 million, ball 3, 222 targets for multiball;
hit it.

#41 8 years ago

Avoid Who Dunnit like the plague, long ball times and software has been known to be buggy! RBION is good but ball times tend to be longer so I would probably avoid it for that reason.

I would go with Funhouse and Corvette and then maybe either WW or WH2O

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

RBION is good but ball times tend to be longer so I would probably avoid it for that reason.

That's all in set up. While betwixt the flippers isn't bad, those outlines are evil as shit...and no ball saver (default).

#43 8 years ago

I have lobbied for WH20 and FH with the owner. We shall see. I really appreciate everyone's input. Now let's hope ppl show up and I don't screw up running this thing!

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have lobbied for WH20 and FH with the owner. We shall see. I really appreciate everyone's input. Now let's hope ppl show up and I don't screw up running this thing!

Get ready with the rules right away...there's always going to be something funky that's gonna happen. Again, with a relaxed crew it shouldn't be too big a hassle but be ready anyway

#45 8 years ago

Will do. I think my rules are pretty easy to follow and there are only two rounds to the tournament, maybe three if a lot of people show.

#46 8 years ago

What happens when someone is playing TWD and the and the next player is starting their ball and the flippers don't work...so all they can do is plunge the ball?

#47 8 years ago

Good question. What would you do?

Also, what's the protocol of they accidentally start a 1 player game, play one ball and are on ball 2 of player one? Should've been a 4 player game.

#48 8 years ago

The complete PAPA rule set is an invaluable resource when running an event. They have pretty much every weird circumstance covered in one way or another. Familiarize yourself with it and keep a copy on hand so you can refer to specific sections when you need to make rulings on the spot.

http://papa.org/papa-tournaments/official-rules/complete-papa-ruleset/

And to answer your question, the game is not valid until the correct number of players are entered into the game. That game would be restarted from scratch and player 1's score on the voided game will be canceled.

#49 8 years ago

Awesome! Thanks. Definitely keeping this handy.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good question. What would you do?

I would follow the link provided. This has happened to me on 2 separate sterns recently...very strange

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-legacy-bar-pinball-tournament-dec-16th and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.