• Latest reply 2 years ago by sunnRAT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200519_211017 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I’m looking for an upright Tron arcade game to go next to my Tron Legacy pin. I’m not an expert on these games. So I’m looking for someone who is. I want something reliable, hassle-free and turn-key. There’s a guy in Florida who can build one from the ground up with a current circuit board and LCD monitor. He says the original circuit boards and a CRT are not as reliable as upgraded electronics with the LCD screen. He can make an upright cabinet identical to that original with all new electronics inside. Anyone have any other ideas or sources for one of these games?

#2 2 years ago

Lcd’s suck.

#3 2 years ago

Stick with a CRT. Tron deserves this as it is s classic game.!!

#4 2 years ago

Tron is not that difficult to find. The only real issues are the ribbon connectors between the boards, but new replacements can be found. it should be possible to find a restored game somewhere.

#5 2 years ago

If your okay spending the money I would encourage you to have someone rebuild a CRT chassis and it will last you a long time and look superior to a LCD. Upgraded electronics means emulation and often times there are missing sounds and graphics. Not sure on the accuracy of Tron in MAME, but personally unless it’s a FPGA I would stay with the OG board. There was a MIsTER release of the MCR hardware but I doubt that is what this person planned on doing.

IMHO there is a noticeable difference between an original arcade game vs ones that use emulation/LCD and I think anyone trying to tell you otherwise is in it for the sale. Cough cough

#6 2 years ago

Because I don't want to be the guy who barks his opinion but offers no real helpful advice, I will include some links. As girloveswaffles said, Trons are about as rare as TAFs and you shouldn't have any issues finding one. It's been a while since I ran with the sophisticated folks over on KLOV (https://forums.arcade-museum.com/), but putting out a wanted ad would be your best place to source one locally or someone who would be willing to ship. If the dude in Florida can build you a cabinet with the artwork I would also assume he has access to repro joystick handles and CPO. As far as the internal hardware goes here is a link to a restored board with new ribbon cables and caps:
ebay.com link: itm
Repro Wire Harness: ebay.com link: itm
and Repro Power Supply: ebay.com link: itm
I'm assuming he would also be using monitor cross brackets from (https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=MONBRKT) that can be used with both a CRT & LCD.

If this is the Florida person you are talking about in your original post then it looks like for an additional $650 you can get the OG board and CRT.
ebay.com link: itm

Hope that helps!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:There’s a guy in Florida who can build one from the ground up with a current circuit board and LCD monitor. He says the original circuit boards and a CRT are not as reliable as upgraded electronics with the LCD screen.

Stick with original if you can. LCD monitors are garbage, especially for older games. Nothing wrong with CRT monitors.

Tron arcade machines arent as rare as people think. Join the KLOV forums if you have a little patience as i'm sure one will pop up.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

LCD monitors are garbage

How about Golden Tee Fore's ?

LTG : )

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

How about Golden Tee Fore's ?

Touché!

Yeah I hate those things. Pretty much anything in a giant mega size showcase cab as well.

I've had to help various people move those god forsaken cabs on multiple occasions. My back would rather deal with pinball machines all day, than moving one of those piece of shit cabs.

*edit, I misread your post and thought you were referring to those 27" CRT monitors. Never enjoyed working on those. * LCDs i've never worked on.*

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

*edit, I misread your post and thought you were referring to those 27" CRT monitors. Never enjoyed working on those. * LCDs i've never worked on.*

Yeah, I was wondering if the LCD's looked good on Golden Tee Fores. Since they are used on newer Golden Tee's.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yeah, I was wondering if the LCD's looked good on Golden Tee Fores. Since they are used on newer Golden Tee's.

I would imagine so. Most 90's and onward games I think look better with LCDs.

Sorry I was thinking it from a repair standpoint. But yeah, LCD in a Golden Tee Fore sure why not?

#12 2 years ago

Rumor is Arcade 1up may be making Tron in the near future, obviously not the same as the original but still might be cool at an affordable price. I sold my original Tron last year, awesome machine wish I still had it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 2 years ago

Thanks for the pointers @girloveswaffles, KLOV suggestion sunnRAT and the links @ruralcollector. I know this is a project I can attack myself and will enjoy it. Problem is I have way too many projects already. I like the idea of a shiny freshly built cabinet. I’ll see if I can get original boards and a CRT.

#14 2 years ago

Sold my Tron arcade last month, owned it for 10 years. In my opinion the gameplay gets stale quick, only reason I kept it is because it’s the coolest looking arcade.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from OCP2:

Sold my Tron arcade last month, owned it for 10 years. In my opinion the gameplay gets stale quick, only reason I kept it is because it’s the coolest looking arcade.

Fully understand. I’m not an arcade guy, I just want one next to my pimped out Tron pin!

#16 2 years ago

Old arcade games blow IMO, pinball is timeless arcade games didn’t get good till the 90s

#17 2 years ago

I love mine along with my Tron Pro it will never leave the house. If game play gets boring High Score Saves makes a two game kit that puts Satan's Hollow in the machine also, plus you can bump up the difficulty in the games as well. Only issues with mine is the typical monitor burn, but its not noticeable during play.

20200519_211017 (resized).jpg20200519_211017 (resized).jpg
#18 2 years ago

Older arcade video games are a bear to fix and finding someone to do the work
will be a challenge. While you might find one that works eventually it'll die.
Although my collection is overwhelmingly pins, also have about 25 video games.
You might be better off finding a repro but agree with others that LCD displays suck.
Steve

#19 2 years ago

Regarding CRT vs LCD. The guy proposing my built can go either way. But he says, “… Some games just don't look right with an LCD but Tron has a recessed monitor and it actually looks better (in my opinion).”

Is that true about the Tron recessed monitor?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Regarding CRT vs LCD. The guy proposing my built can go either way. But he says, “… Some games just don't look right with an LCD but Tron has a recessed monitor and it actually looks better (in my opinion).”
Is that true about the Tron recessed monitor?

Guess that depends on his definition of "Recessed".
It's no more "Recessed than a dedicated Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Rally-X, etc, etc...
One big difference with a CRT vs a LCD panel is that CRT's are generally curved, LCD's are flat. that why there's a curves edge bezel between the CRT front and the glass bezel on the game. I think you need to stay away from this guy.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

arcade games didn’t get good till the 90s

And yet by the end of the 90s, redemption machines started replacing them because people stopped playing them.

#22 2 years ago

LCD’s do suck, there is no point.

Also, with arcade cabs there is no such thing as turn key, they can be more difficult to maintain than pins for sure.

Find a dealer in your area. Tron’s aren’t super rare, but they have gotten pricey. Prob looking at 3k retail.

Best bet is to call Todd Tuckey, he’s the best arcade cab dealer in the world barnone. Buy with confidence.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I would imagine so. Most 90's and onward games I think look better with LCDs.
Sorry I was thinking it from a repair standpoint. But yeah, LCD in a Golden Tee Fore sure why not?

Golden Tee Fore used medium res monitors, looks way better on CRT, the screen is stretched on an LCD and the imperfections of the 3D graphics of that time are magnified.

Nothing beats a CRT, look at Mk2 on a CRT, it’s freaking gorgeous.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Golden Tee Fore used medium res monitors, looks way better on CRT, the screen is stretched on an LCD and the imperfections of the 3D graphics of that time are magnified.
Nothing beats a CRT, look at Mk2 on a CRT, it’s freaking gorgeous.

Sometimes I forget how far CRTs made it into the 2000s before manufacturers made LCD the standard.

I agree, CRT all the way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
12,028 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Displays
Retrocity
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-game-for-a-guy-who-knows-nothing-about-arcade-games?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.