(Topic ID: 261372)

Arcade Auction in Winston-Salem this Weekend Question?

By Oldgoat

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by seeburg220
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1262 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1291 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1264 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1268 (resized).JPG
    00CB6868-93B0-4B12-9327-4886E5EADCD3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

First, not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I got an e-mail regarding the auction up in Winston this weekend. I'm a good 1hr 45 minutes from the fairgrounds (lots of good memories of the Dixie Classic Fair!) so it's a bit of a haul (and I don't like sitting in a car). I'm in the market for a nice older EM arcade project, multi-plaver skeeball, trade stimulator, etc. (not really looking for a pinball). Just curious to get people's take on whether it is worth the drive.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

loriradford used to post the results from the auctions quite a bit. I suspect if you look at their post history you will find some examples like the below thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/winston-auction-results-3-30-19

Well now, that doesn't look too promising.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

EM stuff always goes for really cheap in my experience. I am planning on going too. I will probably be wearing a Chiefs hat. Feel free to say hi if you go.

Not sure if I'm going. If I do I'll look for you. (By the way, I grew up in the Kansas City area...remember well beating the purple people eaters 50 years ago...Go Chiefs!)

#16 4 years ago

I figured there would be something I really wanted, since I did not make the trip. Thankfully, nothing that I would have been interested in purchasing.

#28 4 years ago

I have no idea what the PATZ auction is, when I google it, it appears to be farm equipment? If there are no fees, who eats the cost of the facility, auction personnel, utilities, insurance, security, marketing, etc.?

For me, as long as the costs are all disclosed, I don't care. I just purchased some items at an auction that carried the std 20% "buyer's premium". When you bid it immediately shows your total cost + the fees. I knew what items were worth and bid accordingly based on what my total outlay would be. Likewise, sellers set their reserve to include fees they are obligated to pay. When you buy or sell property, it's the same deal. You may say that the seller pays the commission; however, the reality is that the seller factors in that cost when deciding where to list and what to accept. If there were no commission, the seller would accept a lower price.

At the end of the day, these are just transactions where both buyer and seller agree on a price. The introduction of a third party (auction house, realtor, agent, etc.) simply means the pie is now split three (or more) ways. I think it is reasonable to be upset at how much of the pie goes to the third party; however, it makes no difference in how that piece of the pie is 'built'.

#30 4 years ago

In reading the link, there is an admission charge of $17, so some third party is getting money. Maybe to cover the cost of the venue and insurance? Anyhow, definitely a great deal when you consider how small a purchase one needs to make at these other auctions to incur an expense of $17! Seems like it would be a fun one to attend.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-auction-in-winston-salem-this-weekend-question?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.