Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20201103-124630_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just saw this

They talk about the pinball near the beginning of the video, there other arcade machines in the second half.

Highlights: Retail $500; new announcement coming in 90 days; all available 4th quarter; Haptic feedback; Star Wars will have 10 Star Wars games; Williams/Bally 10 to 12 games; yet to be announced machine 10 games; No Addams Family.

#2 4 years ago

That looks better than the competition in the $500 range. The DMD aspect ratio is weird though. All in all it looks good though. If you get 10-12 games for that $500 thats quite a deal.

#3 4 years ago

Fix the dmd and I may be interested...

#4 4 years ago

I'd be interested in the Bally/Williams one. Depends on the games and if there is a lag issue with the flippers. Could be cool if done well.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

I'd be interested in the Bally/Williams one. Depends on the games and if there is a lag issue with the flippers. Could be cool if done well.

I imagine it's most of the machines they already have implemented in PinballFx3. Something along the lines of:

Medieval Madness
    Attack from Mars
    White Water
    Theatre of Magic
    Cirqus Voltaire
    TOTAN
    Road Show
    No Good Gofers
    Party Zone
    Hurricane
    Monster Bash
    Getaway

Probably forgetting a couple, but not a bad lineup.

#6 4 years ago

That bezel is ginormous

#7 4 years ago

Fixing the DMD seems like it should be really easy. It's just some stretching or alignment issue in software. I can't imagine they would ship games like that, so probably a non-issue.

The bigger question is....why would I spend 500 bucks on it with the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out this year? If these things were expandable in some way, it'd be a lot easier sell in terms of bang for your buck...without that...having to compete for consumer dollars with two new consoles launching right around the same time seems like a fool's errand.

#8 4 years ago

Can't wait to try this one.

#9 4 years ago

Pretty cool but I’d rather just have them focus on more arcade titles like Dragons Lair or 720 degrees. I get enough virtual pinball from TPA and Zen.

#10 4 years ago

720 would be awesome! Those things go for crazy money these days and you can’t fake it with a multicade. Gotta have that offset stick.

#11 4 years ago

Really starting to love these guys. I am probably a day 1 buyer for the B/W machine. NBA Jam is able to be played online against your friends with other NBA Jam machines for FREE. They have also done a great job listening to feedback and improving machines as they go. Each generation seems to be getting better.

#12 4 years ago

I really love what arcade one up is doing! Spreading the arcade/pinball love with people who either can't afford the real thing or just don't have the space or tech knowhow. I'm really holding out for a NFL blitz that's online enabled.. The second they announce that id throw my cash down

#13 4 years ago

The aspect ratio of the DMD screen can't be fixed, its more square than rectangular like it should be. Unless they don't fill the whole window and make the display portion rectangular, that would work but make the display smaller.

There is a big difference playing virtual pinball on a console vs a standup pinball cabinet with flipper buttons. Much better feel on a pinball cabinet. Thats why they are making these. I wouldn't even consider playing virtual pinball on xbox or ps5.

Quoted from Frax:

Fixing the DMD seems like it should be really easy. It's just some stretching or alignment issue in software. I can't imagine they would ship games like that, so probably a non-issue.
    The bigger question is....why would I spend 500 bucks on it with the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out this year? If these things were expandable in some way, it'd be a lot easier sell in terms of bang for your buck...without that...having to compete for consumer dollars with two new consoles launching right around the same time seems like a fool's errand.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The aspect ratio of the DMD screen can't be fixed, its more square than rectangular like it should be. Unless they don't fill the whole window and make the display portion rectangular, that would work but make the display smaller.
    There is a big difference playing virtual pinball on a console vs a standup pinball cabinet with flipper buttons. Much better feel on a pinball cabinet. Thats why they are making these. I wouldn't even consider playing virtual pinball on xbox or ps5.

Its all relative. I played it on my phone quite a bit, and it helped me learn the rules for those games much easier it seemed. I have them on PS4 also, and its not bad. The aspect ratio of the screen takes some getting use to though. I wish they would make it like the phone app and do timed challenges and milestone score challenges. Those modes add a whole new element to the gameplay for me.

#15 4 years ago

Might need one of these for my office. No playfield issues.

#16 4 years ago

As for the announcement in 90 days, I'm assuming it is going to be a Universal Classics package. They had it as part of their display during the January electronics show. Based on their relationship with Zen I can assume that it will contain Jaws, ET, Back to the Future, and more.

#17 4 years ago

I wish they'd just make some nice remakes of full-size machines. Call them LEs or whatever, charge $1000-1500. We've all seen them make monster versions that require stairs to get to the control panel.

#18 4 years ago

$500 is just a tad high for what I'd be willing to spend. Happy to keep an eye out for clearance prices, though.

#19 4 years ago

I think this is great news for us guys whom are limited in space to have a good variety without having to expand our homes.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

My point about the new consoles has nothing to do with virtual pinball on said consoles. The point is there's a limited number of frivolous dollars to go around, and no serious gamer, no matter how cool they think pinball is, is going to choose this thing over a new shiny PS or Xbox. They're not just competing with VP on consoles, they're competing against Halo 27 and Call of Duty 45 for that money...I just don't see it happening. I think it would be a much better window if they were getting these out in the summer, before all that stuff hits....or delay it and wait until the spring when all the console christmas war is over.

As for the DMD...I assume they will scale it to fit the screen over leaving parts of it cut off! They should've just used an appropriate ratio screen, or at least fit the damn bezel to where the DMD actually displays...but like I said..I feel like that's kind of a nitpick.

#21 4 years ago

Haptic feedback is nice but it really needs a gyro for nudging.

#22 4 years ago

I wouldn’t be able to say no to 720 or paperboy. If they did Star Wars hoping that’s a possibility down the line!

#24 4 years ago

Sorry, poor grammar. But thanks! I meant "seeing as they made Star Wars..." it's within the realm of possibility to make other goofy controller games. A road blasters would be neat too.

Back on topic, this could be a nice gateway to get people into the real thing for pinballs. Not my thing but seems cool for the price1

#25 4 years ago

Can't believe they haven't made any driving games yet. Games like Super Sprint where you whip the steering wheel around were awesome.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jerickso77:

Can't believe they haven't made any driving games yet. The grand prix like game where you whip the steering wheel around was awesome.

There was a rumor late last year that arcade1up was working on pole position.

#27 4 years ago

So...much...chimp flipping.

#28 4 years ago

Track and field please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 4 years ago

I wish they could figure out a way to do Daytona USA.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

Track and field please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I’d be all over this!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I wish they could figure out a way to do Daytona USA.

Just use the sit-down cab style they used for Star Wars. Or similar enough, anyways.

Bring it on.

DAAAAAAAAAEEEEYYYYYTOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAA!

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg
    #32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Just use the sit-down cab style they used for Star Wars. Or similar enough, anyways.
    Bring it on.
    DAAAAAAAAAEEEEYYYYYTOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAA![quoted image]

And make them linkable!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

That bezel is ginormous

For real. They could fit a 5 inch bigger screen in there.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jerickso77:

For real. They could fit a 5 inch bigger screen in there.

Have to presume there’s a resolution limit with the hardware it’s running on, or they are sticking to a smaller screen to keep the costs down.

#35 4 years ago

If they make this loadable with the other fx3 pinball games I might consider buying it.
    But, I bought the toy shock one and that really is just a waste of space in my house.
    I'll schlep it to family parties as I don't care what happens to it.
    But, I won't play it at home by myself.

For me its a snob reason. Why should I. I have 8 other pinball machines at my home. And I also have about 50 tables on pinball arcade and I have all the current fx3 pinball tables for bally/williams with the exception of the ones I owned for PBA. And so the virtual tables work better on the ps4 than the toy shock unit.
    So no need to leave my couch.

I just don't think you need a real cab taking up real space, when you can have a real pinball machine in the same space.

#36 4 years ago

So the cabinet art only shows 1 pin, are we sure it’s not only going to be a 1-1 table vs 1 cab many VPs? They’re upright games are only 1-1.

I think I’d want a Generic 1Up Cab if they are doing many VPs per pin

If so, I’ll be getting one. I’m too lazy to build a proper VP cabinet

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

And make them linkable!

If these pins are linked online then this would be an instant buy. I’ve always wanted to play against my brother remotely, that would be cool

#38 4 years ago

Paperboy would be awesome.

#39 4 years ago

Runs android and will be easy to mod with a PC or another open Android device. Would still be a super cheap 3/4 pin pinball box assuming the cab, monitor is decent.

I have a modded A1UP with RetroPie and it’s awesome. I hope to buy this and convert it into a full open vpin.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah I’d be all over this!

I'd be a day 1 buyer of track and field

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The default comparison for these virtual pins will be against real pins, and at that point $500 is way easier to accept. Besides, aren't consoles becoming slightly obsolete in competing with pc gaming? If cost was a concern in that scenario, you weren't likely to buy a $500 virtual pin anyway.

Feels like the target audience for arcade1up is people with a good chunk of discretionary income. And at the $200-$500 price point, they are almost disposable. They also sell on OfferUp quite quickly to recoup half of what you paid

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

If these pins are linked online then this would be an instant buy. I’ve always wanted to play against my brother remotely, that would be cool

Would be sick to get the pins linked the same way NBA Jams is supposed to be! Would make our Golden Tee online tournaments look kinda limp by way of comparison.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So the cabinet art only shows 1 pin, are we sure it’s not only going to be a 1-1 table vs 1 cab many VPs? They’re upright games are only 1-1.
    I think I’d want a Generic 1Up Cab if they are doing many VPs per pin
    If so, I’ll be getting one. I’m too lazy to build a proper VP cabinet

They already said it would have 10-12 games per cab. Various cab artwork designs will be available.

#44 4 years ago

They've said these will have wifi connectivity too which leads me to believe they can be updated with more games. I'd love a service like pinball arcade where you can purchase new games on the cab as they come out for $5.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

They already said it would have 10-12 games per cab. Various cab artwork designs will be available.

Having a lot of games will be important. I think most people only want to buy one of these with all the good games. What's the point of having multiple virtual pins? I might be interested in one if it plays well and on sale.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

Besides, aren't consoles becoming slightly obsolete in competing with pc gaming?

I guess that depends on if you're a professional gamer or not. If you absolutely INSIST on running 4k max-settings HDR raytraced games with 240hz GSYNC display....then yes...PC is currently the winner. If you don't want to sit at a desk all day (or already do, like me), then you're probably still using your console to some degree. Aside from Final Fantasy 14, Overwatch, and.......*scratch head*.... Diablo 3......almost all of my gaming is on PS4 Pro or Switch. I don't expect that to change anytime soon, because a new console costs LESS THAN A GODS-DAMNED GAMING MONITOR these days.

HELL, this Arcade1UP virtual pin will cost less than most decent gaming monitors! I mean...if you really want to go spend 2k on a video card, and 750-1500 on a monitor...go right the hell ahead. But I'm primarily playing on a 1080p plasma, and a 4k LED tv, and my approaching 10 year old 1440p 60hz monitor.

#47 4 years ago

Sub $1K for a VP that plays 10+ good Pins is chump change in the IRL Pinball word. Would not replace IRL, but be a great addition for those of us out of room. Sitting a desk playing pinball is out for me. I have an Xbox for that.

3 months later
    #48 3 years ago

Any updates?

4 months later
    #49 3 years ago

End of the month.

#50 3 years ago

Ordering the AFM cab on day 1... they did replace Funhouse with Hurricane though.

Screenshot_20201103-124630_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201103-124630_Facebook (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-1up-williams-bally-pinball-ceo-interview?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.