• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0297 (resized).jpg
IMG_0296 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi folks. Am repairing a Gottlieb King Ping.

The Ten Thousands reel "struggles/hesitates" to reset due to the connection of switch 1A (if I simply short the switch using a jumper, the reel clicks over cleanly)

I can see a clear blue arc. So I cleaned with a flex stone. But still arc, and pits/marks quickly. So I have cleaned with a small file (as these are the larger contacts) until nice and shiny - and I think the gap and wipe motion is good (see photos), but again after the first couple of contacts (which are good) it starts to arc/pit again.

Switch in question is the upper (although the lower one also isnt great - thats the 5,000 score advance, but lets focus on 1 thing at a time)
IMG_0296 (resized).jpgIMG_0296 (resized).jpg IMG_0297 (resized).jpgIMG_0297 (resized).jpg

I have never had this problem, usually once I get both sides nice and shiny, check gap, etc I'm good.

Any tips here - right now I am in a continuous loop!

In the end I could replace the switch with new, but was hoping not to.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

The Ten Thousands reel "struggles/hesitates" to reset due to the connection of switch 1A (if I simply short the switch using a jumper, the reel clicks over cleanly)

I'd be surprised if the score motor switch is the issue because the same switch provides pulses to all four score reels during reset. Do the other score reels have an issue too? I'd be more suspicious of the A relay switch that only that score reel uses, or the Runout switch or perhaps some mechanical issue.

Quoted from 4Max:

I can see a clear blue arc. So I cleaned with a flex stone. But still arc, and pits/marks quickly. So I have cleaned with a small file (as these are the larger contacts) until nice and shiny - and I think the gap and wipe motion is good (see photos), but again after the first couple of contacts (which are good) it starts to arc/pit again.

Arcing in a high current AC circuit is normal, and is part of the reason the contacts are larger in the first place. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dremmel-for-contacts#post-4235465 for details.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

A couple thoughts. Your middle one, the blades aren't sitting flat. I used to use a jewelers file on them and squeeze the blades together and file away, giving a nice flat seat.

The bottom blade looks burned around the contact. You might try cleaning the blade good and silver soldering the contact to it so it's making a good electrical contact.

A lot of work. But if those have hit the end of their life. You might replace the contacts with tungsten ones from high power leaf blade switches.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might replace the contacts with tungsten ones from high power leaf blade switches.

pbresource.com has tungsten faced contacts
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#5 2 years ago

It looks like the backer blade on the second switch down is touching the upper switch.

#6 2 years ago

MarkG good to hear from you! I am certainly out of practice - of course you are right, that 1C resets all reels so it's not the switch (doh!).

I just checked that by manually setting all the reels to 1. On reset the others reset fine. And...I could feel it was harder to pull in the 10,000 reel manually - so, I bet you are right with something mechanical - full strip down of the reel tomorrow.

You are, as always, a star. Thanks also to the other replies, but next step is reel mechanics. (Also, that "backer blade" is the paper leaf, not metal, so all good there)

#7 2 years ago

MarkG of course you were right! Stripped, cleaned, reassembled score reel, and resets like a champ. Thank you as always, and have a lovely xmas/holidays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arc-pit-burnish-repeat-ugh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.