front_cab_after_touch_up.JPG
front_cab_before.jpg
image.jpg
totandoor.jpg
100_1237.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago

Calico, I was just looking these up and Michael's carries them. Was going to go over today. Did you use the frosted or glossy? Do you need a brush or is the pen good enough?

#28 10 years ago

Ok so I went to Michael's today. The salesperson was actually helpful. I dunno maybe these craft stores have people that actually know the product...I'm so used to Home Depot. I asked her about the product Calico mentioned above and she said they stopped selling it recently. She then pointed me to three products: Michael's brand pens, Sharpie pens, and Martha Stewart brushes. All three products have the same purpose just a different label and way of applying. I went with the two pens, Michael's and Sharpie. I tried them on a surface I didn't care about.

Michael's pens really suck. I thought they would be ok because they're generic and half the price of the Sharpie but I was wrong. The paint doesn't seem to have a steady flow and its hard to get in intricate places. It also didnt bring uniform strokes like a marker would. Instead you had to hold it so a bunch of paint came out on the cabinet and then push it around. It sucked and the red looks bad, more like a Robitussin fuchsia color...haha.

The Sharpie seemed better. After getting the tip full of paint it goes on pretty smoothly. Unfortunately I couldn't use that one sharpie because the color didnt match.

Overall, I still think this could work for totan because the red part of the graphic really just needs dabbing the end of the pen in small places...especially on the sand part. May try the Sharpie next to see how it looks.

#30 10 years ago

Thinking of doing that. Those pens are expensive but maybe they have a set.

4 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

I tried these pens on a game I didn't care much for. I found some problems I had with them...and maybe one of you can help to show me where I went wrong. The pens were inconsistent with flow so I had to keep shaking and pushing the point in to bring more paint out of it. The paint was very runny and never gave a consistent paint pattern. For exanple, if I were to draw the pen in a straight line down the cab it would start as a blob of red, then thin out still showing the color underneath it. If I were to try and add more the pen would either smear the existing paint or the felt tip would even remove the paint I just put on. When I had to take the pen off and put back on it would show clearly where I did that (start/stop marks). It just looks like someone did a bad color job with any old marker. From afar it doesn't look too bad but up close it looks not so great on my part.

I really want to try this on my totan. Did you just dab the pen a bunch of times, did you run the pen extremely slowly in a straight line, did you do multiple coats?

Thanks!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
$ 37.50
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arabian-nights-cabinet-art-retouch?tu=Arcadegarage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.