20160912_204526 (resized).jpg
game front (resized).jpg
20160912_204521 (resized).jpg
20160912_162639 (resized).jpg
20160912_204513 (resized).jpg
20160912_162623 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello!
I finally aquired a Bally Sea Ray, brought it from sweden and to our club in Oslo (Norway) yesterday. Its in decent shape considering it has nearly 90 000 plays

Straight to the point:
When we play a two player game, whenever the second player is up, the player relay in the backbox locks on and makes this buzzing sound. Player 2 can still play the game, and when we manually push the relay it locks of and everything is as normal.

I have added a video of it here:

Sorry for the orientation.

Does anyone know what may cause this, why the player relay locks on?

Else, below is what we have done before ending up with the last issue above, for anyone interested:

1. Immediately I saw that both wires to the "trough" kickout was loose, so I soldered them on. Then I checked the fuses, all good. Cleaned the jones plugs according to standard procedure.

2. When first starting the game, the score reels reset to 0 but then the reset relay in the backbox kept pulsing repeatedly.
Solution: The reason was that the top switch on one of player 2's score reels was closed, whereas the other reels were open. Adjusted the switch to be open, and the reset stopped pulsing. Restarted the game and pushed start, reels reset as they should and ball was fed to the plunger lane.

Apparently an earlier owner had made a hack to the plunger lane switch, since it is broken of just below the playfield so the ball will never push it down making it open. They "solved" this by adjusting the switch so its always open instead of replacing the switch.of course.
This in turn renders the outlane gate useless, since as soon as the gate is open, the game believes the ball is in the plunger lane so it closes it. Easy fix, but does anyone know what type and where this plunger lane switch can be bought?

3. After turning the game of,lifting the playfield and discovering the above switch issue, we added some leds above the score reels, put down the playfield and when pressing the power button, nothing happened. Totaly dark, nothing happened when pressing left flipper button. Troubleshooting revealed that a wire coming of one of the stand up targets (if i recall correctly) had gotten loose, probably during handling the playfield up/down, it was also badly soldered. Soldered it on, and the game lit up again as it should.

But now when we pressed start button, nothing happened either. My friend pushed on the reset relay in the bottom of the cabinet, and suddenly it spit out the ball and it worked as it should. probably just needed some manual start help, after all these years.

Now, the only (obvious) issue we havent figured out is the player relay as mentioned in the top of this post.

Also below are some more photos
Thanks!

Morten

#2 7 years ago

20160912_162623 (resized).jpg20160912_162623 (resized).jpg

20160912_204513 (resized).jpg20160912_204513 (resized).jpg

20160912_162639 (resized).jpg20160912_162639 (resized).jpg

20160912_204521 (resized).jpg20160912_204521 (resized).jpg

game front (resized).jpggame front (resized).jpg

20160912_204526 (resized).jpg20160912_204526 (resized).jpg

player relay (resized).jpgplayer relay (resized).jpg

player switch02 (resized).jpgplayer switch02 (resized).jpg

plunger switch01 (resized).jpgplunger switch01 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Hi
Dont have that pin, but would suspect the player relay must lock on to transfer scoring to the 2nd player reels.
buzzing may be caused by dirty contacts, or mis adjusted blades,"causing too much pressure on plate"??? just a guess.
or, maybe ware on bottom of plate???
have you tightened the switch stacks?
the lane switch activator looks like most I have seen, and should be available "also the blades", from PBR

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for your input Dr_of_Style,
I also got another comment on facebook that the relay probably should lock on to transfer the scoring to player two
Will have a closer look at the relay, switch stack and contacts and see if I can tighten up something.

I have already ordered the rollover lane wire switch from bestifpinball, so looking forward to get it up and going.

#5 7 years ago

I'm thinking its a spring issue. Maybe the short extension spring on the relay is too strong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aquired-a-bally-sea-rayminor-issue-with-player-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.