You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
flip in white.jpg
flip in blue.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just ordering some plastics to replace discolored ones on a 1970 Gottlieb Aquarius which brings me to a question....

I have seen dozens of photos of these machines, most of which have the 2" "Flipper" with blue lettering. I have seen a couple with just plain white ones as well. After scrutinizing the original sales brochure from Gottlieb, they look like just plain white on the flyer.

So... I am inclined to go the pure white to stay original but I really do like the lettering, (which I currently have).

Does any one know if Gottlieb mixed and matched these styles on any given machine?

#3 9 years ago

These are the two...

flip in blue.jpgflip in blue.jpgflip in white.jpgflip in white.jpg

#4 9 years ago

I note Vic Camp appears to have run with the blue flipper-that would be good enough for me!!

#5 9 years ago

The blank version of that flipper bat was only used on upper flippers like on King Pin, El Dorado, Joker Poker, Countdown, etc.

Aquarius would have come with the versions imprinted with "Flipper".

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the info MikeO

Blue print it is then.

Quoted from wayner:

I note Vic Camp appears to have run with the blue flipper-that would be good enough for me!!

That was exactly my first thought when I checked out his photos as well Wayner.

#7 9 years ago

Here's what's on our Aquarius.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Here's what's on our Aquarius.

image.jpg 119 KB

Looks like the blue ink on the border/lettering is worn off completely.........or did they offer that flipper with no blue ink when that game was produced?

#9 9 years ago

Although there are four of the plain bats as lame guides at the top of the playfield.

#10 9 years ago

I've seen them both ways. Inked and not. I believe the original is raised letters, not inked. I suggest speaking to Steve Young to confirm.

#11 9 years ago

Original was raised letters with ink.

There were no raised letters without ink.

#12 9 years ago

they did make them with red ink for a short time

#13 9 years ago

I went through the Internet Pinball database and searched 1970 Gottlieb units. Pretty much all the units are showing the trademark blue letter flippers on them. Only real exception was "Baseball" which looks pure white but that may be them trying to make it look like a bat.

At any rate... I don't think a guy can go wrong with the blue lettered flipper, which is iconic of the era IMHO.

#14 9 years ago

I would go with blue for sure..........

#15 9 years ago

Definitely the blue lettered flat top ones.

#16 9 years ago

Just a quick side note to this for any Aquarius owners...

Aquarius has 4 "flipper" bodies on top which act as lane guides. All four have bulbs underneath to light them.
I was just speaking to Steve at PBR who let me know that you need to use Old New Stock on these as the newly manufactured versions do not let the light through. He of course has a secret supply of these for that very purpose....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aquarius-flippers-which-are-original and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.