the-lone-ranger (resized).jpg
c7259063438e9515e931807472aa9871 (resized).jpg
wateruntitled (resized).png
Soul_Man_1986 (resized).png
white-chicks-movie-poster-2004-1010251874 (resized).jpg
White Chicks (resized).jpg
Heston clings02 (resized).jpg
poster2b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#12 5 years ago

There's now 10 good seasons of The Simpsons and 15 bad ones. It's probably time to pull the rip cord on the whole thing, really.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

“The idea that anyone, young or old, past or present, was bullied or teased based on the character of Apu, it just really makes me sad,” he said. “It was certainly not my intention. I wanted to spread laughter and joy.”
Hank Azaria on playing Apu.
Can you believe this guy? What a horrible human being.

Truly a monster.

Look, we all love Apu. But it's THIRTY YEARS now...things change. What's acceptable changes. We've been over this a million times.

The Simpsons was an amazing show. But it's now been terrible about 3X longer than it was genius. Hank Azaria truly looks like he's tired of taking part in the minstrel show that is Apu, so why give him guff over it?

I'm tired of people telling other people what is acceptable for them to be offended about. If Indian-Americans say a middle-aged white guy doing an Indian minstrel show offends them, I believe them. Why can't you?

Why does anybody here care? We'd all be better off if fewer terrible simpsons episodes make it into syndication. Once every 2 or 3 years I watch a new episode of the Simpsons and every time I'm surprised by how bad it is. Are you guys honestly still watching this show?

Pull the plug already!

It's also time to pull the plug on this thread, since it's predictably turned into a place for people to air their moronic grievances about how black people have their own awards shows and how you can't grab the receptionist's ass at work anymore. Why does this always happen? Come on Pinside...we can be better than this.

I know some of you guys personally. I KNOW we can be better than this. We only have to try, just a little.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apu is a character on two popular pinball machines. No if you like, you can move along.

First they came for my Gottlieb Minstrel Man, and I did not own a Minstrel Man, so I did nothing. Except complain about how black people can use the N word and I can't.

Then, they came for my Amigo, and I said, Aye Caramba! Not my problem. Also I whined about how I can't call the guy at the Hunan Palace "oriental" anymore.

Then they came for my Bally Boomerang, but I don't own a boomerang. I also remarked that I don't really know what an aborigine is, but if I did, I wouldn't be offended because why is everybody so sensitive?!?!

And then they came for my Simpsons.

And there was nobody left to stop them from slapping painter's tape all over the Apus on the cabinet.

Really makes you think.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Race, color, accent, sexual preference, etc. -- none of that bothers me.
I just tire of everyone that claims to be tolerant/open minded telling me what I can and can not be tolerant/open minded about.

Who exactly is telling people to be "tolerant," and then being intolerant when it comes to Apu?

Please cite specific examples as it relates to Apu. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

#80 5 years ago

I'm tired of intolerant people being tolerant of racist stuff.

I mean, you are intolerant! You are racist, stupid, and ignorant. But when someone says Apu isn't racist, suddenly you become tolerant because you agree with them!!!!

Such hypocrites!!! I find it offensive.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

"Pinside... Pinside never changes."

What can you tell someone who don't understand how people marching in the streets with torches chanting "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" is different than a Miss Black USA pageant?

I guess you just have to be intolerant of their outlook, even if it clashes with your incessant preaching of tolerance.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

While you're busy being the thought police, try not to be offended by my apathy and total disregard for this nonsense, while I save my concern for real problems in life.

I wouldn't expect you to see the irony of this statement.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Says the guy intolerant of intolerance.

I'm not tolerant of unrecognized irony, sorry.

Or of people calling things ironic when they aren't. So watch it!

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

It is more of a general statement.
If you want groups trying to tell you how to think look to the Media, Hollywood, The Educational System, Misc. Activist Groups, etc.
My tolerance for this thread is about up, so I'm moving on.
Purple Squishies anyone? I'm buying.

Oh I don't fall for that hollywood BS. When I want people to tell me how to think and give me some enlightened insight I just come here!

I tolerate your squishee joke, as long as it's not delivered in a fake Indian accent.

Quoted from o-din:

We should really take a second look at who our heroes really are.

What, no Italian intolerant-of-litter Native American?! I also would have accepted Charlton Heston playing a Mexican.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I want to see a black person play a white person in a movie....

Any other requests?

white-chicks-movie-poster-2004-1010251874 (resized).jpgwhite-chicks-movie-poster-2004-1010251874 (resized).jpg

Anybody who wants to see a white person "get away" with blackface should watch Tropic Thunder. Really funny movie.

And for some reason Robert Downey was "allowed" to do it. I think it goes to show the "where will it end?!" folks that there's a right way and a wrong way to approach this stuff.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What about this classic comedy from the 80s for those that have such fond memories of that time?

This movie was awful!

But I did think it was interesting that they tried it, and mostly got away with it. I did like when he shows up for a date and all his parents can see is Prince gyrating on the kitchen table (even if the bit was ripped off from the family dinner scene in Annie Hall)

#113 5 years ago

Clearly we need to set up a Pinside Tolerance/Intolerance film festival. Who wants to curate?

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think you need to look up the definition of racist.
One of the main problems these days is the large amount of people casually and incorrectly throwing around the word racist.
Sensible people know that by overusing a word with no regard to its true meaning the word loses its meaning. Is that what you want?
Racism is hateful and vile. Save the label for the truly deserving.

You make some points. But just as bad is when people casually dismiss claims of racism, or causally dismiss people's claims of being offended by stuff. There's a big middle ground here but everybody is more comfortable clinging to the edges - just look at the bulk of this thread.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

What I am saying is that society and PC says if you are not attracted to a trans person or LGBTQ+ then you are a sexist horrible person.

Nobody says that. Where did you come up with that?

Please cite examples.

Or just call me some names and come up with hypothetical PC situations that actually don't exist, whatever works for you.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I dont think it's about being atracted....it seems to be more about wanting to be acknowledged.

YOU MONSTER!

Where will it end?!?!

#173 5 years ago

Next, on Pinside-

The barely literate tell us all why we should fear the Gay Agenda! Don't miss it!

#180 5 years ago

How many times can you call people "libs" in one thread without being ejected?

There are rules!!!! This isn't Thunderdome!!!

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Why do you want me kicked out of the thread? You are so much smarter than me, am I that threatening? I'm sorry do you want a hug? Because I'm sure Cait can ease your pain.

It's simply not allowed to attack people politically here. There are rules. You aren't allowed to call me a "lib" and I'm not allowed to call you a right wing nutjob or a homophobe who's obsession with all things gay makes us all question your true sexuality. It's pretty clear.

I don't want you to get kicked out of the thread but you should follow the rules.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Lol nice the classic jab. "You are fighting your own sexuality". Never heard that before. The tolerant left strikes again

Not only do you not know "trys" isn't a word, you also don't know what Tolerant means.

Hint: It doesn't mean you have to agree with people who have different opinons.

#198 5 years ago

Someone always brings up Blazing Saddles.

It's a comedy classic, and clearly, has an anti-prejudice agenda. That's the whole point of the movie, not that "the N word is funny." Thought at certain points in the flick it sure is. Just like the whole point of All in the Family was that it's funny to laugh at racist idiots like Archie Bunker, not that it's funny to be racist. Lots of people miss the point entirely.

I think you could get away with All in the Family today. Blazing Saddles I'm not sure, but the sincerity of the film makes me think they could. Mel Brooks is an American treasure.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apu-is-now-up-against-the-ropes?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.