c7259063438e9515e931807472aa9871 (resized).jpg
wateruntitled (resized).png
Soul_Man_1986 (resized).png
white-chicks-movie-poster-2004-1010251874 (resized).jpg
White Chicks (resized).jpg
Heston clings02 (resized).jpg
poster2b (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

As interesting as this is to explore this topic I feel like it's veering too far away from pinball. Maybe we can incorporate the two.
What pins would these Apu haters dislike the most?
Simpsons
Diner
Ripleys
Big Juicy Melons
Plenty more I'm sure

Roadshow.

#152 6 years ago

Lol, just a matter of time and being heterosexual will be sexist. The worlds gone f ing mad and I dont think the left will like what happens in the end. Then it will be we are being a casual sexist and identifying as God knows what. That is the most dangerous lol.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If kids get mocked because of Apu, that's not cool. I doubt that your kids are at school getting mocked with Homer's voice. They can do something with Apu to keep the character and make him less of a casual racism caricature. Representation is important, but proper representation is the way to go about it.
There's real danger in casual racism. If you can't see that, it doesn't make it untrue.

Dude this is weak. Kids get mocked at school every day. For being fat, ugly, stinky, stupid you name it. Everyone needs to quit using their race to claim victim. Everyone is bullied for varying reasons even though it is wrong. Not just because of race.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

You realize my point was that an instance of the term “casual racism” was used as long ago as oct 26th in the year 2009 in response to someone saying it must be a new term.

You realize that 10/26/2009 is less than nine whole years ago. No alternative facts are allowed in mathematics. Your saying "at LEAST" was the issue, if you hadn't added that qualifier I would have been fine with the rounding.

#155 6 years ago

This just confirms my suspicions. Anyone can submit definitions to Urban Dictionary. It's not a real dictionary. Someone came up with this term, added it to the Urban Dictionary and it caught on. More manufctured divisiveness. Divide and conquer. We're all being turned against each other.

(Edit) NEARLY Nine years doesn’t feel like a “relatively new buzz term”

Language evolves over time, unfortunately people’s views aren’t seeming to keep up.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Lol, just a matter of time and being heterosexual will be sexist. The worlds gone f ing mad and I dont think the left will like what happens in the end. Then it will be we are being a casual sexist and identifying as God knows what. That is the most dangerous lol.

As a lifelong bartender, I can tell you for a fact that women deal with garbage from "nice guys" on a nightly basis. And that's from the sober men.

Its interesting to watch man be over the top, creepy to a random stranger, yet be completely oblivious to the fact that he's doing anything wrong.

I could tell stories for days. Your wives and daughters and sisters have stories to tell, im sure.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You realize that 10/26/2009 is less than nine whole years ago. No alternative facts are allowed in mathematics. Your saying "at LEAST" was the issue, if you hadn't added that qualifier I would have been fine with the rounding.

Math was never my strong suit, and yes sir you got me on a technicality, I should have said almost nine years.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

As a lifelong bartender, I can tell you for a fact that women deal with garbage from "nice guys " on a nightly basis. And that's from the sober men.
Its interesting to watch man be over the top, creepy to a random stranger, yet be completely oblivious to the fact that he's doing anything wrong.
I could tell stories for days. Your wives and daughters and sisters have stories to tell, im sure.

Not the point. But I do agree with you. What I am saying is that society and PC says if you are not attracted to a trans person or LGBTQ+ then you are a sexist horrible person.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

What I am saying is that society and PC says if you are not attracted to a trans person or LGBTQ+ then you are a sexist horrible person.

Nobody says that. Where did you come up with that?

Please cite examples.

Or just call me some names and come up with hypothetical PC situations that actually don't exist, whatever works for you.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Not the point. But I do agree with you. What I am saying is that society and PC says if you are not attracted to a trans person or LGBTQ+ then you are a sexist horrible person.

I dont think it's about being atracted....it seems to be more about wanting to be acknowledged.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I dont think it's about being atracted....it seems to be more about wanting to be acknowledged.

YOU MONSTER!

Where will it end?!?!

#162 6 years ago

I know a LOT of "casual racists".

"Oh hey, im not racist!"

"did you see how DARK this neighborhood is?"

I still think its funny a bunch of white nerds are debating racism.

#163 6 years ago

As a huge Happy Days fan from the 70's, my favorite character was Sticks, the drummer.

Therefore, I cannot possibly be racist.

"If I wanna have a colored guy at my party......."

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody says that. Where did you come up with that?
Please cite examples.
Or just call me some names and come up with hypothetical PC situations that actually don't exist, whatever works for you.

It will be a thing soon just like casual racism's debut since 2009. Lol I dont put anything past libs anymore

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Ironically M*A*S*H had a character named Spear Chucker in the first season. Gone by the second and never explained?

Don't forget Token on South Park.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

a bunch of white nerds

Don't include me in that stereotype please!

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

They have their friends and family for that

#169 6 years ago

Simpsons
Diner
Ripleys
Big Juicy Melons

I can enjoy all of those games while at the same time being critical of their employed stereotypes and the cultural contexts in which they exist.
OK, Diner sucks, but I digress...

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

As a lifelong bartender, I can tell you for a fact that women deal with garbage from "nice guys" on a nightly basis. And that's from the sober men.

How many people have you seen that were suspected roofied? Over the last decade I have encountered so many other women who have things slipped into their drinks. (Off topic I know, but curious)

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

What I am saying is that society and PC says if you are not attracted to a trans person or LGBTQ+ then you are a sexist horrible person.

that's the poutiest thing I've read all day.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

that's the poutiest thing I've read all day.

Well at least you acknowledge my point that their are those who think this. Pretty sure their will be a lot of pouty people when society trys to make this turn.

#173 6 years ago

Next, on Pinside-

The barely literate tell us all why we should fear the Gay Agenda! Don't miss it!

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

They have their friends and family for that

Or humanity.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

How many people have you seen that were suspected roofied? Over the last decade I have encountered so many other women who have things slipped into their drinks. (Off topic I know, but curious)

Dont really get that in my environment. The altitude here can be its own roofie on men and women.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Next, on Pinside-
The barely literate tell us all why we should fear the Gay Agenda! Don't miss it!

And libs tell us how we are not smart enough to make our own decisions. So they need to be made for us. Tune in!

#177 6 years ago

As interesting as this is to explore this topic I feel like it's veering too far away from pinball. Maybe we can incorporate the two.
What pins would these Apu haters dislike the most?
Simpsons
Diner
Ripleys
Big Juicy Melons
Plenty more I'm sure

Don't forget the callouts in Cactus Canyon.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

And libs tell us how we are not smart enough to make our own decisions. So they need to be made for us. Tune in!

Gonna make you gaymarry your gun.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Don't forget the callouts in Cactus Canyon.

Shit, just about every modern pinball machine has what some would say is political incorrectness in them.

We aren't fooling anybody!

#180 6 years ago

How many times can you call people "libs" in one thread without being ejected?

There are rules!!!! This isn't Thunderdome!!!

#181 6 years ago

I played Iron Maiden in Oklahoma....when Run to the Hills came on, I felt bad....Does that make me racist or sensitive?

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Gonna make you gaymarry your gun.

You could sure try, well see how that works out for ya.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This isn't Thunderdome!!!

Around here it's more like Gulag.

Gulag (resized).pngGulag (resized).png

#184 6 years ago

Comet
Sopranos
Rob Zombie

#185 6 years ago

Comet
Sopranos
Rob Zombie

Ripleys-

"A roller skating penguin"

Kind of offensive to all those penguins that can't rollerskate.

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How many times can you call people "libs" in one thread without being ejected?
There are rules!!!! This isn't Thunderdome!!!

Why do you want me kicked out of the thread? You are so much smarter than me, am I that threatening? I'm sorry do you want a hug? Because I'm sure Cait can ease your pain.

#187 6 years ago

111 (resized).png111 (resized).png

#188 6 years ago

It's not great being ignorant, but to be PROUDLY and militantly ignorant takes a special lack of regard for society. If you don't "get" why it's wrong to be sexist, casually racist, all out racist, or to slam people about gender identity or sexual attraction, that says far more about your own level of self-education than it does about anybody or anything else. There's simply too much information and too many voices out there that will happily explain why poor behavior is indeed poor behavior. Ignoring it only makes you look more and more like a slack-jawed yokel as the days go by and society leaves you behind.

Believe me, it's a better life when you just allow others to be as comfortable as you are. Their emotional safety and physical comfort doesn't take away from you at all. If your happiness hinges on the preservation of a fictional character from a show long past its prime, you really don't know what it's like to have true worry in life. Open your eyes and see how the rest of the world lives and what true struggle is.

#189 6 years ago

Blah. My problem with all this crap is that it's comedy.

It has to be ok to poke fun at everything in comedy. EVERYTHING.

If you start whittling off topics that are somehow out of bounds, someone will always make an argument for whatever their pet cause is.

#190 6 years ago

Is there really anything more offensive than a white European pretending he understands
the plight of native American people?

"Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom the stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attack"

"Raping the women and wasting the men
The only good Injuns are tame
Selling them whiskey and taking their gold
Enslaving the young and destroying the old"

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not great being ignorant, but to be PROUDLY and militantly ignorant takes a special lack of regard for society. If you don't "get" why it's wrong to be sexist, casually racist, all out racist, or to slam people about gender identity or sexual attraction, that says far more about your own level of self-education than it does about anybody or anything else. There's simply too much information and too many voices out there that will happily explain why poor behavior is indeed poor behavior. Ignoring it only makes you look more and more like a slack-jawed yokel as the days go by and society leaves you behind.
Believe me, it's a better life when you just allow others to be as comfortable as you are. Their emotional safety and physical comfort doesn't take away from you at all. If your happiness hinges on the preservation of a fictional character from a show long past its prime, you really don't know what it's like to have true worry in life. Open your eyes and see how the rest of the world lives and what true struggle is.

Really well put, I 100% agree with you.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Why do you want me kicked out of the thread? You are so much smarter than me, am I that threatening? I'm sorry do you want a hug? Because I'm sure Cait can ease your pain.

It's simply not allowed to attack people politically here. There are rules. You aren't allowed to call me a "lib" and I'm not allowed to call you a right wing nutjob or a homophobe who's obsession with all things gay makes us all question your true sexuality. It's pretty clear.

I don't want you to get kicked out of the thread but you should follow the rules.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's simply not allowed to attack people politically here. There are rules. You aren't allowed to call me a "lib" and I'm not allowed to call you a right wing nutjob or a homophobe who's obsession with all things gay makes us all question your true sexuality. It's pretty clear.
I don't want you to get kicked out of the thread but you should follow the rules.

Lol nice the classic jab. "You are fighting your own sexuality". Never heard that before. The tolerant left strikes again.

All I said was the PC crowd will cry the sexist foul, when a heterosexual is not attracted to something they are not. Thanks for validating my theory guys.

#194 6 years ago

Grounds keeper Willie is a stereotype of Scottish people.
I am of Scottish decent.
Am I offended? No.
Why?
Because I have a sense of humor.

Get over yourself and laugh a little more.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Lol nice the classic jab. "You are fighting your own sexuality". Never heard that before. The tolerant left strikes again

Not only do you not know "trys" isn't a word, you also don't know what Tolerant means.

Hint: It doesn't mean you have to agree with people who have different opinons.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Grounds keeper Willie is a stereotype of Scottish people.
I am of Scottish decent.
Am I offended? No.
Why?
Because I have a sense of humor.
Get over yourself and laugh a little more.

I agree. I'm Irish-American and I don't get upset over their depiction of the Leprechaun.

Also, this:

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Blah. My problem with all this crap is that it's comedy.

comedy ages the fastest, and is never immune to critique nor historical reflection. If I had a nickel for every comedian whining about time moving forward I'd be in on Maiden NIB.

#198 6 years ago

Someone always brings up Blazing Saddles.

It's a comedy classic, and clearly, has an anti-prejudice agenda. That's the whole point of the movie, not that "the N word is funny." Thought at certain points in the flick it sure is. Just like the whole point of All in the Family was that it's funny to laugh at racist idiots like Archie Bunker, not that it's funny to be racist. Lots of people miss the point entirely.

I think you could get away with All in the Family today. Blazing Saddles I'm not sure, but the sincerity of the film makes me think they could. Mel Brooks is an American treasure.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you could get away with All in the Family today.

That would be cool.

dXkjytG (resized).pngdXkjytG (resized).png

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Yes, who needs the libs when you get some guy to tell you how to live every Sunday morning.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apu-is-now-up-against-the-ropes/page/4?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.