Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Black (resized).jpg
    Olive Green (resized).jpg
    Yellow (resized).jpg
    White (resized).jpg
    Slimer Green (resized).jpg
    Sky Light Blue (resized).jpg
    Red (resized).jpg
    Royal Blue (resized).jpg
    Purple (resized).jpg
    Matte Gray (resized).jpg
    Orange (resized).jpg
    Pine Green (resized).jpg
    Green Green (resized).jpg
    20201101_154249703_iOS (resized).jpg
    20201101_154235575_iOS (resized).jpg
    IMG_0639 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm making available my own take on an apron add-on to help prevent clear coat damage and are intended for your late-model Stern game.

Product splash in redProduct splash in red

This specific product is intended to fit on any Stern metal apron that uses the through-playfield threaded/riveted "swivel" bolts, as shown below, and can be used on plastic aprons as well, if desired.

Stern swivel bolt mounting pegStern swivel bolt mounting peg

The issue that these Edgers solve is to provide a layer of protection between the sharp metal edge of the apron and the mating/resting surface on the playfield. In shopping my games, I noticed that every single one of my machines with a metal apron was suffering from wear at that exact point and the apron was eating into the clear coat on the playfield (see second picture). Time, play and movement would accelerate this issue, but I found it as recently on my BM66 that I purchased NIB at the end of Stern's last run.

Here's what what I noticed on my Ghostbusters playfield when I removed the apron (my BM66, being newer was less, but still noticeable):

Ugh...Ugh...

My design accounts for installation height with the apron and the pinball contact point on the apron and does not interfere in any way with ball travel down the apron face. These "clip" right onto the apron bottom edge and then become a press fit once the apron is tightened back down. They allow for factory mounting hardware to be retained and are a very quick installation in that regard.

These are measured and marked for the left or right side of the apron (markings go to the rear of the playfield so they aren't visible when installed) and are printed with enhanced-strength PLA at a high infill density for durability. Being a softer material than the playfield or the apron, they will move with the flex of the apron and the playfield and make a fantastic accent item if color-matched to the game in question.

Here's the install on my BM66:

BM66 in RedBM66 in Red

BM66 in RedBM66 in Red

Here's the install on my Ghostbusters:

Ghostbusters in PurpleGhostbusters in Purple

Ghostbusters in PurpleGhostbusters in Purple

These are currently available in the following colors:

Black
    BlackBlack

Red
    RedRed

Orange
    OrangeOrange

Purple
    PurplePurple

Yellow
    YellowYellow

Royal Blue
    Royal BlueRoyal Blue

Light Blue
    Light / Sky BlueLight / Sky Blue

Green Green
    Green GreenGreen Green

"Slimer" Light Green
    Slimer Light GreenSlimer Light Green

Pine Green
    Pine GreenPine Green

Olive Green
    Olive GreenOlive Green

Matte Gray
    Matte GrayMatte Gray

White
    WhiteWhite

I'll be adding some additional colors (pink, etc.) if demand warrants.

Almost a Rainbow?Almost a Rainbow?

These are priced at $6/set.

All shipping will be via USPS First Class mail with tracking provided.
    I'm happy to ship internationally, but that would be at calculated cost for the selected destination. Please contact me and I'll get you a quote!

You can place your order via my Pinside store link - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1192-apron-envy/04424-apron-edgers-stern-metal-aprons-with-riveted-eye-bolts

Thanks for any consideration!

#2 3 years ago

Looks great. I like the colors and price is very fair. Best of luck.

4 months later
    #3 3 years ago

Quite a few orders have come in over the past 2 weeks - want to thank those for the orders, and I'll be posting up some new pics here to the thread soon for some additional colors.

4 months later
    #4 2 years ago

So these protect the Clear Coat not the apron/art? or both?

I was hoping for a high speed ball frozen in movement... or a video slowed down to show how/where the ball rides on the PF and on the Apron.

1 month later
    #5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

So these protect the Clear Coat not the apron/art? or both?
    I was hoping for a high speed ball frozen in movement... or a video slowed down to show how/where the ball rides on the PF and on the Apron.

Hi there @zitt, thanks for the reply and apologies for not seeing this sooner.

To answer your question, the Edger protects the clear coat by providing a buffering layer between the apron edge and the clear coat on the playfield. The depth of the apron "pocket" and install height of the Edger are such that it does not interfere with ball contact patch on the apron, nor does it stick out so much that it would impede the ball's action down the apron and into the trough/return. The ball contacts the apron just as it would without the Edger installed and the ball action is not impacted at all.

I'll grab a few pictures and post them back, as that will be more effective than me describing what is best served with a visual.

#6 2 years ago

Great product!! Have them in LZ and EHOH ehoh had a groove cut full length so good investment to protect

#7 2 years ago

Ok. makes since now.
    I thought these were intended to somehow prevent damage to the apron - IE where the clear sticker is in your pictures.

1 month later
    #8 2 years ago

Snagging some for GB

#9 2 years ago

If these were made of a clear-ish, but still colored material, you could light it from under the apron and have them “glow” I would think.
    Might be really cool, just an idea.

#10 2 years ago

It's a cool product, but sometimes I am surprised you guys even take the game out of the box.

1 year later
    #11 1 year ago

Do you need to remove the apron to install these?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Do you need to remove the apron to install these?

yes.

1 year later
    #13 56 days ago

How to install?

#14 55 days ago

remove apron, put these down on the pf OR on apron sliding the post into the holes, slide apron back on

#15 55 days ago

Need gold for Godfather.

#16 51 days ago

Does not work on Stern Star Wars with plastic apron.

#17 50 days ago
    Quoted from usesbrain:

Does not work on Stern Star Wars with plastic apron.

Correct, these are for metal aprons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apron-edgers-playfield-protection-for-stern-metal-aprons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.