Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KingBW
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151213_164638_(resized).jpg
    image-61_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I really don't get to enjoy my Color DMD unless another player is up and I get to watch screen.

Thought someone was working on apron DMD's but can't find post.

If this is being made can You connect it easily to Color DMD in your game?

#2 8 years ago

There is a D.I.Y. kit for woz but I think the other version was discontinued. It was stuped $$$ anyway. Maybe with the dropping lcd prices someone will tackle this again.

1 week later
    #3 8 years ago

The DIY kit was actually pretty cheap, like 50 bucks for the screen and harness. It didnt work with the new woz code update and no one can figure out how to make it work again. There was issues

#4 8 years ago

There were a few made -- somewhere in Europe I believe. Someone was selling one a while back on here, if I remember correctly it was pretty spendy. Couldn't pull the trigger on that one but it looked pretty cool. They are not made anymore unfortunately. I wonder if a dmd extender could work if you just picked up a small lcd screen?

#5 8 years ago

For WOZ, all you need is an LCD screen that matches the resolution of your main display. Newer WOZ displays are 1080p, older ones are something lower. It says on the screen at boot up. The computer in WOZ has a secondary video out port and you just connect the screen to that. The issue is that with newer code, you get cropping and scaling issues if the two screens are not the same native resolution. (Verified this myself)

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

For WOZ, all you need is an LCD screen that matches the resolution of your main display. Newer WOZ displays are 1080p, older ones are something lower. It says on the screen at boot up. The computer in WOZ has a secondary video out port and you just connect the screen to that. The issue is that with newer code, you get cropping and scaling issues if the two screens are not the same native resolution. (Verified this myself)

Technically, you can scale down using a digital scaler.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/#filters?&groupli=7&subgroupli=195

#7 8 years ago

WNBJM has one and has been a great success.

image-61_(resized).jpgimage-61_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago

I think if price was under $200 and could mounted in apron it would be a big hit.

I've never offered this before but if someone REPUTABLE thinks they could figure this out I might be an investor to fund project.

I wanted to do this 10 years ago but wasn't sure the technology was there.

With the advent of color DMD's and LCD's it seems like it might be easier to do.

Why can't it just connect to the output harness of the Color DMD? That too easy???

#9 8 years ago

My Buddy hooked me up, with correct components and cable it can be done.I just did this a month ago

20151213_164638_(resized).jpg20151213_164638_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

My Buddy hooked me up, with correct components and cable it can be done.I just did this a month ago
    20151213_164638_(resized).jpg

Nice add! Is that a 5" or 6" display that you went with?

#11 8 years ago

Now let's see one piggy-backed off of a Color DMD on a late model Stern!!!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

Now let's see one piggy-backed off of a Color DMD on a late model Stern!!!

You can do a DIY apron screen with DMD Extender or SmartDMD. Both of these utilize a Raspberry Pi and would usually use the HDMI port out of the RPi into an LCD Controller Board. You can split the HDMI and then down convert into composite for displaying on a cheap small LCD.

I've got details of that here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-jurassic-park-with-lcd-dmd-replacement#post-1111035

How does Color DMD handle the signal from their board to the LCD? I would assume it's some kind of standard signal that could be split similarly.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

You can do a DIY apron screen with DMD Extender or SmartDMD. Both of these utilize a Raspberry Pi and would usually use the HDMI port out of the RPi into an LCD Controller Board. You can split the HDMI and then down convert into composite for displaying on a cheap small LCD.
    I've got details of that here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-jurassic-park-with-lcd-dmd-replacement#post-1111035
    How does Color DMD handle the signal from their board to the LCD? I would assume it's some kind of standard signal that could be split similarly.

All this stuff is over my head. But there is big bucks to be made here if someone can figure out how to tap in to Color DMD and get the display on apron. My offer still stands!!!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

All this stuff is over my head. But there is big bucks to be made here if someone can figure out how to tap in to Color DMD and get the display on apron. My offer still stands!!!

I personally wouldn't see it as a worthwhile business venture. If it's all about adding an apron screen to ColorDMD, then the ColorDMD folks should be the ones to make it, because as soon as someone else starts making it, they'll be accused if anything goes wrong with the ColorDMD, and you'd likely void any warranty you had on your ColorDMD. Besides, if it you released it on your own as an unofficial add-on to ColorDMD and it ends up being successful, there's nothing stopping ColorDMD or anyone else from selling a competing product after you've proven the market viability.

#15 8 years ago

Don't need a whole solution just an hdmi out. That way people could use large screen on the wall or small screens on the apron. heck you could even have one screen you move from game to game as you play. perhaps suction cups to the apron. I would think a raspberry pi 2 could handle this.

9 months later
    #16 7 years ago

Has anyone tried this with a ColorDMD on a bw machine? I'm getting one for my woz and was thinking I should just pick up two if there is any chance of branching off the ColorDMD

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Has anyone tried this with a ColorDMD on a bw machine? I'm getting one for my woz and was thinking I should just pick up two if there is any chance of branching off the ColorDMD

The colordmd's don't work that way. There is no branching or other output that you can use to power another display with the "same" colored output.

You can however use smartdmd to replicate the stock "non-colored" dmd. This sits in the signal path and uses a rasberry pi to create the dmd image from the display signals.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from koops:

The colordmd's don't work that way. There is no branching or other output that you can use to power another display with the "same" colored output.
    You can however use smartdmd to replicate the stock "non-colored" dmd. This sits in the signal path and uses a rasberry pi to create the dmd image from the display signals.

That would be great too. I'll look that up. ColorDMD is missing an opportunity in my opinion to make little secondary displays for the apron. Great add on. Like $200 for a tiny LCD is practically all profit.

#19 7 years ago

+1

#20 7 years ago

From a different thread that someone posted ... for DMD displays:

http://www.drpinball.co.uk/dmdextender.htm

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apron-display-is-it-in-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.