9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_Stars_Apron_Decal_Set.jpg
#1 9 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned my Trident apron with 409. It washed off the blue paint.

I spent several days sanding and re-finishing the apron and ordered a new decal from E-bay. The decal I received looks like a paper sticker. It’s opaque and will cover all my re-finishing work.

Where do you guys recommend I get a nice looking apron decal?

Thanks

Bob

#2 9 years ago

I have only found Pinball Rescue but they are in Australia. Any place in the states?

Thanks

Bob

#3 9 years ago

Can you cut out the one you bought and use as a stencil and paint yourself?

#4 9 years ago

That would be a real job - considering the lettering and all.

Bob

#5 9 years ago

I saw someone else mentioned in another thread that when they got a apron decal, they just cut out the artwork they wanted and left the solid background behind. But the ease of that would depend upon how complex the apron art is.

Also, try simple green instead of 409. It's a bit gentler on artwork. 409 is basically meant for stove tops, counters, and other hard surfaces.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks, but cutting out the artwork would be way too much work. Especially cutting out the lettering. It wouldn't be so bad if it were on a clear background. But this is printed on white opaque background. I think if I cut it out it would look like a paper sticker.

I washed off the shooter cover with dish soap and the blue started to wash off as well. The red is OK but the blue comes right off. - I think it's ink and not paint.

Bob

Stern_Stars_Apron_Decal_Set.jpgStern_Stars_Apron_Decal_Set.jpg
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I washed off the shooter cover with dish soap and the blue started to wash off as well. The red is OK but the blue comes right off. - I think it's ink and not paint.

Dish soap is designed to break stuff down rather aggressively.

Like I mentioned earlier, use simple green instead for cleaning off grime and whatnot--this is basically the general-use cleaner for pinball machines and it can be found at walmart in the auto section. Standard household cleaners aren't really designed with artwork preservation in mind, but for some reason, folks here have discovered it works pretty well.

#8 9 years ago

I also saw in another thread where the OP said they would powdercoat the apron and then have "This Old Pin" re-silkscreen the art. Here is the original post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-playfield-swap-it-begins/page/2 , not sure if they screen for that apron, but it's worth a shot.

#9 9 years ago

Just as a suggestion,If you are unhappy with the material quality,i would bring that decal you bought to a local printer ,who can scan it ,and reprint it on better quality material. Since you paid for the artwork,i don't see a problem with having anyone recopy it. Give Joe pingraffix a shout out, he may be able to help you out . I hope this helps

#10 9 years ago

I have used Simple Green before - it's great for cleaning table saw blades - I think I have some in the garage. But I used 409 on my F2K and didn't have a problem.

Re-silk screening would be the way to go if you wanted perfection. But I would think it would be expensive shipping my apron, cutting a new silkscreen, and sending it back.

Thanks Mod, I sent Joe an e-mail. That would be the way to go. He's even looking for artwork now. I'll also try to find a local printer, but the printers around here are stupid expensive when you only need one copy.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apron-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.