(Topic ID: 217936)

Appreciate little help STTNG dead . MPU has middle led out.

By Jeff1960

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arolden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff1960:

Yes display driver board sorry for confusion. The good news is Captain Kirk was looking put for me as i remembered that i had an extra board , plugged in an booted up as normal.
All is good but the board that i replaced was a new display board about 10 years old.
Obviously the old one was OK as it works in it now but is their something I'm overlooking that may have caused this?

Clay mentions this in his repair guide. What are the voltages like on the display driver board? See below from the guide.

Last Reset Resorts - Failing Dot Matrix Controller/Display.

The game in question was Star Trek Next Generation, and the symptoms included occasional game resets, weak flippers, and dim lights. The usual stuff was tried: replaced all the bridge rectifers and filter caps, rebuilt the flippers, etc, and nothing worked. A bad transformer was suspected, so it was re-taped for 100 volts, as an experiment. After powering the game back on, immediate smoke was seen off the dot matrix display controller board. On closer inspection, a number of the diodes and large resistors on the dot matrix display board showed signs of severe heating (the experiment with the lower voltage tap wasn't nearly long enough to cause the damage observed - this had built up over considerable time). After rejumpering the game back to 115 volts, a spare dot matrix display board was installed in the game, and everything worked: bright lights, strong flippers, and no game resets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 15.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/appreciate-little-help-sttng-dead-mpu-has-middle-led-out?tu=arolden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.