Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinsanity
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Afew years ago I had a set of decals applied to a demolition Man head, I need to do this again, the person who did it used a spray of some kind on the cabinet then applied the decals then squeegee it out to make them nice and smooth, does anyone know what you would apply To the head before you put on the decals and use the squeegee to make them smooth and flat, thank you

#2 9 years ago

I've had good luck with just water using a spray bottle and just a little bit. I've heard about windex as well but have only used water in a spray bottle myself. HTH!

#3 9 years ago

did you sand everything down to the wood? or are you applying the new decal over the old one? dry method is what it implies...wet method can be part dove dish soap and water or windex. Old decal should be removed before new one is applied.

#4 9 years ago

I was not actually going to sand down to wood.. The cabinet head itself is in pretty good condition, however when I remove the old decals I will have a better idea on that. So I see one post with just water, and one with water and windex and do e soap.. Anyone by chance tried both and have an idea which would be better? I am clueless on this.

Thanks
    Steve
    CARGPB#37

#5 9 years ago

I have applied many decals, I use water with a squirt of dawn dish soap (more than dishes, but not too much)

#6 9 years ago

I've only used the soapy water method. It has worked well. There are some good how-to videos on youtube.

I do recommend sanding down to wood, primer, and paint before putting on new decals. This will give you the best surface to apply your decals to.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, so the small amount of soap seems to be more of the consensus, now as far as paint goes, this will be on a Demo man.. what kind of black paint would you recommend? Gloss, Semi gloss, flat.. I am going to remove the decals off which I imagine will reveal dents and scrapes on the surface of the head, so I can understand the sanding and paint part.

Thank you guys for helping with input, this will be my first attempt at this.

#8 9 years ago

Very important to use a primer first.

I'm not sure what the finish is on Demo Man but use an oil based enamel like Rust-o-leum.

#9 9 years ago

Spend a few bucks a buy a bottle of Rapid Tac instead of using soapy water - Rapid Tac provides better adhesion of the vinyl artwork.

#10 9 years ago

I do sign and vinyl graphics for a living ... DO NOT USE WINDEX!!! ... It will break down the adhesive over time.

Make sure you wipe cabinet down with 91% rubbing alcohol before you apply vinyl.

I agree with the rapid tac or any vinyl application fluid but you can make your own as well.

Option 1.Fill a spray bottle with water 1 drop of dawn dish detergent and a cap full of the rubbing alcohol.

Option 2 Spray bottle of water and a couple drops of baby shampoo.

Hope this helps

#11 9 years ago

Jason

This ALL helps actually..

Ok, remove old decals, sand down head, apply primer, pain with oil based enamel, either buy rapid tac or make my own solution then apply decals..

I think I have a good understanding and plan now.. just not sure which black to use, also where do you get rapid tac? I am thinking that is best instead of guessing how much soap to put in the bottle, as I would imagine size of bottle would play a roll.

Thanks
    Steve

#12 9 years ago

Make sure to give the paint time to fully cure. I can't recall the timeline for oil based paints but was thinking it was a couple weeks. If you do it to soon it can cause the decal to bubble or start to come up. I'm about to do a restore on my cab and I have 2 weeks in my timeline for the cab to dry. May be overkill but I figure better safe than sorry.

#13 9 years ago

Head decals are so easy, just apply dry.

#15 9 years ago

Not going dry...

2 weeks for the paint to dry? Really that long?

Thanks guys
    Steve

#16 9 years ago

A little expensive for 4 oz

ebay.com link: like

#17 9 years ago

I would just prime it and let it cure for 2 days........

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Not going dry...
    2 weeks for the paint to dry? Really that long?
    Thanks guys
    Steve

Can't locate the thread but there was one recently that talked about paint for cabs. Saw several saying that non-automotive takes a week plus to fully cure. I was talking to my cab decal guy and he told me 10-14 days would be a good idea as if the paint isn't fully cured there could be some separation.

Would love to know for sure but I figure better safe than sorry so I'm going to wait.

#19 9 years ago

Wow, 20 bucks for that bottle for a one time use.. thinking maybe the soap and water will be ok..

#20 9 years ago

The pros use water and a few drops of baby shampoo all the time instead of paying for the app fluid ... You will be fine with homemade app fluid.

#21 9 years ago

I think at least a week to let the paint cure makes sense. I wouldn't do it any sooner than that.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Ok, remove old decals, sand down head, apply primer, paint with oil based enamel, either buy rapid tac or make my own solution then apply decals.

Ok, remove old decals, sand down head, apply primer, sand, paint with oil based enamel, sand, either buy rapid tac or make my own solution then apply decals.

The wood grain will swell and raise slightly after the primer/paint is applied so you will need to sand it again with a finishing grit. The surface really needs to be smooth or any blemish will show through the decal. I usually do two coats of paint (sanding after each). I can't state this strongly enough the quality of the finished job will greatly depend on the prep work on the cabinet (sanding and painting).

On the black paint every game is slightly different, but semi-gloss black is typically a pretty good choice. With two coats you can always adjust the gloss on the second coat if you don't like it.

Remove the old decals using a heat gun and scraper or you will pull up a lot of wood and have to patch the area before proceeding.

#23 9 years ago

From the olympic paint website:

Oil Based Paint ~ Dry Time 6-8 hours – Cure Time 3-7 days. It can be sensitive to water or chemicals during the curing process.

Water based paint can be up to 30 days.

#24 9 years ago

Decals are off, sanded down to wood, will prime and sand tomorrow, then first coat of paint, will let sit a week, sand and paint again, then wait another week for decals..

Thank you guys!

Steve

#25 9 years ago

Sand it smooth and apply the decals dry, Doug Huse cabs are directly to the wood .

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Decals are off, sanded down to wood, will prime and sand tomorrow, then first coat of paint, will let sit a week, sand and paint again, then wait another week for decals..

You don't have to wait a week between each coat of paint. For oil based paint a couple of days should be enough. If you start sanding and the paint kind of rolls up into small balls as you work and the sandpaper seems to grab, then give it another day and try again.

The week is just on the final step to let the paint completely cure.

#27 9 years ago

Ok, got it. I do not want to apply the decals dry, one mistake and I could be out 100 dollar set of decals, or stretch them

#28 9 years ago

I did new vinyl decals on the TOM that is for sale on pinside right now in Maryland. straight on the wood and they look great ... no issues at all.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/15189

2 years later
    #29 7 years ago

Assuming heat gun and scraper best way to remove old decals?

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingDaddy:

Assuming heat gun and scraper best way to remove old decals?

Yes - or a Festool

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Yes - or a Festool

You're going to gum up a lot of expensive sandpaper trying to remove decals with a Festool. I use a heat gun and scraper.

#32 7 years ago

Yes, for head decals attack it using a heat gun/scraper first then go over it with an electric sander to remove any remaining white residue and wood grain imperfections.

Rest the running heat gun on the blade of the scraper about halfway up the metal blade until it heats up sufficiently and then slide/scrape in one continuous motion.

Like a hot knife through butter.

I do use a Festool with an attached vacuum hose when doing a full cabinet stripdown because of the increased surface area/time factor. Happy to pay for more sandpaper in this case if it saves wear and tear on my back.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/applying-new-head-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.