(Topic ID: 61393)

Appliance Hand Truck for Pinball???

By Vladtheimpaler-8

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vladtheimpaler-8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have seen many of you talk about Harbor Freight as a good place to buy an appliance hand truck/dolly as well as possibly a hydraulic table/cart. Have any of you used this hand cart from Harbor Freight, and can anyone think of any reason it might not be good for moving pins? I have about 30 yards of grass I have to roll through from where I park and if I move any pins upstairs have carpeted stairs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-65685.html

Thanks, and any other suggestions are welcome other than saying move it with 2 people. I am trying to find a solution that allows me to do this either by myself, or with minimal help from my girlfriend in getting it out of my car and into the house.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions so far. I really appreciate it. I will just be using this to move pins I buy or sell into and out of my house. I don't know how often this will be, but I just wanted to be prepared for when I see that add for a pin I just can't refuse. Because of that, I didn't want to spend too much, but I know you get what you pay for.

The other thing I have been trying to figure out is once you wheel it to your car/SUV, what is the best way to then get it into and out of the car? Are there any tips/tricks anyone can offer to make it easier and minimize how much I tear up the car in the process?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

Do yourself a favor and buy one like this
    http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/g/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-appliance-stair-climbing/steel-professional-appliance-hand-trucks
    They have a much better strapping system , the cheap ones have a terrible strap and latch system on them .

Thanks freezie. Do you use the 2 wheel or 4 wheel version? Did you order yours directly from this website or get it somewhere else?

#14 10 years ago

I love this site...I appreciate everyone's willingness to answer questions. Really great suggestions and information from everyone so far. Thank you.

Quoted from lladnip:

(real much depends on your size- im 185 and mid 40's)
    imo- i actually like a smaller hand truck for tight corners, halls, ect- pin machines are really not that big (if i was doing fridge units it would be different), i prefer a nimble dolly- its just me.
    i do feel ratchet straps are a must- but they dont have to be attached to the dolly, if your moving appliaces all the time all day ya its convenyant, but i only use my dolly maybe onec a month on ave. (still that 1 times a month pays for itself every time-imo)
    also i dont know how much stairs you plan on doing? but i only have 4 or so, and i have a ramp-2x4 w/plywood covered, and its nice and easy....
    i understand your point- wives love pinball more when there not on the end of 250 pound, best to keep them on your good side..... you need some dolly, its a must have- what ever you choose it will be worth it

I am 195 in my mid 40s also, and just trying to avoid giving my chiropractor any more money than I have to. LOL

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

i have one from harbor frieght paid $89 with sale coupon out of flyer. it works great best money i have spent it has Two built in 3"nylon straps and belt rollers for steps and plastic slide protectors on hand rails. it is all any one moving pins needs. it is not as heavy duety as the ones we have at work but it is strong enough for any pinball. i actually like the lighter wieght of it as it makes it more manoverable. and i agree with Russ it is best to have a helping hand although i have moved pins my self out of the basement its those last two steps that take it out of you.LOL

Sounds like you have the one from the link in my first post. I signed up to receive Harbor Freight coupons, so I guess its just a matter of waiting for the appliance dolly coupon if I am going to get this one. I still have to figure out the rolling through grass part though as it is too narrow to drive my car closer to my back gate. Guess I might have to pick up some plywood and have someone pick it up and move it as I roll along.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I have one basically identical to the two wheel one. I figured the hand truck would provide enough leverage to move things easily. Then at an arcade auction I borrowed one of the 4 wheel ones and it was night and day (over generally flat surfaces). I understand why everyone has these now.

that does look really nice...still have the grass issue, but I am going to have that regardless unless I want to bring them in through the front door and tackle the basement stairs

Quoted from gweempose:

No joke. I've been to see my chiropractor five times in the last couple weeks. My back has been toast ever since I moved a few pins down into my basement a couple months ago. I recently passed on a game I really wanted, and one of the main reasons is because I don't want to move any games around right now.

yeah, I picked the wrong time to get into buying pins as I had really done my back earlier this summer and was going multiple times per week to chiro for a month and was just getting to the point where I would only have to go every now and then when I bought and moved those first 2 pins...oops...back to square one...money paid to the chiro is money I could be spending on PINS!!! LOL Wanting to get more pins really is motivation to hit the gym and get back in shape!

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

No joke. I've been to see my chiropractor five times in the last couple weeks. My back has been toast ever since I moved a few pins down into my basement a couple months ago. I recently passed on a game I really wanted, and one of the main reasons is because I don't want to move any games around right now.

wow! Just noticed you have 14 pins with 10 pins owned in the past...you REALLY have reason to have back strain!

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from onceler:

I have both the Harbor Freight appliance dolly you linked to as well as the smaller, red hand truck. If I were in your position I would get both and use the red hand truck to move the pin through the grass and the appliance dolly for getting it in and around the house. I also just picked up the hydraulic lift table and modified the handle to move pins around once the legs are on.
    I looked into magliners and more expensive dollys and settled on the HF versions as they were cheap, I could pick them up & didnt need to order them, and I wasn't planning on using them a ton. If that time ever comes where I have a monthly or weekly use of moving pins then I figure I will budget for a new dolly then.
    As for getting the pins in and out of the car, I bring a few broke-down boxes of cardboard and use those to slide the pin in and out and protect the edge of the car. I then teeter totter the pin on the back edge and gently lower it to the ground.
    I just recently moved a Mousin' Around into my basement by myself using the appliance dolly you linked to as well as cardboard in the car. When it comes time to get it back out I'll probably need some assistance.

Thanks onceler, and thanks again to everyone else that offered suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the one at HF that I had originally asked about http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-65685.html for $89.99, plus I printed the 25% coupon from the Internet. It seems to be very sturdy, and I like that it has both high and low adjustable straps and a foldout piece for moving boxes. I also picked up the hydraulic lift at http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-lift-table-94822.html that I had seen on other posts for $159.99 and they let me use the 25% coupon again, so I should be set. The hydraulic lift was pretty heavy in the box, so I used the new dolly to bring it in through the grass same route I will be bringing in pins. Worked quite well. I know will be a lot heavier and awkward with the pin, but I think I will be ok.

1 week later
    #29 10 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

pull it thru the grass dont push and i always shrink wrap my pins before i strap them. this holds the cab head inplace and protects art work. but before that i make sure the light board is secure. i run a screw back into the slide latch to lock it in place so the light board does not bounce loose and scratch the back glass or translight. you should be fine with the HF dolly as they are just right for the average joe. cant beat the price and with a 25% coupon that should make the wife happy. LOL

Follow-up...HF appliance dolly worked quite well Saturday before last with my new Mata Hari, even rolling through the grass with an uneven incline. I just strapped it in tight, took it slow, and had my GF follow along beside me to make sure didn't tip, and to give it a lift to get over stepping stones and into doorway. Very happy with that purchase.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

I just saw this thread. I actually bought a HF appliance dolly not too long ago, and moved a pin last night with it. While it gets the job done, the straps on it are awful. It took like 30 minutes just to get them to work. The buckles are really cheap and don't "grip" the straps when you try and lock it down. I think I'm going to see if I can buy some ratchet straps and use them ad hoc next time.

I got my straps to lock down pretty tight, although I definitely see what you mean about them not being the best. It took me awhile to get them adjusted and locked down, but I had ratchet straps on stand by just in case. Of course, I haven't tried to move a wide body or pin with the head still attached yet.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

How did getting it out of the car work? Sliding from car down to the ground has me concerned. For standing it back up inside the house did you tilt it onto a lift or something?
    I've only moved with 2 people so far but would like a bit more independence if I can manage it.

For Mata Hari (which really isn't that heavy without the backbox) it wasn't bad at all. As was suggested to me, I went to Uhaul and bought a big box that fit perfectly flat in my car to set the cabinet on, and another box to put on the bumper, so I could slide the cabinet out without doing harm to my bumper. It slid out easily and then when was out far enough my girlfriend grabbed the other end and we set it flat and gently on a blanket on the sidewalk. Then flipped it up on end with the coinbox end in the air and slipped the appliance dolly under it. So, I didn't try doing it by myself and didn't have to slide it to the ground. Once inside the house I took it off the dolly the same way on its back end, and then we gently laid it down flat and picked it up enough to put it on the hydraulic lift, jacked it up and put the legs on. I too wish I had a solution that I felt comfortable with where I wouldn't need any help, but this was seriously minimal help needed by my GF. Not sure we could do the same with newer machine with backbox on though.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

thanks, that makes me feel a bit better knowing you put it on the ground, that seems more doable than sliding right from car to dolly. Taking the backbox off is a good help as well though I hate to unplug anything if I can help it.

The guy I bought it from had already labeled every wire with masking tape and a sharpie, so he made it dummy proof for me to replug everything in once I got home. I will bring a sharpie and masking tape with me anytime I buy a new pin going forward. Cabinet will not fit in my car with the head on, so that is not an option for me with this car anyway.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I use this hand truck from Harbor Freight:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/extra-wide-hand-truck-66171.html
    I needed something with big wheels that would allow me to go down a hill and over some fairly uneven terrain in the back yard. This was inexpensive and fills the bill perfectly. Of course, I have to add a pad and straps, but that is done easily.
    I'd love a tricked-out Escalera, but I don't move pins often enough to justify the expense.

the guy I bought Mata Hari from had an Escalera stair climber and it was AWESOME to see in action! Made easy work getting it out of his basement and to my car, and then he used his lift to get it even with my bumper and we easily lifted it into the car and slid it back. He said you can find them for under $1000 on CL if you keep looking. I am a long way from moving enough pins to justify that right now, but at least I know that great option is out there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vladtheimpaler-8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/appliance-hand-truck-for-pinball?tu=vladtheimpaler-8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.