(Topic ID: 201829)

Appliance Dolly vs Kick Back (4 Wheel Dolly)

By REMAXRick

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Phat_Jay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4C437031-50CF-4686-829A-F798BEEDA6AF (resized).jpeg
    33CEC663-F201-401D-B100-05F0F1C850D0 (resized).jpeg
    4224D911-12B0-4F1F-82F3-C0911F1E6B77 (resized).jpeg
    DA564374-2040-437D-90BB-ED989A0F128E (resized).jpeg
    BDD426E7-4B3F-4E3A-9D80-1D455837BED1 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

I know that dollies have been covered pretty thoroughly in the forum, but most threads I've found are old discussions with old links. I've also not found anyone asking or talking about using a "kick back" or 4 wheel appliance dolly for pins...so here goes:

My immediate need is to move a pin from the garage to the basement. As much as I'd LOVE an Escalara, I'm not in the market for one (the pins I consider owning are less than 1/2 the cost of a powered stair climber dolly and I don't expect to move those on stairs but once or twice a year). I was all set to buy a Harbor Freight Appliance Dolly for $72 ($90 plus a 20% off coupon) https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-65685.html , but have been considering spending more to get a kick back dolly that seems would do just as well for wrapped machines on stairs AND make it easier to move around when not on stairs. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-appliance-stair-climbing/4-wheel-professional-appliance-hand-truck-1200-lb-capacity The cost on that with shipping would be about $260.

I already have a harbor freight lift table for moving set up games on flat surfaces, so not worried about that. I'm willing to spend the $200 more for the 4 wheel appliance dolly if it's worth the convenience when not on stairs to not risk tipping it over on 2 wheels. Otherwise, if I'm already hulking the things up and down stairs, is it that big of a deal to continue to roll it on 2 wheels (with 2 straps on Harbor Freight model) and save the $200? Any advice on which would be better with BOTH just my moves in and out of my house AND if I start taking machines to and from shows would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

#2 2 years ago

I personally like the kickback style dolly. The main reason being if you already have the pin leaned back and you need to move something you can do that without having to stand the pin back up.

#3 2 years ago

I have the kick back and have moved several pins with it as well as using it for heavy things at work. It is very nice when lifting something really heavy to just be able to relax for a second on the kick back wheels without needing to rock it back forward and then back up again. None of us are getting younger, so all the assistance I can get is great. I had to move a pin through a backyard and even having the extra wheels for a "just in case" scenario was nice too.

Not sure where you live, but if I remember, I got mine from Northern Tool and saved on the ship to store option.

I personally wouldn't get another appliance dolly without the kick back wheels.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks to both responses so far. I was thinking it'd sure make it easier. And you're right, sure not getting any younger...and I don't want to abuse my friends' willingness to help.

I looked at the Northern Tool referenced. Although I'm in Indiana, I could avoid shipping by having a relative bring it down from Wisconsin on their next trip. That still makes it about $340 with tax which is about $100 more than the one at Global.

I looked a little closer at the reviews on the Global Industrial one and now I'm a little concerned with the quality. While they have great overall reviews, digging a little deeper found more people that actually used the dolly having issues with tongue strength, parts falling off or breaking, and the ratchet system not being good. The sole review on Amazon said the same thing. Anyone here have experience with Global Industrial's dolly in the link in the original post? I'm not sure I'm gonna be willing to add another $100 to get up to the Northern Tool, yet, but I don't want to waste $260 on a cheap dolly, either. I think I'd rather wear myself out on a $70 dolly than frustrate myself with a $260 one.

#5 2 years ago

I bought the red 4 wheel appliance dolley from global like 6 months back and it's been fantastic. Price wise and quality wise. I use it primarily for arcade games like maximum force shooting games and other redemption/arcade games. I can check for the receipt for u later today for price and model number info. Gotta cut the lawn before the sun goes down... Kevin

2 months later
    #6 2 years ago

Costco sells a Cosco brand dolly that is convertible from dolly, to flat bed to dolly with kick-out wheels.
    $80 I paid.

Get one and wonder how you lived without it.

Its even go no-flat tires, but don't leave a pin on it for extended periods of time, the wheels will develop temporary flat spots.

1 month later
    #7 1 year ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Costco sells a Cosco brand dolly that is convertible from dolly, to flat bed to dolly with kick-out wheels.
    $80 I paid.
    Get one and wonder how you lived without it.
    Its even go no-flat tires, but don't leave a pin on it for extended periods of time, the wheels will develop temporary flat spots.

Is this the one fron COSTCO https://www.costco.com/Cosco-3-in-1-Hand-TruckAssisted-Hand-TruckCart-with-Flat-Free-Wheels.product.100361868.html?

How does it go on steps?

#8 1 year ago

Yes, that is the one I have. I havent used it on step yet, to be honest.

The wheels are little larger diameter than other dollys (not counting dollies with inflatable wheels), so it shouldnt be too bad.

I've gone DOWN lots of steps and it went just fine.

#9 1 year ago

Get the kickback with extra wheels. I picked one up at Northern Tools and have been very pleased. Being able to lean it back on four wheels is worth any extra cost it might be.

Thays costco one looks ok, but I prefer he heavier duty dolly. Especially the built in strap. It really keeps it all together. Fight the weight of a pinball up and down steps is enough of a battle. Worrying about it sliding of the dolly is more added work.

My steps are a beyotch....wood steps that twist up from 3 car garage to a 10x20 room built above it. Steps are not built to code. Having the rubber rollers on the back side makes it much easier going up. It’s still a two person job because of the tightness of the steps, but sure is beating carrying them up and down by hand.

#10 1 year ago

I use this one. Very nice. amazon.com link »

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 299.00
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 299.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside