(Topic ID: 212067)

Apple TV ? - Wireless

By iamabearsfan

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 6 years ago

Hi all: I own an Apple TV 3 and due to other circumstances, I have had to switch it to wireless. We stream PS Vue and now we are getting tons of buffering. Here is my question. I own a Linksys EA6350 wireless router and it is within 10 feet of my Apple TV. Rerunning my hard wire is very difficult. Was wondering if going with an Apple TV IV may give me some relief. From what I can gather, the Apple TV IV supports "Duel Band". Not really positive what this is and if it would even help me with my router, although the router is newer.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003cgXOAAY

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/

Any insight, or ideas on this issue would be welcomed.

Dave

#2 6 years ago

First, I would
Implore you to really really be sure you can’t run hardline. It is potentially 1,000 times faster, and will have way more capacity to handle faster speeds if US broadband ever catches up to the rest of the world.

That said, this is the best router you can buy in the US:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac5300-tri-band-wireless-ac-gigabit-router-black/5008900.p?skuId=5008900&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=e31483a6-3621-4914-ae1a-dc8546107e74&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg257723&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOWkrqjl2QIVBqZpCh1OagqMEAQYASABEgIRRPD_BwE

It’s $349, usually on sale for $300 or so

But that’s a bit overkill. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-AiProtection-Accelerator-Compatible-RT-AC88U/dp/B016EWKQAQ

We have 8 servers in the house, 2 desktops, 14 laptops and I think 11 pad/phone/other wireless devices. Yes my work requires me to learn way too much about this stuff.

Buy the router first, then if you really want to try AppleTV, think about a used one. But upgrade your router first.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First, I would
Implore you to really really be sure you can’t run hardline. It is potentially 1,000 times faster, and will have way more capacity to handle faster speeds if US broadband ever catches up to the rest of the world.
That said, this is the best router you can buy in the US:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac5300-tri-band-wireless-ac-gigabit-router-black/5008900.p?skuId=5008900&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=e31483a6-3621-4914-ae1a-dc8546107e74&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg257723&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOWkrqjl2QIVBqZpCh1OagqMEAQYASABEgIRRPD_BwE
It’s $349, usually on sale for $300 or so
But that’s a bit overkill. This is the one I use:
amazon.com link »
We have 8 servers in the house, 2 desktops, 14 laptops and I think 11 pad/phone/other wireless devices. Yes my work requires me to learn way too much about this stuff.
Buy the router first, then if you really want to try AppleTV, think about a used one. But upgrade your router first.

I have wifi in the house with AT&T and I have a dead spot or two and was told to get a wifi extender. Do you have a recommendation for a really good one?
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

#4 6 years ago

I have a couple of dead spots. I use TP Link Powerline adapters. It uses your house wiring to transmit. For me, it’s much better than wireless. I get 4K through my Roku’s without loss.

#5 6 years ago

We use the Google Wifi home system, 3 pucks throughout the house. We have four TVs, one desktop pc, one laptop, two phones, a couple tablets hooked up to it. We regularly stream on 3 TVs at a time and play online games on pc without interruption. There aren't any dead zones in our house since upgrading from our single router. Our service provider is Charter Communications.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I have wifi in the house with AT&T and I have a dead spot or two and was told to get a wifi extender. Do you have a recommendation for a really good one?
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Few of those work really well, unfortunately. They kind of half-ass the setup, and you end up with 2 separate wifi networks, instead of a single extended one, and it's a pain because all your devices need to be joined separately, and if you're in the point in the house where both are strong, your device will swap between the two, making it unusable. Linksys and Cisco products are PARTICULARLY bad at this. Linksys used to be great, but Cisco bought them and turned them into just a terrible company.

Anyway, I do suggest you upgrade to one of these batwing gyrocopter looking routers I linked to above. They have REALLY good range, and can go through thicker walls. Our house is 100 years old and has an issue with dead spots, even though it's not that large. That router I linked to above completely eliminated the dead spots. (the cheaper one)

If you really really want to get a network you can extend, start by buying a couple Apple AirPort Express and an AirPort Extreme. Apple does the extended-network thing correctly, and you can get a fairly good setup. The good thing about doing this is you can keep adding AirPort Express and joining them,, and eliminate dead spots if you just keep adding them. You do not need to have any other Apple products at all, they work with PCs, laptops, Android phones, Google TV, etc. The bad thing is it's incredibly expensive.

EDIT: the google Wifi solution sounds like it is similar and may be less expensive than the Apple Express route, but I don't have any personal experience with it. In my experience, Apple products are much easier to set up if you're not familiar with the intimate details of how this all works, but it's not like Google stuff is bad or anything,

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

I have a couple of dead spots. I use TP Link Powerline adapters. It uses your house wiring to transmit. For me, it’s much better than wireless. I get 4K through my Roku’s without loss.

These are a pretty good solution as well, provided your house is relatively newer. these are plug-and-play pretty much- however if you fall into the percentage of people whose house is not wired the way it expects, or it's too old, etc., they may never work. Worth a shot, but they do interfere with home automation solutions like Smarthome/Insteon and X-10, if you have anything like that. They are also considerably slower, believe it or not, but not slow enough you'd really notice an issue from, say Netflix, for example.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apple-tv-wireless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.