(Topic ID: 86325)

Apple Time: Thunder Man Info??? (Zaccaria/Unknown Hybrid)

By Gundam_Pilot_

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by dvs626
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1a9a297f-81ba-479d-afe4-d10d170c1972 (resized).jpg
52b1eeea-b1cc-48e2-948c-e610e93d236e (resized).jpg
8979c4f1-fcee-47b5-bc22-7a99e2a50e7a (resized).jpg
9fb79a33-1b60-44a7-81b0-ec5daa5f95e1 (resized).jpg
9db81fae-6d93-4195-aa9b-1b97ffa05943 (resized).jpg
20230604_135119 (resized).jpg
20230604_135202 (resized).jpg
20230604_135050 (resized).jpg
20230604_135111 (resized).jpg
20230604_135100 (resized).jpg
20230604_135016 (resized).jpg
20230604_134603 (resized).jpg
20230604_134518 (resized).jpg
20230604_134439 (resized).jpg
20230604_134423 (resized).jpg
20230604_134357 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gundam_pilot_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hello everyone. I acquired a very unique game from local Craigslist last night called "Thunder Man" by a company called Apple Time. I see that it is documented in IPDB database. It's clearly based after the movie escape from New York featuring Kurt Russell. The game seems to use generation 2 Zaccaria boards, but I have no clue what the assemblies / coils are. 'm guessing that the name of the company references the "Big Apple" due to the movie it's themed after. But of course that's just my speculation. I was wondering if anyone else owns one if these things? What does something like this command on the market?
I was wondering if anyone had any information in this game. Of if there's a backstory to this game. I attached a slew of pictures of this game.

image-441.jpgimage-441.jpg image-269.jpgimage-269.jpg image-384.jpgimage-384.jpg image-231.jpgimage-231.jpg image-530.jpgimage-530.jpg image-889.jpgimage-889.jpg image-58.jpgimage-58.jpg image-520.jpgimage-520.jpg image-274.jpgimage-274.jpg image-247.jpgimage-247.jpg image-291.jpgimage-291.jpg image-19.jpgimage-19.jpg image-954.jpgimage-954.jpg image-149.jpgimage-149.jpg image-929.jpgimage-929.jpg image-255.jpgimage-255.jpg image-760.jpgimage-760.jpg image-287.jpgimage-287.jpg image-385.jpgimage-385.jpg
#6 10 years ago

No unfortunately it does not yet. He was stating that it had was blowing a fuse on startup. Off initial observation, it looks like the fuse holder was bad. There was also regular sized fuses in the mini fuse folder on the power board. The prongs on the holder were not even making contact with the contacts on the fuse. So with that being said, first thing i need to do is replace the fuse holder. And honestly, I may change all 4 while i'm at it. Once it is up, I will post a video and inform inquiring minds how it plays.

Quoted from silver_spinner:

saw it and tried to buy it for the $300 asking price on Michigan c list. he spammed it in every city .i wanted it badly, not to flip, but to play and keep and use in tournaments for many to enjoy since its not common. i was willing to drive asap and responded 5 minutes after the ad came out but i didn't get a response until later and he said "someones coming today". guess that was you lol.

Yah i texted him within minutes that night. He got back to me and we arranged for tuesday night. For the $300 price tag I couldnt let this one slip through my fingers. I know I would never see one again in my life. I guess hes had it for awhile, he was saying that it he picked it up at the michigan pinball show a long time ago. He got it through the door, and it stopped working after playing it for only 3 weeks. It will be staying for sure. I like some of the rarer stuff. Besides, it will look nice next to my farfalla since they are both Zaccaria cabs. I have already arranged with Dave Gersic to get scans of the owners manual I have, as well as dumping the roms that it has.

On another note, does anyone recognize any of the coils/assemblies? I am trying to figure out where they are from. I was thinking maybe Bell Games, or something odd. Its stuff I have never seen before.

#8 10 years ago

Yah I will start taking a look at it once I get my TAFG back together. I have it torn apart now doing a shop job. Besides It looks like I cant pick up the fuse holders anywhere locally, It will have to be online :/

#13 10 years ago

The rollover switches are clearly zac, but it looks like some, but not all assemblies are gottlieb. And the coils are definitely not.

Quoted from metallik:

Pretty sure this was at PATZ about 5-6 years ago. It was a Kirk Weaver import IIRC. I was sorta tempted to buy it then but had no transportation for it, and it didn't seem all that fun. Still a really cool find. I love the Appletime logo...

Yah thats where the guy said he picked it up from. He said "awhile ago" so i was not sure on the time frame, but it would make sense. I am assuming it is the same game.

7 months later
#21 9 years ago

If anyone picked this up, please contact me. I really could use a copy of the game rom to get mine up and running

2 months later
#22 9 years ago

Bumping this again. Still looking for someone that has this game so I can get a rom copy! Ease contact me if you have one!

3 months later
#23 8 years ago

Bumping this again guys. Someone has to have this game!!!! I really need the rom to this so I can get my game running!

#28 8 years ago

Looks like a false alarm. Roms look like my bad roms from Zaccaria-Pinball.com

Still on the hunt for these roms guys. Please help a fellow pinsider out!

#29 8 years ago

In Fact one just recently popped up on craigslist.

tallahassee.craigslist.org link

Someone go buy it and then get the roms dumped so I can get my game running

#31 8 years ago

I have contacted him a couple times with no luck. According to the info pinside provides, he hasn't logged on since june of last year.

#34 8 years ago

The roms that are from Dave Gersics website actually came from my game when I sent him in my boards to check out since they are zaccaria Gen 2 boards. He has tried looking into the rom code for repair, but the one IC for the game rom is just too far gone according to dave. Essentially any references on his site to thunder man came from me and my game. Which is why it sucks because since its such a rare game, it makes it extremely difficult to source that rom. When I do get the rom code we will make a new chip, then we will move forward and fix the boards so I can get the game running. Either way I need to find someone that owns the game, and is also willing to part with their CPU for a short period of time.

3 weeks later
#35 8 years ago

Bump this again here. Did anyone snag that thunder man in Florida???

tallahassee.craigslist.org link

If you or someone you know did in fact buy this game, please let me know!

1 year later
#39 7 years ago

Hey guys I just wanted to update this. About a year ago I sourced the original rom code for this game from one of the original picture posters on IPDB.

This weekend I just fired this game up at and for the Cleveland Pinball and Arcade Show. This was the first time I have ever fired this thing up in the 4 years that I've owned it. I did a really quick shop job on it, and LED'd it. It held up at the show very well and is actually a very fun game.

I wanted to put out some really special thanks to Dave Gersic for working with me on getting the boardset working and burning the Roms for me.

I also want to put out a very special a Pete Deardoff. I know he will never see this shot out since he's not a pinsider. But without that guy having a copy of the original rom, I would have never been able to source it.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#43 7 years ago

yeah I tried sourcing roms from apple time. The company still exists. But I always seem to get no response.

6 years later
#47 1 year ago
Quoted from dvs626:

Thanks Alan_L!
I will certainly ask him if he has a source for English speech ROMS as I too would like to get my hands on this if it exists.
Regarding the pictures, anything you can grab a photo of for me would be very useful. I don't think I'll get to Thunder Man until mid-next year as I have my hands full with Cobra so plenty of time for you to take whatever pictures you can and send them across at your leisure.
In the meantime, I wonder if I can ask if anyone has the dimensions of the cabinet for Thunder Man, id imagine it's the same as a Gen 2 Zaccaria cabinet?
Reason why I'm asking is because I'd like to get started on creating the cabinet graphics, haven't quite decided what that would look like yet.
I've seen the Appletime cabinet, I've seen the all black cabinet with the Thunder Man text, I'm not certain on which was original to the game.
I'd also like to get creative and maybe mockup my own design, but I really am torn because keeping it original is always best (I think), but I'm not overly impressed with the cabinet design, especially when you compare it to the playfield art which is awesome! Feel free to share your thoughts on this.

I was the one that submitted pictures of the one on IPDB. I would say mine is probably factory. The artwork is applied through screening/spray, and is not a decal. The art looks like its not added after, and the base paint really only shows that it is original, and not a paint over.

The all black example seems like someone printed a decal and slapped it over the black, but I could be wrong. If I owned something with no art, and was willing to do the work, I mean.............. I love keeping my games close to original, but man you're not wrong about the artwork being lack-luster

And yes the cabinet for sure is Gen2 Zac

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gundam_pilot_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apple-time-thunder-man-info-zaccariaunknown-hybrid?tu=gundam_pilot_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.