(Topic ID: 155010)

Apparently pinball podcasts are bizarre.

By PanaPinResto

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

231256701_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

YouTube video of "Bizarre Podcasts-Mental Floss" lists two different pinball podcasts as bizarre.

#2 8 years ago

cool

#3 8 years ago

I thoroughly enjoy all the new podcasts/facetube rants newer guys make when they act weird to get nearly blackballed by the community.

I guess everyone needs their 15 minutes.

"Disclaimer" not directed at linked podcast in op's post

I'll be making some MySpace posts if anyone wants to follow

#4 8 years ago

Pinball it itself in not really an obscure hobby, as people have been collecting machines for over 90 years.

This is not collecting washing machines, ~3000 collectors...
    Even a EM pinball machine is about 1000X more complex than a washing machine.
    Lets all have a "wash in" hoedown anyway and watch the spin cycle through the window.
    This might qualify as "obscure".

There was not really an aggressive interest in games in the early 1900s because electricity was new.
    Things really did not get started until after the Great Depression, predominantly after WWII and the industrial revolution picked up pace.
    People finally had money and time for hobbies such as pinball, beyond going to penny arcades.

It was relatively unknown by non-pinheads up through the early 80-90s due to lack of internet exposure, not that people did not know about pinball, just did not know you could own machines for their home (used or new)!

There are/were a ton of EM and early SS collectors through the 80s, as the games were highly affordable.
    Especially during the transition from EM to SS, as you could get EM games for less than $50-100, or just FREE as operators did not want them.
    So many machines were lost to landfills after the lift of the 1976 "ban", because people just did not want them or had no idea how to fix them.
    Thousands of backglasses and parts could have been harvested from these machines.

What is bizarre in the modern era are the number of pinball podcasts that are talking completely out of their a$$, and not want to establish any form of credibility in the hobby or industry.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Pinball it itself in not really an obscure hobby, as people have been collecting machines for over 90 years.
    This is not collecting washing machines, ~3000 collectors...
    Even a EM pinball machine is about 1000X more complex than a washing machine.
    Lets all have a "wash in" hoedown anyway and watch the spin cycle through the window.
    This might qualify as "obscure".
    » YouTube video
    There was not really an aggressive interest in games in the early 1900s because electricity was new.
    Things really did not get started until after the Great Depression, predominantly after WWII and the industrial revolution picked up pace.
    People finally had money and time for hobbies such as pinball, beyond going to penny arcades.
    It was relatively unknown by non-pinheads up through the early 80-90s due to lack of internet exposure, not that people did not know about pinball, just did not know you could own machines for their home (used or new)!
    There are/were a ton of EM and early SS collectors through the 80s, as the games were highly affordable.
    Especially during the transition from EM to SS, as you could get EM games for less than $50-100, or just FREE as operators did not want them.
    So many machines were lost to landfills after the lift of the 1976 "ban", because people just did not want them or had no idea how to fix them.
    Thousands of backglasses and parts could have been harvested from these machines.
    What is bizarre in the modern era are the number of pinball podcasts that are talking completely out of their a$$, and not want to establish any form of credibility in the hobby or industry.

Does every post you leave have to be a novel? Good fucking grief you are annoying.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Does every post you leave have to be a novel? Good fucking grief you are annoying.

I guess my decision to ignore whoever that was you responded to was a good one.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

YouTube video of "Bizarre Podcasts-Mental Floss" lists two different pinball podcasts as bizarre.
    » YouTube video

This guy obviously has some kind of problem that he feels he needs to make lists of everything and post them on the Internet.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

...This is not collecting washing machines, ~3000 collectors...

Srsly. WTF.

I can understand what gets someone into pinball. They're fun.
    I can understand what gets someone into stamps. The collection will fit on a shelf, and there's a historical aspect. And artwork.
    I can understand what gets someone into coins. Again, historical aspect. And to some extent artwork. And currency has tied together every civilization for 1000's of years.
    I can understand what gets someone into cats. They do cute things and make videos of themselves, or so I am led to believe.
    I can understand what gets someone into almost any kind of collecting.

But washing machines? That's a truckload of wtf.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I have been given some good advice from him. I think the black Knight has added to the site and goes out of his way to help people. I can see ragging on guys who add negativity or stir the pot all the time, but just because you don't like his writing style doesn't mean he shouldn't contribute. I have learned a few things and appreciate it when people take the time to explain their viewpoint rather than just push it on everyone.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

But washing machines? That's a truckload of wtf.

It's not that hard to understand. There's an art aspect to it with the way they used to design logos and the controls. The unique colors they don't offer anymore like turquoise or that dark red. They're neat like old fridges or stoves.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I have been given some good advice from him. I think the black Knight has added to the site and goes out of his way to help people. I can see ragging on guys who add negativity or stir the pot all the time, but just because you don't like his writing style doesn't mean he shouldn't contribute. I have learned a few things and appreciate it when people take the time to explain their viewpoint rather than just push it on everyone.

I hope you learned a shitload about washing machines

Besides, I left a smiley face so big fuggin deal anywho....

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's not that hard to understand. There's an art aspect to it with the way they used to design logos and the controls. The unique colors they don't offer anymore like turquoise or that dark red. They're neat like old fridges or stoves.

231256701_(resized).jpg231256701_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

Seems like this guy is just calling everyone passionate about anything bizarre. People who talk about Taylor Swift, or Full House, or collecting autographs. I don't do those things so that's DOWNRIGHT STRANGE.

#14 8 years ago

They should have said " unusual " instead of bizarre. I'd accept unusual.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apparently-pinball-podcasts-are-bizarre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.