20151126_234304_resized.jpg
20151126_235204_resized.jpg
20151203_003654_zpsyqekwrzk.jpg
pasted_image.png
20151125_155610_resized_2.jpg
20151128_135714.jpg
20151128_135929.jpg
1415529446349_wps_10_Tesco_unveils_its_2014_Ch.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KingDaddy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

...but I freaking love LED's baby!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you fogot the bulbs in WH2O topper
All that matters is you enjoy them.

Nope - I bought the Great Lakes topper board which enables LED's up there.

Btw, in person, these look killer - the pic came out like a cartoon. The incandescents looked drab and dark - you couldn't see the artwork

Took a few more pics up close, but WH20 doesn't look anywhere near as blue and flat as pic. Much more subtle.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Did you check your GI connector to see if it was toasted? That's usually the problem.

Nope - that wasn't an issue. I just don't appreciate how flat and dim incandescents are, particularly in a dark environment.

#46 8 years ago

Didn't realize I'd stir up the anti LED mob... Scary these "new-fangled" bulbs are - and no doubt "dangerous for young minds"...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i will say in his defense, generally cameras greatly amplify the intensity of colored GI.

Exactly. The pics don't look anything like the reality... The WH20 has frosted blues from Art in the GI's where appropriate - that's all. They're not "purple", they don't look like "pink elephants"... they match the plastics they're under, and match the water theme. They are less distracting than white GI's since they're actually more muted.

No, they're not what the game shipped with in 1993.

And they do look much better in person.

They just don't photograph well.

#86 8 years ago

Just switched in some Comet "Natural White" Opti's under the WH20 slingshots... Looks like more balanced palette - and you can't see the the bulbs under slingshots, so not a distraction.

Picture is still not true, but here it is anyway...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That shot looks pretty good!!!...are you using cool white under the inserts? Can never really tell with photos (I take the worst), but the white under your yellow inserts look like they are clear, or no cap, ...the frosted 2led sunlights definitely seem to soften and disperse the light really well.....I just mention this because I was unhappy w "spotlight effect" under some of my inserts, and those bulbs really did the trick for me.....
Nice machine btw (will have one someday, hopefully).....

The inserts are all color-matched and non-ghosting.

Btw, this is my second WH20 - and it's a complete restoration - including new clear coated Mirco PF, all new PF parts - ramps/targets/mountains - literally everything... New flipper builds... New boards... New speakers... Color DMD... All new topper dome, light boards... New glass, legs and on and on...

#146 8 years ago

Switched out a few more blues for whites in the lower GI - looks very good. I started to switch some on the upper PF, but the whites were distracting... The blues look much better. Think I'm done...

Again, in person the lighting looks spectacular - and I would even dare say "tasteful." No sore eyes... Original game colors are vibrant and true. More visible than they ever were with incandescent.

This picture is grossly over-saturating the reds and blues, but here you go anyway...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#216 8 years ago

I guess this guy got hold of the blue LED's I removed from my WH20....image.jpgimage.jpg

#290 8 years ago

Actually, a game lit white LED's in most rooms/venues captures more of the true intent of the designer's art direction. You can actually see their work.

Conversely, it is hard to make out the color via the dim, muted and yellow incandescent light. Unless you're in a very well lit room. But, hey, that was the only option for these guys.

I suspect that many of you look at this through the prism of nostalgia: these games were all lit this way when you played them years ago, so that's what feels "right."

As for colored GI lighting, that does change the "look" of a game. In some spots and instances it works. But is a departure, no question.

1 week later
#367 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

My first WH20 was $800 and TOTAN $2200. Times have changed. LEDs must have made up the cost difference...

That's just pure supply and demand economics, my friend. If you bought games like WH20 for $800 - consider yourself blessed.... That's a 500%+ appreciation, and if you bought a lot of games like that, you have helped your family (while having a lot of fun, of course).

I'm one of the suckers who paid today's prices.

As for LED's - I have a pin up for sale that I have offered to custom tailor the lights for the buyer, in part due to the opinions expressed in this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KingDaddy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apologies-to-the-purists?tu=KingDaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.