20151126_234304_resized.jpg
20151126_235204_resized.jpg
20151203_003654_zpsyqekwrzk.jpg
pasted_image.png
20151125_155610_resized_2.jpg
20151128_135714.jpg
20151128_135929.jpg
1415529446349_wps_10_Tesco_unveils_its_2014_Ch.jpg
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

In the alternate pinball world do anti-LEDers buy new stern games and replace them with incandescents? I'd love to see some pics.

I don't think there are any "anti-LEDers" left on Pinside, but there sure are some folks that hate incandescent!

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I don't think there are any "anti-LEDers" left on Pinside, but there sure are some folks that hate incandescent!

Incandescent are so old school and obsolete, tough to find any reason to leave them in any machine.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Having seen the Comet 2-LED sunlights in the examples above, I'm thinking of grabbing a pack or two as well for my RBION.

You might want to try putting in other leds (if you haven't) in RBION before you buy. It is the only pin I own with no LEDs in it...literally could not tell the difference, so it was a waste of time/money/fading effects for me anyway.
Mind you that was inserts only, not GI.

Quoted from centerflank:

Incandescent are so old school and obsolete, tough to find any reason to leave them in any machine.

Until someone makes a cheap way to make them dim properly, they're sticking around.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You're just trying to draw me out, man. Not gonna happen! I love LEDs and incandescents. Nice to live in a time of many options.

#105 8 years ago

Too many good LED bulbs that resemble the look of inc's yet operate more efficiently and cost less in the long run.

Art aka comet has some really kick ass bulbs, I loved the sunlight bulbs in a TZ I used to have, I never saw the warm whites in person but in general, the way they disperse the light is far superior. No question about that, it's fact/science.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

No question about that, it's fact/science.

I was going to say something, but you just can't argue with fact/science.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Too many good LED bulbs that resemble the look of inc's yet operate more efficiently and cost less in the long run.

Well they are more efficient, but really, WGAF (other than ops)? And they aren't cheaper "in the long run". I have some incandescents that have lasted 10 years or more. I'd need to replace an incandescent bulb 7-10 times for an LED to be cheaper.

I'll drink the Kool-Aid, but I'm not taking a bath in it.

#108 8 years ago

What about the article in Scientific American that say LEDs cause cancer?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/led-lightbulb-concerns/

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well they are more efficient, but really, WGAF? And they aren't cheaper "in the long run". I have some incandescents that have lasted 10 years or more. I'd need to replace an incandescent bulb 7-10 times for an LED to be cheaper.
I'll drink the Kool-Aid, but I'm not taking a bath in it.

over the few years I've been using PBL LED's I've not had any burn out.

What bulbs were you using that we're going bad?

#111 8 years ago

I thought the blues ones caused Impotency?

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

over the few years I've been using PBL LED's I've not had any burn out.
What bulbs were you using that we're going bad?

None of my LEDs have gone bad. My point is, a 555 bulb is 10 cents, and it's at least 70 cents to buy a no-ghost, non-flicker replacement for it.

#114 8 years ago

But incandescent bulbs have actual fire in them.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Just like the sun that nourishes us.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

None of my LEDs have gone bad. My point is, a 555 bulb is 10 cents, and it's at least 70 cents to buy a no-ghost, non-flicker replacement for it.

Ah, I misread, anyway, how long does it take to make up the 60 cents with the lower power usage?

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ah, I misread, anyway, how long does it take to make up the 60 cents with the lower power usage?

Switching a game over to simple, single LEDs (not the crazy bright ones) saves $7 a month if you leave the game on 24/7.

If it costs ~$200 to convert a game over, then you figure that in 2.5 years you will hit the break even point.

-

If you use super bright LEDs (that use much more power), or only turn your game on a few hours a week, you will probably never break even.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Switching a game over to simple, single LEDs (not the crazy bright ones) saves $7 a month if you leave the game on 24/7.
If it costs ~$200 to convert a game over, then you figure that in 2.5 years you will hit the break even point.
-
If you use super bright LEDs (that use much more power), or only turn your game on a few hours a week, you will probably never break even.

Thank you!

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Longer than I'll be in the hobby, most likely. When I retire I'm going to sell all these games and turn the basement into a giant ball-pit.

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I thought the blues ones caused Impotency?

I need a T-Shirt with this on it!

Quoted from swampfire:

Best Bulb Line All Year! Love your thinking!

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Longer than I'll be in the hobby, most likely. When I retire I'm going to sell all these games and turn the basement into a giant ball-pit.

What's the over/under on used diapers found after cleaning out the ball pit?

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-

So if my games are on 3 hours a day, it would take 20 years to break even.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

What's the over/under on used diapers found after cleaning out the ball pit?

The maid will take care of those when she comes to clean the dungeon room.

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The maid will take care of those when she comes to clean the dungeon room.

Just make sure she cleans off the dining room table

#125 8 years ago

LEDs improve many games drastically. My monopoly is much much better with LEDs. You can see the properties light up much better and the overall brightness of the game is incredible. Same goes for my RFM and X-MEN. Never having to change a bulb is nice also. I would not own another game with I bulbs.

#126 8 years ago

I concede: I'm old and washed-up, and I only like incandescent bulbs because we're both obsolete, dim, dark, dirty, tired and sallow.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-

Ughh, switching a game to all single LEDs, spending $200 to do so, expecting to save money, and leaving games on all day. This hypothetical person does everything wrong.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

LEDs improve many games drastically. My Monopoly is much much better with LEDs. You can see the properties light up much better and the overall brightness of the game is incredible. Same goes for my RFM and X-MEN. Never having to change a bulb is nice also. I would not own another game with I bulbs.

I fully agree. Monopoly is the only pin I own and with a little help from pinrookie who also owns a beautiful monopoly that has LEDs, this game benefits greatly from them. I didn't know anything about them other than what I have read so I just took the chance of color matching the LEDs to the inserts or plastics and it is like night and day. Instead of a game that looks like it was made in 2001 it looks like it was made in 2015. It was money well spent for the enjoyment even if I never break even through energy savings.

#129 8 years ago

You can't hurt it, it's a Monopoly. Go crazy.

#130 8 years ago

When I switched Spider-Man over to all LED's I could have sworn I only spent ~80~

Spending 200 means you might be doing it wrong

#131 8 years ago

Yep, it's a Monopoly with ColorDMD, undercab lighting, cointaker LEDs that color match the game, lighted flipper buttons, and looks brand new. Actually a very fun game that anyone can play, yet still challenging. Incandescent bulbs suck. They are hot, dirty, and burn out one by one making the game no fun to play since you are always chasing a burned out bulb. Same people that don't like LEDs also want their Holley 4-barrel carb back on their 1970 Chevelle thinking that because it stinks, is loud, and that they can "burn rubber" the car is automatically fast. Pretty funny to watch a 2.0L Turbo Fusion blow it's doors off while getting 35 MPG and burning LEDs

#132 8 years ago

Swamp.....you coming to Orlando this weekend?

#133 8 years ago

They are ...... dirty

Incandescent bulbs are vacuum sealed, gas tight.

How dirty can they be?

#134 8 years ago

Obviously I'm an idiot....I was just using LEDs because I like the way they look....

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Just make sure she cleans off the dining room table

Don't know if there's a story behind this, but regardless, I hope she uses a different rag for the table....

#136 8 years ago

Pretty funny to watch a 2.0L Turbo Fusion

They are funny because there are usually clowns driving them.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Don't know if there's a story behind this, but regardless, I hope she uses a different rag for the table....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/someone-is-unloading-a-bunch-of-games-in-denver

#139 8 years ago

To the Op, everybody gives an opinion. Shit you like what you like, if you think your machines look badass then they are badass. Dont apologize to any one. It is cool to see all the option leds do for our pins. Most people who post cant change a bulb themselves or read somewhere that this is the only way to do it.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Swamp.....you coming to Orlando this weekend?

Unfortunately, no (anniversary weekend in Brevard, NC instead). I know a ton of Atlanta folks who are going, though.

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Everyone that plays my Maverick loves that it's bright and easy to see when playing, especially when they try to play an older, darker game like Pinbot right after playing Maverick.

mav.jpg

Your Maverick looks so much better, great choice in colors!

Quoted from dothedoo:

Here's a couple of pics of Xenon with Comet LEDs. I have 2-LED clear sunlight in the GI now. It's very bright, but Xenon is normally a dark game due to very few GI bulbs so I like it. I didn't use sunlight in places where the bulb was directly visible to the player, like the one right behind the tube. The color in the arch and behind the drops are not colored bulbs, they are colored sleeves, which is how it was done from the factory. Under the playfield is all single LED clear warm white retros except for the blues and reds which I color matched.
IMG_7330.JPG
IMG_7328.JPG

Very tastefully done, Bravo!

I only like LEDs myself when I can couple them with an LEDOCD board. Without the correct software or hardware LEDs will never replicate the action of incandescent bulbs. No arguing that point.

LEDs can always be changed out.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Your Maverick looks so much better, great choice in colors!

Very tastefully done, Bravo!
I only like LEDs myself when I can couple them with an LEDOCD board. Without the correct software or hardware LEDs will never replicate the action of incandescent bulbs. No arguing that point.
LEDs can always be changed out.

Thanks. I'll agree with you on the LEDOCD board for some games, the fade effects on Pinbot is one reason I still have incs in the inserts.

Another good reason to use LEDS, no more of this:

bumpercap_old_2.jpgbumpercap_old_2.jpg

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Another good reason to use LEDS, no more of this:

I agree, I always replace the bulbs in pop bumpers, for older games with one-off caps.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

The fact that you can do an entire game for about 5 bucks isn't a good enough reason for you?

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of spending 200 clams to make my games look like the photos in the first post in this thread.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fact that you can do an entire game for about 5 bucks isn't a good enough reason for you?
I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of spending 200 clams to make my games look like the photos in the first post in this thread.

Of course incandescents are still the much cheaper option, but you should only be spending $200+ on LEDs for a game if you're including the LED OCD board.

#146 8 years ago

Switched out a few more blues for whites in the lower GI - looks very good. I started to switch some on the upper PF, but the whites were distracting... The blues look much better. Think I'm done...

Again, in person the lighting looks spectacular - and I would even dare say "tasteful." No sore eyes... Original game colors are vibrant and true. More visible than they ever were with incandescent.

This picture is grossly over-saturating the reds and blues, but here you go anyway...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You haven't met me then. I do admit I do have LEDs in some of my game's pop bumpers, but none for GI or inserts in any of my pins.

I've got a few baggies of LEDs I pulled out of some recent games I bought...

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Switched out a few more blues for for whites in the lower GI - looks very good.

this. applause, do your 'courtsey'

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, not even close.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea

Not surprised

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Switched out a few more blues for whites in the lower GI - looks very good...

...KEEP GOING....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apologies-to-the-purists/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.