20151126_234304_resized.jpg
20151126_235204_resized.jpg
20151203_003654_zpsyqekwrzk.jpg
pasted_image.png
20151125_155610_resized_2.jpg
20151128_135714.jpg
20151128_135929.jpg
1415529446349_wps_10_Tesco_unveils_its_2014_Ch.jpg
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Your Whitewater appears to have been transported to the Neutral Zone.

There's a Whitewater on that pic????

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Didn't realize I'd stir up the anti LED mob... Scary these "new-fangled" bulbs are - and no doubt "dangerous for young minds"...

It's attitudes like this that keep people from having useful discussions about pinball lighting.

(Edited for niceness)

#53 8 years ago

i will say in his defense, generally cameras greatly amplify the intensity of colored GI.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Nope - that wasn't an issue. I just don't appreciate how flat and dim incandescents are, particularly in a dark environment.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

I hate having a headache and having to look away during gameplay...

Everyone that plays my Maverick loves that it's bright and easy to see when playing, especially when they try to play an older, darker game like Pinbot right after playing Maverick.

mav.jpgmav.jpg

#55 8 years ago

For me, I simply can't follow the ball on a multi colored GI playfield.
For me, it's blues and greens, as TWD doesn't bother me, but that's factory planned.
Here or there...OK.
Of course I love many games in incandescent , how could we not?
It's all very personal, and not even a debate any more.

What I do hope is that one decides, when they go to a show, or see a new Stern,
Is if you like the look and enjoy playing.

After all isn't in a way the opposite to expect that someone buys
An AC DC or TWD and posts a pic that they took all the leds out and replaced
With incandescent? I'd love to see this pic. No issues if you did.

Everyone is right, Viva LA difference!

#56 8 years ago

Love LED lighting but purple all over whitewater. That's a no-go

#57 8 years ago

That Maverick is a great example of LEDs done right.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

After all isn't in a way the opposite to expect that someone buys
An AC DC or TWD and posts a pic that they took all the leds out and replaced
With incandescent? I'd love to see this pic.

Me too! I'd eventually like to pick up a TWD, and I'd definitely do it. The only problem is that the feature lamps would probably be too bright, and those are permanently LED, right?

#59 8 years ago

LEDS are great and I use them a lot. It's just these particular LEDS, the Wh20 for example, that look like total and utter shit.

But on the positive side, they look as good as the your glued toys on top of your STNG.

#60 8 years ago

We are in the process of converting every incandescent bulb over to leds. Not trying to make them look led'ed just trying to save power with close to 40 games running there now.

They are starting to look really good with some help from Art.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Me too! I'd eventually like to pick up a TWD, and I'd definitely do it. The only problem is that the feature lamps would probably be too bright, and those are permanently LED, right?

We put Arts warm white in our walking dead it was worlds better. Don't need superbrights everywhere. Hell I prefer no super brights for the most part.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But on the positive side, they look as good as the your glued toys on top of your STNG.

ROFL!!!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Everyone that plays my Maverick loves that it's bright and easy to see when playing, especially when they try to play an older, darker game like Pinbot right after playing Maverick.

mav.jpg

Yeah, ok. But you are not seriously comparing that tastefully done, kind of original but brighter looking Maverick to the OPs excessive love for wacky colors?

#64 8 years ago

No never heard of them,I'll check to see if available in the UK..

Anyone used these sunlight bulbs in an EM?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Anyone used these sunlight bulbs in an EM?

No Photos yet, as they have just been released in 2 LED. A 2 LED Frosted, will be about 30% or so brighter then an Incandescent,
and about 1.5% brighter in clear.

http://www.cometpinball.com/Comet-Pinball-2-LEDs-p/2led.htm

I recommend these for EM and SS. They are the original bulbs used in First release of AC/DC.

We released 1 SMD in Sunlight at the same time, so all 3 brightness are now available in Sunlight!

Watch for our Holiday Sales Coming up!

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

No Photos yet, as they have just been released in 2 LED. A 2 LED Frosted, will be about 30% or so brighter then an Incandescent,
and about 1.5% brighter in clear.
http://www.cometpinball.com/Comet-Pinball-2-LEDs-p/2led.htm

I'm about to order a 100-pack of these. Loved the sunlight color, but the 1-SMD was a little too bright for me (for GI).

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm about to order a 100-pack. Loved the sunlight color, but the 1-SMD was a little too bright for me (for GI).

Gotcha, try 1 step lower.....in the 2 LED.....either frosted or clear. I havent heard anyone feel the 2 Frosted was too bright...more,
"Just Right!"

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

We are in the process of converting every incandescent bulb over to leds. Not trying to make them look led'ed just trying to save power with close to 40 games running there now.
They are starting to look really good with some help from Art.

Those look great. What's your LED "formula" for the backbox and playfield GI?

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i will say in his defense, generally cameras greatly amplify the intensity of colored GI.

Exactly. The pics don't look anything like the reality... The WH20 has frosted blues from Art in the GI's where appropriate - that's all. They're not "purple", they don't look like "pink elephants"... they match the plastics they're under, and match the water theme. They are less distracting than white GI's since they're actually more muted.

No, they're not what the game shipped with in 1993.

And they do look much better in person.

They just don't photograph well.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Exactly. The pics don't look anything like the reality... The WH20 has frosted blues from Art in the GI's where appropriate - that's all. They're not "purple", they don't look like "pink elephants"... they match the plastics they're under, and match the water theme. They are less distracting than white GI's since they're actually more muted.
No, they're not what the game shipped with in 1993.
And they do look much better in person.
They just don't photograph well.

Yes, but he posted the picture knowing what it looked like in the picture. From the title of the thread it was just to start another unnecessary LED battle that never goes anywhere since it comes down to preference.

#71 8 years ago

To each his own. It's really not that big of a deal to change out bulbs, so just do what you like.

My EM is old-school. My LAH is half and half because I'm too lazy to break down the top to change the GI. (Damn staples.) My other pins are tastefully done in LEDs that brighten them up and are only color-coded on the inserts... with one exception.

My Gofers will give people seizures, and I love it. I've got super powerful LEDs in the 6(?) spotlights, plus 8-SMD flashers in every one of the 13ish flashers in that thing, color-coded to the red/white/blue on the raised ramp ones. I play in the pitch dark, and when it's multi-ball time it lights up the entire basement like a disco on crack. Awwwww yeah. (No wonder my husband has migraines, lol.)

#72 8 years ago

Without agreeing with your colored GI choices, I'll agree that most pictures of LEDs are overexposed.

I use OpMax bulbs everywhere and Comet's website makes it look like they take over the game. In person they look great.

pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png

#73 8 years ago

They took our incandescent bulbs!!!!!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Without agreeing with your colored GI choices, I'll agree that most pictures of LEDs are overexposed.
I use OpMax bulbs everywhere and Comet's website makes it look like they take over the game. In person they look great.

Because these throw light at over 300 degrees, I have tried so hard to photograph.....Failure all the time....A Must have bulb of 6-8 pieces for the opportunity in any game....

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

...My Gofers will give people seizures, and I love it. I've got super powerful LEDs in the 6(?) spotlights, plus 8-SMD flashers in every one of the 13ish flashers in that thing, color-coded to the red/white/blue on the raised ramp ones...

This post has been reported for abuse. An eject has been issued for threatening player's health.

#76 8 years ago

Personally I love my LEDs from comet but not everyone would I'm sure. As has been said, like everything, it comes down to personal preference. I don't think the op really meant any harm to anyone in his first post.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Yeah, ok. But you are not seriously comparing that tastefully done, kind of original but brighter looking Maverick to the OPs excessive love for wacky colors?

No, It was a commentary on not being able to see. LEDs should always enhance the playing experience, even if there are colors used. Every game is different, too. F-14 Tomcat without LEDs is already over the top from lighting. The problem is most F-14s have incredibly faded inserts. I used CT premiums in mine. Some personal touches include a spice of amber near the center target island and a mix of warm and cool whites. This one can get to be a problem to play if the room is completely dark, however. You have to use some ambient lighting if you want to do any serious playing. Every game is different, every room is different, and of course we all have our own choices.

79680.jpg79680.jpg

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

This post has been reported for abuse. An eject has been issued for threatening player's health.

Maybe that's why nobody ever comes to my house.

(Or it could be that there are no pin people within 2 hours in any direction. )

#79 8 years ago

Here's a couple of pics of Xenon with Comet LEDs. I have 2-LED clear sunlight in the GI now. It's very bright, but Xenon is normally a dark game due to very few GI bulbs so I like it. I didn't use sunlight in places where the bulb was directly visible to the player, like the one right behind the tube. The color in the arch and behind the drops are not colored bulbs, they are colored sleeves, which is how it was done from the factory. Under the playfield is all single LED clear warm white retros except for the blues and reds which I color matched.

IMG_7330.JPGIMG_7330.JPG
IMG_7328.JPGIMG_7328.JPG

#80 8 years ago

Next up will be a Gottlieb Genesis, and I have LOTS of ideas for it. If everything works out it should be very cool. Look for a big order coming your way soon, Art.

#81 8 years ago

Watch for our sale next week.......

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh Noooooo (more $$$ to spend)!!!! btw, the 2LED frosted sunlights look amazing!!!!!

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Those look great. What's your LED "formula" for the backbox and playfield GI?

My formula has been 100% warm white 2LED frosted from Art at Comet. GI, Playfield, Backboxes and Inserts. All the same bulbs. It's magic!

-Jim

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

#85 8 years ago

Everything in moderation.

Just don't use those cheap flickery ones. A friend of mine has those in a few of his games and it makes them unplayable.

#86 8 years ago

Just switched in some Comet "Natural White" Opti's under the WH20 slingshots... Looks like more balanced palette - and you can't see the the bulbs under slingshots, so not a distraction.

Picture is still not true, but here it is anyway...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#87 8 years ago

My formula has been 100% warm white 2LED frosted from Art at Comet. GI, Playfield, Backboxes and Inserts. All the same bulbs. It's magic!
-Jim

Almost with you there.....I'm moving to the 2 LED frosted sunlights (slowly...I'm basically lazy away from work), as they just look great.....I'll play with colors a little on clear inserts and backbox (not GI), sometimes match colors w blue and red just to richen the color up (learned my lesson w yellows and oranges though)

Lately, I've just been going blind (while fascinating myself) endlessly tweaking stuff w Herg's board.....it's an addiction, I tell you!!!

#88 8 years ago

These pictures reminded me of fun times playing in a local league that I dropped out of. I really enjoyed the competition and fellowship but that was always partially offset by the seizure-induced pants-loading I would experience. I thought about just showing up in a bathing suit that I could hose off outside but then the league was in the wintertime so it didn't seem practical...

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Just switched in some Comet "Natural White" Opti's under the WH20 slingshots... Looks like more balanced palette - and you can't see the the bulbs under slingshots, so not a distraction.
image.jpg

Looks much better. Now change the title of your posts so it doesn't sound like you're calling people out.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

image.jpg

That shot looks pretty good!!!...are you using cool white under the inserts? Can never really tell with photos (I take the worst), but the white under your yellow inserts look like they are clear, or no cap, ...the frosted 2led sunlights definitely seem to soften and disperse the light really well.....I just mention this because I was unhappy w "spotlight effect" under some of my inserts, and those bulbs really did the trick for me.....

Nice machine btw (will have one someday, hopefully).....

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That shot looks pretty good!!!...are you using cool white under the inserts? Can never really tell with photos (I take the worst), but the white under your yellow inserts look like they are clear, or no cap, ...the frosted 2led sunlights definitely seem to soften and disperse the light really well.....I just mention this because I was unhappy w "spotlight effect" under some of my inserts, and those bulbs really did the trick for me.....

If you've got a bunch of clear caps it's easy to "frost" them with a bit of sandpaper if you want to try that out.

#92 8 years ago

We put Arts warm white in our Walking Dead it was worlds better. Don't need superbrights everywhere. Hell I prefer no super brights for the most part.

Are all of the LEDs in the new Sterns user-replaceable? I played GOT Pro recently and for some reason they went with cool white for the GI (maybe they just do that by default for all games?). If I owned a GOT I would definitely want to swap that for warm white given the theme and artwork!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The inserts are all color-matched and non-ghosting.

Btw, this is my second WH20 - and it's a complete restoration - including new clear coated Mirco PF, all new PF parts - ramps/targets/mountains - literally everything... New flipper builds... New boards... New speakers... Color DMD... All new topper dome, light boards... New glass, legs and on and on...

#94 8 years ago

In the alternate pinball world do anti-LEDers buy new stern games and replace them with incandescents? I'd love to see some pics.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

In the alternate pinball world do anti-LEDers buy new stern games and replace them with incandescents?

No, because Sterns until Spike used a freakin florescent tube

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hope to get them to you soon. I just installed all sunlight frosted in Nascar pin. Still being worked on but a week or so.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Hope to get them to you soon. I just installed all sunlight frosted in Nascar pin. Still being worked on but a week or so.

Thanks!!

Just to be sure there is no confusion.
We carry a 2 LED and a 2 SMD, the latter being almost twice as bright.
Its the 2 LED that is a bit brighter then an incandescent, and pretty Nice on EM and SS.
The 2 SMD 2835, is much brighter, and is found in New Stern Game Releases.
Between these two, is a 1 SMD 5050...what is found in most Game Kits.

All 3 are now in Sunlight!

#98 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

#99 8 years ago

Having seen the Comet 2-LED sunlights in the examples above, I'm thinking of grabbing a pack or two as well for my RBION. Different colours look great, but I think that's one where a mixture of sunlight and natural white should look really nice across the GI, as well as a number of the inserts.

High Speed might cop a going-over with them too. They look like the first "retro" lamp that actually looks/disperses like an incandescent!

#100 8 years ago

My spidy is all led from comet. Its on route and people tell me its the nicest looking around. It has double its profits since the change over to leds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apologies-to-the-purists/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.