(Topic ID: 330497)

APOLOGIES from east Tennessee..... we aren't all profiteers.

By CoolCatPinball

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pincoin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ETS (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230202_142208_Brave (resized).jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

After just seeing the postings of 9 NIB pins from a user called "at1105", I feel embarrassed to admit I'm from the same geographical area as this guy. Apologies to everyone for the NIB greedy flipper mentality. Please don't think poorly of me or my fellow south-easterners. His prices are insane, and the fact that he turned commenting off speaks volumes...... Flip on my friends, rant over.

#2 1 year ago

We don’t. Idiots come in all shapes and sizes from all over.

#3 1 year ago

Unless it’s a second account of yours that is.

#4 1 year ago

These East Tennesseans I tell ya. JK! Lol

Jokes aside, idc what people ask for their machines. If someone's willing to pay it, so be it. If not, and they're serious about wanting to sell it, they'll keep dropping the price till it sells. Simple as that.

On the other hand, that nib Supreme is still for sale @ $100k. JS.

#5 1 year ago

Why would anyone buy from him when many of those are readily available from distros for way less?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Why would anyone buy from him when many of those are readily available from distros for way less?

Yeah, my favorite is $27,999 for an Iron Maiden LE. Sure they're not available from distributors anymore, but damn son... 28K ?!?!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Please don't think poorly of me or my fellow south-easterners.

Your a coolcat !

#8 1 year ago

Prices seem not too bad IMO.

Where else are you going to fin NIB games like those?

If you don't like the price then go try to buy a used One?

#9 1 year ago

Some people love pinball and behave with integrity and fairness so the hobby is accessible and enjoyable to as many people as possible. Some people are greedy douchebags.

#10 1 year ago

In general, my experience is that NIB fetches about $2k over market. He's spot on with a couple of titles, but WAY off on others. But whatever, I'm not offended.

#11 1 year ago

The prices aren't that bad for NIB. Calling someone an idiot for an honest listing isn't cool, reflects more on you than anything.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The prices aren't that bad for NIB. Calling someone an idiot for an honest listing isn't cool, reflects more on you than anything.

While I disagree with you on the prices not being bad, I don't disagree with you about name calling. I edited the topic to be more representative of my feelings about pin flippers.

#13 1 year ago

while we're at it, let's also point fingers and name-call the modders, parts producers/reproducers, restorers, playfield makers, accessory sellers, manufacturers, and every single other person here who ever sold anything for a dollar more than they paid, or that it cost them. I mean, it's a hobby after all. we all pay our bills w our love of the game.

#14 1 year ago

I always wanted to visit the volunteer state. This won't dissuade me

#15 1 year ago

Green card? I'm from east Tennessee.

Quoted from bigehrl:

while we're at it, let's also point fingers and name-call the modders...

IN

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

while we're at it, let's also point fingers and name-call the modders, parts producers/reproducers, restorers, playfield makers, accessory sellers, manufacturers, and every single other person here who ever sold anything for a dollar more than they paid, or that it cost them. I mean, it's a hobby after all. we all pay our bills w our love of the game.

Buying a pin, enjoying it, selling it for a market price that is fair to both buyer and seller is one thing. So is adding value and selling it as a profit. Buying machines to hoard in a box in your basement for 5 years just to be a profiteer and sell for maximum profit at the expense of others who could have purchased and enjoyed it NIB at the MRSP is another thing. I would do the former. I would not do the later, because it feels douchey to me. I won't behave that way. People that do seem like douches in my eyes.

#17 1 year ago

This will not dissuade me from making a once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Dolly-wood.

#18 1 year ago

No worries. There are people like that everywhere, it doesn't reflect on the region in general.

Living in NW Atlanta I do keep an eye on machines for sale in Tennessee as that's within my driving distance to pick stuff up, but I just ignored his listings as not of interest.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

So you’re saying, if I purchase a NIB pin, have it delivered to my garage still strapped to the pallet, don’t do a damn thing to it, you’d buy it from me for $15-20K more?
    Let’s start the process

The others you mention, actually(or is meant to) add value to the machine, in big or small amounts, depending what you choose to do. Regardless how it’s viewed, it’s still adding something. To literally do nothing, but yet expect to get paid that kind of money, those individuals need to go pound sand.

In any case, their money spent, their machine, their sucker to weasel money out of if they find a buyer.

It’s troubling to see so many people support such acts with words, but not with their own wallets

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

So you’re saying, if I purchase a NIB pin, have it delivered to my garage still strapped to the pallet, don’t do a damn thing to it, you’d buy it from me for $15-20K more?

i never said anything about being interested. You're embellishing my comment into a strawman argument. I just expressed that i think it's equally as "douchey" (not my words) to make a public post about other people's business, just because you don't like what's being offered, or the terms of it. There's nothing deceptive or sinister about what the guy's selling. He's got the game, if you've got the interest. If not, no hard feelings.

So it really begs the question... who's worse, the guy who legitimately capitalizes on scarcity for his business, or the guy who can't mind his own business?

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

So it really begs the question... who's worse, the guy who capitalizes on scarcity for his business, or the guy who can't mind his own business?

The first one, easy

#22 1 year ago

We all know that East Tennessee is where all of the profiteers and crooks live! All of the honest folk are in Western North Carolina

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

You don't know the difference between producing/selling a product or service, and flipping/scalping?

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i never said anything about being interested. You're embellishing my comment into a strawman argument. I just expressed that i think it's equally as "douchey" (not my words) to make a public post about other people's business, just because you don't like what's being offered, or the terms of it. There's nothing deceptive or sinister about what the guy's selling. He's got the game, if you've got the interest. If not, no hard feelings.
    So it really begs the question... who's worse, the guy who legitimately capitalizes on scarcity for his business, or the guy who can't mind his own business?

I mostly agree with this sentiment but I really don't have a problem looking down on flippers and scalpers

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flyfalcons:

You don't know the difference between producing/selling a product or service, and flipping/scalping?

I know enough to recognize that if you're looking for those games NIB and they're not available elsewhere, he IS providing you a service. I didn't say I like it, and you don't have to either. But it doesn't warrant whining on the internet. At least, not to me.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I know enough to recognize that if you're looking for those games NIB and they're not available elsewhere, he IS providing you a service. I didn't say I like it, and you don't have to either. But it doesn't warrant whining on the internet. At least, not to me.

This completely ignores the fact that they aren't available elsewhere because of said flipper. The flipper is creating this "service" by reducing the pool and forcing scarcity. Yeah yeah, this is where the good ol' "capitalism" get's thrown in so let's just get ahead of it - still a giant douche move and not good for anything in a hobby period.

#27 1 year ago

capitalism is the ultimate system of economics! until it affects me negatively!

#28 1 year ago

Making a profit on a game is ok when I do it, because I'm not a flipper. I just love pinball!

However when somebody else sells a game for more than they bought it for, I get very upset because flipping is bad for the hobby and they are a flipper.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Making a profit on a game is ok when I do it, because I'm not a flipper. I just love pinball!
    However when somebody else sells a game for more than they bought it for, I get very upset because flipping is bad and they are a flipper.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!

#30 1 year ago

Lets not get confused here. Buying games, enjoying them, then selling said games for fair market value (even if that is a hefty profit) doesn't make you a flipper, profiteer, or opportunist. I have zero issues with someone profiting from a game they bought to enjoy.

Buying multiple LE games, NIB, with the sole intention of sitting on them, hoping the market continues to trend upwards so you can then sell said games still NIB at crazy prices does make you a flipper, profiteer, and opportunist.

This behavior I DO have an issue with. It's bad for the hobby, creates artificial demand, fuels the FOMO, and is just a crappy move in general.

#31 1 year ago

I hate to break the news to people. Pinball machines are an asset and have no magical value.

#32 1 year ago

Stern LEs !! Who needs Stern LEs ?! Sold out everywhere! I got 5 NIB! Only 17k!! Real nice price!!

That's a scalper/flipper....

Screenshot_20230202_142208_Brave (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230202_142208_Brave (resized).jpg

#33 1 year ago

I for one am glad we have a free market in pinball. If I buy a machine I certainly wouldn't want any restrictions placed on why I bought it (Hobby or business) what I could do with it, how long I can own it, how I sell it, who I could sell it to, if I am allowed to sell it, how much I could sell it for etc etc. This hobby deals in high value assets (relatively speaking) that can increase and decrease in value. The last ten years has been unusual as a huge demand has come to market with very little supply. We all reap the benefits as we see the new pinball manufacturers, innovations, and parts increase to meet demand.

In this argument the seller took a business risk to establish a high volume of overhead, upfront cash and then storage, with no guarantee of profit. I understand that people feel like this could have been sold to someone else that wanted to play it but back to my original point I prefer the freedom to do that then to be told I can't buy because of what my intention is for buying it.

#34 1 year ago

Lets not get confused here. Buying games, enjoying them, then selling said games for fair market value (even if that is a hefty profit) doesn't make you a flipper, profiteer, or opportunist. I have zero issues with someone profiting from a game they bought to enjoy.
    Buying multiple LE games, NIB, with the sole intention of sitting on them, hoping the market continues to trend upwards so you can then sell said games still NIB at crazy prices does make you a flipper, profiteer, and opportunist.
    This behavior I DO have an issue with. It's bad for the hobby, creates artificial demand, fuels the FOMO, and is just a crappy move in general.

I don't see how you can so easily determine who are the good guys or bad guys by using a metric of whether you "enjoyed" a game or not. Everyone profits just the same.

#35 1 year ago

Honestly, I give props to someone that can store a pinball for so long and not open it.

I call dibs on the next $10k NIB Funhouse that pops up.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't see how you can so easily determine who are the good guys or bad guys by using a metric of whether you "enjoyed" a game or not. Everyone profits just the same.

Enjoying it wasn't the metric in my example. Hoarding NIB LE pins for resale vs. buying for personal use was. Perhaps that wasn't clear.

#37 1 year ago

Buying multiple LE games, NIB, with the sole intention of sitting on them,...This behavior I DO have an issue with. ...

This is actually the only part I don't have a problem with. The pedestal that dumb ass LEs are put on is recockulus.
    We all know they aren't worth anything; it''s a status symbol....and you gotta pay for status.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is actually the only part I don't have a problem with. The pedestal that dumb ass LEs are put on is recockulus.
    We all know they aren't worth anything; it''s a status symbol....and you gotta pay for status.

Fair enough. I still have a strong dislike for NIB profit flippers, regardless of trim level. It's almost always LEs though due to the "limited" number produced.

#39 1 year ago

Fair enough. I still have a strong dislike for NIB profit flippers, regardless of trim level. It's almost always LEs though due to the "limited" number produced.

THere's early proof that Stern and JJP have eliminated "scalping" of LEs from the equation by raising the price of them to $14,000-$15,000. Today's potential LE buyer will have no difficulty at all at finding a new top of the line Bond or TS4 at original sticker price.

So everybody's happy, right? We bitched, you listened; thanks Stern!

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

THere's early proof that Stern and JJP have eliminated "scalping" of LEs from the equation by raising the price of them to $14,000-$15,000. Today's potential LE buyer will have no difficulty at all at finding a new top of the line Bond or TS4 at original sticker price.
    So everybody's happy, right? We bitched, you listened; thanks Stern!

Lol, true assessment man. The manufacturers aren't leaving much meat on the bone these days.

#41 1 year ago

We bitched and Stern screwed us ...

#42 1 year ago

I support the free market. I agree people should have the right to hoard and scalp. And I have the right to think those people are douches.

#43 1 year ago

Profiteers - Buccaneers, whatever.

ETS (resized).jpgETS (resized).jpg
    #44 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I had a huge friend crowd over last weekend. Non pinheads. All gasping over an Iron Man.
    They have no clue. I could have a Tron LE parked along side but it wouldn’t matter. They didn’t touch my Tron at all. Ha.

#45 1 year ago

After just seeing the postings of 9 NIB pins from a user called "at1105", I feel embarrassed to admit I'm from the same geographical area as this guy. Apologies to everyone for the NIB greedy flipper mentality. Please don't think poorly of me or my fellow south-easterners. His prices are insane, and the fact that he turned commenting off speaks volumes...... Flip on my friends, rant over.

Non needed sir. All good. I did glance at those postings and laughed.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Non needed sir. All good. I did glance at those postings and laughed.

Ditto

#47 1 year ago

The whole point of the limited status is to fuel demand. All LE buyers know this and hope to profit.

The answer is to not buy LE games and being patient. Problem is not sellers but people willing to pay higher prices to have a hot game now. People were paying upwards of $18000 for a JJP GnR LE back when it was the hot new, gotta have it game. Now you can find one for less than half that.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

The whole point of the limited status is to fuel demand. All LE buyers know this and hope to profit.
    The answer is to not buy LE games and being patient. Problem is not sellers but people willing to pay higher prices to have a hot game now. People were paying upwards of $18000 for a JJP GnR LE back when it was the hot new, gotta have it game. Now you can find one for less than half that.

Schwa? I think they were paying $18k for a GnRCE, not an LE. The CEs still bring more than the $12.5k MSRP although personally I think the LEs are prettier.

#49 1 year ago

That’s nothing you should see what a beer costs In Nashville where all the bachelorette parties are. Yikes.

#50 1 year ago

I am somewhat insulted, that you are apologizing, for free market offerings. That does not say I don't think it is an idiotic free market offering. Profiteering is when only 2 people in a town have clean drinking water and 1 of them is asking 10k per gallon. You could be a privateer and go steal his inventory....

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apologies-from-east-tennessee-we-aren-t-all-idiots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.