• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U4.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi Guys!
Can anybody confirm the chip they have at U4 on the CPU/Sound board. is it a 6264?
I was looking at my apollo 13 CPU board and noticed(see picture) that my U4 chip is smaller then the socket it's in. Which really isn't uncommon on some boards but I checked my schematics anyhow. The book is calling for a 6264/6116 chip. But I have a 5116 chip in the socket. I checked for any service bulletins that would point to this change and didn't see any.

Brian
U4.jpgU4.jpg

#2 10 years ago

5116 is generally slower than 6116 though it depends on the specific chip and its speed rating. Otherwise they are both pretty much the same (CMOS, TTL, tri-state, organization, etc.)

You can almost always sub a 5116 with a 6116. The other way around depends upon the application. If its working for you I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not replace it with a 6116.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply Viperwk,
The only issue i've seen, and it's probably not related, is that "Spirit in the sky" doesn't play during the multiball. I'm still trying to track this problem down with no luck. It also doesn't play in attract mode even though the display is showing the movie clip of the guys in the capsule playing the song on the walkman.

Brian

#4 10 years ago

Still have that problem eh? Do you have a spare 6116 to throw in there just in case? I doubt that's the problem but you never know.

If you don't have a 6116, PM me. I might be able to help.

viperrwk

#5 10 years ago

LOL yep.
I ordered a few spares and they should be on their way. Thank you for the offer though. I'll report back if this fixes it. Fingers crossed!

Brian

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Fingers crossed!

Mine too! Good luck!

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago

i also have the 5116-10 with a 9515 5eb on line three. my other chipset is the same as yours, and board is the same too. I cannot get 'Spirit in the Sky' to play at all. Everything else seems to be playing fine.
If you find out anything please let me know.
Thanks!
Curtis

#8 10 years ago

I will surely let you know Curtis, I hope to have the new chip in a day or two and I will update this thread.

Brian

#9 10 years ago

Just read this thread. I also have A13 and can't get it to play "Spirit in the Sky". I'd love to know what the outcome is. I also have to say, I love this game! It is a great title for anyone who loves space-age stuff. And it's also a blast to play. I'm curious to see how this mystery is solved.

#10 10 years ago

Ok Guys, Bad news good news.
Bad news: The new chip did not work. In fact, when I put the new chip in, I had no sound at all.

Good News: I put the old chip back in and bam! Spirit in the sky played during multiball! I played several games and even heard some new sounds. So re-seating the old chip, (again) seemed like it worked this time. But I tell ya, I was expecting the actual song to play and not a tin soup can synthesized version of it.
It is also very hard to hear, I actually had to catch the balls on the flippers to stop all the other sounds in the game from interfering and concentrate on hearing the music. And it is a sped up version too.

Brian

#11 10 years ago

You might need a new socket for that RAM - only reason I can think of why the new chip did not work since they are organized the same and the 6116 is faster. Or perhaps the new one is bad...

And sorry for the disappoint on the song. Maybe it will stop working again and you can enjoy the silence!

viperrwk

#12 10 years ago

Thanks Viperwk,
You are probably right about the socket. I believe this machine was stored in a unheated garage or storage area for awhile. There are a lot of tarnished connectors and solder joints on the boards.

My reaction to the music was even better.

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollo-13-u4-cpu-chip-confirmation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.