Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by 60Grit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Front (resized).JPG
Head (resized).JPG
Cabinet (resized).JPG
Bottom Playfield (resized).JPG
Top Playfield (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

So I have an Apollo 13 that the seller is going to hold for a couple days while I do a bit of research. The machine itself is essentially unused, having only played a dozen games or so when it was new. It appears to have been untouched for the last 20 years but unfortunately was stored in a garage where it experienced some amount of rusting due to moisture in the air.

Upon power-up, the GI lighting works but the game does little else. I do notice a very slow shaking, as if the shaker motor is trying to work, as well as the left flipper engaging on it's own in an extremely underpowered manner.

I wanted to get some opinions from the esteemed members of this forum as to possible issues preventing power-up as well as expected problems associated with exposure to moisture in the air.

Thanks!

Yak

#2 1 year ago

Hi Yak. I purchased my A13 in the same condition a few years ago. It's a challenging game to repair if you're not comfortable/knowledgeable with electronics. If no one has truly touched it in 20 years, I'd look for battery corrosions on the top right corner of the CPU/Sound board. The next thing I would do is check all the supply voltages on CPU/Sound and I/O Power Driver boards. Finally, check all of the fuse holders and fuse values. I had so many fuse holders that were bad, I just replaced them all. Good luck!

Rich

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from 60Grit:

Hi Yak. I purchased my A13 in the same condition a few years ago....

Rich, the machine was gifted to a lady for helping liaison between the movie studio and Sega/Stern. She said that it went straight into the garage and, by the looks of it, I believe her. Fortunately the leaking batteries didn't get onto the board so any damage to the machine is environmental or age related. Could you elaborate a bit on issues you saw in your machine? I'm still trying to decide if this is a project I want and, considering the condition, how much to offer for it...

Yak

#4 1 year ago

Yak, my machine has a very different history. I'm not sure the issues I had will translate to your situation. My machine was on location for many years and then sold to a private owner. It was not properly maintained and played until the game would not place a ball into play anymore. After sitting in a non-playable state for a couple of years, the owner put it up for sale on Craig's list. I was the 1st one to respond.

I've played A13 in the past and love the theme and game play. It was my decision to completely disassemble the machine and clean, repair, and polish everything to best of my ability. Everything works now, but a lot of time and money was spent on this project. I don't think I could sell it for a profit, but I'm planning on keeping it my collection for a long time. I've walked away from two previous A13 sales because of high price and poor condition.

When you can't boot the game and go into diagnostics to test sound, display, switches, solenoids, and motors, you really don't know what you're getting into. If the playfield, plastics, and cabinet look good, maybe it's worth the risk. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

Bottom Playfield (resized).JPGCabinet (resized).JPGFront (resized).JPGHead (resized).JPGTop Playfield (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 999.00
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside