Apollo 13 mylar original or not

By marschner

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have an Apollo 13 which has Mylar pretty much covering most of the playfield.
It looks original but anyone knows if the game was shipped with this from the factory?

#2 3 years ago

Based on the machines I've seen, I would say no, it's not factory. If anywhere needed some mylar it would be at the top lanes where the ball drops, and I always see signs of wear there.

I know some earlier solid states sometimes came with mylar that was up to the purchaser to put on, but haven't heard about this on DMDs.

#3 3 years ago

HighVoltage
It just looks very original and fits around posts, slingshots etc. everywhere.
The lower playfield is covered by one large piece.

#4 3 years ago

I have various full mylar die cuts for some older playfields. Distributors had them and or you could request the factory.

#5 3 years ago

chad
So they were available as extras but not put on from factory?
It definately looks like full mylar especially made for A13 and is also perfectly put on the playfield.
I guess these full mylars are not available anymore?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

chad
So they were available as extras but not put on from factory?
It definately looks like full mylar especially made for A13 and is also perfectly put on the playfield.
I guess these full mylars are not available anymore?

Most likely all issued and used. It seemed that Data East/ Sega installed at the factory for the majority of production. On Williams, Bally it was hit or miss. Later Gottlieb Premier games all had a thicker factory set mylar.

#7 3 years ago

chad
I plan on putting on a playfield protector on but I don´t dare to take off the mylar, just wanted it nice and shiny under the protector.

#8 3 years ago

I had the factory mylar on an A13.
Removed it, no problem, using freeze spray.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

... but I don´t dare to take off the mylar, just wanted it nice and shiny under the protector.

You want it REAL shiny under there? Get thst damn mylar off

#10 3 years ago

Jjsmooth
Some say freeze some swear to heat. hmm??

#11 3 years ago

TheLaw
Yeah I know but since it´s factory put on I would rather leave it on, and also afraid of damaging the paint when removing.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

Jjsmooth

Modern games freeze spray works extremely well and quick. Never tried to heat one so csnt comment.

Quoted from marschner:

...and also afraid of damaging the paint when removing.

Games that late are all clear coated and should be fine.
Whilst you have it all apart I would really think aboot finding a hidden area to test freeze.
But i can tell you're a little skittish by the fact you are literally going to put 2 protecting layers on the machine.

#13 3 years ago

On High Speed, i tried both; heat and freeze.
Freeze worked MUCH better on that one.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

On High Speed, i tried both; heat and freeze.
Freeze worked MUCH better on that one.

This is what scares people though. Machines of that era, eXpecially HS, are notoriously awful to do.

#15 3 years ago

I am sure my HS had the mylar put after it left the factory.
My Police Force definately had it from the factory.
On HS i lost some paint around the pops with heat. I stopped immediately.

I had all of the mylar off in 15 minutes by freezing it. No paint loss or insert print lost by freezing. YMMV
Getting the glue off, well, that sucked. Probably 2.5 hours plus, spread out over several nights.
Also, i am in HVAC/R so freezing things is much easier for me.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

I used freeze spray on my original STTNG playfield and the Mylar came right off. That being said, only the Mylar came off and it was clean...all the glue remained on the board. Folks swear by using alcohol and flower to turn the glue into a gummy sticky ball. I didn't bother to remove any of the glue as I only wanted to remove the Mylar to use as a pattern to cut new Mylar for my replacement playfield..

#17 3 years ago

Using flour on a Cleared PF?! New one to me

#18 3 years ago

I hear you all Freeze it is.
How did you remove the remaining glue then.
I have also never heard of flour for this.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

How did you remove the remaining glue then.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I didn't bother to remove any of the glue as I only wanted to remove the Mylar to use as a pattern to cut new Mylar for my replacement playfield.

#20 3 years ago

Okay, but what IS the best way of removing the glue?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

Okay, but what IS the best way of removing the glue?

When I removed my mylar from Indiana Jones I put down paper towels soaked with Goo Gone. Worked good and smelled nice (orange scent)

#22 3 years ago

chad
then they just soaked up the glue or..?

#23 3 years ago

I use paper towels too. Sprayed with iso alcohol. Let it sit for few minutes, keeping it wet.
Sprinkle flour on it, rub it around, with pressure.
You'll get the hang of it

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from marschner:

chad
then they just soaked up the glue or..?

Loosened the glue n I cely and removed fairly easy. This was on if I recall one, of the This Old Pinball episodes.

#25 3 years ago

Alchohol and flour. Iso for playfield and beer for me.
I did try goo gone but apparently did not give it the necessary time to soften the glue.

#26 3 years ago

The alcohol dissolves the glue but only temporary. The purpose of the flour is to give something for the glue to bond with in those few seconds that its lifted from.the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.