Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nimbus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello everyone. Got a noobie here. My apologies in advance if I violate protocol in some way. I read through the guidelines and think I have them down, but if I do something wrong please let me know.

I am just getting into the hobby. Loved pinball machines growing up and am just now able to buy one of my own.

I recently purchased an Apollo 13 (probably not the best first machine to start off with, but I really like the theme). I picked it up from a very nice gentleman who decided to sell it because he was moving. Overall it is a nice looking machine. I did a little research before buying so I checked to make sure the 13 ball function was working correctly, rocket works, magnet and the moon work. The display worked fine when I was trying it out. After getting it home, and setting it up, the display would come on briefly showing something like "Apollo 13..." Sorry I should have written down what it showed, but I didn't know it would be going out. The display would stay on for a little bit and then go out. The machine would do nothing and then it would cycle through what appeared to be a system check (moon would rotate, lights would go on and off) and then the machine was playable. Just no display. That lasted for about four or five start ups and now there is a very brief voice tone (hard to make out it is so short). The machine then appears to shut off, but it doesn't. It then comes to life, cycles through with the moon moving and it is playable.

My fingers are crossed hoping that maybe something came loose when moving the machine (folded the top down, legs off, during transport). Even if this is true, I have no idea on where/how to start to address this issue.

Thoughts? Comments? Will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance.

#2 10 years ago

First is go over major connectors - line in, to transformer, and boards in the head and check for any that came loose.

Next up is check for crappy fuse holders on power supply board - they are notorious for coming loose from board or not gripping fuses tight enough over time.

That should help you gain some ground.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Thank you for the advice LTG.

I looked over all the wiring and there was a white wire on the plug that connects to the power supply board that came loose. It just need to be pinched back into place.

Next issue that I am having with the machine is that the auto plunger is making a noise like it is trying to plunge when the ball first pops up. Then once the ball is plunged it starts making the noise four or five more times and then it stops. It sounds like "pop", "pop", "pop", etc. Just sounds like it is trying to plunge the ball over and over but the ball has already been plunged and is being played.

Any thoughts on that or does this deserve a new topic?

And again, thank you for the previous help.

#4 10 years ago

I'd go into switch test and see if the shooter lane switch is opening and closing, causing the auto plunger to think a ball is there.

#5 10 years ago

Will do. I will post how it goes in the morning. Time to put the kiddos down for the night.

#6 10 years ago

Hello LTG.

Well, after reading what you wrote I thought I knew what you were talking about. Turns out I don't.

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollol-13-owners-need-your-help-please

I did find this thread and I think my issue may be similar to what was going on there.

The ball is kicked up to the blue rails to be ready for launch, but the rod (appears to be the third picture in the thread) just keeps popping like it is trying to kick the ball up top. Does this still sound like one of the switches? If so, what might I look for when I go into the diagnostics and check switches? This may be a huge question and I may be too vague. My apologies if that is the case.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Nimbus:

Does this still sound like one of the switches? If so, what might I look for when I go into the diagnostics and check switches?

Yes.

In diagnostics see if the shooter lane switch works and isn't broken, and any switches close to the up kicker plunger are working and not closing again so the machine thinks a ball is there and keeps kicking.

#8 10 years ago

Went in and learned quite a bit about the switch diagnostics for this machine. Looks like it may be the opto switch for the VUK (did I say that right?). Trying to figure out ways to test this to see if it is the transmitter or the receiver board of the opto switch.

Might be best to get a new set and just install them?

From what I have discovered, this seems to be a fairly consistent problem with these systems.

Thank you for all of your guidance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollo-13-issue-with-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.